Harvey Dent and the Intellectual Freedom Movement

Moderators: Prof, Judge Roy Bean

TBL
Admiral of the Quatloosian Seas

Re: Harvey Dent and the Intellectual Freedom Movement

Post by TBL »

OK, just a few points from the perspective of someone who has written many crash reports and attempted to reconstruct events such as this:
I believe this is US, so why is he in the oncoming lane? The tree doesn't appear to be long enough to cover both lanes. If you look in the lower left corner, you'll see that the foliage and branches appear to end within a meter of the pic.
- Best guess is that the tree fell, blocking the oncoming lane and a bit into his driving lane and he over-reacted, steering left and into a larger portion of the tree. A simple panic-stop, while steering slightly right would either have minimized damage or avoided the crash all together.
The car is damaged and probably not drive-able. The trunk appears to have hit the bumper, under the left headlamp, which is why both lights are still functional. However, the bumper cover and reinforcement look damaged and will need to be replaced. While they aren't visible in the picture, I imagine the driver airbag deployed but it has deflated and isn't in the picture. Unless there was a person or >40 lbs. in the passenger seat, the passenger front airbag wouldn't deploy as it would be disabled.
There doesn't appear to be much override of tree into the undercarriage which means that the car is probably repairable but given its age and mileage, the cost to repair would probably be more than the value of the car. Short-hand: It's totaled.
TBL

Post by TBL »

Gregg wrote: Fri Jun 14, 2019 12:25 pm Image
And, with a second look, you can see hood damage by the left headlight where it impacted the tree trunk. Also, the radiator, radiator support bracket, and hood latch are all needing to be replaced. Given the gap lines where we see the hood meet the fenders, there's definitely a decent amount of structure damage, although I doubt there's any sub-frame damage.

Sorry for the rant, this is kind of a hobby of mine.
TBL

Post by TBL »

Aaand, some moron put in 1K. He hit his goal and a bit more. This is my last post on this directly, but wow, what a bunch of rubes.
Arthur Rubin
Tupa-O-Quatloosia

Post by Arthur Rubin »

Gregg wrote: Sun Jun 16, 2019 6:03 pm And for the life of me I don't and never will understand ''uninsured motorist' coverage.
I think my coverage has
A: Liability
C: Medical (for the car's occupants, regardless of fault)
D/G: Collision/Comprehensive (I don't remember which)
?: Emergency Road Service (which I should cancel, as I have AAA)
R: Rental
U: Covers medical expenses caused by an uninsured motorist (noting that coverage C is regardless of fault)
U1: Covers damage to your property or vehicle caused by an uninsured motorist who is at fault (noting that D and G coverage are regardless of fault, so this only covers the deductible)
Arthur Rubin, unemployed tax preparer and aerospace engineer
ImageJoin the Blue Ribbon Online Free Speech Campaign!

Butterflies are free. T-shirts are $19.95 $24.95 $29.95
TBL

Post by TBL »

Gregg wrote: Sun Jun 16, 2019 6:03 pm And for the life of me I don't and never will understand ''uninsured motorist' coverage. I pay something for it every 6 months but I have never had anyone explain to me why.
As someone living in one of the US cities with the highest rate of uninsured motorists, I can help with this one as I've needed it multiple times.
Uninsured motorist covers the deductible ($1000 in your case) if you have to claim collision and/or medical due to an uninsured motorist being at-fault.

Edit - Or, you know, what Arthur said.
grixit
Recycler of Paytriot Fantasies

Post by grixit »

Arthur Rubin wrote: Mon Jun 17, 2019 2:44 am
?: Emergency Road Service (which I should cancel, as I have AAA)
I had a situation where i was 2 cities over from home and when i started my car to return, i got a horrendous shriek. I called AAA and they sent someone who said there was nothing he could do but tow it. So i faced the prospect of staying in a hotel while waiting for some shop i didn't know to do the repairs. I said no thanks. After he left i called my insurance company. The person they sent said, oh, here's a little trick. He stopped the shriek and i drove home. I was able to take the car to my regular repair place the next day.
Three cheers for the Lesser Evil!

10 . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 2
. . . . . . Dr Pepper
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . .. . . 4
wserra
Quatloosian Federal Witness
Quatloosian Federal Witness

Post by wserra »

grixit wrote: Mon Jun 17, 2019 6:01 amwhen i started my car to return, i got a horrendous shriek . . . here's a little trick.
Xanax in the tank?
"A wise man proportions belief to the evidence."
- David Hume
KickahaOta

Post by KickahaOta »

Gregg wrote: Sun Jun 16, 2019 5:51 pm
Also, for reasons not entirely clear to me, if your glass is damaged, for whatever reason and whether moving or parked, its covered by the comprehensive and usually is exempt from the deductible you pay for all other claims before coverage kicks in. As I said, I carry a $1,000 deductible, which is cheaper and the first $1,000 is an expense I don't mind paying for the discount you get for the higher out of pocket. But I once had a little chip in a windshield that I didn't want to bother to fix and one day it cracked all the way around it in several directions which was another thing altogether. SO I took it to be fixed and figured I was out the $1,000 but found out that Insurance companies pay for glass 100%, which was a nice surprise.
"Insurance companies pay for glass 100%" is not quite true. My current insurance appears to be pretty typical: crack and chip repairs are no charge (and in fact the occasional glass repair company will illegally/unethically give a small kickback to the driver), but full windshield/window replacements have a substantial deductible.
TBL

Post by TBL »

KickahaOta wrote: Wed Jun 19, 2019 12:03 am "Insurance companies pay for glass 100%" is not quite true. My current insurance appears to be pretty typical: crack and chip repairs are no charge (and in fact the occasional glass repair company will illegally/unethically give a small kickback to the driver), but full windshield/window replacements have a substantial deductible.
Not necessarily true. As with many things, this varies by state. I'm in the same boat you are for glass replacement, but in Mississippi, where I have some family, apparently the insurance companies have to cover 100%, no deductible.
notorial dissent
A Balthazar of Quatloosian Truth

Post by notorial dissent »

Mostly it varies by what your actual coverage is, that you pay for. States have a bare minimum requirement that really is absolute bare minimum. Knowing Harvey, if he had insurance at all, he had the absolute cheapest he could get with the absolute minimum of coverage, next to nothing, so calling the insurance company would have been pointless.
The fact that you sincerely and wholeheartedly believe that the “Law of Gravity” is unconstitutional and a violation of your sovereign rights, does not absolve you of adherence to it.
RSVPini
Scalawag
Scalawag

Post by RSVPini »

notorial dissent wrote: Sat Jun 22, 2019 5:03 am Mostly it varies by what your actual coverage is, that you pay for.....
My insurance paid 100% to replace my windshield after a rock cracked it while I was driving on the highway. When I called the insurance company I was referred to a business that came to my house and replaced it. It was great. I don't know what part of my coverage paid for it but was a good deal. (I'm in California)
notorial dissent

Yes, but you're a responsible ADULT, Harvey is anything but.
The fact that you sincerely and wholeheartedly believe that the “Law of Gravity” is unconstitutional and a violation of your sovereign rights, does not absolve you of adherence to it.
ArthurWankspittle
Slavering Minister of Auto-erotic Insinuation

Post by ArthurWankspittle »

No sniggering at the back please - Harvey "tosses salads for BJs".
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c5NUNyh ... jreload=10
(NSFW because of naughty words)
The biggest shock to me is that Harvey has a job.
"There is something about true madness that goes beyond mere eccentricity." Will Self
RSVPini
Scalawag
Scalawag

Post by RSVPini »

RSVPini wrote: Sat Jun 15, 2019 3:00 am I don't understand why Harvey doesn't use his secret TDA account to buy a new car or attempt A4V again. (I can no longer find that A4V video - a classic Dent production where the cops are called and remove him from the car dealership)
I just found a copy of that video here.
notorial dissent

I think most if not all of Harvey's greatest hits are still out there, his ego wouldn't let them not be.
Gregg
Conde de Quatloo

Post by Gregg »

ArthurWankspittle wrote: Fri Jul 12, 2019 5:21 pm No sniggering at the back please - Harvey "tosses salads for BJs".
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c5NUNyh ... jreload=10
(NSFW because of naughty words)
The biggest shock to me is that Harvey has a job.
The biggest shock to me is that you think he has a job just because he says he's late for work. He could be lying.
Supreme Commander of The Imperial Illuminati Air Force
Your concern is duly noted, filed, folded, stamped, sealed with wax and affixed with a thumbprint in red ink, forgotten, recalled, considered, reconsidered, appealed, denied and quietly ignored.