Amish Going Sovrun?

Moderators: Prof, Judge Roy Bean

The Observer
Further Moderator

Amish Going Sovrun?

Post by The Observer »

I have been somewhat aware of the background of this story, which involves an Amish farmer who is running a organic farm store where he sells products that are not meeting federal requirements for dairy and meat inspection. Since 2016, Amos Miller has been accused of selling dairy products made from raw milk that have gotten people sick. He also is apparently packaging meat that does not meet federal requirements.

Today's news article recaps the story and is pointing out that Miller has pursued a sovrun citizen strategy in his defying the authorities. The article is sketchy and does not provide any samples of what this "sovstrat" is. In March of 22 he had filed an "untelligble" document with the court that was provided by some sovrun group from which he had been receiving advice. One example of the dialogue between Miller and the court:
“If I may address the court, what is the compelling public interest in this case?” Miller asked. He said because he only sells his “nutrient dense food” to private buying club members in his buying club, he isn’t engaging in public commerce.

“You're concerned about what the public interest is in protecting food safety?” [Judge] Smith replied, sounding exasperated.
In any event, his farm was raided January 4th with a search warrant to secure evidence that Miller was selling product in violation of federal safety laws.
"I could be dead wrong on this" - Irwin Schiff

"Do you realize I may even be delusional with respect to my income tax beliefs? " - Irwin Schiff
JamesVincent
A Councilor of the Kabosh

Re: Amish Going Sovrun?

Post by JamesVincent »

That's really unusual for an Amish.
Disciple of the cross and champion in suffering
Immerse yourself into the kingdom of redemption
Pardon your mind through the chains of the divine
Make way, the shepherd of fire

Avenged Sevenfold "Shepherd of Fire"
eric
Trivial Observer of Great War

Post by eric »

Poor Amos probably isn't the one who has gone sov, I'm suspecting it was his wife. In Old Order Mennonite/Amish households, the husband is absolute head of the house. That being said, the men do the outside work, the women do the inside work which includes handling the money and running the business. The men, in Canada at least, have at most a grade 10 education, while it is not unusual to find Mennonite women teachers, veterinarians, agricultural science grads, etc. I'm betting she put him up to it.

BTW, the "buying club" methodology started thirty years ago or so. It used to be farmers could sell uninspected product so long as it was farm gate. When the government started to clamp down, particularly on milk, they switched to a "club" where the members would buy shares on a dairy cow which entitled them to so many gallons of milk per week. No it didn't stand up in court in Ontario.
Number Six
Hereditary Margrave of Mooloosia

Post by Number Six »

I'm surprised considering that most of them have a major problem with greedy commercial activity and the other of the seven deadly sins, in this case pride and sloth over not admitting their mistakes and how they had potentially threatened public health in ways they could face crippling lawsuits if a customer wanted to hold them accountable. I'd have thought they would have tried to resolve all issues before ending up in court as Jesus recommended because for them to end up there is a very bad testimony that will tarnish many of their friends' reputations for being obstinate, pig-headed and undisciplined. Just because milk is pasteurized does not necessarily make it wholesome as I've gotten small dairy pasteurized milk with a distinct offal flavor. Clearly raw milk dairies have to run an operation as pure as the driven snow hygienically. And if they don't the damage that can be done to their business and the larger raw milk dairies as a whole is substantial.
'There are two kinds of injustice: the first is found in those who do an injury, the second in those who fail to protect another from injury when they can.' (Roman. Cicero, De Off. I. vii)

'Choose loss rather than shameful gains.' (Chilon Fr. 10. Diels)
The Observer
Further Moderator

Post by The Observer »

Another news article on Miller: https://www.newsweek.com/amish-farmer-t ... ar-1872374

This deals with politicians taking sides, so if you decide to comment, please leave political comments out of your response. The article does point out that, like the Bundys, Miller decided to ignore the law for years despite the fact that his farm products were harming customers, including killing one.
"I could be dead wrong on this" - Irwin Schiff

"Do you realize I may even be delusional with respect to my income tax beliefs? " - Irwin Schiff