Henry gang convicted

Moderators: Prof, Judge Roy Bean

Lambkin
Warder of the Quatloosian Gibbet

Henry gang convicted

Post by Lambkin »

http://www.heraldnet.com/article/201512 ... /151219125
A federal jury in Columbia Wednesday found five defendants guilty of committing various kinds of tax fraud in conspiring to get millions in IRS refunds and actually getting some $2 million before government agents discovered their scheme.

After five days of testimony and hearing from 27 government witnesses, the jury took just 90 minutes to find all five guilty of 36 out of 37 counts of charges related to various kinds of federal tax fraud.
Guilty were defendants Jefford Henry and his wife Linda Marie Henry, their son Jeffrey Henry, all of Bishopville; their daughter, Makeshia Lashon Glover, of Sumter; and a friend, Bobby McGuire, of Wilson, N.C.
Lambkin
Warder of the Quatloosian Gibbet

Re: Henry gang convicted

Post by Lambkin »

http://www.scnow.com/news/state/article ... c04e4.html
Assistant U.S. Attorney DeWayne Pearson, his voice tinged with sarcasm and disbelief, stood Tuesday before a federal jury in Columbia and asked alleged tax fraud schemer Jefford Henry how he came to ask for a $990,000 tax refund from the IRS.

“I think that number came out of my head,” replied Henry with a straight face as the jury looked on.

“So you just made it up?” snapped Pearson.

“Yeah,” replied Henry, a man who appeared to be in his 60s. He took the witness stand Tuesday on the trial’s fourth day to testify in his own defense.
According to evidence in the case, Henry and his co-defendants are affiliated with the Sovereign Citizens movement, a loosely knit network of Americans who believe the U.S. government has limited authority over them. Many also believe the federal government has a secret stash of money accessible only by certain citizens who have learned techniques of how to apply for – and get – sizable tax refunds.

In other testimony Tuesday, Henry co-defendant Bobby McGuire told the jury that he, like Henry, had filed a 1041 tax refund form with the federal government and claimed a refund of $990,000.

The IRS Form 1041 is the form used by estates and trusts. Under the Sovereign Citizens philosophy, people in the United States can use this form to access the supposed secret stash of federal money.
Jeffrey
Admiral of the Quatloosian Seas
Admiral of the Quatloosian Seas

Post by Jeffrey »

It is easy to claim and get large refunds from the IRS if taxpayers send in electronic tax forms claiming a refund, according to testimony... However, the IRS does vet returns filed by paper more carefully, and that’s how the IRS foiled an attempt by McGuire to claim a refund of about $990,000, according to evidence in the trial.
Seriously?
Burnaby49
Quatloosian Ambassador to the CaliCanadians
Quatloosian Ambassador to the CaliCanadians

Post by Burnaby49 »

Jeffrey wrote:
It is easy to claim and get large refunds from the IRS if taxpayers send in electronic tax forms claiming a refund, according to testimony... However, the IRS does vet returns filed by paper more carefully, and that’s how the IRS foiled an attempt by McGuire to claim a refund of about $990,000, according to evidence in the trial.
Seriously?
It's getting that way in Canada. Used to be when we all files paper paper tax returns you had to have supporting documents attached to the return and staff (temps hired just for filing season) went through all returns checking amounts on the returns agains the supporting documents. If you didn't have a valid receipt for that $500 charitable donation deduction it got tossed. Now that the government has pushed electronic filings of tax returns in a big way you don't include any supporting documents. You can pick whatever numbers you want and hope you don't get audited later. You probably won't.
"Yes Burnaby49, I do in fact believe all process servers are peace officers. I've good reason to believe so." Robert Menard in his May 28, 2015 video "Process Servers".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XeI-J2PhdGs
theSovereign1
Scalawag
Scalawag

Post by theSovereign1 »

if there is any "tax scheme" its the Government who is perpetrating it...it is fiction of law, not needed, and it is voluntary. nobody paid taxes before WW1 and WW2..and we still had reads and hospitals and schools!
theSovereign1
Scalawag
Scalawag

Post by theSovereign1 »

show me the law that requires me to pay taxes! pretty sure aaron russo proved this a decade ago...
Gregg
Conde de Quatloo

Post by Gregg »

theSovereign1 wrote:if there is any "tax scheme" its the Government who is perpetrating it...it is fiction of law, not needed, and it is voluntary. nobody paid taxes before WW1 and WW2..and we still had reads and hospitals and schools!
People did indeed pay taxes before the World Wars, but this has been addressed as many times as it need be if I say you're terribly misguided.

Regarding your last claim, I think you mean roads and not reads, and roads that are funded by the Federal Government are paid for with excise taxes on fuel, tires and usage fees paid by commercial shippers. Hospitals are as often as not private institutions and those that are public owned are mostly state and county operations, again, not something funded primarily by income taxes. Schools are also local institutions, most commonly funded with property taxes, and in the days of 'yore
you seem so fond of, charged tuition for the students.

So, any more idiocy you'd care to be set straight about?
Supreme Commander of The Imperial Illuminati Air Force
Your concern is duly noted, filed, folded, stamped, sealed with wax and affixed with a thumbprint in red ink, forgotten, recalled, considered, reconsidered, appealed, denied and quietly ignored.
Famspear
Knight Templar of the Sacred Tax

Post by Famspear »

theSovereign1 wrote:show me the law that requires me to pay taxes! pretty sure aaron russo proved this a decade ago...
No, he didn't. And Aaron Russo has been covered extensively in this forum.

"Show me the law" is a line from an old tax protester scam -- the argument that "no law makes me liable for the Federal income tax." That lie has been exposed over and over.
theSovereign1 wrote:if there is any "tax scheme" its the Government who is perpetrating it...it is fiction of law, not needed, and it is voluntary. nobody paid taxes before WW1 and WW2...
That's another lie that has been exposed here in this forum, over and over and over and over and over again. Individuals did indeed owe and pay U.S. Federal income tax before World War I and before World War II.
"My greatest fear is that the audience will beat me to the punch line." -- David Mamet
Famspear
Knight Templar of the Sacred Tax

Post by Famspear »

deleted double post
"My greatest fear is that the audience will beat me to the punch line." -- David Mamet
The Observer
Further Moderator

Post by The Observer »

The State – South Carolina
March 31, 2016

‘Sovereign Citizens’ Sentenced for Stealing $2 million from IRS

COLUMBIA, SC Five people claiming to be sovereign citizens found guilty of stealing millions from the federal government were sentenced to a collective 37 years in federal court today.

Jefford Henry, Jeffrey Henry, Linda Marie Henry, Makeshia Glover and Bobby McGuire were sentenced for conspiracy to commit wire, mail and bank fraud, wire fraud, mail fraud and money laundering, according to a news release from U.S. Attorney Bill Nettles’ District of South Carolina office.

U.S. District Judge Mary Geiger Lewis sentenced Jefford Henry to 108 months, Jeffrey Henry to 121 months, Linda Marie Henry to 87 months, Glover to 87 months and McGuire to 46 months.

During the trial, evidence showed those convicted were members of the sovereign citizens group the Moorish Nation.

The five stole about $2 million from the IRS and attempted to steal more than $12 million by submitting fraudulent tax returns, the release stated. The group then shared the proceeds by purchasing vehicles and property.

The five claimed their beliefs allowed them to steal from the IRS, which the jury rejected.

The release stated the defendants filed “frivolous and nonsensical demands” with the court and were taken into custody immediately following sentencing.
"I could be dead wrong on this" - Irwin Schiff

"Do you realize I may even be delusional with respect to my income tax beliefs? " - Irwin Schiff