McLaughlin: CA2 Rules that courts DO have jurisdiction over TPs in criminal cases

Moderators: Prof, Judge Roy Bean

daddy
Stowaway
Stowaway

Re: McLaughlin: CA2 Rules that courts DO have jurisdiction over TPs in criminal cases

Post by daddy »

This is how the courts view/interpret personal jurisdiction:

1. Being physically in the courtroom, or physically in front of the judge.
2. The defendant being before the court.

1 and 2 are not the same. 2 is relevant, 1 is not.

O boy, some people here are really going to be dumbfounded by that statement.
If I don't respond to you, it probably means you have nothing worthwhile to consider.
Pottapaug1938
Supreme Prophet (Junior Division)

Re: McLaughlin: CA2 Rules that courts DO have jurisdiction over TPs in criminal cases

Post by Pottapaug1938 »

daddy wrote: Wed Jan 08, 2020 9:08 pm This is how the courts view/interpret personal jurisdiction:

We are, because it's evidence of your being unable to comprehend what has been said to you, about jurisdiction, by people who actually know what the law is and what it says about jurisdiction. You offer nothing to show otherwise; so if you wish to do so, please cite the relevant cases.
"We've been attacked by the intelligent, educated segment of the culture." -- Pastor Ray Mummert, Dover, PA, during an attempt to introduce creationism -- er, "intelligent design", into the Dover Public Schools
Dark Optimist
Scalawag
Scalawag

Post by Dark Optimist »

Or show up in person and tell us what it means. I'm sure someone on this board could make arrangements to be near the Denny's near you.
daddy
Stowaway
Stowaway

Post by daddy »

Personal jurisdiction: a court has the ability (or power) to try all persons within a certain physical boundary. How the courts then choose to exercise that ability is a whole other matter. Courts generally choose to invoke personal jurisdiction for defendants properly before the court. Just who might those be?
If I don't respond to you, it probably means you have nothing worthwhile to consider.
Dr. Caligari
J.D., Miskatonic University School of Crickets

Post by Dr. Caligari »

daddy wrote: Wed Jan 08, 2020 9:08 pm This is how the courts view/interpret personal jurisdiction:

We're talking about criminal cases here, not civil cases, where the rules are very different. With that caveat, 1 and 2 are the same, at least for natural persons. (Corporations can be criminally prosecuted, but aren't physically present in the courtroom.)
Yes, I am dumbfounded by your trollishness. If you have a point, please make it in clear language, and cite some supporting authority.
Dr. Caligari
(Du musst Caligari werden!)
daddy
Stowaway
Stowaway

Post by daddy »

Dr. Caligari wrote: Wed Jan 08, 2020 10:59 pm

We're talking about criminal cases here, not civil cases, where the rules are very different. With that caveat, 1 and 2 are the same, at least for natural persons.
Oh really now! You won't ever be able to prove that.
And yes, for future reference, we're talking criminal cases against humans.
Dr. Caligari
J.D., Miskatonic University School of Crickets

Post by Dr. Caligari »

daddy wrote: Wed Jan 08, 2020 11:23 pm
Dr. Caligari wrote: Wed Jan 08, 2020 10:59 pm

We're talking about criminal cases here, not civil cases, where the rules are very different. With that caveat, 1 and 2 are the same, at least for natural persons.
Oh really now! You won't ever be able to prove that.
And yes, for future reference, we're talking criminal cases against humans.
I don't have to "prove" anything. As I said above, if you have a point, please make it in clear language, and cite some supporting authority. Specifically, why don't you explain how a defendant can be physically present in the courtroom without being "before the court"? And what authority supports your assertion?
Dr. Caligari
(Du musst Caligari werden!)
AnOwlCalledSage
Admiral of the Quatloosian Seas
Admiral of the Quatloosian Seas

Post by AnOwlCalledSage »

Dr. Caligari wrote: Thu Jan 09, 2020 12:41 am Specifically, why don't you explain how a defendant can be physically present in the courtroom without being "before the court"? And what authority supports your assertion?
Well... there was the case reported by Leonard French where the defendant, Christopher G Hook, was sitting in the first row of the public gallery and didn't make himself known until 10 minutes into the hearing when it was clear that the judge was going to continue without him.

https://youtu.be/f9SjMNOFMtM
Never attribute to malice what can be adequately explained by stupidity - Hanlon's Razor
notorial dissent
A Balthazar of Quatloosian Truth

Post by notorial dissent »

Sigh! YAWN!!!! As I said previously, prey, elucidate. Also not holding my breath.
The fact that you sincerely and wholeheartedly believe that the “Law of Gravity” is unconstitutional and a violation of your sovereign rights, does not absolve you of adherence to it.