"Sovereigns" convicted for selling "diplomatic" IDs

Moderators: Prof, Judge Roy Bean

Nikki

Re: "Sovereigns" convicted for selling "diplomatic" IDs

Post by Nikki »

Nice catch and thanks for the report.

It's pathetic that three men who should be spending time with their grandchildren are just going to be spending time.
Lambkin
Warder of the Quatloosian Gibbet

Post by Lambkin »

It looks like the conclusion of this prior thread: http://quatloos.com/Q-Forum/viewtopic.php?f=37&t=4655
Unidyne
Admiral of the Quatloosian Seas

Post by Unidyne »

Lambkin wrote:It looks like the conclusion of this prior thread: http://quatloos.com/Q-Forum/viewtopic.php?f=37&t=4655
Partners in crime, perhaps?
Irony: The Ayn Rand® Institute (ARI) is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization.
Unidyne

Post by Unidyne »

Irony: The Ayn Rand® Institute (ARI) is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization.
The Observer
Further Moderator

Post by The Observer »

Well, if nothing else, you have to give them credit for being creative and taking the sovereign movement to new height - er a new low in scamming people. Next month: the selling of certificates that authorize you to be a sovereign fairy godmother with powers to vanquish the ebil gubmint.
"I could be dead wrong on this" - Irwin Schiff

"Do you realize I may even be delusional with respect to my income tax beliefs? " - Irwin Schiff
fortinbras
Princeps Wooloosia

Post by fortinbras »

Under 18 USC § 915, someone falsely pretending to be a diplomatic official of a foreign govt in other to obtain or attempt to obtain "any money, paper, document, or other thing of value", is prosecuted as a felony with a prison sentence up to 10 years.

The cases shows that the "thing of value" can be immunity from arrest or from a traffic ticket, or any sort of credit, investment, or gift from a non-govt source. The pretense can include pretending to be a diplomat from an imaginary country.

Defenses that have NOT worked are the claims that the imposture was so absurd that nobody should have been deceived, or that the perp actually thought he somehow had been made a diplomat, or (in one case and very implausibly) that he did not know that the foreign dignitary he was pretending to be was an official of a foreign govt.

So these guys just convicted were selling to their customers the tools of a crime which the customers wanted, and were being encouraged, to commit. Undoubtedly their list of customers is already in the FBI's hands.
Last edited by fortinbras on Tue Feb 16, 2010 2:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Blup

Post by Blup »

I really wish I could see the police report from when he flashed his phony "diplomat" card at the cop. Really wish! :mrgreen:
Doktor Avalanche
Asst Secretary, the Dept of Jesters

Post by Doktor Avalanche »

Blup wrote:I really wish I could see the police report from when he flashed his phony "diplomat" card at the cop. Really wish! :mrgreen:
It looked something like this:

The laissez-faire argument relies on the same tacit appeal to perfection as does communism. - George Soros