SuiJurisForum

Moderators: Prof, Judge Roy Bean

grndslm

Re: SuiJurisForum

Post by grndslm »

LPC wrote:A relative of mine supported a civics literacy test for voting. I counter-proposed an economics literacy test. For example, if you believe that reductions in tax rates produce increased tax revenue, you would flunk and be ineligible to vote.
This is why I suggest that the test be based on DIRECT ISSUES AT HAND.

How can you disagree that requiring this of legislators is wrong?

Who makes the test?? Umm... the "unbiased committee" could do it before bringing it to the floor of the three houses. :)

Why make the test if it hasn't passed committee??
Pottapaug1938
Supreme Prophet (Junior Division)

Post by Pottapaug1938 »

I don't know that I like the idea of a literacy test for voting -- we all can easily find out how well that worked in the South, years ago, when a black person wanted to vote. However, I do like the idea of a mandatory civics component to all school curricula. Civics should be studied, throughout the year; and then in the senior year of high school, there should be an intensive course in not only civics, but in "real life" -- covering things like contracts, loan agreements, civic duties and rights, citizen involvement, and other things that the soon-to-be-graduate will encounter soon, whether he or she enters the work force or enters college after graduation.

If anyone doubts the usefulness of such a course, let them look at modern American poltical discourse where all too many people -- right, left and center -- "don't have the time" to become civically involved. They cede the political battleground to the well-organized minorities (especially the extremists on both sides), and make their judgments on who delivers the better sound bite.
"We've been attacked by the intelligent, educated segment of the culture." -- Pastor Ray Mummert, Dover, PA, during an attempt to introduce creationism -- er, "intelligent design", into the Dover Public Schools
Gregg
Conde de Quatloo

Post by Gregg »

I'm all for activists in the know being the only ones who get to vote, myself.
Umm, whaddaya wanna call 'em? Barons, Earls, Dukes and Viscount?
"We the People (who adjudge ourselves and our like minded worthy to rule over ye)....
Supreme Commander of The Imperial Illuminati Air Force
Your concern is duly noted, filed, folded, stamped, sealed with wax and affixed with a thumbprint in red ink, forgotten, recalled, considered, reconsidered, appealed, denied and quietly ignored.
Gregg
Conde de Quatloo

Post by Gregg »

Absolutely. I do not place so much blame on the electorate as the education system.
I blame quite a bit of it on ignorant asshats like you having equal status in search engines as people who know what the hell they're talking about. The internet gives imbeciles credibility.

Gee, maybe we should make people pass a test before they can post on the internet!

Screw it, when the New House of Lords takes over, the First Amendment only applies to those who think like me!
Your concern is duly noted, filed, folded, stamped, sealed with wax and affixed with a thumbprint in red ink, forgotten, recalled, considered, reconsidered, appealed, denied and quietly ignored.
Paul

Post by Paul »

Limit it to people who own real estate? Just a thought.
Starting another mortgage bubble? No, thanks.
LaVidaRoja
Basileus Quatlooseus

Post by LaVidaRoja »

Shouldn't that (didn't it used to) be white males, over age 21 who own real property? I vaguely recall that at one point commercial vehicles were taxed as real property because ownership of a commercial vehicle qualified one to vote as if one were a property owner.
Little boys who tell lies grow up to be weathermen.
Lambkin
Warder of the Quatloosian Gibbet

Post by Lambkin »

21! 21 year-olds should not drive, let alone vote. Please, 40.
Cathulhu
Order of the Quatloos, Brevet First Class

Post by Cathulhu »

Lambkin wrote:21! 21 year-olds should not drive, let alone vote. Please, 40.
Ha! Don't trust anyone under 50!
Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to. T. Pratchett
Always be a moving target. L.M. Bujold
grndslm

Post by grndslm »

Pottapaug1938 wrote:I don't know that I like the idea of a literacy test for voting...
It doesn't necessarily need to be a literacy test. It could be a visual and auditory test?

Remember.. 21st Century Tools.
Pottapaug1938 wrote:If anyone doubts the usefulness of such a course, let them look at modern American poltical discourse where all too many people -- right, left and center -- "don't have the time" to become civically involved. They cede the political battleground to the well-organized minorities (especially the extremists on both sides), and make their judgments on who delivers the better sound bite.
Civics was not taught at my high school.

A Law & Commerce class sounds better to me, tho. Only way to create new jobs, guys.
webhick
Illuminati Obfuscation: Black Ops Div

Post by webhick »

Cathulhu wrote:
Lambkin wrote:21! 21 year-olds should not drive, let alone vote. Please, 40.
Ha! Don't trust anyone under 50!
Voters should be limited to those over the age of 90, after all they're the only ones with the life experience necessary to decide what's best for the rest of us.
When chosen for jury duty, tell the judge "fortune cookie says guilty" - A fortune cookie
Pottapaug1938

Post by Pottapaug1938 »

grndslm wrote:
Pottapaug1938 wrote:Civics was not taught at my high school.
Neither was it taught at mine -- my "U.S. History" class was actually a course on Europe from medieval times up until the late 1700s ("a misnomer" was tghe way me teacher characterized the name of the course). Yet, I got such an excellent grounding in civics in elementary and junior high schools (1957-66), and in the Boy Scouts, that I did okay without a civics course.

The problem is that today's students rarely get any of what I got.
Last edited by Pottapaug1938 on Mon Aug 01, 2011 5:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"We've been attacked by the intelligent, educated segment of the culture." -- Pastor Ray Mummert, Dover, PA, during an attempt to introduce creationism -- er, "intelligent design", into the Dover Public Schools
Judge Roy Bean
Judge for the District of Quatloosia
Judge for the District of Quatloosia

Post by Judge Roy Bean »

IMHO, you should have to graduate from high school (or get a GED) or your adjusted gross income as reported on your most recent filing is more than $2,500.
The Honorable Judge Roy Bean
The world is a car and you're a crash-test dummy.
The Devil Makes Three
Gregg
Conde de Quatloo

Post by Gregg »

grndslm wrote: Civics was not taught at my high school.

I can hardly say that I'm surprised to learn that.
Prof
El Pontificator de Porceline Precepts

Post by Prof »

See the theory in Heinlein's Starship Troopers; only veterans got the franchise, because they "sort of" trusted each other.

Might work. Might lead to military autocracy.

See also Double Star; a parliament of interest groups rather than geography. Makes sense in today's world. Lawyers would have X seats in a commons. Computer Science/Engineers would have Y seats.
"My Health is Better in November."
David Merrill

Post by David Merrill »

grndslm wrote:SuiJurisForum.com is the new place.

SuiJurisClub.com will have more in due time, as well... like news, blog, backup, alternate forms of communication, etc.

I can't wait! This is a lot of fun...

Listen here.
David Merrill

Post by David Merrill »

There we have it. My two cents.
wserra
Quatloosian Federal Witness
Quatloosian Federal Witness

Post by wserra »

David Merrill wrote:There we have it. My two cents.
Hmm. That two cents seems in need of redeeming for lawful money.
"A wise man proportions belief to the evidence."
- David Hume
notorial dissent
A Balthazar of Quatloosian Truth

Post by notorial dissent »

Oh wait!!!! The US never issued a two cent coin, so it couldn't be lawful money, now would it???

Rather like all the rest of Merrill's theories come to think of it.
The fact that you sincerely and wholeheartedly believe that the “Law of Gravity” is unconstitutional and a violation of your sovereign rights, does not absolve you of adherence to it.
Pottapaug1938

Post by Pottapaug1938 »

notorial dissent wrote:Oh wait!!!! The US never issued a two cent coin, so it couldn't be lawful money, now would it???

Rather like all the rest of Some Guy's theories come to think of it.
Actually, the United States DID issue a two cent coin. The first ones were struck in 1864; but there was little need for the denomination, and coinage ceased in 1873. We also had a three cent coin, with the first silver examples being struck in 1851 and the last in 1873. Since these coins were tough to pick up and easy to misplace, they were replaced by a copper-nickel example in 1865. These were struck through 1889; but since they were the exact same diameter as a dime they could be confused with a dime that had a worn edge (much like a modern dollar coin gets confused with a quarter that has a worn edge). I even got a three cent piece in a roll of dimes, many years ago....
Cathulhu
Order of the Quatloos, Brevet First Class

Post by Cathulhu »

I have a three cent piece my Dad gave me nearly 50 years ago. It's in the safe with the passports and other stuff, and I'd forgotten it until you said that.

It's cool and I'll keep it always, but my Babylon 5 autographed cards are more valuable. And are also in the safe.
Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to. T. Pratchett
Always be a moving target. L.M. Bujold