Farting Cow Emeritus

Re: Schaeffer Cox trial underway in Alaska

Post by davids »

You were saying? :?:
Lambkin
Warder of the Quatloosian Gibbet

Post by Lambkin »

http://www.newsminer.com/news/local_new ... ote]Former Fairbanks militia leader Schaeffer Cox previously took a dim view of the state and federal courts but in his opening appeals brief last week said he's willing to play by the court's rules to win his exoneration.[/quote]
"As to the 'Sovereign Citizen' stuff, I was not even familiar with that label until the prosecution accused me of being one," he wrote in a brief filed May 8. "As far as I can tell, it is a nonsensical contradiction in terms."
"I can assure you that I am not about to blow my one shot at a meaningful appellate review by filling a bunch of 'gobbledygook' that this Court cannot understand, much less grant relief on," he wrote.

Cox is asking the appeals court both to overturn his conviction and, more immediately, to allow him to represent himself on appeal.
Gregg
Conde de Quatloo

Post by Gregg »

He says this..
"I can assure you that I am not about to blow my one shot at a meaningful appellate review"
and you have a glimmer of hope that he's had an epiphany of some kind. Then he does this..
Cox is asking the appeals court both to overturn his conviction and, more immediately, to allow him to represent himself on appeal.
And then you realize, nope, he had a Paul Simon moment instead, he's "Still Crazy After All These Years"
Supreme Commander of The Imperial Illuminati Air Force
Your concern is duly noted, filed, folded, stamped, sealed with wax and affixed with a thumbprint in red ink, forgotten, recalled, considered, reconsidered, appealed, denied and quietly ignored.
notorial dissent
A Balthazar of Quatloosian Truth

Post by notorial dissent »

This is just my opinion, but based on what I have seen of Cox to date.

He is an incredibly charming and egotistical individual. I think he has bought in to his own PR and is convinced that he knows more than the professionals, where have we heard that before???, and that he is a poor innocent much trod upon lamb or piety and sanity. All the veriest of BS. Unlike many criminal defendants who I have thought shouldn't be let out without a keeper, Cox is quite intelligent and capable, as well as manipulative. If he wants to run his appeal instead of letting his attorney, who incidentally saved him from a great deal more jail time than he got, then so be it. I am firmly convinced that he thinks he can sweet talk an appeals court in to letting him go. I really don't think so, and I doubt his claim to not be going to go sovcit even more so. I don't think he can resist. I can't see them not letting him proceed pro se, I just don't foresee the outcome he does.
The fact that you sincerely and wholeheartedly believe that the “Law of Gravity” is unconstitutional and a violation of your sovereign rights, does not absolve you of adherence to it.
davids
Farting Cow Emeritus

Post by davids »

I think that if this guy doesn't have representation, that likely means one thing: he can't get someone to go sov enough for him on his appeal.

There is SOME chance that he is falling victim to the trendy (as I have seen it among non-sovs) belief that one is somehow better off without a lawyer and in pro se / pro per. But that just isn't the case, not when Lincoln said such persons had a fool for a client and a jackass for a lawyer, nor at the present.

Whenever someone plays the sovcit semantics game of saying they aren't a sovereign citizen because either such things don't exist/are a "contradiction in terms" that is a dead giveaway you are dealing with what we informally refer to as sovereign citizens. They all have their preferred magical lingo, but it doesn't really matter what we call them, they look, act, litigate and probably smell like sovereign citizens, too. Him saying that he won't throw his appeal away on things the Court doesn't even recognize, tempered by his word game about sovereign citizens, tells me he is going to still go there. And after there, greybar.
KickahaOta
Admiral of the Quatloosian Seas
Admiral of the Quatloosian Seas

Post by KickahaOta »

It seems like another example of the obsession with words instead of what they represent. At some point they have to at least grudgingly take notice of all the cases where a judge has considered their arguments, called them sovereign citizen nonsense, and dismissed them. Someone applying normal legal reasoning -- or just normal reasoning -- would say 'Okay, those arguments don't work.' But the true believers, with their cargo-cult approach to law, just say 'Okay, when the judge uses the words "sovereign citizen", it means that things are about to go very badly. Therefore it is vitally important that I avoid and reject the words "sovereign citizen."'
notorial dissent
A Balthazar of Quatloosian Truth

Post by notorial dissent »

The thing is, that the person before didn't say the magic words in the right order, or didn't say the right magic words, but the current fool won't make the same mistake and the judge will then magically have to accede to his wishes and release him. Yuppers, works every time...every time....every time.... That's why the call them magic words and they have so much faith in them.
The fact that you sincerely and wholeheartedly believe that the “Law of Gravity” is unconstitutional and a violation of your sovereign rights, does not absolve you of adherence to it.
grixit
Recycler of Paytriot Fantasies

Post by grixit »

In one of Roger Zelazny's books (whose title i forget at the moment) he features a demon with a name longer than some paragraphs. It takes a perfect pronunciation of the name to be able to command the demon. But a less than perfect pronunciation will still summon him.
Three cheers for the Lesser Evil!

10 . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 2
. . . . . . Dr Pepper
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . .. . . 4
akbill
Gunners Mate
Gunners Mate

Post by akbill »

So we got a publisher and release date for the Book on Cox looks like we'll be releasing 6 January or so 2016
akbill
Gunners Mate
Gunners Mate

Post by akbill »

Make that 6 January or so 2017 I got all excited were signed to Ben Bella but I was a year off
JamesVincent
A Councilor of the Kabosh

Post by JamesVincent »

grixit wrote:In one of Roger Zelazny's books (whose title i forget at the moment) he features a demon with a name longer than some paragraphs. It takes a perfect pronunciation of the name to be able to command the demon. But a less than perfect pronunciation will still summon him.
That's actually a common thing in roleplaying. However, if you mess the name up or have an inadequate summoning circle then you don't have full control of the demon. Demons usually aren't very happy about being summoned. Chaos and blood ensues.
Disciple of the cross and champion in suffering
Immerse yourself into the kingdom of redemption
Pardon your mind through the chains of the divine
Make way, the shepherd of fire

Avenged Sevenfold "Shepherd of Fire"
grixit
Recycler of Paytriot Fantasies

Post by grixit »

JamesVincent wrote:
grixit wrote:In one of Roger Zelazny's books (whose title i forget at the moment) he features a demon with a name longer than some paragraphs. It takes a perfect pronunciation of the name to be able to command the demon. But a less than perfect pronunciation will still summon him.
That's actually a common thing in roleplaying. However, if you mess the name up or have an inadequate summoning circle then you don't have full control of the demon. Demons usually aren't very happy about being summoned. Chaos and blood ensues.
Yes, but i'm always the GM in such situations, i'd never try that as a player.
Three cheers for the Lesser Evil!

10 . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 2
. . . . . . Dr Pepper
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . .. . . 4
ArthurWankspittle
Slavering Minister of Auto-erotic Insinuation

Post by ArthurWankspittle »

There was a radio short story years back where someone accidentally summons a demon because they are muttering words trying to solve a crossword clue. Shortly after appearing and finding out how he was summoned the demon realises that he's going to get summoned by thousands of people that morning as they all attempt the newspaper crossword.
"There is something about true madness that goes beyond mere eccentricity." Will Self
Thule
Tragedian of Sovereign Mythology

Post by Thule »

Found this today, an interview with one of the informants in the Cox case. Cracked is a humor site, but they run more serious interviews from time to time.

http://www.cracked.com/personal-experie ... a-fbi.html
Survivor of the Dark Agenda Whistleblower Award, August 2012.
akbill
Gunners Mate
Gunners Mate

Post by akbill »

So my book on the Cox case is finally available for pre order on Amazon

If self promotion like this isn't allowed just yell at me if it is for everybody that pre orders Send me a PM and I'll get you a personally signed signature page

https://www.amazon.com/Blood-Patriots-A ... ill+fulton
akbill
Gunners Mate
Gunners Mate

Post by akbill »

SO the book about Cox and friends is shipping and to cap it off we just inked a development deal to turn it into a TV show

been a hell of a week

https://www.amazon.com/Blood-Patriots-A ... 1944648070
The Observer
Further Moderator

Post by The Observer »

Impressive, you actually got a book on sovruns published and available to buy before Demo's book.
"I could be dead wrong on this" - Irwin Schiff

"Do you realize I may even be delusional with respect to my income tax beliefs? " - Irwin Schiff