Who can prosecute Gurus?

Moderators: Prof, Judge Roy Bean

Jeffrey
Admiral of the Quatloosian Seas

Who can prosecute Gurus?

Post by Jeffrey »

I got a comment a few weeks ago that brought up an interesting point. If we have documented cases of gurus giving people legal advice in exchange for money that result in the client losing in court or going to jail, who can that information be sent to to hopefully get a prosecution going?

I was thinking maybe the state bar for unauthorized practice of law, but most of these cases involve a guru in one state and a client in another state. Would the bar in the state the Guru lives in have the ability to charge them for stuff that happened in another state? What is the level of evidence you should accumulate before contacting them? etc.
bmxninja357

Re: Who can prosecute Gurus?

Post by bmxninja357 »

did most of the guru's not teach us that we can file our own private prosecutions?

gosh, this could make it awkward down at the dennys....

peace,
ninj
whoever said laughter is the best medicine never had gonorrhea....
The Observer
Further Moderator

Post by The Observer »

bmxninja357 wrote:did most of the guru's not teach us that we can file our own private prosecutions?

peace,
ninj
I think the only prosecutions you would see at a Denny's FOTL Court would be in the parking lot.
"I could be dead wrong on this" - Irwin Schiff

"Do you realize I may even be delusional with respect to my income tax beliefs? " - Irwin Schiff
The Observer
Further Moderator

Post by The Observer »

Jeffrey wrote:I got a comment a few weeks ago that brought up an interesting point. If we have documented cases of gurus giving people legal advice in exchange for money that result in the client losing in court or going to jail, who can that information be sent to to hopefully get a prosecution going?

I was thinking maybe the state bar for unauthorized practice of law, but most of these cases involve a guru in one state and a client in another state. Would the bar in the state the Guru lives in have the ability to charge them for stuff that happened in another state? What is the level of evidence you should accumulate before contacting them? etc.
I imagine that it would be up to the government prosecuting attorney for wherever the crime occurred to make that decision. But what is the definition of "legal advice?" And how bad does it have to be before it is considered criminal?
"I could be dead wrong on this" - Irwin Schiff

"Do you realize I may even be delusional with respect to my income tax beliefs? " - Irwin Schiff
Judge Roy Bean
Judge for the District of Quatloosia

Post by Judge Roy Bean »

Jeffrey wrote:I got a comment a few weeks ago that brought up an interesting point. If we have documented cases of gurus giving people legal advice in exchange for money that result in the client losing in court or going to jail, who can that information be sent to to hopefully get a prosecution going?

There is a difference between giving someone advice and representing them in a legal matter. And if you took the idea of prosecution to an extreme, selling someone a book could be construed as providing legal advice.

And the "victim" in these circumstances has rejected the sound advice to retain an actual attorney.
The Honorable Judge Roy Bean
The world is a car and you're a crash-test dummy.
The Devil Makes Three
Dr. Caligari
J.D., Miskatonic University School of Crickets

Post by Dr. Caligari »

Judge Roy Bean wrote:There is a difference between giving someone advice and representing them in a legal matter. And if you took the idea of prosecution to an extreme, selling someone a book could be construed as providing legal advice.

And the "victim" in these circumstances has rejected the sound advice to retain an actual attorney.
Preparing legal documents for someone else to file in their court case is considered the unauthorized practice of law. And the authorities with jurisdiction over that would be the ones in the state where the documents were filed, even if the guru lives elsewhere.
Dr. Caligari
(Du musst Caligari werden!)
Prof
El Pontificator de Porceline Precepts

Post by Prof »

This is one of those "it depends" matters. Context and content count. For example, providing forms of the typical "fill in the blank" variety is not the practice of law-- otherwise, lots of printing companies would be under "cease and desist" orders. "LegalZoom" and similar form and some content providers have been dragged before Unauthorized Practice" committees of local bar associations with little impact upon their businesses.

The tests for "unauthorized" practice are now much stricter and much more flexible, as I learned when I served on the local Unauthorized Practice Committee.
"My Health is Better in November."
Judge Roy Bean

Post by Judge Roy Bean »

Good to hear from you, Prof! It's been a long time. 8)
The Honorable Judge Roy Bean
The world is a car and you're a crash-test dummy.
The Devil Makes Three
Philistine

Post by Philistine »

bmxninja357 wrote:did most of the guru's not teach us that we can file our own private prosecutions?

peace,
ninj
Now that's funny ninja. :lol:

To the matter of the question, it seems we've had Eric's case where the boys were chased by the real estate board and Burnaby's chief Sino whatever where the Notaries got involved. It seems you have to start with a professional association and move forward from there. The crown doesn't seem to get involved until someone is punching a little higher.

ETA
Sorry, I forgot I was posting in the US forum, but the principle is probably the same for the state attorneys...
Burnaby49
Quatloosian Ambassador to the CaliCanadians
Quatloosian Ambassador to the CaliCanadians

Post by Burnaby49 »

Philistine wrote:

peace,
ninj
Now that's funny ninja. :lol:

To the matter of the question, it seems we've had Eric's case where the boys were chased by the real estate board and Burnaby's chief Sino whatever where the Notaries got involved. It seems you have to start with a professional organization and move forward from there.
Seems to be the case, at least here in Canada. The notaries had to pursue a private action against the Chief because the government wouldn't do it. I believe same with lawyers. However I think that it's different with doctors because of the enhanced risk and the government takes those on directly with backing from the medical association. But it takes a lot even with doctors leaving a lot of leeway for the alternate-medicine quacks.
"Yes Burnaby49, I do in fact believe all process servers are peace officers. I've good reason to believe so." Robert Menard in his May 28, 2015 video "Process Servers".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XeI-J2PhdGs
bmxninja357

Post by bmxninja357 »

One would think you would go after them using a lawsuit, possibly class action. All you need is proof the goods or services are actually useless and that the seller knew, or ought to have known the product or service was not only defective but also dangerous. Yet marketed them anyway. Think treadeau in the alternative medicine racket or the wire bracelets. Same legal theory. Only this causes more harm than a piece of aircraft cable with two copper balls on the ends.

Jmo
Ninj
whoever said laughter is the best medicine never had gonorrhea....
notorial dissent
A Balthazar of Quatloosian Truth

Post by notorial dissent »

The problem, is that while for every Trudeau,who I happen to not think got anywhere near what he deserved, there are the ones who it would be pointless to go after since they've already spent it. The other problem with going the civil route is that in order to get there you have to find one of their "victims" who will admit to having been victimized, and then there is the whole sort of trying to cheat someone, the taxman, etc thing that just makes it real hard to get any of them to do so. That and the vast majority of the "victims" aren't all that bright to begin with, couldn't really afford to go to court, and the whole admitting they were scammed bit is a problem for them. They are rather like the prosperity suckers, it hasn't happened in umpteen years, it isn't NEVER EVER going to happen, but they have faith and nothing you can say to them changes that. They will continue being bone headedely stupid and faithful to the end.
The fact that you sincerely and wholeheartedly believe that the “Law of Gravity” is unconstitutional and a violation of your sovereign rights, does not absolve you of adherence to it.
Jeffrey

Post by Jeffrey »

Dr. Caligari wrote:Preparing legal documents for someone else to file in their court case is considered the unauthorized practice of law. And the authorities with jurisdiction over that would be the ones in the state where the documents were filed, even if the guru lives elsewhere.
So I would have to contact authorities in each state where the Guru had clients and send them the pertinent information?

Where's the line crossed? If it's a federal criminal case and the Guru was paid in exchange for helping draft documents and file lawsuits, can that be acted upon?
wserra
Quatloosian Federal Witness

Post by wserra »

Jeffrey wrote:So I would have to contact authorities in each state where the Guru had clients and send them the pertinent information?
Basically yes. Unless you could get the feds interested, which is not likely. Especially if the guru in question is not drinking his/her own Koolaid.
Where's the line crossed? If it's a federal criminal case and the Guru was paid in exchange for helping draft documents and file lawsuits, can that be acted upon?
Can it be? Sure. Will it be? Maybe, maybe not. LE tends to view stuff like this as victimless, since the person whom the guru was helping was trying to get over. If the victims were little old ladies and retired parsons, that would pique their interest.
"A wise man proportions belief to the evidence."
- David Hume
Jeffrey

Post by Jeffrey »

To use an example you recently gave, would you even bother trying to report the Mark Edwards / Marc Stevens situation?
SteveUK

Post by SteveUK »

Look, we all know that if you need a reputable prosecutor - there's only one place to turn!

http://www.cocoainterspace.com
Is it SteveUK or STEVE: of UK?????
wserra

Post by wserra »

Jeffrey wrote:To use an example you recently gave, would you even bother trying to report the Mark Edwards / Marc Stevens situation?
Nope.
- David Hume
pigpot
Banned (Permanently)
Banned (Permanently)

Post by pigpot »

wserra wrote:
Jeffrey wrote:To use an example you recently gave, would you even bother trying to report the Mark Edwards / Marc Stevens situation?
Nope.
Marc Stevens case... Which would that one be?
Boaz. It's a little like Shazam. It certainly meant a lot to Billy Batson.
Nothing in this post is legal or lawful advice, it is only used for the sake of entertainment.
All "rights" are reserved by this poster.
wserra

Post by wserra »

- David Hume