Gun Trusts?

Moderators: Prof, Judge Roy Bean

Demosthenes
Grand Exalted Keeper of Esoterica

Gun Trusts?

Post by Demosthenes »

I don't know if it's sovereign, but that's who's been talking about it thanks to wikipedia.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gun_Trust
Demo.
Judge Roy Bean
Judge for the District of Quatloosia
Judge for the District of Quatloosia

Re: Gun Trusts?

Post by Judge Roy Bean »

I think the average sovcit would find creating such an entity/trust a red flag for coming after their liberty tools.
The Honorable Judge Roy Bean
The world is a car and you're a crash-test dummy.
The Devil Makes Three
Famspear
Knight Templar of the Sacred Tax

Post by Famspear »

There is a brief section on gun trusts (National Firearms Act trusts, or NFA trusts) in a course approved for continuing education credit for Texas attorneys. I haven't taken the course and I know nothing about these trusts.

Here's an article on the subject from CNN, from a few years back:

http://www.cnn.com/2011/US/05/25/explor ... .loophole/
"My greatest fear is that the audience will beat me to the punch line." -- David Mamet
Dr. Caligari
J.D., Miskatonic University School of Crickets

Post by Dr. Caligari »

I don't know much about gun trusts, but I know they're a real thing, not like a "common law court" or a "people's grand jury."
Dr. Caligari
(Du musst Caligari werden!)
Demosthenes

Post by Demosthenes »

The wingnuts see the use of such trusts as a means to get around the felon in possession of a firearm laws.
Demo.
Demosthenes

Post by Demosthenes »

Demo.
pigpot
Banned (Permanently)
Banned (Permanently)

Post by pigpot »

"Gun trusts"... Great for sane people. Leave your firearms to those you love to protect themselves...

Is that what "you" wanted to hear from the gun lobby (of which I am not)?
Boaz. It's a little like Shazam. It certainly meant a lot to Billy Batson.
Nothing in this post is legal or lawful advice, it is only used for the sake of entertainment.
All "rights" are reserved by this poster.
eric
Trivial Observer of Great War

Post by eric »

pigpot wrote:"Gun trusts"... Great for sane people. Leave your firearms to those you love to protect themselves...
Is that what "you" wanted to hear from the gun lobby (of which I am not)?
I see over on another thread on this forum viewtopic.php?f=48&t=10094&start=120 you have been discussing the concept of ownership which may be relevant to this discussion. I am certainly not a member of the so called "gun lobby", not even being a resident of the US, but I have personal familiarity with the legal aspects and responsibilities of owning the type of firearms which the gun trust provisions are set up for.
Fully automatic firearms are valuable financial assets. Here's a link to an online auction site to give you an idea of pricing. http://www.gunbroker.com/Machine-Guns/BI.aspx Also, because of changes in firearms regulations, weapons which may have set me back a few 100 dollars 25 to 40 years ago now have a resale value orders of magnitude greater. As an example, I note that an operational sten gun is selling for 5K$. In the 1970's in Canada I could buy one for $300, with additional stens at a buck a pop with a customer limit of five - not a bad ROI if I decided to sell them now. :snooty:
However, the whole critical issue with ownership of these types of weapons is protection of your ownership. In the US, simply taking up a new residence may force me to sell a valuable investment. In Canada, if I'm doing estate planning, I better prepare to sell or donate these assets now. Gun trusts can be viewed in some respects as a means of protecting these assets, the same way I would set up provisions to protect the family farm as in my personal case, an investment asset.
ArthurWankspittle
Slavering Minister of Auto-erotic Insinuation

Post by ArthurWankspittle »

eric wrote:..... an operational sten gun .....
My knowledge of military history says they are very rare...... :sarcasmon:
"There is something about true madness that goes beyond mere eccentricity." Will Self
eric
Trivial Observer of Great War

Post by eric »

ArthurWankspittle wrote:
eric wrote:..... an operational sten gun .....
My knowledge of military history says they are very rare...... :sarcasmon:
Very true, common as dirt, and in real value, not worth much more than their scrap weight. Many of the stuff that these sights sell is vastly overpriced IMHO, not being very rare, having limited historical value, and not even being very interesting examples of technology or the gunsmith's art. However, people are perfectly prepared to pay top dollar for them so I'm not going to argue with taste - I hear that people pay top dollar for useless chinaware and barbie dolls as well but they haven't seen the need to create Beany Baby Trusts. :shrug:
ArthurWankspittle
Slavering Minister of Auto-erotic Insinuation

Post by ArthurWankspittle »

:snicker: Eric that was me being sarcastic about their reliability. They were notorious for jamming, probably most famously when it wasn't the weapon that killed Heydrich.
"There is something about true madness that goes beyond mere eccentricity." Will Self