Robert Myers - Attorney Flirting With Sovrunhood

Moderators: Prof, Judge Roy Bean

User avatar
The Observer
Further Moderator
Posts: 6591
Joined: Fri Feb 07, 2003 12:48 am
Location: Virgin Islands Gunsmith

Robert Myers - Attorney Flirting With Sovrunhood

Postby The Observer » Thu Aug 03, 2017 2:53 am

It's time to head back to the heart of Frickintardistan to discuss the political endeavors of one Robert Meyers of Hamilton, MT. Myers came to my attention by way of the Bitterroot Star, a weekly newspaper covering the valley of the Bitterroot River. Before we get into the heart of Myers' intrepid - and libelous - campaign for district judge in Ravalli County, I should point out that Myers is not your average Montanan backwoods wild-eyed sovrun like Ernie Tertelgte. Myers is actually a practicing attorney, with a wife and children. His wife is a physician. Some recent cases involved him representing a planning commissioner who got into hot water after making derogatory comments about local Native American tribes and a city treasurer under investigation due to embezzlement accusations. But it is never fair to equate the lawyer with the clientele that he deals with. So let's explore what Myers has done to earn him a chapter here on Quatloos.

You may think the motivation for Meyers to run for justice of the 21st Judicial District was just to spread his legal wings. Well, you would be wrong. There was more reason than just political desire or a plan to expand his legal career. It appears that Meyers ran due to a long vendetta he has been waging with the current judge, Jeffrey Langton. From other sources that I have read (and you can find them quickly on Google), Meyers was representing a man, Brian Cox, in Langton's courtroom in a child custody case in 2012. The case must have been contentious, as these types of cases can be, since Myers suddenly decided that Langton had committed a wrongful ex parte communication by instructing his legal assistant to tell the wife of Brian Cox to file an amended parent plan. It appears that Myers made this accusation as an attempt to re-start the trial since Myers lost a previous appeal to file an opening brief at the beginning of the trial for which he had missed the deadline, and the Montana State Supreme Court refused to give him a second chance. Meyers claimed he was aware of the ex parte communication because he saw the file notes. When asked for proof of this, he was not able to produce them; apparently a file clerk had removed the notes from the case files. Most people would realize that they had made a strategic error in not copying or securing such evidence first, but this did not faze Myers, he went ahead and filed a motion for Langton to recuse himself from hearing the case.

Not surprisingly, Langton refused to recuse himself and this is where things started to get out of hand and larger than life. Myers pursued legal action all the way to the Montana State Supreme Court. The justices there did not see a problem with the way Judge Langton was running his court room and sent Myers away. In 2013 Myers, who apparently cannot take "no" for an answer, filed a complaint with the Montana Judicial Standards Commission. They too did not find any reason to rule against Langton, and told Meyers to take a hike. But Myers still could not accept defeat and started action to subpoena and secure a deposition from Langton in relation to a Rule 60 motion hearing. At this point Langton must have been feeling on pretty solid legal ground and stomped all over Myers by quashing the deposition and then, to add insult to injury, hitting Myers with a $10,000 sanction in 2014. And what kind of things did Langton find fault with Myers' action? How about these?:

• that Myers had failed to adequately review the record in the case, and had failed to make any inquiry to determine whether his factual contentions in his Rule 60 Motion and supporting briefs had even a minimum of evidentiary support;
• that Myers’ intransigence in maintaining his assertion of factual contentions in the absence of evidentiary support and, in some instances, despite evidence in the record to the contrary, was highly troubling;
• that Myers had squandered Daniel Cox’s right of direct appeal by failing to timely file an opening brief;
• that Myers had squandered Daniel’s right of review on claims of surprise and fraud by his failure to timely file the Rule 60 Motion.
• that because Myers failed to research the majority of his legal contentions, they were not supported by developed argument or legal authority, and in the rare instances when he attempted to develop argument, it was largely incomprehensible;
• that Myers failed to make good faith legal arguments for the majority of his asserted legal contentions;
• that Myers used highly inflammatory language to make baseless accusations of conspiracy, fraud, bias, unethical behavior, and illegal acts against numerous people, including Judge Langton himself;
• that Myers’ conduct in using such highly inflammatory language far exceeded the exercise of mere hyperbole or excited overstatement;
• that Myers’ Rule 60 Motion filings were presented for the improper purpose of harassing the adverse party, her attorneys, her witnesses, and the Court and its staff, which caused unnecessary delay and needlessly increased the cost of litigation and the expenditure of judicial resources;
• that Myers had done more than just play fast and loose with the facts as he created extraordinary facts out of whole cloth for which he might later find evidentiary support;
• that Myers had no compunction about making legal contentions he could not support with legal authorities or developed argument;
• that Myers had asserted baseless factual contentions impugning the District Court’s integrity with reckless disregard for their truth or falsity;
• that Myers’ baseless assertions against adverse counsel had called into question their ethics and may have damaged their professional reputations.


This is the kind of thing that makes Burnaby's descriptions of the horrors of Canadian jurisprudence pale in comparison. Who knew that small-town justice could be so vengeful, so precise and so factual?

But for Meyers, this was the last arrow in his legal quiver and he seemingly brooded for the next two years, awaiting his moment of revenge. And in 2016 he saw his opportunity: by running against Langton for his judgeship.

And given the repute of small town politics, this turned out to be a nasty one. You can see a sample of the strategy that Myers decided on to win by his campaign's Facebook page. Ugly indeed! He threw several underhanded jabs at Langton, including calling him incompetent and an idiot. He also smeared him as "Liquor Langton", apparently due to the judge having a problem with alcohol in his past (but was already known as a matter of public record, this is a drunk-driving conviction from 2005; the judge was re-elected in 2010 so I think it is safe to say that the public found no problem with the judge remaining on the bench). Myers ran radio and newspaper ads using the derogatory name, and accused Langton of using hard drugs as well. Myers provided no proof other than just anecdotal hearsay from anonymous people. He also brought up the unproven ex parte accusation, saying the judge had "committed fraud on the court." The ad also mentioned that
...[n]ot only did Jeff Langton not allow a neutral judge to look at his conduct, but he stopped all witnesses, including himself, from being questioned. He, of course, found himself innocent without a hearing. No judge should judge his own conduct.


Oh, and before I forget, the painful accusation that the good judge was purchasing methamphetamine from a 13-year old. This accusation appears to be problematic, in that the 13-year old is now an adult, and has been before Judge Langton for juvenile and adult criminal proceedings, including violation of probation and a year's sentence in state prison - if you can believe this witness' affadavit.

Unfortunately Myers had stepped across the line. Well, not stepped so much as he had broad-jumped over it. Montana state law forbids campaigns making accusations against judges that the state would consider false or untrue. And that triggered a letter from the state's Office of Disciplinary Counsel advising Myers that they were opening an investigation. And they wanted Myers to provide copies of "all television or radio advertisements, with written transcripts, aired by your campaign," "invoices and publishing contracts related to all advertising materials, including the publishing dates and frequency of all materials" and "any internet/social network posting by yourself, your campaign, or affiliated campaign committees/groups." It certainly looked like Myers had overplayed his hand and had landed himself neck-deep into the hole he had been digging.

But Myers is, if nothing else, adamant about his principles. OK, let's just admit it - he is pig-headed stubborn. He filed a federal complaint against the counsel employees on the disciplinary board. His own attorney, taking a page from Myers' legal pad, tried to blame the monopoly of liberal office holders in the state for the reason why Myers' complaint is not being heard or acted on. But given the fact that federal and state offices are pretty evenly divided between Democrats and Republicans, it is hard to take this as a serious reason for why Myers cannot make headway and receive justice.

At this point, I need to address those readers, like Burnaby, who are likely to be screaming at their monitors, "What does this have to do with sovrun gibberish?! Granted, he is a idiot attorney, Observer, but that does not make him a sovrun flake!" Ah, if the story ended here, you would be right. But this where the story starts twisting towards the bare and dusty vales of Frickintardistan.

In any event, the disciplinary hearings were able to get past his federal lawsuit; the board has held 3 separate hearings over the last few weeks. Myers failed to show to the first one. It was a tactical mistake on Myers' part and Judge Langton and his law clerk took full advantage of it to get in their own overdue licks against Myers. Langton's law clerk gave some devastating testimony at the first hearing when she told the panel that Myers suffered from illiteracy. In regards to his filing of his briefs with her she said:

[It was]...very difficult to discern what Myers wanted. I have never read a poorer briefing. His arguments were incomprehensible, his work was poor, full of misspellings and incomplete sentences that made no point.


But to be charitable, we could assume that a experienced law clerk that has worked long-term with Judge Langton might be a bit prejudiced against the legal filings that Myers filed, let alone whether any law clerk has the right and experience to judge a lawyer's ability to write. But the state deputy disciplinary attorney, one Jon Moog, weighed in against the quality of Myers' work by stating he found the claims that Myers was making were outlandish, offensive, frivolous, and defamatory. So right there we have two badges of sovrunness: high-handed, frivolous accusations, and all of them worded, spelled and organized badly. But I know that our panel of readers demand more proof than just these two indicators. After all, here on Quatloos we demand proof that removes all reasonable doubt for a solid conviction. So I will continue.

Despite the alleged gigantic conspiracy that banded against Myers, someone, against all better judgment, actually allowed Myers a chance to respond in the 2 succeeding hearings. And Myers showed that he was not some craven coward, fearful and hoping to mitigate the legal storm clouds gathering over his head. He told the hearing exactly what was on his mind and why he was right:

“I stand by what I put in the ad, I have a First Amendment right to say it. I don’t care what the Supreme Court of Montana says, I certainly don’t care what Judge Langton says. I move to dismiss this and we get back to being Americans."


He also said the State Supreme Court should be ashamed for supporting all of the unconstitutional laws that are being used against him. This is pretty tremendous stuff! A lawyer actually telling the world that the State Supreme Court doesn't matter! Like they would understand the finer points of the 1st Amendment or whether laws are constitutional. I am not sure how the Supreme Court took this, but apparently it must have stunned them since there is no record of any of the justices responding to this claptrap. I even wonder if Judge Rooke, of Canadian stomping fame, could have contended with this new tactic. Imagine how you would feel as a judge if suddenly you just found out that all of your rulings could be simply ignored? You might as well step down from the bench.

Of course, I am forced out of intellectual honesty to point out that Meyers evidently believes that the Court must matter, since he has filed in the recent past several appeals with them. Why bother filing appeals with a body of justices that you claim are just on the take and are idiots anyways? There is the issue of us getting back to being Americans, which I theoretically agree with, but I doubt my definition (and most other people's) of what being an American actually is will match Myers' definition - which appears to be having the right to make a mockery out of the judicial process. Still not enough proof? No problem, I have more.

Myers then informed the hearing that he considers himself a "private Attorney General" and as such, refused to answer a number of questions in the hearing claiming his 5th amendment privilege. Furthermore, since all of his witnesses are tied up in the criminal case that Langton has filed against him they were not at liberty to appear at the hearing in his defense. At this point he was asked why hadn't he filed criminal charges against Langton if his case was as strong and accurate as he maintained it was. Myers then responded with the classic demurral that he wasn't ready yet, and that "This is just the tip of the iceberg." Uh, right Robert - but excuse me if I don't hold my breath while waiting.

At this point, it looks bad for Myers. He is facing suspension of his license of up to 2 years and 3 months based on the number of charges raised against him, and disbarment. This is for the antics arising out of the child custody case and for the ad violations in the political campaign. He will get a right to appeal within 30 days of the board's recommendation. By the way, that recommendation heads to the Montana State Supreme Court for their final determination. I am sure by that point Myers is going to rue making an officially recorded statement in a public hearing that he doesn't care what the State Supreme Court says - because I am pretty sure that day they will be telling him that they don't care what he said in his appeal.
"I could be dead wrong on this" - Irwin Schiff

"Do you realize I may even be delusional with respect to my income tax beliefs? " - Irwin Schiff

Burnaby49
Quatloosian Ambassador to the CaliCanadians
Quatloosian Ambassador to the CaliCanadians
Posts: 5641
Joined: Thu Oct 27, 2011 3:45 am
Location: The Evergreen Playground

Re: Robert Myers - Attorney Flirting With Sovrunhood

Postby Burnaby49 » Thu Aug 03, 2017 4:05 am

At this point, I need to address those readers, like Burnaby, who are likely to be screaming at their monitors, "What does this have to do with sovrun gibberish?! Granted, he is a idiot attorney, Observer, but that does not make him a sovrun flake!" Ah, if the story ended here, you would be right. But this where the story starts twisting towards the bare and dusty vales of Frickintardistan.


Not at all, not at all. I'm notorious, sometimes chastized, for my propensity to drift off topic, often never to return, at any mention of pubs or the libations they serve. So I patiently waited for you to get to the end of your background history and get down to the issue at hand. It was like reading a New Yorker article where you are asking yourself, after the fourth page, what happened to the topic the article is nominally about. Then you find it showing up on page six. Background is often critical.

To some extent he reminds me of Glenn Bogue and his aboriginal obsession although the Upper Canada Bar Association was a lot quicker to stop Glenn than Myer's bar association seems to be with him. That sanction should have had him suspended from practice. Better late than never I suppose. Right until his suspension Glenn made no concessions to precedence, actual law, or any rational sense in his legal positions. No matter how many times he lost an issue he'd be back with exactly the same incomprehensible arguments. But at least he was doing it for what he thought the best interests of his clients rather than personal vidictiveness.

I'm sure Judge Rooke has a lot of experience in being ignored. It is a standard belief amongst our freeman subset that Meads v Meads is not a legally valid decision and can be safely flouted. They find out otherwise when it is used against them in court.
"Yes Burnaby49, I do in fact believe all process servers are peace officers. I've good reason to believe so." Robert Menard in his May 28, 2015 video "Process Servers".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XeI-J2PhdGs

User avatar
notorial dissent
A Balthazar of Quatloosian Truth
Posts: 10646
Joined: Mon Jul 04, 2005 8:17 pm

Re: Robert Myers - Attorney Flirting With Sovrunhood

Postby notorial dissent » Thu Aug 03, 2017 4:57 am

Oh. My. Small town politics at its ???????
If it didn't all sound so familiar I might not have believed you. :snicker: The only point that brought me up short was liberals in MT, who knew??? :snicker:
The fact that you sincerely and wholeheartedly believe that the “Law of Gravity” is unconstitutional and a violation of your sovereign rights, does not absolve you of adherence to it.

Burnaby49
Quatloosian Ambassador to the CaliCanadians
Quatloosian Ambassador to the CaliCanadians
Posts: 5641
Joined: Thu Oct 27, 2011 3:45 am
Location: The Evergreen Playground

Re: Robert Myers - Attorney Flirting With Sovrunhood

Postby Burnaby49 » Thu Aug 03, 2017 5:12 am

I'm guessing more libertarian than liberal.
"Yes Burnaby49, I do in fact believe all process servers are peace officers. I've good reason to believe so." Robert Menard in his May 28, 2015 video "Process Servers".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XeI-J2PhdGs

User avatar
The Observer
Further Moderator
Posts: 6591
Joined: Fri Feb 07, 2003 12:48 am
Location: Virgin Islands Gunsmith

Re: Robert Myers - Attorney Flirting With Sovrunhood

Postby The Observer » Thu Aug 03, 2017 5:22 am

No, there are quite a few Democrats in Montana, but they tend to gather in the bigger towns, like Missoula, that are university and college towns. The current governor of Montana is a Democrat and won a close victory over his Republican opponent, Greg Gianforte, who if you remember, won election to the House of Representatives by assaulting a reporter in his campaign headquarters.

I forgot to mention a relevant part of the Myers story - the election results of his campaign! Despite the no-taste ads and the vicious mudslinging, Langton thoroughly stomped Meyers by nearly a 2-1 margin, 12,000 to 7,500 votes. If nothing else, Myers did get people to turn out for the election when you consider the population of Ravalli County is only about 41,000 people.
"I could be dead wrong on this" - Irwin Schiff

"Do you realize I may even be delusional with respect to my income tax beliefs? " - Irwin Schiff

User avatar
notorial dissent
A Balthazar of Quatloosian Truth
Posts: 10646
Joined: Mon Jul 04, 2005 8:17 pm

Re: Robert Myers - Attorney Flirting With Sovrunhood

Postby notorial dissent » Thu Aug 03, 2017 10:48 pm

Burnaby49 wrote:I'm guessing more libertarian than liberal.

I'm quite sure he meant Liberal, but even so while I know there are Democrats in MT, I in fact even know a few, they are hardly what I would call "liberal", generally very conservative, just not in the way the local GOP is. That aside, it still sounds altogether like small town politics, down to the vote count. I can remember some very acrimonious elections that ran pretty much along the same lines as this one.
The fact that you sincerely and wholeheartedly believe that the “Law of Gravity” is unconstitutional and a violation of your sovereign rights, does not absolve you of adherence to it.

User avatar
The Observer
Further Moderator
Posts: 6591
Joined: Fri Feb 07, 2003 12:48 am
Location: Virgin Islands Gunsmith

Re: Robert Myers - Attorney Flirting With Sovrunhood

Postby The Observer » Thu Sep 28, 2017 3:27 am

A couple of updates on our Montanan attorney dalliance with being a sovrun fool:

(1) In the opening of this thread I had mentioned that Meyers had filed a complaint against the state election board investigating him. It turns out it was actually a suit that he filed in federal court in an attempt to overturn the state's defamation law that he is being investigated under. Of course, his reason is that the law is unconstitutional on the basis that it restricts candidates from criticizing their opponents. It's a good strategic move in that, if he wins, he has torpedoed the entire basis of any disbarment recommendation for his lowbrow campaign tactics. Sadly, Meyer's definition of "criticism" conflicts with the dictionary definitions of "libel", "slander", "baseless" and "lies", which is a rather huge hurdle to overcome in front of your average magistrate. And Judge Donald Molloy apparently agreed with the latter definitions as he handed down a summary judgement for the state on September 15th. No mention if Myers and/or his attorney are still carping about the federal judicial district covering Montana being stacked with wild-eyed, joint-puffing, commie liberals just waiting for the chance to take Meyers down.

(2) When it rains, it pours - especially in Montana, and even more when you have barely picked yourself up off the ground after getting hammered for idiocy. Last Friday, the state commission overseeing legal practice announced that they would be recommending the disbarment of Myers, no doubt encouraged and emboldened by the kangaroo court of Judge Molloy. The recommendation has been forwarded to the Montana Supreme Court for their final decision. Since Myers has already bravely, if stupidly, outed that judicial body as being ignorant and crooked, no one, including Wes with his best Inspector Renault impersonation, should be shocked at the outcome. No anticipated date has been announced for that decision.

This disbarment recommendation is for the campaign antics, not for the legal circus that Myers produced in Judge Langton's court. The recommendation for that issue had been a proposed suspension of his law license (along with additional time for the sleazy campaign), which appears also to have been forwarded to - you guessed it - the Montana Supreme Court. Apparently, the Court was smart in making sure that they get to have the last word on sovrun dumbass attorneys.

ETA: Edited to remove typos, double words and words I never intended to be there in the first place.
"I could be dead wrong on this" - Irwin Schiff

"Do you realize I may even be delusional with respect to my income tax beliefs? " - Irwin Schiff

User avatar
notorial dissent
A Balthazar of Quatloosian Truth
Posts: 10646
Joined: Mon Jul 04, 2005 8:17 pm

Re: Robert Myers - Attorney Flirting With Sovrunhood

Postby notorial dissent » Thu Sep 28, 2017 3:46 am

Somehow, I just find the description of the "federal judicial district covering Montana being stacked with with wild-eyed, joint-puffing, commie liberals" just too funny for words. That just boggles the imagination. I do think that if anyone has been puffing on the magic weed, it is more likely to be Myers, or whatever his poison of choice is.
The fact that you sincerely and wholeheartedly believe that the “Law of Gravity” is unconstitutional and a violation of your sovereign rights, does not absolve you of adherence to it.

User avatar
The Observer
Further Moderator
Posts: 6591
Joined: Fri Feb 07, 2003 12:48 am
Location: Virgin Islands Gunsmith

Re: Robert Myers - Attorney Flirting With Sovrunhood

Postby The Observer » Thu Sep 28, 2017 4:13 am

Well, not to put too fine a point on it, but I did take some artistic license in coming up with that description as a method of getting inside of Meyer's head.
"I could be dead wrong on this" - Irwin Schiff

"Do you realize I may even be delusional with respect to my income tax beliefs? " - Irwin Schiff

User avatar
notorial dissent
A Balthazar of Quatloosian Truth
Posts: 10646
Joined: Mon Jul 04, 2005 8:17 pm

Re: Robert Myers - Attorney Flirting With Sovrunhood

Postby notorial dissent » Thu Sep 28, 2017 6:45 am

Not much license I don't think, from what I've seen and read here and elsewhere, he sounds like a real nasty piece of work in general, with some serious paranoia issues in particular. I can't imagine that there will be much dissension at his imminent disbarment.
The fact that you sincerely and wholeheartedly believe that the “Law of Gravity” is unconstitutional and a violation of your sovereign rights, does not absolve you of adherence to it.

TheNewSaint
Admiral of the Quatloosian Seas
Admiral of the Quatloosian Seas
Posts: 1035
Joined: Sun Mar 27, 2016 10:35 am

Re: Robert Myers - Attorney Flirting With Sovrunhood

Postby TheNewSaint » Thu Sep 28, 2017 3:11 pm

The Observer wrote:Well, not to put too fine a point on it, but I did take some artistic license in coming up with that description as a method of getting inside of Meyer's head.


It works perfectly.

Remote places like rural Montana breed a certain type of paranoiac; one who sees massive conspiracies in the most innocuous places. (All against them, of course.)

I spent a short time in Alaska with a guy who told me, with complete seriousness, that the Girl Scouts were spying on him. He called the local business body the "Chamber of Communism." And so forth. In a bush town of 2000 people.

Like I said, I didn't stay long.

User avatar
The Observer
Further Moderator
Posts: 6591
Joined: Fri Feb 07, 2003 12:48 am
Location: Virgin Islands Gunsmith

Re: Robert Myers - Attorney Flirting With Sovrunhood

Postby The Observer » Thu Sep 28, 2017 3:44 pm

TheNewSaint wrote:Remote places like rural Montana breed a certain type of paranoiac; one who sees massive conspiracies in the most innocuous places. (All against them, of course.)


I have a relative in Montana; they believe in the jet chemtrail conspiracy, and do so in all due seriousness. They are a decent person, good sense of humor, productive and self-sufficient. But they want to hold onto this whacko belief. However, they relocated there from a Left Coast state, so maybe there is something in the water they ingested there rather than being a victim of Montana geography.
"I could be dead wrong on this" - Irwin Schiff

"Do you realize I may even be delusional with respect to my income tax beliefs? " - Irwin Schiff

Judge Roy Bean
Judge for the District of Quatloosia
Judge for the District of Quatloosia
Posts: 3529
Joined: Tue May 17, 2005 7:04 pm
Location: West of the Pecos
Contact:

Re: Robert Myers - Attorney Flirting With Sovrunhood

Postby Judge Roy Bean » Thu Sep 28, 2017 7:39 pm

The Observer wrote:
I have a relative in Montana; they believe in the jet chemtrail conspiracy, and do so in all due seriousness. They are a decent person, good sense of humor, productive and self-sufficient. But they want to hold onto this whacko belief. However, they relocated there from a Left Coast state, so maybe there is something in the water they ingested there rather than being a victim of Montana geography.


The spouse of one of my relatives is seriously into the chemtrails lunacy. I have explained to him a couple of times the physics and fuel science associated with turbofan/jet aircraft to no avail. He's not a sovrun-type, he's simply so distrustful of government that he'll believe far too much of what he finds on the internet. He also contends that Snopes is a Homeland Security-directed operation on many subjects relating to things like Chemtrails, Area 51, etc.

We've discussed "magical thinking" many times on this forum, and I don't see any diminution of it among the general populace of the ignorant.
The Honorable Judge Roy Bean
The world is a car and you're a crash-test dummy.
The Devil Makes Three

TheNewSaint
Admiral of the Quatloosian Seas
Admiral of the Quatloosian Seas
Posts: 1035
Joined: Sun Mar 27, 2016 10:35 am

Re: Robert Myers - Attorney Flirting With Sovrunhood

Postby TheNewSaint » Thu Sep 28, 2017 11:13 pm

I think narcissism is also a huge factor. It's an ego trip to know things that other people don't. It's an ego trip to think important people are paying attention to your every move. It's an ego trip to send threatening letters.

User avatar
The Observer
Further Moderator
Posts: 6591
Joined: Fri Feb 07, 2003 12:48 am
Location: Virgin Islands Gunsmith

Re: Robert Myers - Attorney Flirting With Sovrunhood

Postby The Observer » Thu Sep 28, 2017 11:45 pm

Judge Roy Bean wrote:He's not a sovrun-type,...


Neither is my relative, although he is farther to the right than me. But he is not college-educated and his background is construction and has a general contractor's license. He is suspicious of government in general, except when it comes to local police - he is a big supporter there.
"I could be dead wrong on this" - Irwin Schiff

"Do you realize I may even be delusional with respect to my income tax beliefs? " - Irwin Schiff

User avatar
notorial dissent
A Balthazar of Quatloosian Truth
Posts: 10646
Joined: Mon Jul 04, 2005 8:17 pm

Re: Robert Myers - Attorney Flirting With Sovrunhood

Postby notorial dissent » Fri Sep 29, 2017 1:02 am

Sovrunidiocy and crazy don't necessarily go hand in hand, but there is a very large congruence of the two in the general population.
The fact that you sincerely and wholeheartedly believe that the “Law of Gravity” is unconstitutional and a violation of your sovereign rights, does not absolve you of adherence to it.

User avatar
The Observer
Further Moderator
Posts: 6591
Joined: Fri Feb 07, 2003 12:48 am
Location: Virgin Islands Gunsmith

Re: Robert Myers - Attorney Flirting With Sovrunhood

Postby The Observer » Fri Sep 29, 2017 3:08 am

notorial dissent wrote:Sovrunidiocy and crazy don't necessarily go hand in hand, but there is a very large congruence of the two in the general population.


Nor do those two go with naivete or just accepting what you are being told. I think there are plenty of reasons for why people get attracted to something within FOTL or sovrun philosophy. Equally perturbing are the attempts of the anti-FOTLers' who immediately want to just lump any and all into being Nazis or KKK, regardless of the particular individual being discussed. In that the vein, the "anti" crowd is applying the same kind of monolithic stereotyping they condemn sovruns and FOTLers for doing.
"I could be dead wrong on this" - Irwin Schiff

"Do you realize I may even be delusional with respect to my income tax beliefs? " - Irwin Schiff

User avatar
notorial dissent
A Balthazar of Quatloosian Truth
Posts: 10646
Joined: Mon Jul 04, 2005 8:17 pm

Re: Robert Myers - Attorney Flirting With Sovrunhood

Postby notorial dissent » Fri Sep 29, 2017 4:43 am

Quite true. I've known any number of truly stupid and naive people in my life, but most of the ones who fall in to the sovrunidjit/whackadooster crowd are there because they want to be and what they believe resonates with them for some reason, which I thankfully have NEVER gotten a handle on. I think the last part applies to a lot of people in that group.
The fact that you sincerely and wholeheartedly believe that the “Law of Gravity” is unconstitutional and a violation of your sovereign rights, does not absolve you of adherence to it.

User avatar
The Observer
Further Moderator
Posts: 6591
Joined: Fri Feb 07, 2003 12:48 am
Location: Virgin Islands Gunsmith

Re: Robert Myers - Attorney Flirting With Sovrunhood

Postby The Observer » Fri Sep 29, 2017 4:55 am

And I think Myers falls into that category. There is nothing to suggest that he is a closet Nazi or is forming a KKK chapter in his hometown. But there is a lot to suggest that he lacks a great deal of common sense. And perhaps some intelligence. The question that keeps coming back to me is how was he able to get through 4 years of college and 2-3 years of law school and pass the bar (assuming he took the typical route to lawyerhood) if he acts this stupid? The fact that he seems to have a challenge in constructing simple, comprehensible sentences for court briefs would suggest that there is a problem somewhere.

We have the common example of sovruns taking a debt problem and creating a bigger pile of debt than when they started. But Myers has taken a professional career and flushed it down the toilet. I'm not sure where he goes from here. He apparently had his own practice; I doubt any PC or partnership would have tolerated him being on their letterhead. Its a good thing that his wife still has a career that will put food on the table and a roof over his head. But that is presuming he can hold on to her.
"I could be dead wrong on this" - Irwin Schiff

"Do you realize I may even be delusional with respect to my income tax beliefs? " - Irwin Schiff

User avatar
notorial dissent
A Balthazar of Quatloosian Truth
Posts: 10646
Joined: Mon Jul 04, 2005 8:17 pm

Re: Robert Myers - Attorney Flirting With Sovrunhood

Postby notorial dissent » Fri Sep 29, 2017 6:20 am

My take is that this is a case of small town politics and failed political ambition. The questions I have no answer for would be what kind of lawyer was he to begin with, and more importantly what kind of a person he was. My experience with small towns and small town politics says that he wasn't a particularly pleasant or likable person, and based on his legal efforts I would say a not very good lawyer either. As I recall he ran for and lost rather decidedly at public office, and I think that was the final straw that snapped his slim grasp on reality.

The fact that you sincerely and wholeheartedly believe that the “Law of Gravity” is unconstitutional and a violation of your sovereign rights, does not absolve you of adherence to it.


Return to “US”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests