Relevance Linguistics of Pseudolegal Reasoning to Society? (new member, apologies for noobness)

Moderators: Prof, Judge Roy Bean

Burnaby49
Quatloosian Ambassador to the CaliCanadians

Re: Relevance Linguistics of Pseudolegal Reasoning to Society? (new member, apologies for noobness)

Post by Burnaby49 »

I'm appalled by how many Americans seem blissfully unaware that Canada is actually a separate country, but merely baffled by how even a small number of Canadians could apparently be so stupid.
As a Canadian I share your amazement at how Americans seem to think Canada is the 51st state. Americans are constantly being stopped and sometimes arrested at the border for trying to bring guns in the country. Generally they aren't deliberately flouting the law, they seem unaware that they are entering a different country that doesn't have a second amendment and has different laws respecting guns. A particular peeve of mine is the Americans who, at each presidential election, go on about how they are moving to Canada if their candidate doesn't make it as if we're just another neighborhood rather than an independent nation with its own immigration laws.

Not a problem we Canadians face in respect to visiting the United States. Your Homeland Security agents generally make it pretty clear we're being allowed in on sufferage.
"Yes Burnaby49, I do in fact believe all process servers are peace officers. I've good reason to believe so." Robert Menard in his May 28, 2015 video "Process Servers".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XeI-J2PhdGs
eric
Trivial Observer of Great War

Re: Relevance Linguistics of Pseudolegal Reasoning to Society? (new member, apologies for noobness)

Post by eric »

MRN wrote: Thu Oct 22, 2020 8:08 pm I seem to recall that the Scott Duncan crew, which had a number of Québec sovereigns who by their syntax were clearly much more comfortable in French than in English:
viewtopic.php?f=48&t=11275&hilit=surety+group
talked endlessly about "security of the person" which, oddly enough, is not from the Québec Civil code, it's from Section 7 of the Canadian Charter of Rights and Freedoms, though originally it's from the 1948 United Nations Declaration of Universal Human Rights, so I can't prove which he got it from.
Coffeekitten was doing a sterling job as a translator here, but they seem to have faded out after a bit.
It's actually from the Quebec Charter of rights and Freedoms. Chapter 1 para 1.
http://legisquebec.gouv.qc.ca/en/showdoc/cs/c-12
Scooter's little group collapsed because he stormed off in a huff because people weren't sucking up to him enough, besides it's hard to keep a movement going when you make its social media pages private only. Pierre Daoust tried to keep it going but poor Pierre got slammed repeatedly by Quebec judges on various matters who are certainly the equal of their Alberta counterparts. Here's a typical example if you can handle the french:
https://www.canlii.org/fr/qc/qccs/doc/2 ... ltIndex=10
The other Quebec FMOTL movement which had as its basis that statutes didn't apply because the Queen herself didn't sign them also died out in the face of the Quebec justice system. Somewhere around I have all the links to the assorted cases, again francais only.
Pottapaug1938
Supreme Prophet (Junior Division)

Post by Pottapaug1938 »

Burnaby49 wrote: Thu Oct 22, 2020 11:52 pm
I'm appalled by how many Americans seem blissfully unaware that Canada is actually a separate country, but merely baffled by how even a small number of Canadians could apparently be so stupid.
As a Canadian I share your amazement at how Americans seem to think Canada is the 51st state. Americans are constantly being stopped and sometimes arrested at the border for trying to bring guns in the country. Generally they aren't deliberately flouting the law, they seem unaware that they are entering a different country that doesn't have a second amendment and has different laws respecting guns. A particular peeve of mine is the Americans who, at each presidential election, go on about how they are moving to Canada if their candidate doesn't make it as if we're just another neighborhood rather than an independent nation with its own immigration laws.

Not a problem we Canadians face in respect to visiting the United States. Your Homeland Security agents generally make it pretty clear we're being allowed in on sufferage.
About 15 years ago, I toyed with the idea of moving to Canada, then or upon retirement; but my wife's need to remain within easy driving distance of the Dana-Farber Cancer Institute ended that. Even so, it's not as if we could have showed up, moving van close behind, and said "here we are!" Canada has rules about that sort of thing. On top of that, Quebec would have been our preferred destination; but the Francofascist language laws would have forced an alternate choice. Currently, the "if we ever did" choice is Ottawa, Hawkesbury, or someplace in between.
"We've been attacked by the intelligent, educated segment of the culture." -- Pastor Ray Mummert, Dover, PA, during an attempt to introduce creationism -- er, "intelligent design", into the Dover Public Schools
LaVidaRoja
Basileus Quatlooseus

Post by LaVidaRoja »

IF (and fortunately that is a VERY big IF) things do not go well in 11 days, my husband wants to move to Vancouver B.C. I would rather head South, but them, I speak Spanish and he does not
Little boys who tell lies grow up to be weathermen.
Burnaby49

Post by Burnaby49 »

Ottawa? You'd pick Ottawa? I spent three years there. If you're in the federal civil service it's ground zero for promotions and plum jobs but I was desperate to get out after my first winter. People fine, town fine, I had a good job, but the weather was unbearable. It was New Orleans heat in the summer but with more humidity and Whitehorse in the winter with, again, way more humidity. It had a perfect combination of maximizing cold while keeping it just warm enough (a relative term in this context, say -10 to -20f) to maximize snow too. Lots and lots of snow that never seemed to end. A lot of freezing rain, the worst weather condition I've ever experienced. I took a demotion to get back to Vancouver and have been happy with that decision for the last 45 years.
"Yes Burnaby49, I do in fact believe all process servers are peace officers. I've good reason to believe so." Robert Menard in his May 28, 2015 video "Process Servers".

Pottapaug1938

Post by Pottapaug1938 »

Burnaby49 wrote: Sat Oct 24, 2020 3:54 am Ottawa? You'd pick Ottawa? I spent three years there. If you're in the federal civil service it's ground zero for promotions and plum jobs but I was desperate to get out after my first winter. People fine, town fine, I had a good job, but the weather was unbearable. It was New Orleans heat in the summer but with more humidity and Whitehorse in the winter with, again, way more humidity. It had a perfect combination of maximizing cold while keeping it just warm enough (a relative term in this context, say -10 to -20f) to maximize snow too. Lots and lots of snow that never seemed to end. A lot of freezing rain, the worst weather condition I've ever experienced. I took a demotion to get back to Vancouver and have been happy with that decision for the last 45 years.
Yeah, I'd pick Ottawa, or maybe Saint John. I'd want to be within a day's drive of Massachusetts. Ottawa also has the virtue of being 2 hours away from Montreal, so that I could enjoy the city without having to live under Quebec's language laws.

I imagine that the Ottawa climate is not that far off that of Montreal; and I remember being at Scout summer camp, an hour north of Montreal, and encountering humidity reminiscent of Washington, DC.
Last edited by wserra on Sun Oct 25, 2020 9:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
"We've been attacked by the intelligent, educated segment of the culture." -- Pastor Ray Mummert, Dover, PA, during an attempt to introduce creationism -- er, "intelligent design", into the Dover Public Schools
MRN
Pirates Mate
Pirates Mate

Post by MRN »

Pottapaug, Let me know if you decide to come check Ottawa out, I'll give you the tour. Presumably by then we'll have a nightlife again.

I actually grew up in the Lower Mainland (Coquitlam) and while the Coast is beautiful, I love both it and the Island and go back as often as I can, I can't be doing with the endless winter rain plus the extra hour of dark by mid-December.

We may join my sister in the Kootenays when we retire. If I have to have winter, I demand enough snow to frolic in...
Burnaby49

Post by Burnaby49 »

MRN wrote: Sun Oct 25, 2020 1:06 am Pottapaug, Let me know if you decide to come check Ottawa out, I'll give you the tour. Presumably by then we'll have a nightlife again.

I actually grew up in the Lower Mainland (Coquitlam) and while the Coast is beautiful, I love both it and the Island and go back as often as I can, I can't be doing with the endless winter rain plus the extra hour of dark by mid-December.

We may join my sister in the Kootenays when we retire. If I have to have winter, I demand enough snow to frolic in...
I have a different viewpoint. During my first winter in Ottawa I flew home to Vancouver for Xmas. The weather here was wonderful, it rained all the time. After two months of solid snow I thought it paradise. If you want snow in BC I'd recommend Fernie.

Pottapaug1938

Post by Pottapaug1938 »

MRN wrote: Sun Oct 25, 2020 1:06 am Pottapaug, Let me know if you decide to come check Ottawa out, I'll give you the tour. Presumably by then we'll have a nightlife again.

If the border gets opened, next year, I may try to swing a trip up that way.
eric
Trivial Observer of Great War

Post by eric »

Getting back on topic, definitions as per i:man: christopher james
  • trespass: what the other guy did to you - Said wrongdoers trespass (malfeasance, theft, extortion, barratry)
    court: (plaintiff name) Court - court of record which has jurisdiction on whatever I feel to be (law: common law)
    jury: de jure = jurisdiction = plaintiff is both the prosecutor and judge
All references taken from "manary court" statement of claim - when I have time I will post the disastorous results of that one, working on trespass Ozelie Caissie, a tale of greed and family hatred.
MRN
Pirates Mate
Pirates Mate

Post by MRN »

... oh sweet gaudy Christ on a jet-powered pogo stick:

https://awarriorcalls.com/trespass-case-3/

I can hardly wait.
Dr. Caligari
J.D., Miskatonic University School of Crickets

Post by Dr. Caligari »

Foggy wrote: Wed Oct 21, 2020 1:55 pm I just think it's cool that a thread about linguistics has a title containing the word "noobness".

That's just linguistic as hell, IMHO. :whistle:
Yes, the correct term is "noobiosity."
Dr. Caligari
(Du musst Caligari werden!)
LawofImprobability
Stowaway
Stowaway

Post by LawofImprobability »

MRN wrote: Mon Oct 26, 2020 12:59 am ... oh sweet gaudy Christ on a jet-powered pogo stick:

I can hardly wait.
Does Canada have an equivalent to a private attorney general (the real thing, not the nutjob interpretation)?

Also, I wonder if I should start a new thread to condense a lot of stuff.
LawofImprobability
Stowaway
Stowaway

Post by LawofImprobability »

Upon looking at the UK glossary, I think it is more of a rough guide by frustrated people (I know the feeling) but not a good effort to analyze how the mistakes came to be and how to decipher the pseudolegal ideas.
ArthurWankspittle
Slavering Minister of Auto-erotic Insinuation

Post by ArthurWankspittle »

Dr. Caligari wrote: Mon Oct 26, 2020 7:59 pm
Foggy wrote: Wed Oct 21, 2020 1:55 pm I just think it's cool that a thread about linguistics has a title containing the word "noobness".

That's just linguistic as hell, IMHO. :whistle:
Yes, the correct term is "noobiosity."
That's American English. UK English is obviously noobishity.
"There is something about true madness that goes beyond mere eccentricity." Will Self
Burnaby49

Post by Burnaby49 »

LawofImprobability wrote: Tue Oct 27, 2020 3:14 am
MRN wrote: Mon Oct 26, 2020 12:59 am ... oh sweet gaudy Christ on a jet-powered pogo stick:

I can hardly wait.
Does Canada have an equivalent to a private attorney general (the real thing, not the nutjob interpretation)?

Also, I wonder if I should start a new thread to condense a lot of stuff.
No to first question.

MRN
Pirates Mate
Pirates Mate

Post by MRN »

We can't even summon up a Private Governor-General.
grixit
Recycler of Paytriot Fantasies

Post by grixit »

MRN wrote: Thu Oct 29, 2020 11:11 pm We can't even summon up a Private Governor-General.
What if you make a circle with plates of poutine topped with hockey pucks, set fire to a pile of moose droppings, dress up as the cast of Anne of Green Gables, and sing Barrett's Privateers?
Three cheers for the Lesser Evil!

10 . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 2
. . . . . . Dr Pepper
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . .. . . 4
MRN
Pirates Mate
Pirates Mate

Post by MRN »

That's the summoning ritual for Haligonians. To get a Governor-General you probably need something involving a lot of Red Rose tea and a fancy hat.
wserra
Quatloosian Federal Witness
Quatloosian Federal Witness

Post by wserra »

MRN wrote: Mon Nov 02, 2020 8:03 pmTo get a Governor-General you probably need something involving a lot of Red Rose tea and a fancy hat.
Not to mention never think of thinking for yourself at all.

Don't mind me. It's election day in the US.
"A wise man proportions belief to the evidence."
- David Hume