Call 'em how I see 'em?

Moderators: Prof, Judge Roy Bean

add2cart

Call 'em how I see 'em?

Post by add2cart »

Heading back to court later this month to get a herd of squatting sov'runs evicted from a property my aunt left to me. It's a long, long story, but here's my question:

I will be given the opportunity to address the court at the end of my testimony. Is it wise to alert the judge to the fact that these are sov'runs, and that their harrassment has gone on for over a year? Not sure he's that aware - I'm amazed at the law enforcement and judicial staff who have never heard of these lunatics.

I'm sure if I do they'll slap me with a defamation of character suit, but oh well, what's one more lawsuit?

And, I'm well aware that I'm asking for legal advice from many who probably aren't lawyers, but it doesn't seem to stop the sov'runs in their pro sey pursuits. ;)
wserra
Quatloosian Federal Witness
Quatloosian Federal Witness

Re: Call 'em how I see 'em?

Post by wserra »

add2cart wrote:Is it wise to alert the judge to the fact that these are sov'runs, and that their harrassment has gone on for over a year?
Simply tell the judge what they've said and done. If you have anything in writing from them, show the judge. Do this during your testimony; don't wait for "summation". There is no need to call them "sovereign citizens" or apply other labels. The judge will get the message that they're squatters, and that should be enough.
I'm sure if I do they'll slap me with a defamation of character suit, but oh well, what's one more lawsuit?
For something you say in court? It would be quickly dismissed. But, as I said above, labels aren't necessary in any event.

Welcome to Quatloos.
"A wise man proportions belief to the evidence."
- David Hume
JamesVincent
A Councilor of the Kabosh

Post by JamesVincent »

Most definitely not a lawyer but I would say "yes" to notifying the court about the length of time any harassment has been going on. Depending on whats going on in court I would think about saying anything about the sov'run angle. It might make no difference since its sorta irrelevant, but, then again, it might make a lot of difference if the judge is familiar with the movement and even the individuals involved. Whatever you do make sure you are able to get an enforceable order, something that you can have officers enforce.
Disciple of the cross and champion in suffering
Immerse yourself into the kingdom of redemption
Pardon your mind through the chains of the divine
Make way, the shepherd of fire

Avenged Sevenfold "Shepherd of Fire"
Cathulhu
Order of the Quatloos, Brevet First Class

Post by Cathulhu »

I'm no attorney, but I've spent a lot of time writing evaluations. I doubt you can get hit for slander if you use specific quotes: e.g. "When I asked for rent, he said there was no law that said he had to pay me. When I asked what gave him that idea when I own the property, he said..."(insert sovrun spiel). I'd certainly do this in testimony rather than summation. It's highly probable that your sovruns will then decide to educate and inform the judge of their fabulous legal knowledge, and Bob's your uncle.
Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to. T. Pratchett
Always be a moving target. L.M. Bujold