Haff, Stephen: Shamelessly Held by Corporate "State"

Moderators: Prof, Judge Roy Bean

KickahaOta
Admiral of the Quatloosian Seas

Haff, Stephen: Shamelessly Held by Corporate "State"

Post by KickahaOta »

The Tenth Circuit got a double helping of sovereign citizenry on the 29th. In addition to Mister Lee-Colon-Hutson, the Tenth reviewed a habeas corpus petition from Stephen Haff. Mister Haff (who at least submits to conventional theories of name punctuation) has an even more pressing demand for justice than Mister Lee-Colon-Hutson, for he has been kidnapped by the so-called "State" of Colorado. As the Tenth Circuit described in its ruling, Mister Haff is (or at least was) currently in pretrial detention, and makes the following claims:
1. “It is lawfully impossible for the applicant to violate any statute belonging to the state because the applicant is not and has never been a member, subject, and/or affiliated in any way with the state. . . .”
2. “The applicant is not subject to the Denver County and District Courts. . . . Both of these courts are legislatively created (corporate) Article I courts of limited jurisdiction and not constitutional Article III courts of competent jurisdiction. . . .”
3. “The state lacks legal standing to bring and maintain [his criminal] case because the state has not suffered an (1) injury in fact (2) to a legally protected interest. . . .”
4. “Article III. Section 2. Clause 2., of the Constitution for the United States of America, specifically prohibits any state court from exerting jurisdiction over this case. . . .” (emphasis in original)
5. “Although the underlying matter is called a criminal case. The true nature of the proceeding is of a commercial nature and the state and the state courts exerting jurisdiction over it. Are using a quasi form of admiralty-maritime rules to intentionally deceive the applicant. . . .”
The district court refused to even consider these devastating allegations, spouting platitudes about 'comity' and 'abstention'. And the Tenth Circuit agreed: (Most citations omitted)
Federal courts are generally prohibited from interfering with ongoing state criminal prosecutions. Younger abstention applies when “(1) the state proceedings are ongoing; (2) the state proceedings implicate important state interests; and (3) the state proceedings afford an adequate opportunity to present the federal constitutional challenges.”

Mr. Haff concedes the first two prongs are met. He contends, however, the state proceedings do not provide an adequate forum to present his constitutional claims of error. He points out that the Colorado Supreme Court denied his motion for a stay and his “petition for a writ of habeas corpus.” But there is no indication the Colorado Supreme Court has foreclosed a direct appeal or postconviction relief in the event of a conviction.

We are therefore unpersuaded that the state court proceedings do not “afford [Mr. Haff] an adequate opportunity to present the federal constitutional challenges.” Phelps,
122 F.3d at 889; see also Kugler v. Helfant, 421 U.S. 117, 124 (1975) (noting “ordinarily
a pending state prosecution provides the accused a fair and sufficient opportunity for
vindication of federal constitutional rights”); Fisher v. Whetsel, 142 F. App’x 337, 339 (10th Cir. 2005) (unpublished) (“Because [the applicant] may present a claim for ineffective assistance of counsel in a direct appeal . . . , he has an adequate state forum in which to adjudicate his federal claims.”). As the district court stated, “The fact that Mr. Haff’s efforts to prevent the State from prosecuting the criminal case against him so far have been unsuccessful does not mean that he has not had, or does not have, an adequate opportunity to present his federal constitutional issues during the state court proceedings.”

In sum, Mr. Haff has not shown “jurists of reason would find it debatable whether the district court was correct in its procedural ruling.”
Tragic, really.
Judge Roy Bean
Judge for the District of Quatloosia

Re: Haff, Stephen: Shamelessly Held by Corporate "State"

Post by Judge Roy Bean »

When the going gets tough, the easily deluded and desperate seem to go to the lowest common denominator of legal mythology on the 'net.
The Honorable Judge Roy Bean
The world is a car and you're a crash-test dummy.
The Devil Makes Three
notorial dissent
A Balthazar of Quatloosian Truth

Post by notorial dissent »

I still haven't figured out what these two losers got busted for to begin with, but I suspect it was the usual sovrun nonsense.
The fact that you sincerely and wholeheartedly believe that the “Law of Gravity” is unconstitutional and a violation of your sovereign rights, does not absolve you of adherence to it.
The Observer
Further Moderator

Post by The Observer »

We could start a betting pool and see who gets the answer right:

(1) Citation for jaywalking
(2) Parking ticket for exceeding the ten-minute time limit
(3) Failure to pay for a meal
(4) Panhandling/soliciting without a license
(5) Littering
(6) Cutting in line at the movie theater
(7) Evicted off the couch from parents' home
(8) Failure to return checked-out library book
(9) Stealing pigeons from the local park
(10) Snoring in court during trial for previous offense
"I could be dead wrong on this" - Irwin Schiff

"Do you realize I may even be delusional with respect to my income tax beliefs? " - Irwin Schiff
KickahaOta

Post by KickahaOta »

I hate to spoil a good betting pool, but according to Mr. Haff himself, or should I say "Stephen Haff (Private flesh and blood Sovereign American Citizen"), he was detained for "alleged violations of State 'Criminal' Statutes codified within Title 18 of the Colorado Revised Statutes. To include, Two Counts of Aggravated Robbery, C.R.S. 18-4-302; and One Count of Menacing, C.R.S. 18-3-206."

So, not exactly loitering with intent to mope.
KickahaOta

Post by KickahaOta »

I put the original petition up on scribd; it's fairly standard sovereign stuff.
Judge Roy Bean

Post by Judge Roy Bean »

Try bank robbery:

http://www.heraldnet.com/article/201304 ... /704039839
EVERETT -- A convicted bank robber talked his way onto the wrong side of a Snohomish County Superior Court judge Wednesday after he refused to affix his fingerprints to some paperwork. Judge Michael Downes was patient at first, listening to Stephen Haff's five-plus minute speech expounding on why the criminal court has no authority to convict or imprison him. Haff, referring to himself as a "third-party creditor," demanded his immediate release.

"You are a citizen and subject to the same laws as the rest of us," Downes said.

The judge then sentenced Haff to nearly four years in prison for a 2011 robbery at a Marysville bank.

Haff wasn't done, though. He said he wasn't going to allow anyone to roll his fingerprints onto the court record and he wasn't going to sign any paperwork.

Downes, however, was done.He ordered Haff to be held in contempt. He warned the man that meant Haff wouldn't get any credit toward his sentence while he was in defiance of the judge's orders.

"I hold you contempt for violating my inalienable rights," Haff shot back.

Downes left the bench, only to return two minutes later after Haff reconsidered. He said he would follow the judge's orders as long as he could make a record of his protest."I'm doing this under threat and don't believe the order is lawful. And, accordingly, this is bull," Haff said.

A jury in February took about 30 minutes to convict Haff of first-degree robbery. Prosecutors alleged that he passed a lengthy note to a US Bank teller demanding money. Haff left the note behind but made off with about $2,600. Scientists at the state crime lab found a thumbprint on the back of the note. The print matched that of the defendant. Jurors also were told one of Haff's hairs was found in a baseball cap similar to the one worn by the robber.The defense argued that someone else could have committed the heist and planted evidence to frame the defendant.

On the day he was convicted, Haff flipped off the lead detective while the verdict was read.
The Honorable Judge Roy Bean
The world is a car and you're a crash-test dummy.
The Devil Makes Three
The Observer
Further Moderator

Post by The Observer »

John Dillinger would have never lowered himself to this pitiable state. They don't make bank robbers like they used to.
"I could be dead wrong on this" - Irwin Schiff

"Do you realize I may even be delusional with respect to my income tax beliefs? " - Irwin Schiff
notorial dissent
A Balthazar of Quatloosian Truth

Post by notorial dissent »

Of the two idiots mentioned earlier, the one being held in Mesa County appears to be in the hoosegow for at the very least felon in possession.
The fact that you sincerely and wholeheartedly believe that the “Law of Gravity” is unconstitutional and a violation of your sovereign rights, does not absolve you of adherence to it.