Let me start my questions from the beginning.

Moderators: Prof, Judge Roy Bean

AndyK
Illuminatian Revenue Supremo Emeritus

Re: Let me start my questions from the beginning.

Post by AndyK »

Patriotdiscussions wrote:Sure very well then. Tell me does this definition

Animal includes cats, dogs, and hamsters

Of animal mean horse?
If you're trying to play games with the usage of "include, includes, or including" within 26USC, you need to add the definition such as is contained within 26USC; i.e, a term of expansion rather than a term of limitation.

In simple terms, YOU need to specify the definition of "includes" upon which you want to base the discussion instead of leaving the DEFINITION open to debate.
Taxes are the price we pay for a free society and to cover the responsibilities of the evaders
ProfHenryHiggins
Distinguished Don of Ponzi Philology

Post by ProfHenryHiggins »

Pottapaug1938 wrote: Troll-boy is also playing the typical sovrun word game in which to state that a particular term "includes" something is to necessarily exclude, from the scope of that term, anything not explicitly mentioned. Usually, some hoary legal maxim will be trotted out in support of the fantasy, as if that legal maxim came from sort of a secular/legal Holy Scripture. The fact that his/her proposition is completely wrong is beside the point.
In other words, he's taking the use of "includes" from mathematics (specifically, from set theory) and trying to apply it to matters in which mathematics is not involved nor relevant.
The Observer
Further Moderator

Post by The Observer »

ProfHenryHiggins wrote:In other words, he's taking the use of "includes" from mathematics (specifically, from set theory) and trying to apply it to matters in which mathematics is not involved nor relevant.
Right. So if he saw the following statement:
My Chocolate Chip Cookie Recipe includes the following items: eggs, milk and flour.
he would make the ridiculous argument that the recipe does not have chocolate chips in it.
"I could be dead wrong on this" - Irwin Schiff

"Do you realize I may even be delusional with respect to my income tax beliefs? " - Irwin Schiff
Patriotdiscussions
Admiral of the Quatloosian Seas

Post by Patriotdiscussions »

They are called rules of statutory interpretation, you should learn them...

http://digitalcommons.law.yale.edu/cgi/ ... fss_papers

The rule expressio unius est exclusio alterius (the inclusion of the one is the exclusion of the other): when a list of specific items is not followed by general words it is to be taken as exhaustive. For example, “weekends and public holidays” excludes ordinary weekdays

“(5) The rule ejusdem generis (of the same kind): when a list of specific items belonging to the same class is followed by general words (as in ‘cats, dogs, and other animals’), the general words are to be treated as confined to other items of the same class (in this example, to other domestic animals).
Pottapaug1938
Supreme Prophet (Junior Division)

Post by Pottapaug1938 »

Patriotdiscussions wrote:They are called rules of statutory interpretation, you should learn them...

The rule expressio unius est exclusio alterius (the inclusion of the one is the exclusion of the other): when a list of specific items is not followed by general words it is to be taken as exhaustive. For example, “weekends and public holidays” excludes ordinary weekdays

“(5) The rule ejusdem generis (of the same kind): when a list of specific items belonging to the same class is followed by general words (as in ‘cats, dogs, and other animals’), the general words are to be treated as confined to other items of the same class (in this example, to other domestic animals).
See the section beginning on page 5 of your quoted tome, Blackstone.

I'm reminded of a piece of sovrun idiocy in which the claimant asserted that since the stated definition of the United States "included" Puerto Rico and other US territories but did not specifically mention the 50 states of the Union, the United States, using the maxim of expressio unius est exclusio alterius , did not include any of the 50 states.

In other words, your legal maxims are of dubious value.
"We've been attacked by the intelligent, educated segment of the culture." -- Pastor Ray Mummert, Dover, PA, during an attempt to introduce creationism -- er, "intelligent design", into the Dover Public Schools
AndyK

Post by AndyK »

Patriotdiscussions wrote:They are called rules of statutory interpretation, you should learn them...

All of which may be well and good.

However, when a statute contains a specific definition of a term as in:
26USC7701 wrote:(c) Includes and including The terms "includes" and "including" when used in a definition contained in this title shall not be deemed to exclude other things otherwise within the meaning of the term defined
the specified definition overrides any other posible definition or construction of the word.
Taxes are the price we pay for a free society and to cover the responsibilities of the evaders
Famspear
Knight Templar of the Sacred Tax

Post by Famspear »

No, we don't need to "learn them." We're already aware of these rules, remember? And citing these rules in this forum as you did is a sure sign that you have been reading the usual wackadooster nonsense on the internet.

It's also a sure sign that you don't know how to use these rules.

The Quatloos regulars have covered the misuse of these rules over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over in this forum. See also the Tax Protester FAQ:
Misuse of the maxims “expressio unius est exclusio alterius” or “ejusdem generis.”

The Latin phrase “expressio unius est exclusio alterius” is a maxim of statutory construction, and translates roughly as “the expression of one meaning is an exclusion of others.” The maxim “is an aid to construction, not a rule of law. It can never override clear and contrary evidences of Congressional intent.” Neuberger v. Commissioner, 311 U.S. 83, 88 (1940). It “serves only as an aid in discovering the legislative intent when * * * [it] is not otherwise manifest.” United States v. Barnes, 222 U.S. 513, 519 (1912); see 2A Sutherland Stat. Const. sec. 47.23 (1984).

A similar, but somewhat different principle, is “ejusdem generis,” meaning “of the same kind.” A court following the principle of ejusdem generis might construe general words that follow or precede specific words in a statute as limited to meanings similar in nature to those enumerated by the preceding specific words. See, Circuit City Stores, Inc. v. Adams, 532 U.S. 105, 114-15 (2001). So, for example, the deduction allows by IRC section 165(c)(3) for losses due to “fire, storm, shipwreck, or other casualty” has been limited to “casualties” similar in suddeness and severity to fires, storms, and shipwrecks, and not extended to gradual losses, such as termite infestations. See United States v. Rogers, 120 F. 2d 244 (1941).

These rules of construction are used to eliminate ambiguities or uncertainties in statutes, but tax protesters frequently use them to distort the meaning of unambiguous statutes and negate the ordinary meanings of words....
--From The Tax Protester FAQ, copyright by Daniel B. Evans. See:

http://evans-legal.com/dan/tpfaq.html#expressiounius

8)

Again, you don't seem to understand what's going on here. This Quatloos forum has been here for many, many, many years. I have been posting here for over seven years, and many posters have been here much longer than that. I have been studying people like you for over 15 years, and very intensively -- virtually every day -- for over eight years.

So far, you have come up with nothing that the Quatloos regulars haven't already seen and debunked long before you arrived, "Patriotdiscussions".
"My greatest fear is that the audience will beat me to the punch line." -- David Mamet
fortinbras
Princeps Wooloosia

Post by fortinbras »

Why are we still wasting bandwidth on this troll?
The Observer
Further Moderator

Post by The Observer »

fortinbras wrote:Why are we still wasting bandwidth on this troll?
So other people, whether readers, lurkers, vistors or would-be trolls, might learn something and avoid the mistakes that patriotdiscussions has made.
"I could be dead wrong on this" - Irwin Schiff

"Do you realize I may even be delusional with respect to my income tax beliefs? " - Irwin Schiff
Arthur Rubin
Tupa-O-Quatloosia

Post by Arthur Rubin »

Patriotdiscussions wrote:“(5) The rule ejusdem generis (of the same kind): when a list of specific items belonging to the same class is followed by general words (as in ‘cats, dogs, and other animals’), the general words are to be treated as confined to other items of the same class (in this example, to other domestic animals).
I don't agree that the class is "domestic animals". It could be "animals often (or usually) found in a dwelling" (horse, excluded), "domesticated animals" (horse included), "domestic animals", "owned animals" (horse even more likely included than cats and dogs), or some other class. Does your misreading of law dictionaries provide any insight as to which of the classes is likely to be correct, even if that principle applies.

BTW, a horse may be a motor vehicle, for the purpose of DUI. Pennsylvania v. Noel, 857 A.2d 1283 (Pennsylvania, 2004), Eaken, J, dissenting. [Probably best known, at least in law school circles, for a verse penned by Eaken, to the tune of the Mr. Ed theme.]
Last edited by Arthur Rubin on Mon Sep 08, 2014 10:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: adjust punctuation
Arthur Rubin, unemployed tax preparer and aerospace engineer
ImageJoin the Blue Ribbon Online Free Speech Campaign!

Butterflies are free. T-shirts are $19.95 $24.95 $29.95
JamesVincent
A Councilor of the Kabosh

Post by JamesVincent »

Arthur Rubin wrote:I don't agree that the class is "domestic animals". It could be "animals often (or usually) found in a dwelling" (horse, excluded), "domesticated animals" (horse included), "domestic animals", "owned animals" (horse even more likely included than cats and dogs), or some other class.
Animals with four legs would be about the only class that all would be in since it is more likely, statistically, for a horse to be domestic then a cat or dog.
Disciple of the cross and champion in suffering
Immerse yourself into the kingdom of redemption
Pardon your mind through the chains of the divine
Make way, the shepherd of fire

Avenged Sevenfold "Shepherd of Fire"
grixit
Recycler of Paytriot Fantasies

Post by grixit »

Well i tried. Time to impose the amish death penalty.
Three cheers for the Lesser Evil!

10 . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 2
. . . . . . Dr Pepper
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . .. . . 4
PeanutGallery

Post by PeanutGallery »

The Observer wrote:
ProfHenryHiggins wrote:In other words, he's taking the use of "includes" from mathematics (specifically, from set theory) and trying to apply it to matters in which mathematics is not involved nor relevant.
Right. So if he saw the following statement:
My Chocolate Chip Cookie Recipe includes the following items: eggs, milk and flour.
he would make the ridiculous argument that the recipe does not have chocolate chips in it.
Would his head explode if, following the list of your cookies ingredients, he was further informed that it may contain traces of nut?
Warning may contain traces of nut
LaVidaRoja
Basileus Quatlooseus

Post by LaVidaRoja »

Of course, if he left out the sugar, butter, vanilla, and baking soda, he likely would not produce a very good cookie.....
Little boys who tell lies grow up to be weathermen.
Gregg
Conde de Quatloo

Post by Gregg »

I've seen enough...unless someone wishes to dissent.
Supreme Commander of The Imperial Illuminati Air Force
Your concern is duly noted, filed, folded, stamped, sealed with wax and affixed with a thumbprint in red ink, forgotten, recalled, considered, reconsidered, appealed, denied and quietly ignored.
AndyK

Post by AndyK »

Sorry. Didn't notice the thread had been locked.