Shawn Alan Cassista a.k.a. "Cy"

Moderator: Burnaby49

Hilfskreuzer Möwe
Northern Raider of Sovereign Commerce
Location: R R R SS Voltaire 47N 31 26W 22 R R R SS Voltaire 47N 31 2 [signal lost]

Shawn Alan Cassista a.k.a. "Cy"

Post by Hilfskreuzer Möwe »

And it’s time for the Freeman of the Day:
Shawn Cassista, a.k.a. Shawn-Alan of the family Cassista, appeals his conviction for operating a motor vehicle without insurance, and a fine of $5000.

His lack of insurance was identified at a roadside stop for speeding. On appeal Cassista did not challenge the trial court’s finding he had no insurance: para. 5. He now complains he was denied a fair trial because the trial judge refused to hear his applications:
6. Indeed the trial Justice did refuse to hear the motions. She reviewed the history of proceedings, commented that the defendant was playing “fast and loose with the Court” and declared “motion shmotion” , ‘enough is enough” and that “this process has been abused enough”. She directed that the trial proceed and it did - over the defendant’s pouting. The issue now is whether the trial Justice committed an error of law in proceeding in this way or whether a miscarriage of justice was occasioned.
On appeal Cassista trotted out a couple stereotypical and erroneous beliefs: that he could ‘travel’ under common law as motor vehicle legislation only applies to corporations, and in any case he had not consented to that legislation: para. 7.

Justice Duncan gets right down to business and classifies him as an OPCA litigant and concludes that his arguments are garbage:
8. It is apparent that the defendant is an “Organized Pseudo-legal Commercial Argument” (OPCA) litigant of the type described, labeled, dissected, and exposed by Alberta Associate Chief Justice Rooke in Meads v. Meads [2012] A.J. No 980. While the defendant has not identified himself by any of the many names embraced by OPCA litigants, such as “Freeman on the Land”, it is clear that his approach bears many of the OPCA hallmarks and characteristics. For example, his writings show a fondness for Latin phrases and citation of legal dictionaries. He practices the bizarre “dual/split person” routine, identifying himself to the court as “Shawn-Alan of the family Cassista” and accompanies this self-identification with mumbo-jumbo about artificial persons and natural persons and being one or the other or both (Ref: Transcripts December 20 2010, May 27 2011: see Meads para 206; para 245; para 417 ) .

9. More importantly, both of these motions brought by the defendant are grounded on easily recognizable, well-worn OPCA arguments – frequently raised and uniformly rejected by the Courts (see Meads para 71). They are based on a central OPCA theme that the litigant is not bound by the law or subject to the authority of the courts. The theme and many of its iterations have been identified in Meads and thoroughly rebuked as nonsense.
His argument on statutory interpretation flows from the usual inability to understand the word “including” (para. 10), which I will return to a little later. His argument on consent is equally incorrect:
11. The second motion sought a stay of proceedings on the grounds that:
“ the Crown’s claim of the Defendant’s obligation to enter into a private insurance contract is not in harmony with fundamental principles of law and long upheld rights based on self-evident truths of necessity”

While none too clear, it appears that this argument is based on the contention that the law cannot oblige the defendant to do something - in this case obtain and maintain auto insurance - unless he consents. Put another way, it is a contention that a person can unilaterally opt-out of a law. In his brief [3] submission before me on appeal, the Appellant confirmed that that was indeed his position. Again Meads identifies and eviscerates the argument (Meads para 174; para 379-38, para 405-6).
Eviscerates! Eviscerates! I think more judgments should include that verb when evaluating in-court argument.

Oh, and footnote [3] is amusing:
[3] It was brief because I cut him off when it became apparent what nonsense he was arguing.
Now things get interesting – Cassista argues he was not given a fair chance to advance his arguments. But should the court put up with this stuff? And if so, then for how long?
12. It is beyond doubt that every litigant before the court has the right to be heard. But how much of a hearing is he entitled to? Clearly the Court is not obliged to sit passively and patiently until the litigant exhausts his breath, decides to stop and sits down. A Court is entitled to give arguments and motions short shrift. But how short is too short? The answer must depend on the circumstances, including the nature of the argument and the bona fides with which it is presented.

13. In my view, OPCA arguments are entitled to the shortest possible shrift. They are patently without merit and, as shown in Meads, have never been successful in any Court. They are arguments that are not fact or case specific and therefore can have no more merit in one case than in another – that is, none. As neatly summarized by Justice O’Donnell in R v Duncan [2012] OJ No 6405 in dealing with OPCA arguments:
Such arguments are a waste of the court's time and resources, a selfish and/or unthinking act of disrespect to other litigants and deserving of no further attention, energy or comment.

14. Moreover OPCA strategies and arguments are not bona fides but rather are designed and presented with intention to disrupt. They are scams that abuse the legal process. (Meads para 70 -71) They require a strong and swift judicial response. In Meads the Court suggested that OPCA material should not even be accepted for filing by the Court clerks and, if accepted, should be reviewed by a judge and “without further submission or representation by the litigants” be rejected (Meads para 256).

15. Accordingly, it is my view that the only hearing that such arguments are entitled to is to have the Court read and appreciate the grounds upon which the motion is based. If the motion contains incomprehensible gibberish or discloses patently ridiculous or meritless arguments or raises known rejected OPCA themes, then the Court is entitled to dismiss the motion or refuse to hear it - without further inquiry, representation or submission.

16. In this case the record is not clear that the trial Justice went even this minimal distance and informed herself as to the substance of both of the motions - though it is also not clear that she did not. She did refer to the “corporations” argument at one point (p10) and commented that the defendant was “playing” and that “enough was enough”. The other motion was not mentioned but that may be because it was incomprehensible or at least not easily described with a label. The impression however is that, given the history to that point, the justice refused to hear any more motions at all, no matter what their character or content. Her similar treatment of the 11b motion supports this impression.

17. But even assuming that the trial Justice did not go far enough and failed to conduct what I consider to be the minimal review of the defendant’s material, it is my view that he suffered no miscarriage of justice as a result. This is because, had the trial justice read the motions or even gone further and heard submissions, it is inevitable that the motions would have been rejected and dismissed. They had no merit. There is no point in awarding a new trial, particularly in these protracted proceedings, in order to have another justice conduct a brief scrutiny of the defendant’s motions before dismissing them.
Justice Duncan goes on to investigate whether the trial had been delayed too long, and then offended Cassista’s right to a trial in a reasonable time, per Charter of Rights and Freedoms, s. 11(b). The trial had had taken over two years, which was an “extraordinary delay”: para. 18. Upon detailed analysis, shockingly, it turns out Cassista himself was the author of these delays. The timeline is detailed at para. 21 for interested readers.

The Crown did not appeal the $5000 fine, which is the statutory minimum. Justice Duncan goes on to comment that persons such as Cassista require additional deterrence:
32. The Crown has not appealed sentence and I will not increase the sentence on my own initiative. I would suggest however that in the future trial courts should give serious consideration to elevated fines, licence suspensions, and vehicle impoundment in cases such as this.
So, that’s the case, how about the man?

Well, first off, he’s a 9/11 Truther. And you rude American’s won’t let him in to visit the site of the controlled demolition:
His business and trade? Tax evasion scammer: http://www.largetaxreturn4u.com/

I suspect Burnaby49 will be able to elaborate on this, but the scam here is that the taxpayer buys something like art in bulk, donates it to a charity, and then claims the donation on the retail rather than wholesale value. Cassista facilitated the process.

Cassista has a lovely blog where he explains to interested readers all about being a Freeman-on-the-Land: http://nomoretyranny.org/blogg/?page_id=2

It’s pretty routine.

Just one more website, but it’s a fun one: http://www.shawnalancassista.com/

This is Shawn’s Claim of Right Declaration of Dominion. That’s an alternative nomenclature for a Freeman document often called a Notice of Understanding and Intent and Claim of Right. These documents are mailed to senior government officials and allegedly allow the author to ‘opt out’ of the law and obligation. Sometimes their authors believe all one has to do is publish one of this ‘agreements’ online and that will do the trick too. Cassista falls into the later category.

Freemen spend an inordinate amount of time and effort on these things, as these are the magic keys that in their ideology allow escape from state authority. They are often customized, an assemblage of other related precursors. Cassista, or now known as “Cy”, has prepared a quite detailed one.

Part 1 restates a hodge podge of actual legal principles, legal maxims (some hideously irrelevant), philosophical and religious proclamations and quotes, and so on. Knitted together these form the restatement of True Law. Many are just stupid. Others are simply fiction:
“Every person is a human being, but not every human being a person.” Omnis persona est homo, sed non vieissim.
Part II is his “Declaration of Domain” – what he says his rights are. Remember I mentioned there’s a little issue with how Cy defines person? Here we go:
Whereas it is my understanding that in Canada’s Interpretation Act, section 35 (1) “person”, or any word or expression descriptive of a person, includes a corporation; “includes” means: “confines within” …
Huh. And Cy had a copy of Black's Law Dictionary. Why didn't he look up "including" in that, in any edition?

Part II continues to go on and on, decrying various politicians as Traitors, that he owns the “CANADA CORPORATION” “by virtue of my birth within the lines upon a map of the Country Canada”, that Cy is free and controller of his own fate and “Whereas I AM NOT PLAYING and” using the name of his name breaches his trademark and warrants a fee of $50,000 in gold, yadda yadda yadda… and claims “… ownership of my Birth Certificate in the corporation known as CANADA held within the Cesti que Trust and demand the physical delivery of the Original Birth Certificate.”

And though you never saw this webpage, you had 90 days from March 19, 2010 to disagree, otherwise:
Failure to register a dispute against the claims made herein and then successfully defeating these claims first in a public recording and then in a proper court of law will result in an automatic default judgment securing forevermore all rights herein claimed and establishing permanent and irrevocable estoppels by acquiescence barring the bringing of charges under any Statute or Act or Regulation against my self the free will sovereign man commonly known as Cy, aka Shawn-Alan of the Cassista family, exercising these lawful and properly established rights, freedoms and duties.
Part III is just a usual Fee Schedule – effective three years retroactive! – which weirdly enough has some of the most reasonable rates I have ever seen on one of these, though admittedly there are more irrational amounts embedded in Part II as well.

Something I sometimes do with these documents is simply take passages and Google search to see from whence they come. There’s a promising new discipline of Internet archaeology in tracing these materials, their origin and evolution.

Worth a PhD at least.

SMS Möwe
That’s you and your crew, Mr. Hilfskreuzer. You’re just like a vampire, you must feel quite good about while the blood is dripping down from your lips onto the page or the typing, uhm keyboard there... [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YNMoUnUiDqg at 11:25]
notorial dissent
A Balthazar of Quatloosian Truth

Re: Shawn Alan Cassista a.k.a. "Cy"

Post by notorial dissent »

I really like the judge's characterization in (6), blunt and to the point, definitely a genu-ine Canadian sovrunidjit, with all the trapings. So sorry!

I notice it didn't say if he actually had a valid license to go with his no insurance? The two usually go pretty much hand in hand down here, along with no valid registration.
The fact that you sincerely and wholeheartedly believe that the “Law of Gravity” is unconstitutional and a violation of your sovereign rights, does not absolve you of adherence to it.
Burnaby49
Quatloosian Ambassador to the CaliCanadians

Post by Burnaby49 »

I suspect Burnaby49 will be able to elaborate on this, but the scam here is that the taxpayer buys something like art in bulk, donates it to a charity, and then claims the donation on the retail rather than wholesale value. Cassista facilitated the process.

Elaborate on this? Would 10,000 words do? How about 20,000? I'm somewhat embarrassed to explain how these art donation scams were supposed to work because it makes the tens of thousands of my fellow countrymen who invested in them look like fools but I'm comforted by the fact that you Americans are just as gullible when it comes to schemes to screw the tax man. These schemes were huge with total donation claims in the hundreds of millions of dollars (big bucks in Canada, multiply by ten for the equivalent amount in US tax terms).

At heart the donation schemes were extremely simple. A promoter would buy a huge batch of crap art or, generally, so-called limited edition prints for next to nothing, say $50 each. They would sell these to taxpayers in batches of as many as the taxpayer wanted for say $300 each along with a piece of paper saying they were actually worth $1,000 each. The taxpayer would then donate them to charity and get a $1,000 deduction receipt for something bought by the promoter a month earlier for $50 and which cost them $300. The tax refund was larger than the $300 cost giving the taxpayer a profit on the deal.

What's the flaw in this highly sophisticated scheme? Donations in kind must be given a value equal to their fair market value (FMV). For tax purposes FMV is essentially defined as:

"the highest price obtainable in an open and unrestricted market between informed, prudent parties dealing at arm's length and under no compulsion to buy or sell, expressed in Canadian dollars."

They went to court of course and all of them lost. The taxpayer's arguments were generally that while they had bought the prints essentially wholesale they had to be valued for donation purposes at their retail values, what it would cost to buy a single print at an art store in downtown New York, the $1,000 per print amount (although, as a major flaw in their argument, they never entered evidence that the prints were actually selling for $1,000 each, it was just an unsubstantiated claim). The court's response was invariably "but you paid actual cash of $300 each just before you donated them.". "Yes your honour but I got a great deal at that price and they were really worth $1,000 each, I have a piece of paper by Joe Nobody the art appraiser saying that". Unfortunately the court had no imagination or understanding of the financial aspects of the art market or an understanding that it was the taxpayer's option to say that his transaction was wholesale at one level and retail at another. The court just got sidetracked on the actual cash amounts the taxpayers had paid for them and kept asking why that wasn't their fair market value. To quote from Klotz:

[46] The respondent's approach is in my view more realistic. Mr. Alasko described the sale to the appellant by Curated as a wholesale or bulk transaction. No doubt the respondent would have preferred to have him say it was a retail sale but in the final analysis it does not really matter what one calls it. It is what it is. It was a sale of 250 prints for $75,000 between two arm's length parties. The gift was a virtually contemporaneous disposition of the same 250 prints. What better evidence is there of what the 250 prints were worth at that time? Why chase the will o' the wisp of an elusive and largely hypothetical fmv through the trendy up scale art galleries of New York and ignore the best evidence that is right there before your very nose? The problem with the claim here, whereby property is acquired for $5 to $50, sold to the appellant for $300 and claimed to have a fmv two days later of $1,000, is that it is devoid of common sense and out of touch with ordinary commercial reality.

55] In Aikman, supra, I stated:

The intent or expectation of obtaining a tax advantage does not vitiate the charitable gift. Nonetheless an appellant in such circumstances runs a risk that the Board or the court may conclude that the best evidence of fair market value is the price at which the object was bought.

[56] I continue to be of that view. It is one thing serendipitously to pick up for $10 a long lost masterpiece at a garage sale and give it to an art gallery and receive a receipt for its true value. It is another for Curated to buy thousands of prints for $50, create a market at $300 and then hold out the prospect of a tax write-off on the basis of a $1,000 valuation. Mr. Mathew presented the appellant's case with consummate skill and persuasiveness but ultimately his case foundered on the shoals of common sense.

There were numerous tax appeals on this issue. The links below are to the key ones, particularly the Federal Court of Appeal decision in Tolley, Quinn and Nash where the wholesale retail argument was finally killed. The Tax Court actually allowed the taxpayer's appeal in Tolley Quinn and nash but the Federal Court of Appeal stomped on it.

http://www.canlii.org/en/ca/tcc/doc/200 ... cc147.html

http://decision.tcc-cci.gc.ca/en/2004/2 ... cc651.html

http://www.canlii.org/en/ca/fca/doc/200 ... ca158.html

http://decisions.fca-caf.gc.ca/en/2005/ ... ca386.html

http://www.canlii.org/en/ca/tcc/doc/201 ... cc142.html
"Yes Burnaby49, I do in fact believe all process servers are peace officers. I've good reason to believe so." Robert Menard in his May 28, 2015 video "Process Servers".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XeI-J2PhdGs
Hilfskreuzer Möwe
Northern Raider of Sovereign Commerce
Location: R R R SS Voltaire 47N 31 26W 22 R R R SS Voltaire 47N 31 2 [signal lost]

Post by Hilfskreuzer Möwe »

notorial dissent wrote:I notice it didn't say if he actually had a valid license to go with his no insurance? The two usually go pretty much hand in hand down here, along with no valid registration.
That also struck me as odd.

Cassista's "Claim of Right Declaration of Dominion" would appear to indicate he wants to opt out of those requirements as well:
Whereas it is my understanding that the God given unalienable right to travel, on the highways without license provided one is not engaging in commerce thereupon is lawful and still exists although it does appear to have been deceptively hidden and;

Whereas the various Motor Vehicle Acts in Canada do make it possible for peace officers in the role of policy enforcement officers to stop an automobile in order to provide services and demand something of value and;

Whereas it is my understanding that if they are not providing a service they have no reason to stop any one and if proof of registration, insurance and licence is not valuable they have no need to ask for it and;
My only suggestion is that Cassista decided to drop his insurance because of its cost, and at that point still had a 'pre-Freedom' licence and registration available.

Of course, by not denouncing and destroying those he trapped himself into a contract with the state apparatus and his declaration of Freeness was thwarted.

The fools... the mad fools...

SMS Möwe
That’s you and your crew, Mr. Hilfskreuzer. You’re just like a vampire, you must feel quite good about while the blood is dripping down from your lips onto the page or the typing, uhm keyboard there... [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YNMoUnUiDqg at 11:25]
Burnaby49

Post by Burnaby49 »

Shawn is grumpy. It appears his ventures into the Courts were not entirely satisfactory and he is cranky that nobody pays attention to his legal Maxims. Shawn "Cy" has opened up a blog where he plans to engage in a Shocking Expose of the frauds and evils and depravity and arrogance and general badness of the Canadian courts - "The Unjust Justice System"

http://www.nomoretyranny.net

He remains undaunted!
There are many stories of injustices committed by the people who are supposedly there to serve us and as a concerned citizen who cherishes his right to travel “freely” within his own country, I have taken the path to do just that – exercise my unalienable right to use the public roads. With a 30 year record of doing so without bringing harm to any other man or woman, there is no lawful reason to deny me that right.

Now that I have taken the path of refusing to pay fees of any sort or submit by force to sign into a private vehicle insurance contract with a government forged monopolized industry, the screws have seriously being put to me. Even though I have attempted to bring valid Common Law and case law arguments before the courts, the legal process has proven to be, well, simply put, a system of failure [and dare I say, possibly even corrupt] – therefore unjust.
The good news is that Shawn promises to give us a complete run down on his litigation! We demand everything - all documents, transcripts, whatever. I love documents! Unfortunately he has not yet populated that element of his blog, so we shall have to impatiently wait.

The sad news is that Shawn has deleted several of the websites mentioned in the initial post, and so his person Freemanism website and the tax fraud website appears to be gone for good - no archive survived. It's like burning the Library of Alexandria, great stupid, lost forever...
"Yes Burnaby49, I do in fact believe all process servers are peace officers. I've good reason to believe so." Robert Menard in his May 28, 2015 video "Process Servers".

grixit
Recycler of Paytriot Fantasies

Post by grixit »

Are you sure it was him. He might have left his passwords written down somewhere where his strawman could get to them.
Three cheers for the Lesser Evil!

10 . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 2
. . . . . . Dr Pepper
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . .. . . 4
Burnaby49

Post by Burnaby49 »

Apparently Shawn Cassista's stupidity lives on.His deleted pages are still accessible via the Wayback Machine.

For example:

https://web.archive.org/web/20130608201 ... urn4u.com/
https://web.archive.org/web/20140105215 ... sista.com/
https://web.archive.org/web/20110314073 ... ?page_id=2

A warning. I was sent this and apparently the sender had no trouble accessing the Wayback Machine pages and reading them but I couldn't do it. Something about robots.txt blocking me.

erwalkerca
Scalawag
Scalawag

Post by erwalkerca »

The links may work if you right-click on them and select "open link in new tab".

That certainly worked for me when one had the robots.txt message show up.
Burnaby49

Post by Burnaby49 »

erwalkerca wrote:The links may work if you right-click on them and select "open link in new tab".

That certainly worked for me when one had the robots.txt message show up.
Thanks however before I tried your method I tried again in the normal way and the links worked fine. Beats me what my problem was yesterday, I'm a technological idiot.