Moderators: Prof, Judge Roy Bean

Jeffrey
Admiral of the Quatloosian Seas

Dennis Marx

Post by Jeffrey »

http://edition.cnn.com/2014/06/06/justi ... ?hpt=hp_t3

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... enade.html
Marx was known to police, who said that his links to Sovereign Citizen groups had made them wary that a bomb may have been left.
CNN is reporting this guy had ties to Sovereign Citizens; bit of an odd moment on live TV when Wolf said he'd never heard of this group before.
notorial dissent
A Balthazar of Quatloosian Truth

Re: Dennis Marx

Post by notorial dissent »

Wolf lives in a rarefied world and doesn't really get out much.
The fact that you sincerely and wholeheartedly believe that the “Law of Gravity” is unconstitutional and a violation of your sovereign rights, does not absolve you of adherence to it.
Famspear
Knight Templar of the Sacred Tax

Post by Famspear »

On August 2, 2013, Marx had filed a pro se lawsuit under 42 USC section 1983 in Federal court in Georgia against the Forsyth County Sheriff's Office and over twenty individuals including numerous law enforcement officers in connection with an arrest that had been conducted at his residence at Cumming, Georgia, on August 10, 2011.

Dennis Marx v. Forsyth County Sheriff's Office et al., Case no. 2:13-cv-00175-RWS, U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Georgia (Gainesville Div.)
"My greatest fear is that the audience will beat me to the punch line." -- David Mamet
fortinbras
Princeps Wooloosia

Post by fortinbras »

News report is that Dennis Marx was trying to enter that courthouse carrying guns (plural), explosives, smoke grenades, and various cop/military type implements.

http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2014/06/06/h ... over-plot/

I think it's safe to say that he was intending to cause Very Serious Trouble.
ArthurWankspittle
Slavering Minister of Auto-erotic Insinuation

Post by ArthurWankspittle »

Famous tactical mistakes #73 - attacking a government building when there is half a SWAT team round the corner.
"There is something about true madness that goes beyond mere eccentricity." Will Self
notorial dissent
A Balthazar of Quatloosian Truth

Post by notorial dissent »

Will certainly go down as a new and novel approach at any rate. Certainly doesn’t appear to be any question about what his motives or intentions were at least. I don’t think there is any way that this can be spun out to putting him as the innocent victim, although I’m sure the attempt will be made.

I guess he does qualify though as an entry in the Darwin Awards for the coming year, and is certainly a novel approach to suicide by cop.
The fact that you sincerely and wholeheartedly believe that the “Law of Gravity” is unconstitutional and a violation of your sovereign rights, does not absolve you of adherence to it.
Famspear

Post by Famspear »

In looking over some of the paperwork that Marx filed in his lawsuit against the Forsyth County Sheriff's Office, I have to say that I am not convinced that I've seen tangible evidence that Marx held "sovereign citizen" beliefs, or that his lawsuit or the courthouse shooting were connected to the "sovereign citizen" madness. Several major news sources have made that connection, but I don't see it so far.

I will continue to monitor this.
"My greatest fear is that the audience will beat me to the punch line." -- David Mamet
fortinbras
Princeps Wooloosia

Post by fortinbras »

One of the problems (or if not a problem, then simply phenomena) about this sort of thing is that the expression "Sovereign Citizen" is not readily restricted or categorized, the way "Mickey Mouse Club Mouseketeer" might be. Lots of people call themselves, or allow others to call them, SovCits but their own agenda and beliefs are different from other people who are also called SovCits. There are probably a lot of yclept SovCits who are willing to pay taxes but draw the line at getting driver's license, and vice versa. It's not as if there were official and ironclad criteria for being a SovCit.

Today in Las Vegas someone started shooting up a restaurant, starting with two uniformed policemen who were there, shouting "The Revolution has begun." His Revolution came to an abrupt end about two blocks away within the hour, and so far I haven't heard any further details. Maybe SovCit, maybe not. Lots of people who are more rightly members of the tinfoil helmet brigade don't mind calling themselves SovCits and/or Teapartiers when they are really just Badly Medicated.
webhick
Illuminati Obfuscation: Black Ops Div

Post by webhick »

Yes, we need to start distinguishing the flavors. We can use code words like Extra Crispy, Original Recipe, Southwestern, Impending Gastrointestinal Episode.

So like a racist sovereign who believes that he has a right to everything he touches and is hiding out in a bunker ready to destroy the world would be an Extra Crispy Burrito with crippling IGE.
When chosen for jury duty, tell the judge "fortune cookie says guilty" - A fortune cookie
grixit
Recycler of Paytriot Fantasies

Post by grixit »

Fortunately, most of the rank and file is just tutti frutti.
Three cheers for the Lesser Evil!

10 . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 2
. . . . . . Dr Pepper
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . .. . . 4
Famspear

Post by Famspear »

webhick wrote:Yes, we need to start distinguishing the flavors. We can use code words like Extra Crispy, Original Recipe, Southwestern, Impending Gastrointestinal Episode.

So like a racist sovereign who believes that he has a right to everything he touches and is hiding out in a bunker ready to destroy the world would be an Extra Crispy Burrito with crippling IGE.
grixit wrote:Fortunately, most of the rank and file is just tutti frutti.
With a hefty sprinkling of mixed nuts.....
Duke2Earl
Eighth Operator of the Delusional Mooloo

Post by Duke2Earl »

I think we can call this newest Marx brother, Wacko.
My choice early in life was to either be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politican. And to tell the truth there's hardly any difference.

Harry S Truman
Jeffrey

Post by Jeffrey »

Shooting video has been released and it is insane:

http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2014/09/watc ... ourthouse/