Re: Belanger on trial!

Post by Siegfried Shrink »

Belanger has a family? Hard to believe.
Jeffrey
Admiral of the Quatloosian Seas

Post by Jeffrey »

To be frank, the charges are a bit of a let down. If he had something spicier like a weapons cache or a meth lab we could have a proper trial.
Burnaby49
Quatloosian Ambassador to the CaliCanadians

Post by Burnaby49 »

Siegfried Shrink wrote: Thu Sep 13, 2018 12:01 am Belanger has a family? Hard to believe.
I believe he and his wife separated decades ago but never divorced. I think he has a couple of adult daughters.
"Yes Burnaby49, I do in fact believe all process servers are peace officers. I've good reason to believe so." Robert Menard in his May 28, 2015 video "Process Servers".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XeI-J2PhdGs
NYGman

Post by NYGman »

Burnaby49 wrote: Thu Sep 13, 2018 12:13 am
Siegfried Shrink wrote: Thu Sep 13, 2018 12:01 am Belanger has a family? Hard to believe.
I believe he and his wife separated decades ago but never divorced. I think he has a couple of adult daughters.
Doesn't he own his children, are they not his property for him to do as he pleases, or am I mixing him up with another wacko preacher type, it's so hard to remember all the crazies.
The Hardest Thing in the World to Understand is Income Taxes -Albert Einstein

Freedom's just another word for nothing left to lose - As sung by Janis Joplin (and others) Written by Kris Kristofferson and Fred Foster.
Burnaby49

Post by Burnaby49 »

NYGman wrote: Thu Sep 13, 2018 1:01 am
Burnaby49 wrote: Thu Sep 13, 2018 12:13 am
Doesn't he own his children, are they not his property for him to do as he pleases, or am I mixing him up with another wacko preacher type, it's so hard to remember all the crazies.
Belanger doesn't hold that particular belief. His specialties are biblical justification for the use of marijuana and getting out of paying your mortgage and other debts through sincere religious beliefs. Potvin, the case I'll be writing up as soon as it becomes available on CanLII, involved a guy who tried to use Belanger's bullshit to get out of paying his mortgage. He also demanded $17,000,000 from the bank for wanting him to pay it back.
"Yes Burnaby49, I do in fact believe all process servers are peace officers. I've good reason to believe so." Robert Menard in his May 28, 2015 video "Process Servers".

NYGman

Post by NYGman »

Must have been another one. I think it was that US guy that was in Canada for a while, whose name escapes me right now. I could probably find him if I bothered to look, but as it's late I will just accept the fact that the use of the KJV is not uncommon amongst these folk and not all are Belenger.
The Hardest Thing in the World to Understand is Income Taxes -Albert Einstein

Freedom's just another word for nothing left to lose - As sung by Janis Joplin (and others) Written by Kris Kristofferson and Fred Foster.
Burnaby49

Post by Burnaby49 »

The Facebook posting that alerted me that Belanger was in the slammer started with this plaintive plea;
Edward Jay Robin Belanger
August 20 at 12:41 PM ·

This is robin's daughter. His court is tomorrow morning at 9 am in Edmonton. Courtroom 267. He is in need of witnesses. Anyone available come down tomorrow morning courtroom 267.
Seemingly to no avail. Belanger's wife showed up and, for a time, so did Ken Kirk, a well known (locally) marijuana activist we've discussed here;

http://www.quatloos.com/Q-Forum/viewtop ... 47#p262647

That, apparently, was about it for all of the actual 'get off the couch and go to court' support Belanger could muster. That's common amongst OPCA types, big on Facebook support but not as enthusiastic about actually making the effort to show up.

Pottapaug1938
Supreme Prophet (Junior Division)

Post by Pottapaug1938 »

Burnaby49 wrote: Thu Sep 13, 2018 5:26 am The Facebook posting that alerted me that Belanger was in the slammer started with this plaintive plea;
Edward Jay Robin Belanger
August 20 at 12:41 PM ·

This is robin's daughter. His court is tomorrow morning at 9 am in Edmonton. Courtroom 267. He is in need of witnesses. Anyone available come down tomorrow morning courtroom 267.
Seemingly to no avail. Belanger's wife showed up and, for a time, so did Ken Kirk, a well known (locally) marijuana activist we've discussed here;

http://www.quatloos.com/Q-Forum/viewtop ... 47#p262647

That, apparently, was about it for all of the actual 'get off the couch and go to court' support Belanger could muster. That's common amongst OPCA types, big on Facebook support but not as enthusiastic about actually making the effort to show up.
"Witnesses" to precisely WHAT? Or, more precisely, "witnesses" to precisely WHAT which might have anything to do with his court case? Somehow, I don't think that a whine an appeal like this will turn up anyone of value.
"We've been attacked by the intelligent, educated segment of the culture." -- Pastor Ray Mummert, Dover, PA, during an attempt to introduce creationism -- er, "intelligent design", into the Dover Public Schools
notorial dissent
A Balthazar of Quatloosian Truth

Post by notorial dissent »

What I'm wondering is what they could possibly be witnesses to that wouldn't get them adjoining cells?
The fact that you sincerely and wholeheartedly believe that the “Law of Gravity” is unconstitutional and a violation of your sovereign rights, does not absolve you of adherence to it.
Pottapaug1938
Supreme Prophet (Junior Division)

Post by Pottapaug1938 »

When these "witnesses" show up at the courthouse, and find that they cannot testify because they have nothing relevant to Belanger's case, they will take it as A VICTORY!!!!!!!! because they will see their exclusion as the acts of courthouse personnel who are terrified of (ahahaha) The Truth Coming Out.
"We've been attacked by the intelligent, educated segment of the culture." -- Pastor Ray Mummert, Dover, PA, during an attempt to introduce creationism -- er, "intelligent design", into the Dover Public Schools
Burnaby49

Post by Burnaby49 »

I think they just mean witnessing the trial. It's a long-standing Freeman belief that having the gallery packed with your supporters somehow increases your chances of winning, almost like a popularity contest. Also it supposedly makes the judges act more honestly when our eagle-eyed Freeman legal experts are watching their every move. Since almost nobody showed up to support Belanger it's all academic anyhow.

notorial dissent

You know, I might almost feel sorry for the Right Rev Ding a Ling, almost, but not so much, since he has brought it ALL on himself, not so much.
The fact that you sincerely and wholeheartedly believe that the “Law of Gravity” is unconstitutional and a violation of your sovereign rights, does not absolve you of adherence to it.
eric
Trivial Observer of Great War

Post by eric »

Burnaby49 wrote: Thu Sep 13, 2018 2:27 am Potvin, the case I'll be writing up as soon as it becomes available on CanLII, involved a guy who tried to use Belanger's bullshit to get out of paying his mortgage. He also demanded $17,000,000 from the bank for wanting him to pay it back.
Potvin is up now on CanLii so fill yer boots with OPCA crunchiness
Burnaby49

Post by Burnaby49 »

eric wrote: Fri Sep 14, 2018 10:57 pm
Burnaby49 wrote: Thu Sep 13, 2018 2:27 am Potvin, the case I'll be writing up as soon as it becomes available on CanLII, involved a guy who tried to use Belanger's bullshit to get out of paying his mortgage. He also demanded $17,000,000 from the bank for wanting him to pay it back.
Potvin is up now on CanLii so fill yer boots with OPCA crunchiness
I just wrote it up and posted it minutes ago, focussing on how Belanger is screwed in his current trials. The CanLII link is provided in my writeup.

http://www.quatloos.com/Q-Forum/viewtop ... 48&t=11817

Burnaby49

Post by Burnaby49 »

As far as I can tell Belanger seems to be being held in custody until both his trials are over. At least there is nothing on his FaceBook page from his family saying that he's out. In fact no activity at all on his FB page since that flurry of Postings on August 20th. One plus for Belanger. All of the time he's in remand will be credited against his sentence. Perhaps even on the traditional two for one basis.

Burnaby49

Post by Burnaby49 »

Belanger had his driving while prohibited trial yesterday. A judge at the Alberta Provincial Court convicted him and he got a 30 day sentence (time served) and one year driving prohibition. He was stopped while driving his wife's car, which was seized. That might explain why she's so involved in his trial, she wants her car back. He'd produced a CERI identification card that he said allowed him to roam about without limitation. The court wasn't impressed with his argument that CERI ministers don't require government issued driving licences when they are going about their pastoral duties in their Ecclesiastical Pursuit Chariots. Apparently even CERI ministers are expected to follow statutory law as opposed to the King James Bible laws. So much for Canadian courts respecting religious beliefs. Apparently the judge clamped down hard on Belanger when he tried cross-examining Crown witnesses with his idiotic questions.

He's out on bail, promising to appear at his drug possession trial on October 3.

notorial dissent

I would have thought the drug charge(s) would be the more serious. Since he was already under suspension, just suspending him further isn't really going to do much I shouldn't think. I can't help wondering how he'll do on the drug charge?
grixit
Recycler of Paytriot Fantasies

Post by grixit »

Can they put him on double secret suspension?
Three cheers for the Lesser Evil!

10 . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 2
. . . . . . Dr Pepper
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . .. . . 4
wserra
Quatloosian Federal Witness
Quatloosian Federal Witness

Post by wserra »

Why? Are his trees are filled with underwear every Halloween? Do his toilets explode every spring?
"A wise man proportions belief to the evidence."
- David Hume
eric
Trivial Observer of Great War

Post by eric »

notorial dissent wrote: Sat Sep 22, 2018 9:17 am I would have thought the drug charge(s) would be the more serious. Since he was already under suspension, just suspending him further isn't really going to do much I shouldn't think. I can't help wondering how he'll do on the drug charge?
Considering it's going to be legal in less than a month don't expect much on the possession charge. WRT the suspension here is what we're looking at:
1. the registered owner of the vehicle (his wife) is on the hook for 30 days of impound plus tow which equals 1200$ for the impound and at least 200 for the tow.
2. his latest suspension is added on to the end of his previous suspension.
3. the loopholes on suspensions have been filled - they apply across Canada, Alberta penalties take precedence, you can't game the system by simply applying for a new licence when your old one expired, or just skip the whole licencing matter entirely since penalties for driving without one were lower than driving while under suspension.