Academic paper - After the Hammer: Five Years of Meads v Meads

Moderator: Burnaby49

DNetolitzky
Chief Landscaper of the Quatloosian Meads

Re: Academic paper - After the Hammer: Five Years of Meads v Meads

Post by DNetolitzky »

JohnPCapitalist wrote: Fri May 18, 2018 12:41 am Whoops. I meant Donald, as in Netolitzky. Senior moment, and wrote the last post under pressure to run out for a meeting.
No problem at all. When you have a name like mine, you get used to answering to "hey you!"

Though I do have to admit I found it pretty cute when my students used to refer to me as "Dr. N."

Donald
Burnaby49
Quatloosian Ambassador to the CaliCanadians

Post by Burnaby49 »

You suggest that this may just be due to the fact that creating pseudo-law is hard, requiring sustained intellectual effort on the part of one or more people. That is true, but after Meads, it required no more intellectual effort than before. I'd argue that this lack of creativity is perhaps more a function of demoralization and "battle fatigue" than the inability to mount a sustained effort on a complex project. ...
I'd disagree with the emphasized sentence for two reasons.

1 - They can't think of anything new and original to replace the old discredited stuff because they didn't think of the old discredited stuff in the first place. As Donald has acknowledged Robert Menard basically established and popularized Canadian Freemanism. Yet before becoming Canada's leading freeman theorist he was just a street comedian in Vancouver telling jokes to passersby for small change. He didn't think of anything himself, he stole it all. The Detaxers took most of their ideas from Americans via Eldon Warman and Menard took what he needed from the Detaxers. The Canadian gurus just used whatever they could get from other sources and, at the absolute most, slightly modified it to a Canadian context. That was Menard's genius, not original thought.

2 - It does get harder, a lot harder, as basic theories are demolished. The strawman and unilateral contracts, particularly the strawman, were overarching theoretical underpinnings for vast branches of alternate guru theories. Dove, Spirit, Menard, Porisky, Chief Rock, et al used the basic framework of these theories for entirely different ends. When the strawman was discredited it didn't just end one specific scam, it yanked out the foundations of a myriad of different Freeman scams. These theories represented the low-hanging fruit. After this it's very difficult to find a theory so universal in application yet so easily understood by the legally clueless. As Donald says it's more magic than law. Since none of the Freeman gurus really don't understand law they can't come up with a new legal angle, they have to go back to magic.

Take my old subject Michael Millar. No legal background or knowledge but he's absolutely certain in his own mind that he's a legal genius. Why? Because he's obsessed with the idea that different forms of styling, capitalization vs lower case, set up entirely different legal systems and different beings (strawman). Yet he can't cite any legal basis for this. The best he can do is quote Fowler's Modern English Usage. What's the underlying basis of his certainty in the face of many court losses? Magic. He still hasn't found the magic key but he's still looking. While he's a fanatic about proselytizing this magic he's incapable of the intellectual flexibility, academic rigor, and original thought to either abandon it in the face of certain loss or come up with a new magic theory. With their core theories demolished or ignored in multiple court failures the sovereigns just don't have the intellectual requisites to come up with new ones. So, as Donald says, they take a perennial like the strawman, dress it up in a new theoretic framework, and try yet again.
"Yes Burnaby49, I do in fact believe all process servers are peace officers. I've good reason to believe so." Robert Menard in his May 28, 2015 video "Process Servers".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XeI-J2PhdGs
notorial dissent
A Balthazar of Quatloosian Truth

Post by notorial dissent »

As you say, originality and/or creativity simply ARE NOT sovcit/freeman/footl characteristics or trademarks. There seems to be neither the intellectual ability or curiosity that would allow this from any of the players.
The fact that you sincerely and wholeheartedly believe that the “Law of Gravity” is unconstitutional and a violation of your sovereign rights, does not absolve you of adherence to it.
DNetolitzky

Post by DNetolitzky »

On the question of whether inventing pseudolaw is hard, we may in Canada have a very interesting opportunity to examine that hypothesis in a tangible way.

Our federal government has announced it will implement the United Nations Declaration of the Rights of Indigenous Persons [UNDRIP]. Now, if you read UNDRIP, it contains some general statements about aboriginal self government. For some time what are legally defined as "Indian Bands" instead have been referring to themselves as "First Nations", and this language has been broadly adopted in public and government circles. There is also increasing reference to Aboriginal or Indigenous Law as a kind of separate domain of law, or as its own distinct legal apparatus.

When you combine all that, there is a foundation off of which to build an entirely new pseudolaw, separate from any other that has existed to date. In a nutshell, UNDRIP recognizes we aboriginal populations aren't Canadians and can control ourselves, you already recognize us as Nations, and we have a law of our own. And that's why I don't need a driver's licence.

The intriguing thing is that so far in Canada, aboriginal-based pseudolaw schemes have been nothing more than the old Freeman/Sovereign Citizen Pseudolaw Memeplex, with an aboriginal icing on the cake. You still encounter the Strawman, silence means consent rules, etc.

Here's an example, the Squamish Sovereign Government (http://sovsqugov.org). Burnaby49 - looks like they have a new website, are they back in action? If you poke around you'll see the same old familiar concepts, there's a defacto government, copyright in name motifs, the usual stuff.

Now, it doesn't have to be that way ... or so that's my hypothesis. It ought to be possible to actually use historical aboriginal-related resources to build a new and novel pseudolaw scheme which provides advantages to its practitioners. That would take more work, yes, but seems plausible to me.

There would be the distinct advantage of not having to face Meads v Meads.

But will that happen? My suspicion is it won't, and instead we'll see more aboriginal grounded pseudolaw schemes which simply take the Pseudolaw Memeplex, and swap in that UNDRIP is what authorizes rejection or reduction of Canadian government authority.

Donald
Burnaby49

Post by Burnaby49 »

2 - It does get harder, a lot harder, as basic theories are demolished. The strawman and unilateral contracts, particularly the strawman, were overarching theoretical underpinnings for vast branches of alternate guru theories. Dove, Spirit, Menard, Porisky, Chief Rock, et al used the basic framework of these theories for entirely different ends. When the strawman was discredited it didn't just end one specific scam, it yanked out the foundations of a myriad of different Freeman scams. These theories represented the low-hanging fruit. After this it's very difficult to find a theory so universal in application yet so easily understood by the legally clueless. As Donald says it's more magic than law. Since none of the Freeman gurus really don't understand law they can't come up with a new legal angle, they have to go back to magic.
Sorry gang. I have to inflict a quote on you from that inebriated windbag Burnaby49 because he's so incompetent he neglected, when posting that comment on strawmen and unilateral contracts, to note that Meads is currently being reviewed by its author judge Rooke regarding the relevance of these two legal theories to a lawsuit at Queen's Bench. The case is under discussion here;

http://www.quatloos.com/Q-Forum/viewtop ... 48&t=11666

Rooke decided, in respect to unilateral contracts, that;
[28] The basic and critical flaw with the Three/Five Letters scheme is the same defect which invalidates all foisted unilateral agreements. The law in Canada is clear: silence does not mean agreement and cannot create a binding authority except where authorized by legislation: reviewed in Meads v Meads, at paras 458-472. A document that purports to unilaterally impose an obligation on another has no legal effect: Papadopoulos v Borg, 2009 ABCA 201 (CanLII) at para. 4; Henry v El, 2010 ABCA 312 (CanLII) at para 3, 193 ACWS (3d) 1099, leave to appeal to SCC refused, 34172 (14 July 2011).

[29] This would appear to mean that Rothweiler’s litigation is based on an imaginary “Default Judgment based on tacit agreement” that has no merit in law, and that is a basis on which I may strike out this action.
And the Strawman fared no better;
[13] The problem for Rothweiler is that this duality where he, the “living man”, has distinguished himself from the “BRENDEN-RANDALL:ROTHWEILER ESTATE” is the notorious “double/split person” or ‘Strawman’ concept, which has no basis in law. It’s a myth. He is just one individual. There is no separate “estate” linked to him. It does not matter what letter case one uses for his name or whether he adds strange punctuation inside the name. There is just one Brenden Randall Rothweiler.

[14] The ‘Strawman’ concept has been rejected in innumerable court decisions in Canada and every other country where it has appeared: Meads v Meads, at paras 417-446. Nevertheless, it seems to hold a strange fascination for OPCA litigants. If one could really split apart a physical and ‘legal’ aspects of an individual the results under the English tradition common law would probably be a slave, a human without legal status: Pomerleau v Canada (Revenue Agency), 2017 ABQB 123 (CanLII) at paras 89-95, [2017] DTC 5024. Fortunately, that drastic outcome is nothing but a thought experiment, since it is impossible to achieve that ‘split’ under Canadian law.
However the plaintiff Brenden Rothweiler has been given an opportunity to respond to the judgement and we can expect him to deliver a legal crusher to demolish Judge Rooke's decision.
"Yes Burnaby49, I do in fact believe all process servers are peace officers. I've good reason to believe so." Robert Menard in his May 28, 2015 video "Process Servers".

Burnaby49

Post by Burnaby49 »

Regarding the Squamish Sovereign Government while they do have a new website there doesn't, as you say, appear to be anything new on it. Just old wine in new bottles.

notorial dissent

OLD sour very watered wine you mean.
The fact that you sincerely and wholeheartedly believe that the “Law of Gravity” is unconstitutional and a violation of your sovereign rights, does not absolve you of adherence to it.
bmxninja357
Admiral of the Quatloosian Seas

Post by bmxninja357 »

DNetolitzky wrote: Fri May 18, 2018 1:25 pm Here's an example, the Squamish Sovereign Government (http://sovsqugov.org).
Having spent time with these folk a few years back i can say they are nice folks generally. Some of the nicest in the whole freeman realm.
That being said they are quite misguided.

The native, First nation, indian, or whatever pc term they are using will not wash. Some are residential school survivors. That much i know for certain. But tjhe legal wranglings are more than questionable.

One is claiming to be the hereditary chief of.... All of turtle island. And basically if your in north america your on turtle island. They had there own plates and insurance. I went for lunch with them in thier suv and we got no hassle. However there for lack of a better word spokesman, irene, has a video from some years ago of the cops towing that same suv. However they did not impound it. It was towed to her house. When i was where they were staying im not sure it was a reserve.

But hey, when your down with the guy who controls turtle island its all your rez right?

And irene i believe is as native as a adopted member of a tribe can be. Lets say i believe genetically she is european.

Natives may have many rights but i think as nice as they are they are only blowing smoke. And the crown dosent accept filings via smoke signals from your posterior.

Peace
Ninj
whoever said laughter is the best medicine never had gonorrhea....
notorial dissent

You have such a way with words. :snicker:
Burnaby49

Post by Burnaby49 »

Irene Gravenhorst claims to be a band member of her fake tribe but she has no aboriginal ancestry. Straight European background. We've written about Irene in passing in a number of Quatloos discussions. This one focuses on her;

http://www.quatloos.com/Q-Forum/viewtop ... 1&p=157020

SteveUK

Post by SteveUK »

Thoroughly enjoyed reading that Donald. Excellent work.
Is it SteveUK or STEVE: of UK?????
Siegfried Shrink

Post by Siegfried Shrink »

What he said.
nebuer
Gunners Mate
Gunners Mate

Post by nebuer »

DNetolitzky wrote: Fri May 18, 2018 1:25 pm On the question of whether inventing pseudolaw is hard, we may in Canada have a very interesting opportunity to examine that hypothesis in a tangible way.

Our federal government has announced it will implement the United Nations Declaration of the Rights of Indigenous Persons [UNDRIP]. Now, if you read UNDRIP, it contains some general statements about aboriginal self government. For some time what are legally defined as "Indian Bands" instead have been referring to themselves as "First Nations", and this language has been broadly adopted in public and government circles. There is also increasing reference to Aboriginal or Indigenous Law as a kind of separate domain of law, or as its own distinct legal apparatus.

When you combine all that, there is a foundation off of which to build an entirely new pseudolaw, separate from any other that has existed to date. In a nutshell, UNDRIP recognizes we aboriginal populations aren't Canadians and can control ourselves, you already recognize us as Nations, and we have a law of our own. And that's why I don't need a driver's licence.

The intriguing thing is that so far in Canada, aboriginal-based pseudolaw schemes have been nothing more than the old Freeman/Sovereign Citizen Pseudolaw Memeplex, with an aboriginal icing on the cake. You still encounter the Strawman, silence means consent rules, etc.

Here's an example, the Squamish Sovereign Government (http://sovsqugov.org). Burnaby49 - looks like they have a new website, are they back in action? If you poke around you'll see the same old familiar concepts, there's a defacto government, copyright in name motifs, the usual stuff.

Now, it doesn't have to be that way ... or so that's my hypothesis. It ought to be possible to actually use historical aboriginal-related resources to build a new and novel pseudolaw scheme which provides advantages to its practitioners. That would take more work, yes, but seems plausible to me.

There would be the distinct advantage of not having to face Meads v Meads.

But will that happen? My suspicion is it won't, and instead we'll see more aboriginal grounded pseudolaw schemes which simply take the Pseudolaw Memeplex, and swap in that UNDRIP is what authorizes rejection or reduction of Canadian government authority.

Donald
Presumably you'll have the difficulty of deciding what is and isn't pseudolaw? Won't law and pseudolaw shade into one another. There's a number of tendentious arguments that could be made on the basis of UNDRIP: it is so vague yet expansive there is a very broad scope for interpreting it to mean, well, whatever someone wants it to mean. It doesn't even define 'indigenous peoples' and some of the ideas are fairly ludicrous (e.g. Article 31 states: "Indigenous peoples have the right to maintain, control, protect and develop their ... as well as the manifestations of their sciences, technologies"). Assuming the UNDRIP will be enacted to have direct effect, I can see an obvious pseudolaw tax scam right there -- well, we will calculate our own taxes based upon alternative scientific 'estimation' approaches (really some ritual) which leads to a desired result. Of course, there is no such thing as alternative 'science' - either something is scientifically and/or mathematically rigorous, or it is not. I suspect it could cause enough mayhem without someone trying to rely on pseudolaw.
DNetolitzky

Post by DNetolitzky »

nebuer wrote: Sun May 27, 2018 4:25 pm Presumably you'll have the difficulty of deciding what is and isn't pseudolaw? Won't law and pseudolaw shade into one another. There's a number of tendentious arguments that could be made on the basis of UNDRIP: it is so vague yet expansive there is a very broad scope for interpreting it to mean, well, whatever someone wants it to mean. It doesn't even define 'indigenous peoples' and some of the ideas are fairly ludicrous (e.g. Article 31 states: "Indigenous peoples have the right to maintain, control, protect and develop their ... as well as the manifestations of their sciences, technologies"). Assuming the UNDRIP will be enacted to have direct effect, I can see an obvious pseudolaw tax scam right there -- well, we will calculate our own taxes based upon alternative scientific 'estimation' approaches (really some ritual) which leads to a desired result. Of course, there is no such thing as alternative 'science' - either something is scientifically and/or mathematically rigorous, or it is not. I suspect it could cause enough mayhem without someone trying to rely on pseudolaw.
There are two answers to that. The first is the strictly legal perspective - the fact a government signs and endorses an international treaty has no effect on domestic law. Instead, that treaty must be implemented in some manner in domestic legislation before the treaty has a legal effect within Canada.

So taking the hypothetical you identified, at present Status Indians have a potentially different tax obligation than other Canadians as a consequence of Indian Act ss 87, 90. Now, if the federal government were to announce "we have implemented UNDRIP", but those Indian Act provisions and the Income Tax Act have not been amended to as a consequence, then there would be very little basis to make an argument that, legally, the rules actually have been changed for aboriginal persons. Claims otherwise would, presumably, be pseudolaw.

Now, personally, when I write about pseudolaw subjects in Canada, I follow a bright line rule that until a Canadian court has rejected a concept, I treat that concept as though it might be real law, rather than pseudolaw. So that's the test I use. That means that there are a number of concepts floating about in Canada which I very strongly suspect are pseudolaw, but I don't out and out identify those concepts as such in the papers I prepare, until I can identify a court statement rejecting those motifs.

The reason I follow that very formal 'line in the sand' has to do with the character of my work with the Alberta Court of Queen's Bench. My contract restricts how I can publicly comment on questions of law.

But, at the same time, that means for the purposes of my academic research and writing, there is not much question about what is 'in' vs 'out', when evaluating candidate pseudolaw.

Donald
grixit
Recycler of Paytriot Fantasies

Post by grixit »

Btw, does your paper mention the fact that Meads has gone worldwide so that when people in other countries try to use their own adaptations of sovspeak, the judge can reference it.
Three cheers for the Lesser Evil!

10 . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 2
. . . . . . Dr Pepper
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . .. . . 4
DNetolitzky

Post by DNetolitzky »

grixit wrote: Sun May 27, 2018 7:26 pm Btw, does your paper mention the fact that Meads has gone worldwide so that when people in other countries try to use their own adaptations of sovspeak, the judge can reference it.
It does. Frankly, I don't think anyone who worked on the project back in 2012 imagined that as a plausible outcome. Having Meads v Meads adopted within the Commonwealth (to date Australia, New Zealand, Republic of Ireland, Northern Ireland, Scotland, Jersey) is very gratifying. So is that the public appears to have found the case a useful resource.

Being cited as a key reference by the Federal Court of Austria was extremely unexpected, and says much about how pseudolaw concepts have had a global influence.

(And with that I'll plug a publication of mine to that effect - https://www.researchgate.net/publicatio ... _Pseudolaw)

Donald
grixit
Recycler of Paytriot Fantasies

Post by grixit »

If Judge Rooke decides to retire early, he could go on a worldwide lecture tour. He could stay in the nicest hotels in every major city that has a law college while raking in 5 figure fees. I bet if he went to the Temple Bar in London, they'd let him borrow a velvet and ermine outfit and a wig for the cover photo of his memoir.
Three cheers for the Lesser Evil!

10 . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 2
. . . . . . Dr Pepper
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . .. . . 4
nebuer
Gunners Mate
Gunners Mate

Post by nebuer »

DNetolitzky wrote: Sun May 27, 2018 6:25 pm
nebuer wrote: Sun May 27, 2018 4:25 pm Presumably you'll have the difficulty of deciding what is and isn't pseudolaw? Won't law and pseudolaw shade into one another. There's a number of tendentious arguments that could be made on the basis of UNDRIP: it is so vague yet expansive there is a very broad scope for interpreting it to mean, well, whatever someone wants it to mean. It doesn't even define 'indigenous peoples' and some of the ideas are fairly ludicrous (e.g. Article 31 states: "Indigenous peoples have the right to maintain, control, protect and develop their ... as well as the manifestations of their sciences, technologies"). Assuming the UNDRIP will be enacted to have direct effect, I can see an obvious pseudolaw tax scam right there -- well, we will calculate our own taxes based upon alternative scientific 'estimation' approaches (really some ritual) which leads to a desired result. Of course, there is no such thing as alternative 'science' - either something is scientifically and/or mathematically rigorous, or it is not. I suspect it could cause enough mayhem without someone trying to rely on pseudolaw.
There are two answers to that. The first is the strictly legal perspective - the fact a government signs and endorses an international treaty has no effect on domestic law. Instead, that treaty must be implemented in some manner in domestic legislation before the treaty has a legal effect within Canada.

So taking the hypothetical you identified, at present Status Indians have a potentially different tax obligation than other Canadians as a consequence of Indian Act ss 87, 90. Now, if the federal government were to announce "we have implemented UNDRIP", but those Indian Act provisions and the Income Tax Act have not been amended to as a consequence, then there would be very little basis to make an argument that, legally, the rules actually have been changed for aboriginal persons. Claims otherwise would, presumably, be pseudolaw.

Now, personally, when I write about pseudolaw subjects in Canada, I follow a bright line rule that until a Canadian court has rejected a concept, I treat that concept as though it might be real law, rather than pseudolaw. So that's the test I use. That means that there are a number of concepts floating about in Canada which I very strongly suspect are pseudolaw, but I don't out and out identify those concepts as such in the papers I prepare, until I can identify a court statement rejecting those motifs.

The reason I follow that very formal 'line in the sand' has to do with the character of my work with the Alberta Court of Queen's Bench. My contract restricts how I can publicly comment on questions of law.

But, at the same time, that means for the purposes of my academic research and writing, there is not much question about what is 'in' vs 'out', when evaluating candidate pseudolaw.

Donald
Of course, if they just ratify it, then it might not mean very much. But what you said is that they'd go ahead and *implement* it: which I presume means make some or all of those ideas Canadian law. Then things would be a lot more complicated. But it depends on what your Parliament actually implements: having googled it quickly, it seems that one bill nearly went as far as trying to transpose UNDRIP into Canadian law (although that didn't gain much traction, to say the least).

Turning to the line you draw, my concern (surprisingly) is that it might not be conservative enough. What they'd be making is a new form of discrimination law. Discrimination law can often lead to surprising decisions that most Judges would not expect or find intuitive, let alone lay people. For example, in the UK it is possible to subconsciously victimize someone (Nagarajan v London Regional Transport [1999] IRLR 572), the BBC's values can be treated as equivalent to an established religion (Maistry v BBC) and that a racist can be protected on the basis that they were angry due to something related to their disability even if they have no relevant mental impairment (in the case at hand, not being allowed into a non-wheelchair accessible building: see Risby v London Borough of Waltham Forest UKEAT/0318/15/DM). All of those ideas, would before their time, easily be seen as some form of pseudolaw. The mere fact that a Judge might at first instance reject them doesn't mean they are wrong or psuedolaw. Indeed, with the latter example (i.e. Risby), the House of Lords got the underlying provision badly wrong ( London Borough of Lewisham v Malcolm [2008] UKHL 43) and Parliament therefore rewrote it two years later.