Unrau v National Dental Examining Board - general Alberta Court of Queen's Bench commentary on pseudolaw litigation

Moderator: Burnaby49

DNetolitzky
Chief Landscaper of the Quatloosian Meads

Unrau v National Dental Examining Board - general Alberta Court of Queen's Bench commentary on pseudolaw litigation

Post by DNetolitzky »

Hi everyone,

I thought I'd point out a recent decision of Associate Chief Justice Rooke, Alberta Court of Queen's Bench, that may be of interest to the Quatloosian clan, and which might slip under the radar due to its complex character and length:

Unrau v National Dental Examining Board, 2019 ABQB 283: http://canlii.ca/t/hzztc

Unrau #2 is a general review of the Alberta Court of Queen's Bench's authority and procedures to impose court access restrictions by what is sometimes called a vexatious litigant order. There has been a lot of development in that aspect of law in Alberta and elsewhere in Canada over the past few years.

Paras 176-199, 205-212 might be of particular interest to the local readers. Associate Chief Justice Rooke reviews the current understanding of the pseudolaw phenomenon in Canada, and OPCA litigation and litigants as a whole. In some ways this is a substantial evolution of the perspective post-Meads v Meads, and now recognizes that pseudolaw is an expression of political belief, and that its host population has a substantial criminal aspect to it.

Hope that proves of some interest!

Donald Netolitzky
Tevildo
Pirate
Pirate

Re: Unrau v National Dental Examining Board - general Alberta Court of Queen's Bench commentary on pseudolaw litigation

Post by Tevildo »

Donald, thanks for the link!

It's rather a lengthy document, so I've not had time to digest it completely, but it's interesting that ACJ Rooke refers to the English court's practice of using its inherent jurisdiction to control the trial process as "The Modern Approach". It's not particuarly modern in English law - it goes back to at least Bremer Vulkan Schiffbau Und Maschinenfabrik v South India Shipping Corpn [1979] EWCA Civ 6 (which is worth a read if you like Lord Denning's distinctive approach to legal writing), and probably before that to the nineteenth century. I thought at first he was referring to the "overriding objective" approach of the CPR (Civil Procedure Rules), which were first introduced in 1999, but he never mentions this explicitly, and the leading English case he refers to (Ebert v Venvil, with which I'm sure all UK readers are familiar) was decided under the old RSC rules. A more detailed reading of the judgement is called for, I think.
Tuba Cain
Scalawag
Scalawag

Re: Unrau v National Dental Examining Board - general Alberta Court of Queen's Bench commentary on pseudolaw litigation

Post by Tuba Cain »

...Unrau is a self-declared, self-taught dentist who refuses to be governed by the Alberta Dental Association...
I get that Freeman Foolishness has been weirdly attractive to dentists, but this is just ridiculous.
"The only thing which may accurately be said of a man who believes himself to be a poached egg is that he is in the minority" - James Burke, "The Day the Universe Changed"
JohnPCapitalist
Pirate Captain
Pirate Captain

Post by JohnPCapitalist »

Tuba Cain wrote: Sun May 12, 2019 11:36 pm
...Unrau is a self-declared, self-taught dentist who refuses to be governed by the Alberta Dental Association...
I get that Freeman Foolishness has been weirdly attractive to dentists, but this is just ridiculous.
Oddly enough, Scientology seems to have a disproportionate hold on dentists (and chiropractors and veterinarians). In fact, Scientology has a front group that tries to sell "business consulting" based on the supposed business acumen of L. Ron Hubbard as a tool to get them into the cult. So it's not just Freeman nonsense that seems to grab the profession. Wonder if it's something involving snorting nitrous oxide that causes it?
Chaos
Admiral of the Quatloosian Seas
Admiral of the Quatloosian Seas

Post by Chaos »

Tuba Cain wrote: Sun May 12, 2019 11:36 pm
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-RbfiiIHHxY
DNetolitzky
Chief Landscaper of the Quatloosian Meads

Post by DNetolitzky »

I think it would be fair to say the Bernie Unrau saga is much stranger than what one might conclude after reading Unrau #2. Yes, unilaterally declaring that you are a dentist and setting up your own unlicensed, uncertified home-based dental clinic is atypical. But, with "Dr. Unrau DDS", it goes deeper than that.

A visit to Unrau's website is a very interesting experience (http://caltexpress.com/wordpressthemes/). Not only is Dr. Unrau DDS a dentist - he presents credentials on that - but he also has invented his own dental implant technology (http://caltexpress.com/wordpressthemes/inventor/).

Beyond that, Dr. Unrau DDS is also a prolific writer of screenplays (http://caltexpress.com/wordpressthemes/screenwriter-2/) and fiction (http://caltexpress.com/wordpressthemes/author-3/). Much of his work has what one might call a "derivative flavour". For example, his most recent screenplay (http://caltexpress.com/wordpressthemes/ ... ed-c-2019/) is titled "Justice League Doomed?", and described as:
The caped crusader, Batman, intercepts a signal of an impending alien attack on earth while searching for the Achilles heel in the Justice League. (Superman, Batman, Wonder Woman, Aquaman, Flash, Cyborg, Martian Manhunter, Ms Victory, Shannon Carter, Jesse Quick and Black Canary). Superheroes surface during Comicon in Calgary and rise to the occasion following a direct strike on the stampede city of epic, apocalyptic proportions. The resilient citizens attempt to stave off annihilation in an intergalactic pandemic come ‘hell or high water’. Is this Earth’s final or finest hour? Will justice prevail?
I won't try to summarize the trailer for "Justice League Doomed?" (https://youtu.be/K7UWawdxLYU) because I can't.

But if that does not sate your appetite for all things Unrau, there is yet more to experience. Dr. Unrau DDS self-publishes his many novels on Amazon, and if choose to you can read snippets and samples via the "Look Inside" feature. Many of these novels feature "Dr. Gum", a character Dr. Unrau DDS says is based on himself, a kind of James Bond, detective, dentist hybrid. Here is the summary for "The Dentinator":
‘Dentinators’, medical dental robotic simulators, replacing humans in many sectors of society to alleviate fatigue, food expenses and save human lives are stolen by insurgents posing as dental students prior to an upcoming scientific conference in Las Vegas who then plan their own deadly presentation. The Terminator meets The Peacemaker.
In fact, I'm kind of tempted to say that Dr. Unrau DDS's litigation is among the least interesting things about him.

Donald Netolitzky
Tevildo
Pirate
Pirate

Post by Tevildo »

"Curriculae"? There will be no mercy on him in this world or the next. :)
wwertman
Tourist to Quatloosia
Tourist to Quatloosia

Post by wwertman »

As for his "credentials". I tried to check them but came up snake eyes. Definitely not licensed as a dentist in California or Texas, nothing in the NPI database -- and it was a no go on other societies and awards. Used to do medical provider credentialing so I have an idea how to look. But there was this hinky looking copyright lawsuit against Amblin Entertainment...

The lack of a degree or license on his website is glaring.