Nebraska sovruns

Moderators: Prof, Judge Roy Bean

add2cart

Nebraska sovruns

Post by add2cart »

Answer me this: How do they keep getting away with not registering cars? Does law enforcement just not want to get tangled up with them, knowing it will take years for it to all unravel?

http://www.kvnonews.com/2011/10/anti-go ... forcement/
He doesn’t have a driver’s license. He lives in Omaha and owns his vehicle. Paul Hansen doesn’t register it with Douglas County. If stopped for a traffic violation he’ll explain to the police officer that he “doesn’t use one.” His next step is to ask if the officer has “any evidence this land is owned by the United States of America. Do you understand that if you issue me a ticket you will be on the witness stand and you will have to produce that evidence?”
Judge Roy Bean
Judge for the District of Quatloosia

Re: Nebraska sovruns

Post by Judge Roy Bean »

In most jurisdictions, law enforcement has more important things to do than play games with these dim bulbs.

A "sovrun" without a driver's license, operating a car without a valid plate and especially without insurance is probably saving himself hundreds of dollars a month.

If we want to stamp this out we're going to have to be willing to put up with local budgets that allow for effective prosecution and yes, even incarceration for these kinds of offenses.

It really boils down to who you want off the street - sovruns or petty drug criminals.
The Honorable Judge Roy Bean
The world is a car and you're a crash-test dummy.
The Devil Makes Three
JamesVincent
A Councilor of the Kabosh

Post by JamesVincent »

His next step is to ask if the officer has “any evidence this land is owned by the United States of America.”

"No son, but I do have the receipt for these handcuffs. Please step out of the car and place your hands on the hood please."
Problem solved.
Disciple of the cross and champion in suffering
Immerse yourself into the kingdom of redemption
Pardon your mind through the chains of the divine
Make way, the shepherd of fire

Avenged Sevenfold "Shepherd of Fire"
Unidyne
Admiral of the Quatloosian Seas

Post by Unidyne »

JamesVincent wrote:
His next step is to ask if the officer has “any evidence this land is owned by the United States of America.”

"No son, but I do have the receipt for these handcuffs. Please step out of the car and place your hands on the hood please."
Problem solved.
So, if the sovrun says he's not "driving a car" but "transporting a conveyance", the officer can say "All right then. Instead of writing a ticket and placing you under arrest, I'll issue a summons and take you into custody!"

Two can play at this game.
Irony: The Ayn Rand® Institute (ARI) is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization.
Judge Roy Bean

Post by Judge Roy Bean »

Unidyne wrote:...
So, if the sovrun says he's not "driving a car" but "transporting a conveyance", the officer can say "All right then. Instead of writing a ticket and placing you under arrest, I'll issue a summons and take you into custody!"

Two can play at this game.
Truth be told - depending on where you live it's more like:

Officer: "John, tell me you aren't trying this bull**** again."
Sovrun nutball: "You can't arrest me, Bill, you should know that."
Officer: "We've been through this before, John ... get out of the car."
Sovrun nutball: "OK, but you know you can't do this ... you know you can't ... I'm not in commerce."
Officer: "Get out of the car, John ... you know the drill, keep your hands where I can see 'em."
Sovrun nutball: "OK, I'm gettin' out but you can't do this you know."
Officer: "You wanna do this all over again, John ... you must really like the breakfast in the lockup."
Sovrun nutball: "Hey, I ain't payin' for it ... suits me just fine."
Officer: "The car's goin' back to the same tow yard, John ... your brother-in-law gonna pick it up again?"
Sovrun nutball: "Nah ... he's all pissed off about somethin'."
Officer: "Well, it'll be there 'till you get somebody to pay to get it out."
Sovrun nutball: "Don't matter ... it's not mine."
Officer: "Suit yourself ... what's your wife's cell number ... I'll call her before we get to the intake."

Just a little slice of sovrun life.
The Honorable Judge Roy Bean
The world is a car and you're a crash-test dummy.
The Devil Makes Three
fortinbras
Princeps Wooloosia

Post by fortinbras »

With regard to the last scenario, courts have ordered the vehicles impounded UNTIL they are properly registered, and then driven away only by someone with both a license and insurance.
The Dog
First Mate
First Mate

Post by The Dog »

Here in Britain, the Police can (and do) impound cars which are being driven without insurance. They do not need a court order to do this.
http://nds.coi.gov.uk/clientmicrosite/C ... bjectId=36

To judge from some of the Police TV programmes over here, there is a serious correlation between driving without insurance and other criminality. You would have thought that if you are transporting illegal drugs, you might want to try to avoid attracting the attention of the Police, but a surprising number seem to think otherwise. (I accept that there is probably some editorial selection involved).
Gregg
Conde de Quatloo

Post by Gregg »

Judge Roy Bean wrote:In most jurisdictions, law enforcement has more important things to do than play games with these dim bulbs.

A "sovrun" without a driver's license, operating a car without a valid plate and especially without insurance is probably saving himself hundreds of dollars a month.

If we want to stamp this out we're going to have to be willing to put up with local budgets that allow for effective prosecution and yes, even incarceration for these kinds of offenses.

It really boils down to who you want off the street - sovruns or petty drug criminals.
How about we impound the cars of the sov'runs, sell them at auction and use the proceeds to fund more police to take on the drug criminals?

Eventually, the sov'runs (it is hoped) will figure out that license plates are cheaper than cars, half of the problem solved!
Supreme Commander of The Imperial Illuminati Air Force
Your concern is duly noted, filed, folded, stamped, sealed with wax and affixed with a thumbprint in red ink, forgotten, recalled, considered, reconsidered, appealed, denied and quietly ignored.
JamesVincent
A Councilor of the Kabosh

Post by JamesVincent »

Gregg wrote:
Judge Roy Bean wrote:In most jurisdictions, law enforcement has more important things to do than play games with these dim bulbs.

How about we impound the cars of the sov'runs, sell them at auction and use the proceeds to fund more police to take on the drug criminals?

Eventually, the sov'runs (it is hoped) will figure out that license plates are cheaper than cars, half of the problem solved!
How about we just require that you have to have a valid drivers license to be able to purchase a car to start with, no matter who you purchase it from? I think that would fix a lot of problems, sov'runs, illegals, druggies, you name it. And if someone gets caught selling to someone without a valid drivers license off to the pokey they go. Have a website set up so people can enter the soundex ID number and all it tellls them is if it is a valid ID number.
Disciple of the cross and champion in suffering
Immerse yourself into the kingdom of redemption
Pardon your mind through the chains of the divine
Make way, the shepherd of fire

Avenged Sevenfold "Shepherd of Fire"
Gregg
Conde de Quatloo

Post by Gregg »

Property. You have a right to buy a car, own a car, work on a car in the garage, for that matter, drive it all over your own private land to your hearts content. You DO NOT have a RIGHT to operate it on the public roads, but if you comply with the law, you can exercise your privilege to do so. (but would doing so be a taxable event, per Hendrickson? :oops: )

I like to think that the other cars that might run into my little red race car are safe, insured and driven by someone who has demonstrated the skill and financial responsibility to not cause me (or said little red race car) damages that they then expect me to pay for, be maimed for, die for etc...
Supreme Commander of The Imperial Illuminati Air Force
Your concern is duly noted, filed, folded, stamped, sealed with wax and affixed with a thumbprint in red ink, forgotten, recalled, considered, reconsidered, appealed, denied and quietly ignored.
AndyK
Illuminatian Revenue Supremo Emeritus

Post by AndyK »

What happens when an unlicensed, unregistered, uninsured sovereignoramus has a collision with another in the same situation?

Do they immediately resort to trial by combat, or wombat, or ...>
Taxes are the price we pay for a free society and to cover the responsibilities of the evaders
grixit
Recycler of Paytriot Fantasies

Post by grixit »

According to the UN Convention on Cute Animals with Silly Names, it is forbidden to use live wombats as weapons. However there are a number extremely lifelike wombat plushies available.
Three cheers for the Lesser Evil!

10 . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 2
. . . . . . Dr Pepper
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . .. . . 4
ArthurWankspittle
Slavering Minister of Auto-erotic Insinuation

Post by ArthurWankspittle »

oldnikki wrote:What happens when an unlicensed, unregistered, uninsured sovereignoramus has a collision with another in the same situation?

Do they immediately resort to trial by combat, or wombat, or ...>
Maybe that was what was going on here: http://www.myfoxdfw.com/dpp/news/unusua ... -Armadillo
"There is something about true madness that goes beyond mere eccentricity." Will Self
Unidyne

Post by Unidyne »

Then there is the Embassy of Heaven group, whose members profess to be Citizens of the Kingdom of Heaven, complete with ID cards, passports, driver licenses, auto titles, business licenses, etc.

The following explains it all, and is an interesting (if odd) read: http://www.embassyofheaven.com/catalog/Vehicles.htm

You can see photos of the plate, license & title here: http://www.embassyofheaven.com/catalog/licensby.htm
Irony: The Ayn Rand® Institute (ARI) is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization.
grixit
Recycler of Paytriot Fantasies

Post by grixit »

Citizens of Heaven are easy to deport.
Three cheers for the Lesser Evil!

10 . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 2
. . . . . . Dr Pepper
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . .. . . 4
Arthur Rubin
Tupa-O-Quatloosia

Post by Arthur Rubin »

ArthurWankspittle wrote:Maybe that was what was going on here: http://www.myfoxdfw.com/dpp/news/unusua ... -Armadillo
http://www.myfoxdfw.com/dpp/news/unusual/101811-Man-Allegedly-Beat-Woman-with-Frozen-Armadillo wrote:Detectives have been unable to find the man, who could face assault charges.
Shouldn't that be "battery", rather than "assault"? I mean, I would have lost several points if I made that mistake on my midterm.....
Arthur Rubin, unemployed tax preparer and aerospace engineer
ImageJoin the Blue Ribbon Online Free Speech Campaign!

Butterflies are free. T-shirts are $19.95 $24.95 $29.95
ArthurWankspittle
Slavering Minister of Auto-erotic Insinuation

Post by ArthurWankspittle »

Arthur Rubin wrote:
ArthurWankspittle wrote:Maybe that was what was going on here: http://www.myfoxdfw.com/dpp/news/unusua ... -Armadillo
http://www.myfoxdfw.com/dpp/news/unusual/101811-Man-Allegedly-Beat-Woman-with-Frozen-Armadillo wrote:Detectives have been unable to find the man, who could face assault charges.
Shouldn't that be "battery", rather than "assault"? I mean, I would have lost several points if I made that mistake on my midterm.....
IANAL but he allegedly threw it at her twice. I don't know the state laws or interpretations of the difference between assault and battery, but I guess it would be easier to get an assault conviction for throwing the armadillo than a battery conviction which may require the proof that the armadillo caused the injuries found on the woman. ( Not even the CSI franchise would claim to have a series of samples of frozen armadillo injuries.) Plus the article will have been written by a journalist not a lawyer.
"There is something about true madness that goes beyond mere eccentricity." Will Self
fortinbras
Princeps Wooloosia

Post by fortinbras »

The odd thing is that the insurance industry recently unveiled a new and complicated bit of software for hospitals that enable them to specify any of thousands of medical conditions on their paperwork, rather than vague descriptions like "knife wound", and one of those - which the newspapers fastened on - was a list of "armadillo-connected injuries".
Demosthenes
Grand Exalted Keeper of Esoterica

Post by Demosthenes »

fortinbras wrote:The odd thing is that the insurance industry recently unveiled a new and complicated bit of software for hospitals that enable them to specify any of thousands of medical conditions on their paperwork, rather than vague descriptions like "knife wound", and one of those - which the newspapers fastened on - was a list of "armadillo-connected injuries".
The Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services were the ones that came up with that list, as federally mandated by HIPAA.
Demo.