Robert Myers - Attorney Flirting With Sovrunhood

Moderators: Prof, Judge Roy Bean

The Observer
Further Moderator

Re: Robert Myers - Attorney Flirting With Sovrunhood

Post by The Observer »

I see the point you are making with this, in that perhaps Myer's practice was a dead-end anyways, given his lack of ability and competence and he knew it. Thus was the reason for him running for judge. If elected, he would have a perfectly good reason to explain why he closed his practice and avoid the embarrassment of having to explain that he wasn't making any money at being a small-town lawyer.

It may have been a part of his motivation to run against Langton. But I suspect Myer's anger at being foiled and embarrassed in Langton's court due to his own mistakes in representing his client was the prime reason. The vitriol and lying was so over the top, even for small-town races, that even the state had to get involved.

I may spend some more time digging into the two cases I know about where Myers represented the county official and the city treasurer to see if anything else sticks out in regards to his professional ethics and behavior.
"I could be dead wrong on this" - Irwin Schiff

"Do you realize I may even be delusional with respect to my income tax beliefs? " - Irwin Schiff
wserra
Quatloosian Federal Witness
Quatloosian Federal Witness

Post by wserra »

The Observer wrote:The vitriol and lying was so over the top, even for small-town races, that even the state had to get involved.
But, since vitriol and lying can be amusing (unless, of course, it comes from . . . no, that would be politics), I present for your reading pleasure the complaint of the MT Disciplinary Counsel with verbatim accounts of the offending radio ads.
"A wise man proportions belief to the evidence."
- David Hume
Siegfried Shrink
Admiral of the Quatloosian Seas

Post by Siegfried Shrink »

I wonder if the allegations were true? If so it seems some judges have a real fun time on and off the bench.

I'd have thought that if the allegations were even remotely true, a quiet investigation and a report would have been more appropriate. But we don't do rootin' tootin' , die with your boots on stuff round here much. The wild west sounds different.
Judge Roy Bean
Judge for the District of Quatloosia
Judge for the District of Quatloosia

Post by Judge Roy Bean »

Siegfried Shrink wrote:I wonder if the allegations were true? If so it seems some judges have a real fun time on and off the bench.

I'd have thought that if the allegations were even remotely true, a quiet investigation and a report would have been more appropriate. But we don't do rootin' tootin' , die with your boots on stuff round here much. The wild west sounds different.
Oh, it is! :Axe:
The Honorable Judge Roy Bean
The world is a car and you're a crash-test dummy.
The Devil Makes Three
notorial dissent
A Balthazar of Quatloosian Truth

Post by notorial dissent »

Siegfried Shrink wrote:I wonder if the allegations were true? If so it seems some judges have a real fun time on and off the bench.

What you say has the ring of possible truth, but for a couple of things.

This is true small town politics, and the position of judge is, or at least is perceived to be, a very important one in those circumstances. The judge is an IMPORTANT man. Now here we have an attorney slinging a fair amount of mud at a judge, over what is most likely the result of said judge having shut him down in court for what amounts to incompetence. In as much as that is part of what judges do that is no surprise. The other factor here is that the attorney cannot tolerate that and wants to be the IMPORTANT MAN and so runs for judge, he'll show that so and so, and in the process, runs a real nasty campaign, and spectacularly loses. Now whether he lost because of the campaign, or because he is not a nice well liked person is only a guess. My sense is that rather than being a futile run against corruption, this was a battle of ego with the attorney wanting to prove how important he was, and failing miserably, and the locals don't like him and didn't want him as a judge.
The fact that you sincerely and wholeheartedly believe that the “Law of Gravity” is unconstitutional and a violation of your sovereign rights, does not absolve you of adherence to it.
The Observer
Further Moderator

Post by The Observer »

Thanks for securing the complaint, Wes. It pretty much lays it out as the various articles I had read did regarding the campaign.

I do note that that one of the campaign mailers is quoted as saying "If true,..." in regards to the so-called confession of Heather Portner. This kind of statement certainly indicates that Myers knew that whatever he was printing was not proof and therefore not something that should have been part of any campaign. The fact that within two paragraphs Meyers contradicts this by claiming that this "confession" adds credibility to the accusations against Langton. How can something that he admits he cannot prove can be credible?

The other thing worth noting is that the ads and mailers show a certain lack of polish, editing, and proofing. It also suggests that Myers may indeed have problems with being able to write clearly and effectively.

In an Internet article from the Bitterroot Star (which is being sued by Valerie Stamey, the former treasurer for Ravalli County, for libel and ironically represented by Myers in this suit) of last year, there is an online comment from a reader:
I cringe each time I read about Rob Myers referring to his “integrity” in recent articles. In addition to professional misconduct, he should have, and almost was, charged with some personal misconduct in 2014 for the way my daughter was treated as his nanny. At age 19, the experience ended in angst and trauma for her, and he crossed major boundaries along the way. I could not have been more disgusted and disturbed by the personal information he shared with her, making her very uncomfortable. The whole situation was awful and we took it to an attorney to file a suit but, in the end, my daughter just couldn’t handle any more interaction with Rob. In my opinion, this man is the last person who should be presiding over any court cases anywhere.
Again, nothing to prove that Rob Meyers is a creepy predator, but if this online comment was true...well, we won't go any farther - until someone decides to run against Myers for public office in the future and resurrects this story.

I am going to spend some time on the Valerie Stamey story and see what comes of it in regards to Myers' actions and behavior.

"Do you realize I may even be delusional with respect to my income tax beliefs? " - Irwin Schiff
notorial dissent

Sounds/smells a whole lot like small town politics to me.
The fact that you sincerely and wholeheartedly believe that the “Law of Gravity” is unconstitutional and a violation of your sovereign rights, does not absolve you of adherence to it.
Dr. Caligari
J.D., Miskatonic University School of Crickets

Post by Dr. Caligari »

This is an interesting case (in the sense that watching a gory car wreck is "interesting"), but I don't see anything particularly sovereign-ish about it. The California Bar's disciplinary reports are full of lawyers who fought bar disciplinary proceedings by suing the Bar and the courts, or who were originally disciplined for suing the judge and opposing lawyer in their divorce or traffic case. If he's not talking about gold-fringed flags or not being a federal-state citizen or something like that, he's just a nut-job lawyer, IMHO, rather than a sovereign. YMMV.
Dr. Caligari
(Du musst Caligari werden!)
The Observer
Further Moderator

Post by The Observer »

Dr. Caligari wrote:This is an interesting case (in the sense that watching a gory car wreck is "interesting"), but I don't see anything particularly sovereign-ish about it. The California Bar's disciplinary reports are full of lawyers who fought bar disciplinary proceedings by suing the Bar and the courts, or who were originally disciplined for suing the judge and opposing lawyer in their divorce or traffic case. If he's not talking about gold-fringed flags or not being a federal-state citizen or something like that, he's just a nut-job lawyer, IMHO, rather than a sovereign. YMMV.
He did claim to be a "Private Attorney General" which is why I set it off as heading down Sovrun Road. Given the fact that he is pursuing a lot of frivolous claims/complaints as well, I suspect somewhere along the line, he has come in contact with sovrun literature or theories and is starting to dabble in them. As I said earlier, if those two factors hadn't come into play, then I would agree he was nothing more than a nut-job pretending to be an attorney.

notorial dissent

The PAG is the clencher, and all the rest is just added bits of color.
The Observer
Further Moderator

Post by The Observer »

Somehow this dropped off my watch list, and I only started wondering what was the result of the pending actions against Myers today. Of course this is about 2 months short of 3 years after the results were publicized, but better late than never. Or as Burnaby has often told me, "Close enough for government work."

Of course, no one will be surprised to hear that Myers was disbarred and his law license suspended for his one-man vendetta against a local judge that culminated in a libel-racked election campaign to unseat said judge. You can read about the state Supreme Court's decision here.

Naturally, Myers did not see this as the end of the matter and stated he would be filing a petition for a rehearing and to request that all of the justices to recuse themselves, apparently because he believes they are corrupt. But there is no explanation as to whom he thinks can conduct the rehearing if the bench is vacated. Did he stop to ponder what happens to a petition that can't be heard? Maybe he did, so he had a plan B to go to the US Supreme Court, and hoped that the ACLU and/or Cato Institute will assist him. While that sounded like a good idea, if for no other reason, his reputation for not being able to string several sentences together that make sense, I somehow doubt that he was able to get either of those organizations to lift a finger for his cause.

There is a mention of a pending federal lawsuit that Myers filed as well, but the local county attorney stated that they would be working to get that case dismissed as well. I am thinking that must have occurred, but cannot locate any public reporting of what has transpired on that filing.

noblepa

Post by noblepa »

Is it just me, or is the notion of a sovereign citizen attorney something of an oxymoron?

Attorneys exist to help others navigate the legal system, and to advocate for plaintiffs and defendants, under the very statutes that sovereign citizens deny the validity. or even the existence, of?

If one can avoid legal entanglements by simply saying "I do not consent", then why do they need a lawyer?
TBL

Post by TBL »

Silly Pa, attempting to apply logic or critical thinking to sovereign citizens.
Burnaby49
Quatloosian Ambassador to the CaliCanadians

Post by Burnaby49 »

TBL wrote: Fri Oct 09, 2020 8:18 pm Silly Pa, attempting to apply logic or critical thinking to sovereign citizens.
Agreed. I remember one way back, a tax evader, arguing, simultaneously, that ;

1 - The government had no right to print money.
2 - The government didn't need to tax him since they could just print more money.
"Yes Burnaby49, I do in fact believe all process servers are peace officers. I've good reason to believe so." Robert Menard in his May 28, 2015 video "Process Servers".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XeI-J2PhdGs
The Observer
Further Moderator

Post by The Observer »

noblepa wrote: Fri Oct 09, 2020 3:05 pm Is it just me, or is the notion of a sovereign citizen attorney something of an oxymoron?
Myers appears to be something of an oxymoron himself. How does anyone who cannot put together coherent sentences still be able to pass a state bar exam? Yet here he was admitted into practice before the Montana legal system. From some remote corners of the Internet there is info that indicates he may have come from Portland, OR prior to his appearance in MT; the Oregon state bar removed him. I also found that the Missouri Supreme Court also disbarred Myers in 2018; so perhaps he went to a law school there. Both of these disbarments were based on the Montana ruling. But beyond that, I can't find anything that might lead me to the actual law school that saw fit to graduate him and turn him loose on the world.

Burnaby49

Post by Burnaby49 »

Myers appears to be something of an oxymoron himself. How does anyone who cannot put together coherent sentences still be able to pass a state bar exam? Yet here he was admitted into practice before the Montana legal system. . . . . . But beyond that, I can't find anything that might lead me to the actual law school that saw fit to graduate him and turn him loose on the world.
An easy answer to your conundrum. Whatever law school saw fit to qualify Orly Taitz.
"Yes Burnaby49, I do in fact believe all process servers are peace officers. I've good reason to believe so." Robert Menard in his May 28, 2015 video "Process Servers".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XeI-J2PhdGs
TBL

Post by TBL »

The Observer wrote: Mon Oct 12, 2020 12:52 am
noblepa wrote: Fri Oct 09, 2020 3:05 pm Is it just me, or is the notion of a sovereign citizen attorney something of an oxymoron?
Myers appears to be something of an oxymoron himself. How does anyone who cannot put together coherent sentences still be able to pass a state bar exam? Yet here he was admitted into practice before the Montana legal system. From some remote corners of the Internet there is info that indicates he may have come from Portland, OR prior to his appearance in MT; the Oregon state bar removed him. I also found that the Missouri Supreme Court also disbarred Myers in 2018; so perhaps he went to a law school there. Both of these disbarments were based on the Montana ruling. But beyond that, I can't find anything that might lead me to the actual law school that saw fit to graduate him and turn him loose on the world.
Do we have a record of the case from Montana? It sounds like a fun read.
morrand

Post by morrand »

TBL wrote: Mon Oct 12, 2020 5:21 pm
Do we have a record of the case from Montana? It sounds like a fun read.
The bar complaint docket is available here. (I think.)
---
Morrand
noblepa

Post by noblepa »

When applying for state bar admissions, isn't one usually required to report past disciplinary actions? Wouldn't a disbarment in OR make it difficult or impossible to be admitted in MT?

Or, did he simply lie on his application? Wouldn't that be grounds for new disciplinary action, up to and including yet another disbarment?
TBL

Post by TBL »

morrand wrote: Tue Oct 13, 2020 12:58 am The bar complaint docket is available here. (I think.)
That WAS a good read, thank you. Those ads were heinous.