New S.C. article...

Moderators: Prof, Judge Roy Bean

add2cart

New S.C. article...

Post by add2cart »

http://www.kansascity.com/2011/11/26/32 ... rding.html
“I think they truly believe in what they’re doing,” said Craig Watz, supervisory special agent in the bureau’s Kansas City office. “That doesn’t make it legal.”
Pottapaug1938
Supreme Prophet (Junior Division)

Re: New S.C. article...

Post by Pottapaug1938 »

"Fact is that which enough people believe. Truth is determined by how fervently they believe it."

-- Charles P. Pierce's Third Great Premise of Idiot America
"We've been attacked by the intelligent, educated segment of the culture." -- Pastor Ray Mummert, Dover, PA, during an attempt to introduce creationism -- er, "intelligent design", into the Dover Public Schools
Unidyne
Admiral of the Quatloosian Seas
Admiral of the Quatloosian Seas

Post by Unidyne »

"Fanaticism consists in redoubling your effort when you have forgotten your aim."

George Santayana, Life of Reason (1905)
Irony: The Ayn Rand® Institute (ARI) is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization.
LPC
Trusted Keeper of the All True FAQ

Post by LPC »

I like the title: "Sovereign citizens: Crackpots, crooks or defenders of liberty?"

They got two out three right, which isn't bad.
Dan Evans
Foreman of the Unified Citizens' Grand Jury for Pennsylvania
(And author of the Tax Protester FAQ: evans-legal.com/dan/tpfaq.html)
"Nothing is more terrible than ignorance in action." Johann Wolfgang von Goethe.
notorial dissent
A Balthazar of Quatloosian Truth

Post by notorial dissent »

The thing is, that the only "liberty" they are usually defending is them not having to play by the same rules to rest of us have to. They're special you know, it doesn't apply to them.
The fact that you sincerely and wholeheartedly believe that the “Law of Gravity” is unconstitutional and a violation of your sovereign rights, does not absolve you of adherence to it.
Pottapaug1938

Post by Pottapaug1938 »

notorial dissent wrote:The thing is, that the only "liberty" they are usually defending is them not having to play by the same rules to rest of us have to. They're special you know, it doesn't apply to them.
That's why I sometimes think that our national motto is no longer "E Pluribus Unum" or "In God We Trust" but (said in the tones of a petulant child) "I Doan' WANNA Do That, An' You Can't MAKE Me!"
"We've been attacked by the intelligent, educated segment of the culture." -- Pastor Ray Mummert, Dover, PA, during an attempt to introduce creationism -- er, "intelligent design", into the Dover Public Schools
Gregg
Conde de Quatloo

Post by Gregg »

E Pluribus Unum is latin for "out of many, one"
Supreme Commander of The Imperial Illuminati Air Force
Your concern is duly noted, filed, folded, stamped, sealed with wax and affixed with a thumbprint in red ink, forgotten, recalled, considered, reconsidered, appealed, denied and quietly ignored.
Pottapaug1938

Post by Pottapaug1938 »

Gregg wrote:E Pluribus Unum is latin for "out of many, one"
Yeah; but now the "one" isn't a collective "us", but an individual "ME, ME, ME!!!!!"
Gregg
Conde de Quatloo

Post by Gregg »

CaptainKickback wrote:What is Latin for, "Mine. mine, mine! Gimme, gimme, gimme!"?

Vote Democrat
Your concern is duly noted, filed, folded, stamped, sealed with wax and affixed with a thumbprint in red ink, forgotten, recalled, considered, reconsidered, appealed, denied and quietly ignored.
Paul

Post by Paul »

Mike Royko used to claim that Chicago's motto (Urbs in Horto -- the city in the garden) should be Ubi est meum? -- Where's mine?

And, surprisingly enough, Greg, Chicago is famous for voting Democrat.
Doktor Avalanche
Asst Secretary, the Dept of Jesters

Post by Doktor Avalanche »

CaptainKickback wrote:What is Latin for, "Mine. mine, mine! Gimme, gimme, gimme!"?
As near as I can tell:
Meis Meo Meum!
Source: Cassell's Latin-English Dictionary.

I can't render a proper translation for "gimme, gimme, gimme".
The laissez-faire argument relies on the same tacit appeal to perfection as does communism. - George Soros
grixit
Recycler of Paytriot Fantasies

Post by grixit »

gimme: me date (may dah-tay)
mine: meum (may-oum)
Three cheers for the Lesser Evil!

10 . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 2
. . . . . . Dr Pepper
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . .. . . 4
Number Six
Hereditary Margrave of Mooloosia

Post by Number Six »

notorial dissent wrote:The thing is, that the only "liberty" they are usually defending is them not having to play by the same rules to rest of us have to. They're special you know, it doesn't apply to them.
"Special" and warped. The ones that I knew, like Walter Terhune of Barton, VT and "Reverend" Gary Hartsock of E. Lyndon, Vermont believed the laws were for the "slaves" not for themselves. Oh yes, some laws applied to every one, those that every civilization has enforced. But these modern pesky driving and tax laws simply do not apply to men of faith. That at least is the theory. By following "Caesar", submitting to his tyrranical dictates and the Beast system, you actually lose your eternal salvation, your soul as you grovel for your materialistic pottage, like Esau who despised his birthright. By having insurance, you abdicate your trust in God, who would provide for you 100% if you would just let go of your trust in the system. And by filing tax forms you actually make yourself and your family surety for the federal debt.

They leave quite a trail of unnecessary suffering, trying to "groom" recruits, Sandusky-like, so that the battle against the evil system will one day be won.

Narcissistic DSM IV Criteria

A pervasive pattern of grandiosity (in fantasy or behavior), need for admiration, and lack of empathy, beginning by early adulthood and present in a variety of contexts, as indicated by five (or more) of the following:

(1) has a grandiose sense of self-importance (e.g., exaggerates achievements and talents, expects to be recognized as superior without commensurate achievements)

(2) is preoccupied with fantasies of unlimited success, power, brilliance, beauty, or ideal love

(3) believes that he or she is "special" and unique and can only be understood by, or should associate with, other special or high-status people (or institutions)

(4) requires excessive admiration

(5) has a sense of entitlement, i.e., unreasonable expectations of especially favorable treatment or automatic compliance with his or her expectations

(6) is interpersonally exploitative, i.e., takes advantage of others to achieve his or her own ends

(7) lacks empathy: is unwilling to recognize or identify with the feelings and needs of others

(8) is often envious of others or believes that others are envious of him or her

(9) shows arrogant, haughty behaviors or attitudes
'There are two kinds of injustice: the first is found in those who do an injury, the second in those who fail to protect another from injury when they can.' (Roman. Cicero, De Off. I. vii)

'Choose loss rather than shameful gains.' (Chilon Fr. 10. Diels)
JamesVincent
A Councilor of the Kabosh

Post by JamesVincent »

Number Six wrote: (1) has a grandiose sense of self-importance (e.g., exaggerates achievements and talents, expects to be recognized as superior without commensurate achievements)

(2) is preoccupied with fantasies of unlimited success, power, brilliance, beauty, or ideal love

(3) believes that he or she is "special" and unique and can only be understood by, or should associate with, other special or high-status people (or institutions)

(4) requires excessive admiration

(5) has a sense of entitlement, i.e., unreasonable expectations of especially favorable treatment or automatic compliance with his or her expectations

(6) is interpersonally exploitative, i.e., takes advantage of others to achieve his or her own ends

(7) lacks empathy: is unwilling to recognize or identify with the feelings and needs of others

(8) is often envious of others or believes that others are envious of him or her

(9) shows arrogant, haughty behaviors or attitudes
When did you meet my ex-wife? And what does it mean if they meet 8 out of the 9?
Disciple of the cross and champion in suffering
Immerse yourself into the kingdom of redemption
Pardon your mind through the chains of the divine
Make way, the shepherd of fire

Avenged Sevenfold "Shepherd of Fire"
Gregg
Conde de Quatloo

Post by Gregg »

Paul wrote:Mike Royko used to claim that Chicago's motto (Urbs in Horto -- the city in the garden) should be Ubi est meum? -- Where's mine?

And, surprisingly enough, Greg, Chicago is famous for voting Democrat.
Especially the dead ones.