Sovereign Saga Continues: Republic of Texas Redux

Moderators: Prof, Judge Roy Bean

Prof
El Pontificator de Porceline Precepts

Sovereign Saga Continues: Republic of Texas Redux

Post by Prof »

From today's San Antonio Express-News, the continuing saga of Joe Gray, one sovereign man, on the land, in the Republic of Texas:

http://www.mysanantonio.com/news/state/ ... round.html

Please note that he lives near "Gun Barrel City," Texas.

To me, this quote from the article sums up the "Lifestyles of the Poor and Sovereign:"
The two-story Gray house sits a few hundred yards back, at the end of a winding, rolling path. The farm is shaded by a canopy of oaks and is alive with the bleating of goats that have their run of a front pasture littered with an old truck body, old appliances and all manner of garbage.
"My Health is Better in November."
bmielke

Re: Sovereign Saga Continues: Republic of Texas Redux

Post by bmielke »

And the permit? In writings and previous interviews, Gray has said he didn’t need a government-issued document: He had permission from God.
I have heard this kind of thing quite a bit. Many people don't like permits, but most pay the fee and get the gun permit, it is a lot easier then fighting the law.

Although I thought Texas was one of the states that allowed open carry without a permit.
Lambkin
Warder of the Quatloosian Gibbet

Post by Lambkin »

bmielke wrote:Although I thought Texas was one of the states that allowed open carry without a permit.
By my reading, the issue here was concealed carry (shoulder holster).
bmielke

Post by bmielke »

Lambkin wrote:
bmielke wrote:Although I thought Texas was one of the states that allowed open carry without a permit.
By my reading, the issue here was concealed carry (shoulder holster).
Yes that was my reading as well, however I open carry all the time with a shoulder holster when I am on a tractor, or mowing the lawn. I could see it being concealed if he put a jacket over it but the holster itself shouldn't cause an issue.

If he did intentionally conceal it then he's an idiot, of course anyone who would be engaged in a 10 year standoff can't be a verybright individual.
Prof
El Pontificator de Porceline Precepts

Post by Prof »

Texas does not permit open carry of pistols, period. It only permits concealed carry and then only with a CHP. (I've got one.)

Of course, a hunter in the field with a pistol in open carry might technically be against the law, but no one would care.
"My Health is Better in November."
webhick
Illuminati Obfuscation: Black Ops Div

Post by webhick »

bmielke wrote:however I open carry all the time with a shoulder holster when I am on a tractor, or mowing the lawn.
Are you afraid that you're going to have to suppress the lawnmower revolution?
When chosen for jury duty, tell the judge "fortune cookie says guilty" - A fortune cookie
Mr. Mephistopheles
Faustus Quatlus

Post by Mr. Mephistopheles »

bmielke wrote:
Yes that was my reading as well, however I open carry all the time with a shoulder holster when I am on a tractor, or mowing the lawn.
SNAKE!
Parvati
Demigoddess of Volatile Benevolence

Post by Parvati »

webhick wrote:
bmielke wrote:however I open carry all the time with a shoulder holster when I am on a tractor, or mowing the lawn.
:D

In my case, I carry when I'm out on the farm because we have a coyote problem and lugging a shotgun around on the smaller tractors or a mower just isn't very practical. For the record, I don't shoot the poor things--they're an introduced species that was brought in to cull a previously introduced species. They did it far too well, and now they've moved on to other things, like garbage cans, livestock and domestic pets. I just use gunfire to scare them off, so they don't get any ideas about coming back for a midnight snack of guinea hen. I aim for the ground in front of them, as I don't like to fire into a treeline on the off-chance that the bullet would pass through.
"The risk in becoming very intimate with a moldie Parvati is that she may unexpectedly become a Kali and take your head."--Rudy Rucker, Freeware
“Most men would kill the truth if truth would kill their religion.”--Lemuel K. Washburn.
bmielke

Post by bmielke »

webhick wrote:
Snakes, Coyotes, and now even Feral Hogs, I never go into the woods or out in the pastures with out a firearm, be it a pistol, rifle, or shotgun. When I target shoot in the woods, I always reserve one magazine for my pistol or rifle.

FWIW Tennessee only allows Open Carry (outside of your own land, when you are hunting, or on another's land with permission) if you have Tennessee Hand Gun Carry Permit, I am currently waiting for the state to issue mine. You can open or concealed carry with one, but frankly no one really open carry's unless they are trying to make a statement.
Judge Roy Bean
Judge for the District of Quatloosia

Post by Judge Roy Bean »

Prof wrote:...

Of course, a hunter in the field with a pistol in open carry might technically be against the law, but no one would care.
I'm almost certain there is an exception for hunting and when you're on your own property.

Also, we have a peaceable journey statute which means you can carry a concealed handgun without a CHP in your vehicle (or one that you're driving) and while you're going to or from it from your home or YOUR place of business - not your employer's.
The Honorable Judge Roy Bean
The world is a car and you're a crash-test dummy.
The Devil Makes Three
bmielke

Post by bmielke »

CaptainKickback wrote:
Parvati wrote: In my case, I carry when I'm out on the farm because we have a coyote problem and lugging a shotgun around on the smaller tractors or a mower just isn't very practical.
The solution to your dilemma is obvious - installa gun rack! Or at least a sheath that you can stow a shot gun in for easy access.

Heck, I am a city boy, but I bet even I was able to figure that one out. :wink:
I already tried, the best I could come up with is to bolt it to the back of the tractor/lawn mower, but then it would be a pain to get the gun and shoulder it, I would really need a lot of practice. I thought about getting a rifle scabbard, but I wasn't sure it would work, so I just bought a Handgun.
Judge Roy Bean

Post by Judge Roy Bean »

CaptainKickback wrote:
The solution to your dilemma is obvious - installa gun rack! Or at least a sheath that you can stow a shot gun in for easy access.

Heck, I am a city boy, but I bet even I was able to figure that one out. :wink:
Actually, no. There's enough dangerous stuff on a tractor just waiting to snag, stab, burn, pinch, break or maim even experienced operators.

When you're doing tractor work you actually spend quite a bit of time off or out of it.

From personal experience the shoulder holster is the better answer.
The Honorable Judge Roy Bean
The world is a car and you're a crash-test dummy.
The Devil Makes Three
Doktor Avalanche
Asst Secretary, the Dept of Jesters

Post by Doktor Avalanche »

Prof wrote:From today's San Antonio Express-News, the continuing saga of Joe Gray, one sovereign man, on the land, in the Republic of Texas:

http://www.mysanantonio.com/news/state/ ... round.html

Please note that he lives near "Gun Barrel City," Texas.

To me, this quote from the article sums up the "Lifestyles of the Poor and Sovereign:"
The two-story Gray house sits a few hundred yards back, at the end of a winding, rolling path. The farm is shaded by a canopy of oaks and is alive with the bleating of goats that have their run of a front pasture littered with an old truck body, old appliances and all manner of garbage.
The laissez-faire argument relies on the same tacit appeal to perfection as does communism. - George Soros