Klatle-Bhi & Tay-Sun-Quay-Ton - Sovereign Indian Law Lawyers

Moderator: Burnaby49

Hilfskreuzer Möwe
Northern Raider of Sovereign Commerce
Location: R R R SS Voltaire 47N 31 26W 22 R R R SS Voltaire 47N 31 2 [signal lost]

Klatle-Bhi & Tay-Sun-Quay-Ton - Sovereign Indian Law Lawyers

Post by Hilfskreuzer Möwe »

I spotted another cluster of documents that led to an interesting little investigation. On Oct. 22, 2013 the British Columbia Law Society obtained a consent order with two persons, Charles Daniel Sam, a.k.a. “Klatle-Bhi”, and Lucius Tyler Lewis, a.k.a. “Tah-Sun-Quay-Ton”. These two individuals were permanently prohibited from acting as a lawyer. The order can be viewed here:
But there’s a little oddity with Klatle-Bhi and Tah-Sun-Quay-Ton’s signatures – each is followed this some additional text: “with rep :UCC 1-207” or simply “UCC 1-207”.

And we all know what that means!

There are two judgments associated with the litigation that led to the Law Society’s action:
In brief, this is a dispute between the Chief and Counsel of the Squamish Indian Band and a bunch of people from the Baker family. The Bakers operated the Capilano Mobile Park, which had for some time had a lease to use Squamish land and operate the trailer park. The deal was the Band received 35% of the revenue from the park: 2011 BCSC 470, at para. 11.

In 2008 the Band decided to end this arrangement. The Bakers did not cooperate. The Bakers continued to make ‘rent’ payments until May 2010, when the entirely stopped: para. 12. Unsurprisingly, the Band took legal action to punt the Bakers and the trailer park off the Band property: paras. 14-19. A receiver was ordered to take control of the trailer park: paras. 20-21. The Band sought summary judgment to its unanswered claim.

Enter Klatle-Bhi and Tah-Sun-Quay-Ton. They spoke in court for the Bakers. It appears Klatle-Bhi did most of the talking. They demanded to know if the judge had taken an Oath of Office, which he had (para. 25). However, the judgment only offers a sketch of Klatle-Bhi's argument.
[26] I have listened very carefully to what Klatle-Bhi has told me. I am not able to find within what has been said anything that would allow me to deny the judgment that is being asked for today.

[27] The position that was taken on behalf of the defendants related to such things as a denial of the right of the Squamish Nation to claim ownership of the lands in the first instance, as I understood it. However, I am not able to find on the facts before me that there is any issue whatsoever in that respect. The facts are well laid out in the affidavits. I do note, of course, that there is the permit agreement to which the mobile home park defendants were in possession for some length of time, which is in fact with the Squamish Nation. So there is no real issue about ownership of the lands.

[28] At the hearing, Klatle-Bhi made demand for certain permits and licenses and other legal documents that have not been produced. However, I am not able to find that the lack of anything that is being asked for is of any legal relevance in this matter.

[29] There was also reference to a conflict of interest on behalf of the law firm acting for the Squamish Nation. There is no application in front of me, nor any evidence whatsoever, that would relate to a conflict of interest. So again, that is not a basis upon which I could deny the judgment that is being sought.
In other words, we have a usual OPCA approach of a foisted unilateral agreement to define the manner in which the Band proved ownership of the trailer park, and an attempt to disqualify the Band’s lawyers, probably via to another spurious contract argument.

Justice Verhoeven unsurprisingly concluded the Bakers were trespassing on Band land and gave them the ol’ heave ho. The Bakers also owed $497,403.29.

Then we turn to another interesting subject – costs. The Band sought an elevated cost award on the basis that the Bakers (and their representative) had engaged in “reprehensible” conduct. What is identified are classic Freeman/Sovereign tactics:
[59] … second, that the defendants refused to identify themselves to the court when specifically requested to do so by Justice Sigurdson; third, at the January 14, 2010, hearing, they permitted a person to speak on their behalf who was highly disrespectful of the court and its processes and who purported to fire Mr. Justice Sigurdson and the court clerk, as well as opposing counsel, before the proceedings concluded.

[61] The applicants go on to say in support of the application for special costs, however, that the defendants made false representations in the British Columbia Personal Property Registry and the Washington DC Uniform Commercial Code Registry against the plaintiff, legal counsel for the plaintiff, and their family members, the court-appointed receivers, senior government officials, and most notably a judge of this court.

[62] Further, the applicant/plaintiff indicates that the defendants delivered a significant number of documents to the plaintiff’s legal counsel and their family members, the court-appointed receivers, the West Vancouver Police Department, and this court. While largely nonsensical, the documents demand payments of hundreds of millions of dollars, allege trespass, and purport to bind the recipients to "self-executing contracts/security agreements" regarding the unauthorized use of their names.
Again, classic Freeman-on-the-Land / Sovereign Citizen tactics, including attempts at paper terrorism and foisted unilateral copyright name claims.

Justice Verhoeven concluded the Bakers (and representatives) had forced unnecessary court proceedings (para. 63), added “tremendously” to the cost of the proceedings (para. 64), and advanced a defence that is nothing but an abuse of process (paras. 67-68). The paper terrorism activities are identified as particularly problematic (para. 66):
What is of most significant concern, on the basis of the evidence before me, is the filing of materials in the Personal Property Registry of British Columbia and in the Washington DC Uniform Commercial Code Registry against not only the plaintiff, but also including legal counsel for the plaintiff, family members, including wives, mothers, court-appointed receivers, and most troublesome of all, a judge of this court.
At this late point and facing a half-million dollar judgment the Bakers clue in. Their appeal to the British Columbia Court of Appeal is largely a plea of the stupid for having trusted the law firm of Khatle-Bhi and Tah-Sun-Quay-Ton. The narrative is pretty much the same, though it appears Klatle-Bhi titled himself “a notary public in Washington State, United States of America” in his communications with the Band: 2012 BCCA 126 at para. 7.

Klatle-Bhi filed the appeal to the British Columbia Court of Appeal but eventually the Bakers figured out they were in trouble and got real lawyers: para. 11. Those lawyers tried to make a genuine legal argument and enter new evidence. Unsurprisingly, the band took an opposite opinion, and Justice Chaisson agreed as the proposed new evidence was not relevant: para. 15.

The Bakers pled for mercy and a new trial because they were fools:
[36] The appellants state candidly that they were in error in allowing Klatle-Bhi to represent them and apologize to this Court for having done so. In Shebib v. Victoria (City), 2012 BCCA 42 (CanLII), 2012 BCCA 42 at para. 11, I commented on the difficulties that often are created when parties do not participate appropriately in court proceedings. This case represents another example, an example that sees the appellants inviting this Court to overrule the decision of a Supreme Court judge and to put the respondents through another trial because they chose not to participate properly in the Supreme Court proceedings.

[37] The appellants go so far as to raise as a ground of appeal the judge’s exercise of his discretion to allow Klatle-Bhi to represent them. Klatle-Bhi first became involved with the appellants concerning this matter in the summer of 2010. His hand appears to have been involved in the appellants’ incomprehensible response to the November 18, 2010 letter from the respondents’ lawyer. Even after the judgment against them, the appellants continued to allow Klatle-Bhi to represent them in this appeal. The appellants’ decision to involve and to continue to involve Klatle-Bhi caused their interests to be compromised, hampered the ability of the court to address the real issues between the parties and increased significantly the costs of these proceedings for the respondents.

[38] I would not accede to the ground of appeal advanced on the basis of the representation of the appellants by Klatle-Bhi.

[39] Klatle-Bhi was asked by the judge whether he was being paid to speak on behalf of the appellants. Klatle-Bhi replied: “[n]o, I am actually under Indian law so when my elders tell me to represent them I am here under Indian law today” (Supplemental Appeal Book at pp. 12-13). The respondents noted to the judge that the financial records of the appellants appear to show a total of $95,000 in professional fees paid to Klatle-Bhi and an associate (Supplemental Appeal Book at p. 13). In my view, this is a matter that merits the attention of the Law Society of British Columbia.
The Bakers had repudiated their contract, they were nothing but trespassers: para. 74. The Band was entitled to eject them.

The Bakers also appealed the elevated court cost award. Again, no dice, the court confirmed the trial result: para. 89. A cross-appeal by the Band for greater damages was also dismissed: para. 101.

I dug around for some other information, and found a few things. The Squamish Nation kept its members appraised of the litigation in a series of newsletters:
These provide a lot more detail on the history of the Bakers and the Band – the trailer park had been there since 1966 - but no insight into Klatle-Bhi and Tah-Sun-Quay-Ton. I did notice there are some persons with the last name Baker on the counsel, which suggests an internal Band dispute.

I located some media reporting (http://www2.canada.com/story.html?id=6347190) (http://fnbc.info/rv-parks-legal-fees-questioned), but it offers little new other than some further information on Klatle-Bhi’s argument, which was apparently that the Bakers had an oral contract from the chief to operate the park, and that “Aboriginal law supersedes all their paper law.”

The latter news story has an anonymous comment that is less than complementary on Klatle-Bhi’s motivation in this matter.

I did however dig up one other interesting artifact. The dynamic duo posted a “Legal Notice” in 2011 in a number of locations, including a number of issues of “Outlook West Vancouver” magazine in 2011, and a classified ad website (http://www.usedvancouver.com/classified ... t_14028731)
LEGAL PUBLIC NOTICE Pursuant to the Legal Public Notice Jurat-Affidavit of Publishing and Notarial Certificate of Non-Response dated July 29, 2010. BE IT WITNESSED AND VERIFIED: For the tah-sun-quay-ton and for the klatle-bhi, as well as: tla kwa-gilla-ogua,: tla-kwa-gilla,: gig-a-mi,: ga-use-dis,: men-ta-le-adus,: ts'elxweltxw,: hi-mi-ka-las and: tla-tla-tlo-num of the skomesh and: ley-la-wa-gilla people, and the sovran-alliances, that we are with the acceptance for value of the claim of right of the BRITISH COLUMBIA PERSONNAL PROPERTY SECURITY AGREEMENT BASE REGISTRATION LIEN NUMBER: 659362F and 898104F, WASHINGTON DC UNIFORM COMMERCIAL CODE DOCUMENT LIEN NUMBER: 2010061093, 2010108008 and 2010108018. Further be it verified and notice that, we are further with the claim of right of the acceptance for value and return for value of Canada's Office Consolidation [may be cited as the Indian Act] and its attached "WARNING NOTE-Users of this Office Consolidation are reminded that it is prepared for convenience of reference only and that, as such, has no official sanctions." Therefore, we are with the acceptance for value and return for value that the Squamish Indian Band and it's lawyer(s) are agents for Canada and do not represent the best interest of the skomesh-people. We, Her Majesty's Royal Allies will deploy the Provost Marshal and Her Majesty's Royal Rifle for any continued trespass against us on our sacred skomesh-lands. Submit any and all alleged claims in the form of Notarized Jurat Affidavit c/o (non-domestic) IR #9 PO Box 97 Keremeos, Keremeos (V0X 1NO). We reserve all rights with prejudice. As long as the Sun shines, the green grass grows, the wind blows, the rivers flow and our people still occupy our sacred lands, then we are still Royal Allies of Her Majesty in Council of Great Britain et al, by the authority of the tah-sun-quay-ton and the klatle-bhi.
This is very interesting as the language of this notice generally resembles material from the Tacit Supreme In Law Courts cluster of groups. Yet another instance of their penetration into aboriginal society. Quite curious.

As for the duo who acted under “Indian Law”, Klatle-Bhi appears to be a quite prominent west-coast aboriginal artist, who appears to work often in carved materials, for example such as masks and totem poles:
As for Tah-Sun-Quay-Ton I didn’t find a thing.

While post-Meads v. Meads it's nothing unusual to see spurious court filings and pseudolegal demands lead to elevated costs awards, this litigation is nevertheless interesting for the strong language used by both the trial and appeal court in response to misconduct of this kind. It is also noteworthy that the British Columbia Court of Appeal was unwilling to bend after the Bakers admitted their foolish choice of litigation strategy and representation. That too is an important message.

SMS Möwe
That’s you and your crew, Mr. Hilfskreuzer. You’re just like a vampire, you must feel quite good about while the blood is dripping down from your lips onto the page or the typing, uhm keyboard there... [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YNMoUnUiDqg at 11:25]
Kestrel
Endangerer of Stupid Species

Re: Klatle-Bhi & Tay-Sun-Quay-Ton - Sovereign Indian Law Law

Post by Kestrel »

Hilfskreuzer Möwe wrote:But there’s a little oddity with Klatle-Bhi and Tah-Sun-Quay-Ton’s signatures – each is followed this some additional text: “with rep :UCC 1-207” or simply “UCC 1-207”.

And we all know what that means!
Right. Unless the Cornell University Law Library has its numbers mixed up, UCC section 1-207 means absolutely nothing because it no longer exists.

The 2003 revision to the UCC brought the old section 1-207 content into section 1-308. But the intrepid and enlightened sov'run information network seems to have missed the change notice.
"Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes your time and annoys the pig." - Robert Heinlein
Hilfskreuzer Möwe
Location: R R R SS Voltaire 47N 31 26W 22 R R R SS Voltaire 47N 31 2 [signal lost]

Kestrel wrote:... Right. Unless the Cornell University Law Library has its numbers mixed up, UCC section 1-207 means absolutely nothing because it no longer exists.

The 2003 revision to the UCC brought the old section 1-207 content into section 1-308. But the intrepid and enlightened sov'run information network seems to have missed the change notice.
Perhaps there is a simpler explanation - the 2003 version of the UCC has been corrupted by the Cabal, and so the duo are merely invoking the One True UCC.

Whichever version that is.

Presumably the oldest.

SMS Möwe
That’s you and your crew, Mr. Hilfskreuzer. You’re just like a vampire, you must feel quite good about while the blood is dripping down from your lips onto the page or the typing, uhm keyboard there... [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YNMoUnUiDqg at 11:25]
notorial dissent
A Balthazar of Quatloosian Truth

Post by notorial dissent »

Or at least more closely agrees with their version of what the UCC is.
The fact that you sincerely and wholeheartedly believe that the “Law of Gravity” is unconstitutional and a violation of your sovereign rights, does not absolve you of adherence to it.
grixit
Recycler of Paytriot Fantasies

Post by grixit »

I imagine that the fines and costs must have wiped out all the profits that the Bakers made from collecting rent. And also, when the dust finally settles they may be facing additional suits from their tenants for denying them the opportunity to make a smooth transition, to either find another venue or to make a new contract with the tribal authorities.
Three cheers for the Lesser Evil!

10 . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 2
. . . . . . Dr Pepper
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . .. . . 4
Burnaby49
Quatloosian Ambassador to the CaliCanadians

Post by Burnaby49 »

grixit wrote:I imagine that the fines and costs must have wiped out all the profits that the Bakers made from collecting rent. And also, when the dust finally settles they may be facing additional suits from their tenants for denying them the opportunity to make a smooth transition, to either find another venue or to make a new contract with the tribal authorities.
My wife has a friend who owns a trailer in that park and she is very much on edge, as are all the tenants, as to what will happen. This is not a low level hayseed park with booze parties every Friday night and deadbeat tenants. The tenants are, by and large, long term stays, retirees whose trailers are essentially homes on leased land. The park is in an excellent location right on the Capilano river a few minutes walk from Park Royal Mall and just by the First Narrows Bridge, the North Vancouver access to downtown Vancouver. My wife's friend works at Park Royal, a ten minute walk from her front door.

First off the Baker involved is Frank Baker, a locally very well known North Vancouver businessman who owns the Attic restaurant and is, or was, involved in a number of other North Vancouver businesses. I don't think he is aboriginal or is related to the Bakers in the Squamish band.

The arrangements between the tenants, and the RV park (really actually Frank) and the Squamish band were apparently very poorly written up but basically tenants rented from Frank and Frank rented from the band. The band decided there was no reason for a middle-man and refused to renew Frank's lease. Seems like Frank takes rejection badly but instead of the common sense approach of re-negotiating or even a normal lawsuit on the interpretation of lease terms he decided to go scorched earth with the joker he hired to handle the case. Frank's background is probably a big part of why the court rejected his plea for relief on costs. He's not some ignorant hick running a small RV park who got suckered by a fast-talker. Frank Baker has had a long successful career in numerous ventures so he has demonstrated he is an astute businessman. The court probably had a credibility issue regarding Frank's claim that he was bamboozled by Klatle-Bhi and thought the guy had a legitimate approach at trial.

Wife's friend is very concerned. She doesn't have much and the band apparently plans to significantly increase lease rates. They may eventually decide they have better uses for the land than a trailer park and kick everyone out. All the tenants leased from Frank and now that lease is gone and I believe the band is only offering short term leases.
"Yes Burnaby49, I do in fact believe all process servers are peace officers. I've good reason to believe so." Robert Menard in his May 28, 2015 video "Process Servers".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XeI-J2PhdGs
Burnaby49

Post by Burnaby49 »

For those that are interested below is a 126 page notice of application for an injunction by the band that goes into details as to the basis of the dispute and describes the history of the property. Apparently when Frank's lease ran out in 2008 he was offered a five year lease rather than a ten year renewal of the current lease. He wasn't happy with that. Hard to sympathize. It was a straight business deal and when the lease expired the Squamish band was entitled to demand whatever they wanted for a new lease.

http://www.squamish.net/files/PDF/event ... 1_1223.pdf
"Yes Burnaby49, I do in fact believe all process servers are peace officers. I've good reason to believe so." Robert Menard in his May 28, 2015 video "Process Servers".

erwalkerca
Scalawag
Scalawag

Post by erwalkerca »

Burnaby49 wrote:First off the Baker involved is Frank Baker, a locally very well known North Vancouver businessman who owns the Attic restaurant and is, or was, involved in a number of other North Vancouver businesses. I don't think he is aboriginal or is related to the Bakers in the Squamish band.
Can't be the Frank Baker who owned the restaurant. That Frank Baker died in 1989. I suppose it could be a relative, son perhaps.

The Attic restaurant closed back in 1981. I remember going to it a couple of times with my folks when I was a kid. Was very impressed by the Aston Martin DB5 he had in the entrance that was built for the movie Goldfinger.
Burnaby49

Post by Burnaby49 »

Thanks erwalkerca, obviously my mistake. Wife's friend Keeps talking about the owners being the Attic Bakers and perhaps they are, but not the original Frank. I dug a little deeper as a result of your post and found a link between the Bakers and the band (below). For readers not familiar with our local geography North Vancouver and Vancouver are entirely separate municipalities physically separated by the Burrard Inlet. Only three ways across it, two bridges and a foot-passenger ferry, and the RV park is right at the north foot of one of the bridges. You can walk to downtown Vancouver from the park. A bit of a hike across the bridge and through Stanley Park but I've done it. As for the original Frank Baker and the attic see link below. One part I remember from way back;
There was a statue of David in the women's washroom. When the leaf was lifted on this statue, alarms would sound and/or lights would flash alerting other patrons and causing embarrassment to the person who lifted it.[6]
Reminds me of a very popular steak-house I went to in Pensacola where the washrooms were side by side with big MENS and LADIES on the doors but each with a tiny arrow pointing to the other door.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Attic_(restaurant)

Anyhow I found the post below which points out that the RV ground operators had, as Mowe suggested, at least member in the band. Its the last sentence in the quote that has the RV park residents apprehensive. They are all on short term leases and will probably be evicted when the band decides to develop.
Six member of the Baker family — including one woman who is also a band councillor — went to court recently to challenge the ownership of the land in West Vancouver after the band council told the family it could no longer operate the trailer park without either an agreement or paying rent, the North Shore News reported.

Members of the Baker family said the land was theirs because it was granted to them in a verbal contract by former chief Joe Capilano prior to the amalgamation of several tribes under the Squamish Nation.

. . . . .

Members of the Baker family operated the Capilano RV Park for 50 years. But when the last 10-year agreement ran out in 2008, and the band asked the owners to sign a final five-year lease, the family refused. The band has indicated it intends to eventually develop the land.
http://www.woodallscm.com/tag/capilano-rv-park/

grixit
Recycler of Paytriot Fantasies

Post by grixit »

Ah. Then never mind the maybe, now it's a must. The tenants must sue him as soon as possible, and the amount asked should assume the loss of their current trailers.

In addition to that, someone should start a gentle public relations campaign aimed at getting the tribe to give them more time in order not to look heartless.
Three cheers for the Lesser Evil!

10 . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 2
. . . . . . Dr Pepper
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . .. . . 4
Hilfskreuzer Möwe

Burnaby49 wrote:For those that are interested below is a 126 page notice of application for an injunction by the band that goes into details as to the basis of the dispute and describes the history of the property. ...
Thanks for posting this Burnaby49 - for other readers this pdf includes a number of Klatle-Bhi's documents and 'annotated' variations on the Band's materials, including a:
  • annotated letter from the Band's lawyer and attached draft lease

"UCC3-419 UCC 8 True Bill"

“Private copyright of TRADE-MARK/-TRADENAME Claim Good Faith PUBLIC NOTICE”

annotated "Notice of Civil Claim"
I continue to see distinct parallels between Ktatle-Bhi's material and those from persons affiliated with the Tacit Supreme In Law Courts / Sovran Nations, but there are also all kinds of oddities. The annotations include a red stamp on each page that reads "Accepted for Value with predjudice" - no, not a typo here, that's what the stamp actually reads, then the stamp is covered purple initialed thumbprint.

This colour purple reappears elsewhere, the Private copyright of TRADE-MARK/-TRADENAME Claim Good Faith PUBLIC NOTICE makes reference to a "purple autograph" as somehow special.

Some features that are duplicated here and my sample Tacit Supreme In Law Courts materials include that each document on its first page has a one dollar Canadian stamp in the upper left corner, marked with a thumbprint overwritten by a handwritten (c), and on the end of the last page on the bottom right corner a 3 cent Canadian stamp, also marked in the same manner. Both my sample Tacit Supreme In Law Courts documents and the "True Bill" include at the top of the page identical 'peace pipe' icons. But otherwise I do not see exact duplicate text, which is a little surprising.

Some of the Private Copyright document seems to be stitched together from various Sovereign / Freeman sources, but no clear predecessor.

It's all rather odd. Waxing phylogenic, I am increasing confused over what features here are derived versus primitive.

SMS Möwe
Burnaby49

Post by Burnaby49 »

If you check out this Topic I just started in non-US Tax re Fiscal Arbitrators You'll note a comment by the Tax Court judge;
[12] The communications with respect to the 2008 taxation year were similar, and it is unnecessary to repeat a document by document review. I do note, however, that she signed the 2008 return claiming $30,000 in business losses on March 20, 2009, two months after she had been notified by the CRA they were considering gross negligence penalties with respect to the 2007 taxation year. She signed her name on her return after putting in "per". The tax preparer did not complete the box in the return for professional tax preparers. She held firm in her testimony that, though she read the correspondences from the CRA, she simply forwarded everything to Mr. Watts without question, and then followed his instructions, including, for example, putting a three cent stamp on the bottom of one of the letters to the CRA, writing her name diagonally across it. She never contacted the CRA on her own accord or asked her former tax preparer to review the situation.

[13] To give a flavour of the verbiage used by Mr. Watts in the letters he instructed Ms. Mary Torres to sign, I reproduce part of a letter dated September 8, 2011, from Ms. Mary Torres, which she wrote with "ens legis" after her name. (translated as "an artificial being")

Any and all opinions offered in your letter are expressly rebutted for cause.

Please provide within 30 days to avoid Full Estoppel of any variance from your stated duty – the facts, reasons and assumptions and all presumptions upon which you are relying to make your offer only on a "under your penalty of perjury" and "under your full commercial and equitable liability under international law" basis to verify your accountability and uprightness, as previously agreed, and send all such information to the address as noted above for verification.
[14] Ms. Mary Torres, understandably, could not explain any of what Mr. Watts prepared for her, including her returns, adjustment requests or correspondences.
And some of the sample documents submitted by the Notaries to the BC Supreme Court re Chief Sino Rock also had thumbprints stuck besides signatures. The old tried and true.

viewtopic.php?f=46&t=9713

Kestrel

Post by Kestrel »

grixit wrote:Ah. Then never mind the maybe, now it's a must. The tenants must sue him as soon as possible, and the amount asked should assume the loss of their current trailers.

In addition to that, someone should start a gentle public relations campaign aimed at getting the tribe to give them more time in order not to look heartless.
The band gave the Bakers 5 years' notice in 2008. How much more time do they need to give? More importantly, I think, is whether the band notified the tenants directly and when.

Of course, the Bakers probably never told their tenants about the five year closeout time. And since the Bakers refused to sign the five year final lease, they could have been thrown off as soon as their refusal was transmitted. The fact that they let the Bakers stay the full five years anyway should be more than adequate consideration.

Finally, who is collecting the lease money, and who is hanging onto it? Since the Bakers have no lease, and haven't since 2008, shouldn't the trailer owners be paying the band directly?
"Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes your time and annoys the pig." - Robert Heinlein
wserra
Quatloosian Federal Witness
Quatloosian Federal Witness

Post by wserra »

Hilfskreuzer Möwe wrote:Waxing phylogenic
Formaldehyde usually works better than waxing. If you can stop these guys from drinking it.
"A wise man proportions belief to the evidence."
- David Hume
The Observer
Further Moderator

Post by The Observer »

I see the problem here. We have a situation where the Squamish Band, who are Native Americans, are relying on the white man's racist magic law-words to protect and enforce their ownership of land. And that always ends up with the land-dwellers being evicted off the land that they were living on. If only there was some true self-appointed Native Chief with super-notary powers that could appear and vanquish this illegal eviction with a stamp and a seal!
"I could be dead wrong on this" - Irwin Schiff

"Do you realize I may even be delusional with respect to my income tax beliefs? " - Irwin Schiff
Burnaby49

Post by Burnaby49 »

Kestrel wrote:
grixit wrote:Ah. Then never mind the maybe, now it's a must. The tenants must sue him as soon as possible, and the amount asked should assume the loss of their current trailers.

The band gave the Bakers 5 years' notice in 2008. How much more time do they need to give? More importantly, I think, is whether the band notified the tenants directly and when.

Of course, the Bakers probably never told their tenants about the five year closeout time. And since the Bakers refused to sign the five year final lease, they could have been thrown off as soon as their refusal was transmitted. The fact that they let the Bakers stay the full five years anyway should be more than adequate consideration.

Finally, who is collecting the lease money, and who is hanging onto it? Since the Bakers have no lease, and haven't since 2008, shouldn't the trailer owners be paying the band directly?
I can only give second hand information from my wife's friend, and since both wife and friend are out of town (wife in India for 6 weeks) I 'll have to rely on memory.

Firstly the Bakers told the tenants next to nothing, they knew there were lease issues but no details. This had wife's friend very upset. She is now very apprehensive about her future tenancy. If the band terminates their leases where will she go?

An important thing to keep in mind is that while the Squamish band may give the tenants some relief as PR they have no legal obligation to do so because the Squamish band has no legal obligations to the tenants apart from the new, individual, short term leases. The tenants had individual rental agreements with the Bakers and the Bakers had a head lease with the band.

As far as as rental payments are concerned the 126 page document I linked to in a prior post was a 2010 application to the Supreme Court of British Columbia for an Interlocutory Injunction which, amongst other things, asked for the removal of the Bakers and the appointment of a receiver/manager to collect lease payments and run the RV park. I believe they received approval and the Bakers were kicked out pending a court decision on the whole mess. As Mowe's postings show the court hearing was another circus and a total defeat for the Bakers.

Kestrel

Post by Kestrel »

Not a happy situation for the tenants at all. Too bad, so sad, but that's a hazard of renting.

It would seem this effectively works like a foreclosure situation on a rental property when the foreclosing bank throws out tenants. By terms of the lease the tenants may be entitled to certain damages for early termination, or may be able to enforce the current lease length, but if they can't buy the property themselves (assuming its even offered for sale) they have to leave when told to go.
Burnaby49

Post by Burnaby49 »

Kestrel wrote:Not a happy situation for the tenants at all. Too bad, so sad, but that's a hazard of renting.

It would seem this effectively works like a foreclosure situation on a rental property when the foreclosing bank throws out tenants. By terms of the lease the tenants may be entitled to certain damages for early termination, or may be able to enforce the current lease length, but if they can't buy the property themselves (assuming its even offered for sale) they have to leave when told to go.
There will be no early termination so no damages. The old lease that the Bakers had is gone, it expired and wasn't renewed. The tenants are now essentially on month to month lease contracts with the Squamish band. The band can quite legally refuse to renew the contracts whenever they want. The tenants have some protection but not much. If the band choses to redevelop and just lets the current leases expire the tenants have no recourse against the band.

A very similar situation happened a few years ago here in Burnaby in a small trailer park near my house that was redeveloped into condos. The tenants were denied lease renewal and forced to leave. From a PR standpoint a very negative situation for the property owners since the tenants were by and large elderly, on small fixed incomes, had lived there for years, and had nowhere to go. It was in the papers and the TV news, old people lamenting they were kicked out of their homes after 30 years etc. However they had no recourse. The municipality of Burnaby and the provincial government were sympathetic but said there was nothing they could do. As far as I can see my wife's friend, 70 years old, single, and with very little income or savings, will be facing exactly the same situation.

http://www.bcndpcaucus.ca/en/chouhan_th ... _residents