Post Hoc, Ergo Propter Hoc (DMVP)

Moderators: Prof, Judge Roy Bean

Pottapaug1938
Supreme Prophet (Junior Division)

Post Hoc, Ergo Propter Hoc (DMVP)

Post by Pottapaug1938 »

I have been "peeking over the back fence", at the Saving to Suitors site, much less frequently, these days, because most of what I see there are the same old Merrillite idiocies, restated and regurgitated; but today, I took a quick peek.

Depending on your political outlook, you may have a certain opinion as to why Trump, after his impeachment by the House, was not convicted by the Senate; but thanks to our old friend DMVP, we now know why Trump was not convicted. Straight from the horse's... um, "other orifice":

"I AM (rocking on)."

"Within a week of my sending the Amicus Brief to the defense attorneys, TRUMP was acquitted of the impeachment proceedings."
Last edited by wserra on Sun May 24, 2020 3:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Add "DMVP" to subject.
"We've been attacked by the intelligent, educated segment of the culture." -- Pastor Ray Mummert, Dover, PA, during an attempt to introduce creationism -- er, "intelligent design", into the Dover Public Schools
wserra
Quatloosian Federal Witness

Re: Post Hoc, Ergo Propter Hoc

Post by wserra »

For most people, post hoc ergo propter hoc is a logical fallacy. For Van Pelt, it is a mantra.

The case into which he (perhaps) sought to file an amicus brief - USA v. INTERNET RESEARCH AGENCY LLC et al, 18-cr-32 (DDC) - is the prosecution of several Russian oligarchs and entities they control for meddling in the 2016 election. Most, perhaps all, of the defendants were well beyond the reach of a U.S. prosecution - Putin being about as likely to turn over his oligarch buddies as Trump would be to turn over Manafort, Flynn or Stone. One of the indicted entities - something called Concord Management and Consulting LLC - did in fact appear through US counsel, thus submitting itself to US jurisdiction. The govt quickly figured out that it was being had. Concord had no assets in the US, no operations in the US, no officers or employees in the US, but was gathering all sorts of govt docs through discovery (including classified ones) and shipping them back to Mother Russia. The govt thus decided early this year to end the charade the only way it could - dismissal. Unlike with Flynn, this dismissal is readily understandable. The govt placed the unclassified part of this story in its application. The classified stuff is sealed (except, of course, from Russia).

So along comes Van Pelt, claiming credit based on a document that bears the same relationship to an amicus brief that a caveman struck by lightning bears to a transistor. Of course, the docket shows that his thing was never even filed, likely because (1) he had no idea of the process required to file an amicus brief, and (2) it wouldn't have mattered if he did and followed it to the letter.

But it's nice to have a mantra.
"A wise man proportions belief to the evidence."
- David Hume
notorial dissent
A Balthazar of Quatloosian Truth

Post by notorial dissent »

In fairness, the transistor and the caveman both contain a tiny amount of silica but that is as far as it goes. It still doesn't proctor the hoc, except in Merrillian fantasy world.
The fact that you sincerely and wholeheartedly believe that the “Law of Gravity” is unconstitutional and a violation of your sovereign rights, does not absolve you of adherence to it.
grixit
Recycler of Paytriot Fantasies

Post by grixit »

Proctor the Hoc is the name of my new Neo-Punk/Rude Boy band.
Three cheers for the Lesser Evil!

10 . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 2
. . . . . . Dr Pepper
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . .. . . 4
notorial dissent
A Balthazar of Quatloosian Truth

Post by notorial dissent »

grixit wrote: Sun May 24, 2020 5:47 am Proctor the Hoc is the name of my new Neo-Punk/Rude Boy band.
And well named they are. :snicker:
The fact that you sincerely and wholeheartedly believe that the “Law of Gravity” is unconstitutional and a violation of your sovereign rights, does not absolve you of adherence to it.
The Observer
Further Moderator

Post by The Observer »

wserra wrote:Of course, the docket shows that his thing was never even filed,...
But did you remember to check his special repository with the court clerk that works for David? You know, the repository that has no lid, sits in the corner of the office and has all of David's documents neatly wadded up and thrown haphazardly inside?
"I could be dead wrong on this" - Irwin Schiff

"Do you realize I may even be delusional with respect to my income tax beliefs? " - Irwin Schiff
wserra

Re: Post Hoc, Ergo Propter Hoc (DMVP)

Post by wserra »

Damn, forgot about that one. Shouldn't have, I guess. Probably some of the wadded-up documents inside it are that worthless fiat money that he's redeemed for something lawful.
"A wise man proportions belief to the evidence."
- David Hume
The Observer
Further Moderator

Post by The Observer »

wserra wrote: Sun May 24, 2020 3:37 pm Damn, forgot about that one. Shouldn't have, I guess. Probably some of the wadded-up documents inside it are that worthless fiat money that he's redeemed for something lawful .
FIFY.
"I could be dead wrong on this" - Irwin Schiff

"Do you realize I may even be delusional with respect to my income tax beliefs? " - Irwin Schiff
Gregg
Conde de Quatloo

Post by Gregg »

Fear ye those that would invoke the name of he who must not be taken seriously! You KNOW that pidgeons are in fact drones and not real birds don't you. DON"T YOU???

You know he makes me irrational like almost no one else on the planet.
Supreme Commander of The Imperial Illuminati Air Force
Your concern is duly noted, filed, folded, stamped, sealed with wax and affixed with a thumbprint in red ink, forgotten, recalled, considered, reconsidered, appealed, denied and quietly ignored.