Schaeffer Cox trial underway in Alaska

Moderators: Prof, Judge Roy Bean

Demosthenes
Grand Exalted Keeper of Esoterica

Schaeffer Cox trial underway in Alaska

Post by Demosthenes »

http://www.alaskadispatch.com/article/t ... s?page=0,1

And there's a blogger in the courtroom. (Not me. It's cold in Alaska.)

http://www.themudflats.net/2012/05/07/t ... 6kvietYtRo
Demo.
Montana Notasovrun
Cannoneer
Cannoneer
Location: I was turned loose somewhere in the middle of Montana

Re: Schaeffer Cox trial underway in Alaska

Post by Montana Notasovrun »

Thanks Demo for the update. We have a "Liberty Bell" organization here in Montana. Mr. Cox had some interaction with these people. I have a curiosity about this outfit and will be paying attention. We have so many varieties of sovruns here that the entertainment never stops. My hope is that none of them actually become as dangerous as they have become in their own minds.
notorial dissent
A Balthazar of Quatloosian Truth

Post by notorial dissent »

I don't know how accurate or unbiased the blogger is, but I do like the style. Will be interesting to see where this finally goes.
The fact that you sincerely and wholeheartedly believe that the “Law of Gravity” is unconstitutional and a violation of your sovereign rights, does not absolve you of adherence to it.
Montana Notasovrun
Cannoneer
Cannoneer

In Day 2 of the trial, the blogger included stick man sketches that were really entertaining.
GlimDropper
Admiral of the Quatloosian Seas

Post by GlimDropper »

Montana Notasovrun wrote:In Day 2 of the trial, the blogger included stick man sketches that were really entertaining.
I love the "eerily lifelike courtroom sketches" on the Second Day of coverage. But I think they make Assistant U.S. Attorney Lamoureux look a little slutty. I mean, the gown doesn't go over her shoulders and it looks like if she were to bend over the court could see her, briefs so to speak.

Thanks for the link Demo.
Montana Notasovrun
Cannoneer
Cannoneer

Day 3, the blog continues with less of the eerily lifelike sketches. There were many pictures of what the evidence looked like. The blogger is correct, boring, and will take a lot longer to get through all of it. There were several searches conducted. The blogger's take on the late challenged juror and Cox's switch from newsboy to "get out of my way" were interesting. I'm enjoying this blogger's style.
Demosthenes
Grand Exalted Keeper of Esoterica

Post by Demosthenes »

I love the stick figures most of all.
Demo.
ArthurWankspittle
Slavering Minister of Auto-erotic Insinuation

Post by ArthurWankspittle »

Small world; I thought the name sounded familiar. A poster on the Mudflats blog seems to have identified the Denny's sovereign citizen judge
http://www.themudflats.net/2012/05/23/m ... ent-293669
as no other than Raymond Leo Jarlik-Bell, as featured here: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=7463
"There is something about true madness that goes beyond mere eccentricity." Will Self
ashlynne39
Illuminated Legate of Illustrious Legs

Post by ashlynne39 »

Why does it seem like all common law trials are held at Dennys? Does Denny's support the Sovereign Citizen movement or are they just the most convenient location? And where do they hold these trials? Right in the middle of the restaurant with customers coming in and out? And, why do they even have a judge and jury when it seems like they already know the outcome before the common law trial starts? I find this fascinating and wouldn't it be fun to serve on their 36 man common law jury and vote against the person just for fun.
Kestrel
Endangerer of Stupid Species

Post by Kestrel »

ashlynne39 wrote:Why does it seem like all common law trials are held at Dennys? Does Denny's support the Sovereign Citizen movement or are they just the most convenient location?
Because HoJo's closed and Denny's is everywhere, unlike Shoney's and Big Boy.

And it's open all night like iHop, but it's cheaper. That's important when you're a sov'run who swore off FRNs, conducting a 3am gathering of the Sanhedrin to condemn rabble-rousing preachers.
"Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes your time and annoys the pig." - Robert Heinlein
GlimDropper

Post by GlimDropper »

The best thing about a common law trial at Denny's is even if the verdict doesn't go in your favor the standards of evidence and record keeping are so lax that it's easy to prove reversible error when you appeal your case to the International House of Pancakes in the Hague.
Gregg
Conde de Quatloo

Post by Gregg »

A lot of Denny's (and Shoneys, IHoP, Perkins and places like that) have a little alcove room, often with a corrugated room divider. In the day, the actively recruited local organizations like The Lions Club, Toastmasters, etc... and some even had AV Equipment, ALL of them had a Podium which is a big draw groups like that (really).

Believe it or not, they screened for who they'd let use these rooms, and getting one lent a little bit of credulity to the group. As the demand waned this went out the window and various less civic minded people began to use them to pitch, often to seniors, various things from health insurance programs, time share sales, retirement seminars by brokers and stuff like that. Stuff that I kind of consider almost scams. I am of the mind that a lot of the early Sovereign groups that started gatherings at these places were the same people who also got their retirement investment programs at them. To these people, Denny's is a classy place, it has all the cache and majesty of a courthouse.

The "low rent" batshit crazy Injun Tribal Courts, Militia Courts Martial and such are moving into the 1980s and getting exciting new venues. They seem to flock to KFCs, Arbys and Dunkin Donuts. White Castle will kindly ask them to leave, which convinces me there are still some things sacred.
Supreme Commander of The Imperial Illuminati Air Force
Your concern is duly noted, filed, folded, stamped, sealed with wax and affixed with a thumbprint in red ink, forgotten, recalled, considered, reconsidered, appealed, denied and quietly ignored.
JamesVincent
A Councilor of the Kabosh

Post by JamesVincent »

Gregg wrote: White Castle will kindly ask them to leave, which convinces me there are still some things sacred.
I would like to have a White Castle somewhere near me. The last one I remember being open anywhere near here was in Wheaton and its been so long since Ive been there I dont know if its still, there.
Disciple of the cross and champion in suffering
Immerse yourself into the kingdom of redemption
Pardon your mind through the chains of the divine
Make way, the shepherd of fire

Avenged Sevenfold "Shepherd of Fire"
Famspear
Knight Templar of the Sacred Tax

Post by Famspear »

Here's a recent report on the trial:

Jill Burke, "Moving testimony brings Alaska militia leader Schaeffer Cox to tears", May 24, 2012, Alaska Dispatch,

at:

http://www.alaskadispatch.com/article/m ... -cox-tears

EDIT: Here's another.

Jill Burke, "Diplomat? Threatening terrorist? What was Schaeffer Cox's intent?", May 17, 2012, Alaska Dispatch,

at:

http://www.alaskadispatch.com/article/d ... ?page=full
"My greatest fear is that the audience will beat me to the punch line." -- David Mamet
Lambkin
Warder of the Quatloosian Gibbet

Post by Lambkin »

http://www.alaskadispatch.com/article/d ... l[quote]On Monday, after listening for weeks as prosecutors and witnesses characterized him as a narcissistic fugitive willing to break the law in defiance of the justice system, including with violence and murder, it was Cox's turn. He wanted to let jurors know he'd been misunderstood -- that his words, through someone else's interpretation, had become twisted. [/quote]
ArthurWankspittle

I'm waiting for the mudflats report. I'll also be waiting for the prosecution cross-examination as, among other things, Cox will have some explaining to do regarding his boasts about the militia (3500? More like 35 and 1 in 3 seemed to be working for the Feds) and his attitude to sections of the authorities, like Child Protection. I feel his best defence against the conspiracy charge(s) is that he admits being a braggart and BS merchant. Likely? No.
Also Norm Olson popped up in the comments there at one point.

What is it about Militias and weaponry? I can barely understand the need for them in the first place but there seems to be an arms race going on in terms of what equipment they have. Not content with automatic small arms, Cox's gang allegedly have gone looking for .50 cal machine guns, grenades, explosives and silencers. To protect who from what? In the event of a catastrophic breakdown of infrastructure, what are they expecting? Thousands of crack fuelled looters? A platoon of Al-Qaeda to turn up? Zombie apocalypse? Because that's what it looks like they are preparing for. Which brings me to a second point. Gaddafi for one, and several other terrorist organisations, would be quite willing to supply equipment to people on the basis that they have the same enemy. Done through a series of intermediaries, how many Coxes would be willing or desperate enough to get their hands on say, RPGs or quality explosive?
"There is something about true madness that goes beyond mere eccentricity." Will Self
Burnaby49
Quatloosian Ambassador to the CaliCanadians
Quatloosian Ambassador to the CaliCanadians

Post by Burnaby49 »

Silencers are the deal-breaker. The rest of the list, as insanely overboard as it is, can be excused as legitimate (albeit excessively large-scale) defensive weaponry if the fascist American state comes after your peaceful sovereign Christian family enclave. However silencers are pointless in any defensive combat. Their only use is criminal, to facilitate undetected peacetime murder.
"Yes Burnaby49, I do in fact believe all process servers are peace officers. I've good reason to believe so." Robert Menard in his May 28, 2015 video "Process Servers".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XeI-J2PhdGs
ArthurWankspittle

Burnaby49 wrote:Silencers are the deal-breaker.
I can agree with that. Closely followed by grenades but there is the issue that none of them were operationally ready.
Burnaby49 wrote:The rest of the list, as insanely overboard as it is, can be excused as legitimate (albeit excessively large-scale) defensive weaponry if the fascist American state comes after your peaceful sovereign Christian family enclave.
Two points: I think a fully auto .50 cal is illegal and they were talking about how to machine parts to make it fully auto. As the fascist American state is likely to use black helicopters or drones, then presumably you would be allowed SAMs to defend yourself. Cox and his buddies must have overlooked that one or forget to put it on the shopping list.
Burnaby49 wrote: However silencers are pointless in any defensive combat. Their only use is criminal, to facilitate undetected peacetime murder.
They could be used to facilitate undetected wartime murder?

Back to Schaeffer Cox himself, hopefully he'll be asked to explain the 6 man FBI hit squad story when he's on the stand, too.
notorial dissent
A Balthazar of Quatloosian Truth

Post by notorial dissent »

In one sense, I am/was really surprised that he actually testified at his trial, since it means the mean old prosecution will eventually get whack at him, and in another, I will be surprised if his defense attorneys will be able to keep his mouth shut enough to keep from really sending him up the river. Schaeffer strikes me as having an over abundance of ego and an under abundance of common sense-at least based on prior actions.
The fact that you sincerely and wholeheartedly believe that the “Law of Gravity” is unconstitutional and a violation of your sovereign rights, does not absolve you of adherence to it.
Cathulhu
Order of the Quatloos, Brevet First Class

Post by Cathulhu »

notorial dissent wrote:In one sense, I am/was really surprised that he actually testified at his trial, since it means the mean old prosecution will eventually get whack at him, and in another, I will be surprised if his defense attorneys will be able to keep his mouth shut enough to keep from really sending him up the river. Schaeffer strikes me as having an over abundance of ego and an under abundance of common sense-at least based on prior actions.
I think that very likely as well. I think if the prosecutors have any common sense, they'll be giving him some rope around now...
Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to. T. Pratchett
Always be a moving target. L.M. Bujold