Viva Zapata! Philip R. Zapata and his family storage unit!

Moderators: Prof, Judge Roy Bean

Hilfskreuzer Möwe
Northern Raider of Sovereign Commerce
Location: R R R SS Voltaire 47N 31 26W 22 R R R SS Voltaire 47N 31 2 [signal lost]

Viva Zapata! Philip R. Zapata and his family storage unit!

Post by Hilfskreuzer Möwe »

I'm on a roll tonight!
This one has some fun elements. Philip R. Zapata claims he is not bound by the law. Even though Zapata is a felon and prohibited from owning firearms he, well ... of course he doesn't have to pay attention to that:
An Erie man charged with multiple felonies challenged constitutional laws in a Monroe court and claimed his rights were violated when police searched his home and confiscated several weapons. Philip R. Za­pata, 36, of 6705 Preston St. said in First District Court Tuesday afternoon that he was not bound by Michigan laws, a belief typically shared by those known as sovereign-nation citizens.

“Your laws are violating my rights,” Mr. Zapata told First Dis­trict Judge Jack Vitale. “My rights don’t come from the Constitution. My rights come from the creator.”

The case against Mr. Zapata involves his alleged possession of weapons that Erie Township police removed from his home on Feb. 6. Chief Dean Ansel and Officer Jon LaSotta both testified that they had a legal search war­rant when they entered Mr. Za­pata’s house. Mr. Zapata, a convicted felon, is not allowed to legally own weapons. Inside the house that day, the police officers testified to finding and seizing a rifle in a bathroom, a 9mm handgun be­hind a trap door in a wall and a shotgun behind a freezer.

In June, Mr. Zapata was arrest­ed on a three-count felony war­rant charging him with being a felon in possession of firearms, which carries a maximum penalty of five years in prison. He said in court that he had a legal right to own guns.
His defence? Everything is something else!
Acting in his own defense, Mr. Zapata challenged virtually every facet of the case, including the police identifying his residence on Preston, which he called his “family storage unit.” He also challenged the use of his name because it was printed on legal documents in capital letters. He referred to his name as a “dead entity.”

“I have a right to protect my family no matter what,” he told the judge. “ It’s a survival tool; it’s a recreational tool. You could call it whatever you want.”

“Is it illegal in this country to own private property?” Mr. Zapata said. “I didn’t give it up voluntarily. It was robbed from me.”
I wonder what he's going to call his new long-term housing facility?

Viva Zapata!

SMS Möwe
That’s you and your crew, Mr. Hilfskreuzer. You’re just like a vampire, you must feel quite good about while the blood is dripping down from your lips onto the page or the typing, uhm keyboard there... [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YNMoUnUiDqg at 11:25]
grixit
Recycler of Paytriot Fantasies

Re: Viva Zapata! Philip R. Zapata and his family storage uni

Post by grixit »

what was he previously convicted of?
Three cheers for the Lesser Evil!

10 . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 2
. . . . . . Dr Pepper
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . .. . . 4
JamesVincent
A Councilor of the Kabosh

Post by JamesVincent »

What was the warrant based on?
Disciple of the cross and champion in suffering
Immerse yourself into the kingdom of redemption
Pardon your mind through the chains of the divine
Make way, the shepherd of fire

Avenged Sevenfold "Shepherd of Fire"
notorial dissent
A Balthazar of Quatloosian Truth

Post by notorial dissent »

three-count felony war­rant charging him with being a felon in possession of firearms
The warrant was issued as felon in possession of firearms, I would assume either his parole officer or more likely one of the neighbors turned him in. Either way, he is most likely going back to jail, and if he was on parole he'll most likely get to do his whole remaining sentence plus the firearms charge. He sounds like he's also guilty of felony stupid, but that isn't a sentenceable crime.
The fact that you sincerely and wholeheartedly believe that the “Law of Gravity” is unconstitutional and a violation of your sovereign rights, does not absolve you of adherence to it.
AndyK
Illuminatian Revenue Supremo Emeritus

Post by AndyK »

Acting in his own defense, Mr. Zapata challenged virtually every facet of the case, including the police identifying his residence on Preston, which he called his “family storage unit.” He also challenged the use of his name because it was printed on legal documents in capital letters. He referred to his name as a “dead entity.”
Would it be too tacky to suggest Zapata's name should have been 'Bates' ?
Taxes are the price we pay for a free society and to cover the responsibilities of the evaders
LPC
Trusted Keeper of the All True FAQ

Post by LPC »

Hilfskreuzer Möwe wrote:
Acting in his own defense, Mr. Zapata challenged virtually every facet of the case, including the police identifying his residence on Preston, which he called his “family storage unit.”
I wonder what he's going to call his new long-term housing facility?
Perhaps "idiot storage unit" would be appropriate.
Dan Evans
Foreman of the Unified Citizens' Grand Jury for Pennsylvania
(And author of the Tax Protester FAQ: evans-legal.com/dan/tpfaq.html)
"Nothing is more terrible than ignorance in action." Johann Wolfgang von Goethe.