Sean Wesley Henry a.k.a. :Chief :Nanya-Shaabu: E[i]L:

Moderator: Burnaby49

Burnaby49
Quatloosian Ambassador to the CaliCanadians
Quatloosian Ambassador to the CaliCanadians

Re: Sean Wesley Henry a.k.a. :Chief :Nanya-Shaabu: E[i]L:

Post by Burnaby49 »

Well he's opened my eyes! It appears I've been committing mail fraud all these years by being too lazy to put a return address on my postings. Still some questions I have to work through on that one. When I pay my gas, Visa, and electricity bills using the enclosed pre-addressed envelopes they never have my return address on them. Am I comitting fraud when I mail these or is it the recipient? If I'm guilty who am I defrauding? Not the post office since I've paid the postage, nor the recipient because they just take delivery. All too deep for me without Nanya giving me more guidance.

I'm still vacillating between whether he is crazy or very astute. He is certainly lucid in the transcript and following proceedings carefully. Apart from the barrage of gibberish that serves as his general response he did get his postponement based on his claimed issue with documentation and he was quite precise in pinning down the date of subsequent hearings. More than Alexander Ream seems capable of doing.
"Yes Burnaby49, I do in fact believe all process servers are peace officers. I've good reason to believe so." Robert Menard in his May 28, 2015 video "Process Servers".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XeI-J2PhdGs
notorial dissent
A Balthazar of Quatloosian Truth

Post by notorial dissent »

The operative word here is "crazy", he really should be in a psychiatric institution, and not for observation.

No amount of "explaining" is going to phase someone who is living in the fantasy world he has constructed, and it would only agitate him further. If I am remembering correctly, he is physically abusive, and more than a bit dangerous when on his own. This is not a sane individual, and he is self destructive, and destructive to anyone who attaches themselves to him and his fantasy.

What is more than likely going to happen is that he will end his life in either a psychiatric facility of one of Her Majesty's prisons, if someone doesn't kill him first.
The fact that you sincerely and wholeheartedly believe that the “Law of Gravity” is unconstitutional and a violation of your sovereign rights, does not absolve you of adherence to it.
ArthurWankspittle
Slavering Minister of Auto-erotic Insinuation

Post by ArthurWankspittle »

Burnaby49 wrote:..... He is certainly lucid in the transcript and following proceedings carefully. Apart from the barrage of gibberish that serves as his general response he did get his postponement based on his claimed issue with documentation and he was quite precise in pinning down the date of subsequent hearings.....
I didn't think so. Apart from his pre-scripted gibberish and the need to get some documents from where he is barred from, my impression was he couldn't understand what was going on. While I was reading the transcript I was thinking this guy just wants a bit of land where he can breed rabbits. When it gets to the scheduling of the next court dates and for what purposes, he strikes me as totally lost.
"There is something about true madness that goes beyond mere eccentricity." Will Self
Jeffrey
Admiral of the Quatloosian Seas

Post by Jeffrey »

ArthurWankspittle wrote:I didn't think so. Apart from his pre-scripted gibberish and the need to get some documents from where he is barred from, my impression was he couldn't understand what was going on. While I was reading the transcript I was thinking this guy just wants a bit of land where he can breed rabbits. When it gets to the scheduling of the next court dates and for what purposes, he strikes me as totally lost.
Part of it is the rote memorization of quotes, codes, and other lawish things. For example anytime he hears something he doesn't like he just spouts off "i accept that for value. There are a couple of red flags that make me think he's missing a few screws, in one lecture he gave he had internet trouble with skype. Instead of assuming normal slow internet nonsense, he assumed it was Canada's spy agency interfering and started going off about international law violations. The situation with his father in the hospital, although hazy because of lack of details, seems to be a textbook case of a paranoid delusion. He also seems to completely misunderstand basic figures of speech, his claim that the United States and Canada have been exported to the middle of the atlantic ocean is based on his misunderstanding of a phrase by some senator I can't recall at the moment, who said (paraphrased) "it's as if we've been dropped in the middle of the atlantic ocean without a life raft". An obvious simile which he interprets literally. He also has some severe misunderstandings about how google and youtube views work, most of his videos are under 100 views yet he believes the whole world is watching them and thinks he's getting millions of views.

If you take into account the alleged schizophrenia diagnosis of his brother, the severe mental health problems of his deceased father he describes indirectly, and his own behavior then I really hope the judge treats this as a mental health situation rather than a criminal issue.
notorial dissent

I think our boy is short more than just a few screws when it comes right down to it.

If his brother is indeed schizophrenic, then the chances are right up there around 100% that he probably is too, as it tends to run in families, sometimes to varying degrees, and quite frankly he sounds like he is just barely functional. Right now it probably can be treated as a mental health issue, depending on how Canada's laws work, but if he is is not really lucky, it will end up on the criminal side all too soon.
The fact that you sincerely and wholeheartedly believe that the “Law of Gravity” is unconstitutional and a violation of your sovereign rights, does not absolve you of adherence to it.
wserra
Quatloosian Federal Witness
Quatloosian Federal Witness

Post by wserra »

Jeffrey wrote:anytime he hears something he doesn't like he just spouts off "i accept that for value".
Tourette's.
"A wise man proportions belief to the evidence."
- David Hume
Hilfskreuzer Möwe
Northern Raider of Sovereign Commerce
Location: R R R SS Voltaire 47N 31 26W 22 R R R SS Voltaire 47N 31 2 [signal lost]

Post by Hilfskreuzer Möwe »

Jeffrey wrote:I wonder whose responsibility it is to deal with these sorts of situations. If I recall, Nanya was locked up in a psychiatric institution for a while, I wonder if that is the right place to deal with these sorts of cases. I mean for example, if someone who understood Sovereign jargon and his worldview sat with him patiently and explained to him that he's incorrect and why, that he isn't "indigenous" and even if he was indigenous it wouldn't give him any of the rights he claims, etc. Would that be enough to set the guy right?

Is this guy destined to a lifetime of constant run ins with law enforcement, will it slowly escalate to the point of violence?
If Nanya is to be believed he has spent much time in psychiatric facilities. Could someone 'talk him out' of his perspective? I suspect not. He has been holding on to these strange beliefs for well over a decade, and has made those the focus of his entire life. Couple that with mental health issues, and the chance of any cognitive dissonance being resolved by 'going sensible' seems minimal.

There's another stinker of a problem here that has not come up directly - I suspect Nanya probably is not taking medication to treat his mental disorder, if one exists. Sadly, there is no way to make him take that medication unless he turns into a probable physical threat. This is a consequence of a Supreme Court of Canada decision, Starson v. Swayze, 2003 SCC 32, [2003] 1 SCR 722 (http://canlii.ca/t/1g6p9), where the majority said that psychiatric professionals cannot force a mentally ill person, in this case a bipolar individual who called himself "Professor Starson", to take medication that had effects that Starson found objectionable. Even though Starson had made death threats to others that was not enough of a basis to require treatment. Personally I consider Starson v. Swayze a disaster, but it's the law in Canada, and so we're stuck with it.

So there you go - Nanya is without question potentially violent, he is currently facing charges of assaulting peace officers. wserra has found further evidence of him being violent in the U.S. Is that enough to get Nanya the help I suspect he needs? Sadly, it seems not.

If so, he will likely then end up in some other violent scenario that leads to criminal sanction, but probably not treatment of the underlying issue. I think most who work in the mental health and law enforcement apparatus are well aware that we have a serious gap in our capacity to help 'intermediate' mentally-ill persons. Nanya will likely occupy this zone for much of his life.

SMS Möwe
That’s you and your crew, Mr. Hilfskreuzer. You’re just like a vampire, you must feel quite good about while the blood is dripping down from your lips onto the page or the typing, uhm keyboard there... [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YNMoUnUiDqg at 11:25]
Hilfskreuzer Möwe
Location: R R R SS Voltaire 47N 31 26W 22 R R R SS Voltaire 47N 31 2 [signal lost]

Burnaby49 wrote:I'm still vacillating between whether he is crazy or very astute. He is certainly lucid in the transcript and following proceedings carefully. Apart from the barrage of gibberish that serves as his general response he did get his postponement based on his claimed issue with documentation and he was quite precise in pinning down the date of subsequent hearings. More than Alexander Ream seems capable of doing.
ArthurWankspittle wrote:I didn't think so. Apart from his pre-scripted gibberish and the need to get some documents from where he is barred from, my impression was he couldn't understand what was going on. ...
Jeffrey wrote: Part of it is the rote memorization of quotes, codes, and other lawish things. For example anytime he hears something he doesn't like he just spouts off "i accept that for value. ...
I take an intermediate position on this. Nanya clearly knows a lot about court procedure, many legal principles, and exploits those carefully when he can. There's a kind of weird and fragmented expertise in play here. I do not know if this is learned or taught, but he exhibits genuine skills in how he manages his court action.

And I agree Burnaby49, he's no Alexander Ream!

However, Nanya clearly believes at least parts of his pseudolaw are true, and when those do not work he becomes lost - as Jeffrey notes, out come the ritualistic responses. I suspect his (probable) mental health issues also disrupt his ability to read court and legal matters 'honestly', as he continues to look for that hidden conspiratorial undercurrent.

It's very strange to review. I hope Nanya posts more transcripts like this. That was a very valuable 'window' into his life in an operational sense.
notorial dissent wrote:What is more than likely going to happen is that he will end his life in either a psychiatric facility of one of Her Majesty's prisons, if someone doesn't kill him first.
I couldn't spot it digging around but I recall that somewhere Nanya claimed that he had been assaulted while in pre-trial detention. I believe he had expounded on his claims that he owns North America because blacks ("Moors") and not Indians were the first colonists and have the priority claim.

Unfortunately, he made this exposition to a group of Indian gang members, they did not approve, and responded in, ahem, a 'direct' manner.

SMS Möwe
That’s you and your crew, Mr. Hilfskreuzer. You’re just like a vampire, you must feel quite good about while the blood is dripping down from your lips onto the page or the typing, uhm keyboard there... [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YNMoUnUiDqg at 11:25]
Jeffrey

Post by Jeffrey »

Let me see if I can fill in some gaps I see in the narrative now that I'm re-reading Mowes posts.
Henry fathered and abandoned a child, and then relocated to the U.S. in his teenage years to join a cult. Henry spent a decade in the U.S. before he was deported to Canada. This narrative appears very plausible.
Okay the time period is very important here and let me explain why. The cult Nanya joined was Dwight York's cult. Now the thing about York's cult is that it started as a Muslim cult, switched to Judaism, then Christianity, then Moorish Science, then Cowboy, then Indian with some overlap and back and forth. The time period at which Nanya joins would tell us what period of the cult Malachi was in at the time.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3lhOMZys1P4

Based on the time period and the views Nanya espouses, we can pretty much assume he joined York's cult during the Yamassee Native American Moorish period which the video states as 1997 and more or less continued up to 2002 when he was arrested.

http://www.splcenter.org/get-informed/i ... u?page=0,0

Again time periods are important because as stated in the video by York, he absorbed a lot of his doctrine from the Washitaw Moors group that's covered in that SPLC report and name drops the Empress a few times. Now mind you about a year before that video, the Empress is in Florida buying Bentley's with the money she was making on her Washitaw racket, York sees the success of her racket, adopts her ideology and starts selling books on it.

Now Washitaw is an independent ofshoot of Moorish Science Temple of America. York had previously dabbled in Moorish stuff during his Islamic period, however Washitaw introduced Sovereign Citizen concepts to the Moorish stuff which he then adopted. (Notice the Washitaw ties with Republic of Texas).
During his period in the U.S. Henry hooked up with his “wife”, “Diani Naja Ba’al Mashiyah Bey”, who “Take Your Meds” identifies as “Dianne Freeman”, and describes this relationship as being arranged or an aspect of Henry’s involvement with the Newaubian cult
This fits perfectly with the Nuwaubian involvement since among other freaky sex things, men were not allowed to live with their wives on the compound etc. It's highly likely the marriage was arranged and this is speculation on my part, but York likely invoked prima noctis given what we know of the cult.
certain subgroups within the “Moorish” community have specifically responded to Henry’s claims as though he is some form of competition (for example, here the “Canaanland Moors”: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B7yItxkWfJA). Money from “temples” is a point of contention. I have no idea how to interpret these materials beyond these simple observations.
Okay in order to understand these intramural arguments you need to understand what both sides are selling. Nanya and Kudjo are both technically Moors, however Kudjo gets his information from Moors of the Round Table, an offshoot started by Taj Tarik Bey in the ~1980s which he then took to Canada; I go into that in the JAH post. The Temple comments are a think where they are basically organized as independent cells called Temples and they charge "temple dues"; dues are mentioned in their holy book and thus mandatory.

These doctrinaire differences came out during Nanya's lecture to the group where he told Kudjo's followers to call themselves Natives instead of Moors, making fun of the groups name "Canaanland" and worst of all, criticizing their prophet.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Nd-3fhHss0

If you compare that older video of Nanya where he discusses the York RICO/child molestation trial vs:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h_USeUfNIsg

I think you get a clearer picture. The tactics of Doosua York, aka Damon Pryor are extremely similar. Appeals to the International Criminal Court, claiming ambassador status, etc. So I suspect Nanya was part of the Doosua crowd that after York's incarceration engaged in paper terrorism to try to get York out of jail and being a Canadian ended up deported.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MXnv0IB56Lw

One gap that's missing I think, is who is this (white?) sov citizen guru that was giving Nanya advice. I dont mention the white thing as a racist thing, but Nanya having black supremacist / black separatist background then using a white SC guru is very weird.
Hilfskreuzer Möwe

As a general note, it appears from Nanya’s latest Scribd uploads that he is staying at the “Hope Mission” in the Herb Jamieson Centre (http://www.scribd.com/doc/166858492/Mes ... onton-docx). This facility offers housing and food “to men with little or no resources.” That leads me to suspect Nanya has run out of Edmonton couches to surf.
Jeffrey wrote:... One gap that's missing I think, is who is this (white?) sov citizen guru that was giving Nanya advice. I dont mention the white thing as a racist thing, but Nanya having black supremacist / black separatist background then using a white SC guru is very weird.
Now I can help with that! The white guru is “minister” Edward-Robin-Jay: Belanger of the Church of the Ecumenical Redemption International. This person and his group is reviewed in this message thread (viewtopic.php?f=47&t=9261). Belanger is an odd bird. He is something of a relic in the Canadian OPCA community and dates back from before the emergence of the Freeman movement. He has always run his own somewhat independent group, most located physically near Edmonton. The typical member is extremely marginal: persons on welfare, assured income, with mental or physical disabilities. Belanger himself has announced he exists on government support.

Belanger and CERI are also discussed to a degree in the Meads v. Meads, 2012 ABQB 571 decision at paras. 134-139, 183-188.

Belanger and Nanya hooked up in 2011-2012 – the video recordings here are not the only evidence of collaboration. Belanger accompanied Nanya in at least some of Nanya’s Canadian in-court adventures. Their collaboration suddenly dries up this year, and now neither seems to speak of the other. But as that recording shows, for awhile both were very excited about one another and their ideas. I think that recording and the others identified in the Quatloos thread above are from their first face-to-face meeting.

There’s an interesting bit of ‘convergent evolution’ at play. By this point Nanya has grabbed onto the R. v. JAH concepts, with its focus on the validity of the English Crown. Belanger’s organization has long argued that the trick to ‘getting free’ is to strictly adhere to Biblical principles because all law is grounded in that text. Belanger too believes the Queen has not upheld her oath, or that she can be compelled to act by ‘real Christians’ to uphold her oath.

I think the clearest explanation of the CERI concepts is in this set of three videos:
Belanger is also quite strongly anti-semetic. It's not something he flogs immediately but Jewish conspiracies emerge as you go through his materials. Is this also a basis for a common perspective?

So on to some questions.

Do you think Nanya is trying to take on a leadership role in the remnants of York cult? I notice some of what appear to be Nanya's followers refer to him as "Maku", which I take is a leadership title in that community?

Are there remnants to be scavenged up?

Is he just a lone nut in a tiny pond, a subject of bemusement even for his peers?

Are we seeing genuine religious/philosophical belief or is this simply opportunism? It sounds like York had quite the hold on his followers. Is Nanya still under that spell?

On a more practical sense, is Nanya coming from a subculture where infringement is a reason to ‘fight back’? As I suspect you have noticed, Nanya has engaged in no small amount of ‘paper terrorism’, along the classic Sovereign Citizen lines. But does this go further – has he spent many years in not merely a counter-state but militant community?

I had a much longer list of questions but now those have escaped me. It’s been one of those days…

SMS Möwe
Jeffrey

Post by Jeffrey »

As a general note, it appears from Nanya’s latest Scribd uploads that he is staying at the “Hope Mission” in the Herb Jamieson Centre (http://www.scribd.com/doc/166858492/Mes ... onton-docx). This facility offers housing and food “to men with little or no resources.”
I think that surprises nobody.
Is this also a basis for a common perspective?
There's a lot of anti-semitism among black supremacist groups but I don't think there's a lot of it with Nanya and the groups he cross polinated with.
Do you think Nanya is trying to take on a leadership role in the remnants of York cult?
Odds of that are zero. Yorks organization was never that large to begin with even though it tried to create the impression it was global and gigantic. In Canada if there are more than 100 adherents I'd be surprised, I do know there's a York affiliated bookstore in Toronto I think, could probably get a sense of how popular it is by seeing how much traffic they get.
Are there remnants to be scavenged up?
Nanya doesn't seem to be targetting York remnants based on what he is selling. The question of succession is really murky because like I said, they didn't think York would be arrested and he never set up a designated #2 man. The notable post York figures are Doosua, who appears to have made a good amount of money on the "donate money to us to help free Dr. York" scheme. Brother Polight who went into "conscious community", a very vague term for natural herbal remedies, sovereign citizen tactics, adverse possession of homes, making money off books and lectures. There's also the semi-official post York church Wu-Nuwaupu.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E7uzlGwHaKk

They appear to consist of former members, some family members of York (which is a complex issue given rumors that York fathered hundreds of children), etc. They seem to hold question and answer sessions in the style of York, (their version of church service), and claim to be the ones selling Yorks current doctrine which he disseminates out of Prison through letters. I haven't been able to verify if he is indeed writing the new holy books but the writing style etc is certainly consistent. BTW, there's some followers who deny York is in jail but that's a tangent.
I notice some of what appear to be Nanya's followers refer to him as "Maku", which I take is a leadership title in that community?
Yep, the Yamassee Native American term and Maku term are both taken from York but it seems to be limited to his particular tribe, which as we've noted, consists only of himself, his wife and maybe his mother.
Is he just a lone nut in a tiny pond, a subject of bemusement even for his peers?
That's my professional opinion. I think he was low on the rung back in Georgia while York was not in jail. When York went to jail, Nanya was still a pawn following the people who were orchestrating the paper terrorism and false diplomatic paper schemes and paid the price for it. He used his mothers internet access and mortgage situation to try and get some notoriety etc in Canada but even then he was probably subordinate to Belanger and probably paid him for his services.
Are we seeing genuine religious/philosophical belief or is this simply opportunism
Genuinely believes the shit he says and opportunism simply doesn't apply here. He was always a follower, he clearly never benefited from these schemes, the lien on his mother was, I think, not a way for himself to become personally enriched but a way to prevent a foreclosure.
It sounds like York had quite the hold on his followers. Is Nanya still under that spell?
York doesn't appear to be loyal to York anymore but he believes the stuff York said during the Yamasee Moor period (York later moved past that and is now solidly into UFOlogy). He's still under the effects of the typical zero lack of critical thinking etc that cult members fall into. The fact that he's still loyal to his wife even though it was an arranged marriage and long distance right now kinda shows how messed he still is.
is Nanya coming from a subculture where infringement is a reason to ‘fight back’?
I think within the post York community he was apparently involved with it depends. York framed his in carceration in racial terms, that the reason he was jailed was not for child abuse or racketeering reasons, but rather because he was an African American that was trying to help his fellow man. It was a huge injustice in their eyes in racial terms and on a personal level given that many of them had housing from York on his compound. You can look up the sort of stuff they did during and after the trial, witness tampering, infiltrating jails, threatening to lock up officials, paper terrorism, etc.

The way Nanya seems to be framing this is as part of hundreds of years of white Canadian government oppressing and raping native people like himself. If the question is, is Nanya simply using SC tactics as a way of fighting back rather than simply using SC because he is a true believer, then I think it's more true believer than retribution style activity.
Nanya has engaged in no small amount of ‘paper terrorism’, along the classic Sovereign Citizen lines. But does this go further – has he spent many years in not merely a counter-state but militant community?
I think in general no. He honestly believes his father was killed as part of some larger conspiracy, a delusion clearly related to the mental health issues discussed here. Any militancy he engaged in was in a subordinate / follower position.

Let's use another example to sort of make a better point. I was watching the recent Dean Clifford videos. Now you can clearly tell Clifford speaks with lucidity, in a leadership role, he's doing the influencing not being influenced. As you can see in the "freeloader" video he makes, he has a clearly stated tax avoidance ideology. He adopts a SC position due to a sort of "Ayn Randian" self sufficiency, taxes are theft belief structure.

Nanya is different if you get the point I'm trying to make. He isn't mentally lucid. His SC arguments are a lot more incoherent and fanciful and not backed by a Clifford style financial self interest. It's more of a religious belief for Nanya as opposed to a political position for Clifford.

Should he be viewed as potentially dangerous? Probably not but I'm not qualified to argue either way, seeing the video of his arrest at his home, I think the cops there did it perfectly, the idea of having his picture on the warrant was a good idea and they weren't overly aggressive. I would understand the need for caution however given how easily he becomes angry, particularly on some of the phone calls he uploaded when the person on the phone wasn't open to his sovereign nation thing.

I honestly feel bad for the guy. Your update that he is in fact homeless right now confirms what I suspected. I don't think this is a person who is able to take care of himself. If it were possible to find some rehabilitation program to help him integrate into society, help him find work and housing so he can be self sufficient, I think he would be able to do that with some help and medication. Whether or not programs like that exist in Canada, I don't know.

If I could influence the judge, I would really opt for that venue rather than jail time. There's one particular moment in the video with him and Belanger where he pulls out the fake documents he has and points to a ribbon he had attached to it, and he acts all proud of how pretty the ribbon is. It sort of reminded me of an elementary school kid who was proud of some arts and crafts project he had just completed.
Chados
Pirates Mate
Pirates Mate

Post by Chados »

Hmm. A coupleof relevant thoughts.

It's hard sometimes to differentiate with sovereigns between the con artists and the truly mentally impaired. Most of them are just con artists. I'm dealing with one right now who has one of our judges so snowed it makes me crazy. On the other side of the picture are the schizophrenics that are following along with some self-styled "guru" who's one of the aforementioned con artists.

A lot of the issues with mental illness in the correctional sstem can be traced back to the de-institutionalization movement in the 1970s. We dismantled the mental health system in North America in the well-intentioned, but misguided movement to move to community-based treatment of the mentally ill. In practice, all we have done is move the seriously ill from mental hospitals into the correctional system. There are some folks who just can't make it outside the structured environment of an institution. We either treat them in that setting, or we jail them after someone gets victimized and then wring our collective hands about how we're punishing people who can't help themselves.

And we call THEM crazy.
notorial dissent

Unfortunately all too true.
Cathulhu
Order of the Quatloos, Brevet First Class

Post by Cathulhu »

Couldn't agree with you more, Chados. Back before 1970, you never saw homeless people on the street. Or at least that's what it appeared to me out here in the West. Having never in my life set foot in New York (yes, I know, you'd think since I made to to the arctic circle, I'd at least have knocked this one off the bucket list!) I can't guess how it was there pre-1970s.
Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to. T. Pratchett
Always be a moving target. L.M. Bujold
AndyK
Illuminatian Revenue Supremo Emeritus

Post by AndyK »

Shortly after the various institutional "mental health" facilities mainstreamed their residents, it was very common to see a person walking down the street, gesticulating wildly, and talking loudly to no one in particular.

The same scene is common today, but one can't be certain if the person has some form of mental illness or is publicly talking on a cell phone. Then again, is there really that much of a difference?
Taxes are the price we pay for a free society and to cover the responsibilities of the evaders
Pottapaug1938
Supreme Prophet (Junior Division)

Post by Pottapaug1938 »

When deinstitutionalization took hold, on the premise that mental illness should not always result in an indefinite-to-life sentence in a mental hospital, we were told that community mental health centers would provide the services needed. However, the cost of those services always seemed to be the first element dropped from tight budgets; and many family members couldn't/wouldn't provide the necessary support to the former patients. And, let's not forget the periodic stories about "patient dumping"....
"We've been attacked by the intelligent, educated segment of the culture." -- Pastor Ray Mummert, Dover, PA, during an attempt to introduce creationism -- er, "intelligent design", into the Dover Public Schools
grixit
Recycler of Paytriot Fantasies

Post by grixit »

Yeah i remember that one. Here in California, we had itr very clear.

Step 1: Get rid of large scale institutionalization, often stigmatized as "warehousing", of the mentally impaired. There was a lot of concern that the system wasn't helping anyone and that there were a lot of borderline cases that only needed a little counsleing and supervision to be able to take care of themsleves but they were being lumped together with the serious cases. There was also a little paranoia (of the non clinical kind) that people who merely had out of mainstream beliefs and lifestyles were being grabbed for observation and then lost. That last one aside, liberals like me were very much in favor of this.

Step 2: Set up networks of local clinics and halfway houses. Let the afflicted keep or develop ties to their communities, let social workers and volunteers ease trhem back into normal lives.

Step 3: a happier, healthier, more self sufficient population.

Well it turned out that we liberals had been stupid. Dumb even. In retrospect, Step 2 should have been first and step 1 shouldn't have even started until the local networks were in place. But step 2 turned out to be too vulnerable to "cost cutting" measures, legislative priorities, and bureacratic inertia. The results have been tragic.
Three cheers for the Lesser Evil!

10 . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 2
. . . . . . Dr Pepper
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . .. . . 4
JamesVincent
A Councilor of the Kabosh

Post by JamesVincent »

Glad to hear someone admit that. The way that people with mental health issues is treated in this country, non-treated as it were, is tragic.
Disciple of the cross and champion in suffering
Immerse yourself into the kingdom of redemption
Pardon your mind through the chains of the divine
Make way, the shepherd of fire

Avenged Sevenfold "Shepherd of Fire"
Arthur Rubin
Tupa-O-Quatloosia

Post by Arthur Rubin »

grixit wrote:There was also a little paranoia (of the non clinical kind) that people who merely had out of mainstream beliefs and lifestyles were being grabbed for observation and then lost.
It's not impossible. My wife's therapist was having an affair with her (then) husband, and had her committed for a while.
Arthur Rubin, unemployed tax preparer and aerospace engineer
ImageJoin the Blue Ribbon Online Free Speech Campaign!

Butterflies are free. T-shirts are $19.95 $24.95 $29.95
Pottapaug1938
Supreme Prophet (Junior Division)

Post by Pottapaug1938 »

Arthur Rubin wrote:
grixit wrote:There was also a little paranoia (of the non clinical kind) that people who merely had out of mainstream beliefs and lifestyles were being grabbed for observation and then lost.
It's not impossible. My wife's therapist was having an affair with her (then) husband, and had her committed for a while.
There was also a fairly disgusting city councilor in Boston who shut his wife up in a psychiatric nursing home, and then was quite open about his relationship with his mistress. Fortunately, the voters eventually wised up and sent him packing.
"We've been attacked by the intelligent, educated segment of the culture." -- Pastor Ray Mummert, Dover, PA, during an attempt to introduce creationism -- er, "intelligent design", into the Dover Public Schools