Schaeffer Cox trial underway in Alaska

Moderators: Prof, Judge Roy Bean

Famspear
Knight Templar of the Sacred Tax

Re: Schaeffer Cox trial underway in Alaska

Post by Famspear »

Demosthenes wrote:I've seen quite a few animal cruelty cases involving sovs as well.
That's appalling. If you're gonna keep a sovereign as a pet, you oughta treat 'im well, give 'im food every day, keep his water bowl replenished, and take 'im to the veterinarian for his shots.

:twisted:
:Axe:
"My greatest fear is that the audience will beat me to the punch line." -- David Mamet
Demosthenes
Grand Exalted Keeper of Esoterica

Post by Demosthenes »

Famspear wrote:
Demosthenes wrote:I've seen quite a few animal cruelty cases involving sovs as well.
That's appalling. If you're gonna keep a sovereign as a pet, you oughta treat 'im well, give 'im food every day, keep his water bowl replenished, and take 'im to the veterinarian for his shots.

Sounds like the prison system.
Demo.
notorial dissent
A Balthazar of Quatloosian Truth

Post by notorial dissent »

That I hadn't seen, but certainly comes as no surprise, you know, start small, work your way up the ladder from things less able to defend themselves to bigger things that can't defend themselves like children and some women. Shows how big and tough and sovrun you are. Along with a few other issues I'm sure you've noticed.
Famspear wrote:That's appalling. If you're gonna keep a sovereign as a pet, you oughta treat 'im well, give 'im food every day, keep his water bowl replenished, and take 'im to the veterinarian for his shots.

But could you ever really house break one, past experience says not!!! And don't forget getting them neutered. And I'm not cleaning up after one......
The fact that you sincerely and wholeheartedly believe that the “Law of Gravity” is unconstitutional and a violation of your sovereign rights, does not absolve you of adherence to it.
ArthurWankspittle
Slavering Minister of Auto-erotic Insinuation

Post by ArthurWankspittle »

Mudflats is saying Barney Coleman will not be retried on the deadlocked charge.
"There is something about true madness that goes beyond mere eccentricity." Will Self
ArthurWankspittle

Forgot to update this. Cox fired his lawyer because, well, he obviously didn't do a good enough job because Cox got convicted.
http://www.alaskadispatch.com/article/c ... s-attorney
"There is something about true madness that goes beyond mere eccentricity." Will Self
notorial dissent

Isn't that kind of on par with closing the barn door AFTER the horses got out????

While I'm sure Cox was "extremely unhappy" with the outcome, although it wasn't exactly a surprise to anyone with an IQ above room temperature, and most, if in fact not all, of it, I would say as the direct result of Cox's own big mouth. There's only so much that can be done when the defendant has all but taken out full page ads giving the details of his actions. I'm sure that Traverso's representation was not "up to par" in Cox's opinion, but then we already know what Cox's view of the world is more than a bit skewed. I do think he is going to have real difficulty showing that his representation was either incompetent or that it affected the way the trial came out. I think Cox pretty well determined that beforehand with his own words and actions, and I think Traverso did as well as he could under the circumstances.
The fact that you sincerely and wholeheartedly believe that the “Law of Gravity” is unconstitutional and a violation of your sovereign rights, does not absolve you of adherence to it.
Famspear

Post by Famspear »

On Thursday, July 26th, the Court granted Mr. Traverso's motion to withdraw.

On Friday, July 27th, CJA Attorney Peter Camiel was appointed as the attorney for Cox.
"My greatest fear is that the audience will beat me to the punch line." -- David Mamet
notorial dissent

Lucky him, Traverso.

Lucky him, Camiel!!!!!

I wonder how long it will be before he too is "not up to par", to suit Mr Cox.
Cathulhu
Order of the Quatloos, Brevet First Class

Post by Cathulhu »

Is it that the only "up to par" results Mr. Cox would find acceptable would include public approbation, and a special election to appoint him as governor? Rather than an abusive tax cheat?
Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to. T. Pratchett
Always be a moving target. L.M. Bujold
ArthurWankspittle

Famspear wrote:On Thursday, July 26th, the Court granted Mr. Traverso's motion to withdraw.

On Friday, July 27th, CJA Attorney Peter Camiel was appointed as the attorney for Cox.
I presume this is for an appeal, Camiel appears to be based in Seattle.
notorial dissent

Cathulhu wrote:Is it that the only "up to par" results Mr. Cox would find acceptable would include public approbation, and a special election to appoint him as governor? Rather than an abusive tax cheat?
Well, not getting convicted would probably have counted too, but I think you get the point.

I really don't see him being any more pleased with the current one since I don't think he is going to be able to make it all go away either, and I really rather suspect that is the only thing that will satisfy Cox, who according to reports was "shocked" he had been convicted on all charges.

He may do an Ed and Elaine and start firing his counsel as soon as he finds out they aren't going to file imaginary papers for him, and I suspect that will be what comes up next.
ArthurWankspittle

notorial dissent wrote:He may do an Ed and Elaine and start firing his counsel as soon as he finds out they aren't going to file imaginary papers for him, and I suspect that will be what comes up next.
Cox never struck me as a sovereign filer type and I don't recall him using the tactic in the past. I think he's more into his own little interpretation of the constitution and his own infallibility. The only falling out he had with his lawyer (or will have with the next lawyer) is their failure to convince a jury that Cox's version of the constitution is the correct one.
notorial dissent

Oh, I don't know, I think the sovrun court they held, for real in the back room of a Denny's, exonerating him of all those "silly" charges and complaints, before he got hit with the Fed charges and locked up, pretty well qualifies as far as I am concerned. Do I think he is as crazy as Ed and Elaine, no, but I think he has been drooling out of the same sippy cup. He certainly has the gov't conspiracy part down. I guess we'll see as the rest of his wasted life continues to unravel, and see who all else he ends up taking with him.
Demosthenes
Grand Exalted Keeper of Esoterica

Post by Demosthenes »

ArthurWankspittle wrote:
notorial dissent wrote:He may do an Ed and Elaine and start firing his counsel as soon as he finds out they aren't going to file imaginary papers for him, and I suspect that will be what comes up next.
Cox never struck me as a sovereign filer type and I don't recall him using the tactic in the past. I think he's more into his own little interpretation of the constitution and his own infallibility. The only falling out he had with his lawyer (or will have with the next lawyer) is their failure to convince a jury that Cox's version of the constitution is the correct one.
Cox is most definitely a sovereign. He was one of the "grand jurors" for RAP, participated the common law court proceedings at Denny's, and he went full sov in his 2010 weapons' charge.
Fast forward to December 15. The pre-trial hearing got off to a bad start when Cox refused to remove his trademark hat. Then a member of Cox’s militia entourage, Ken Thesing, announced that he was representing Cox, calling himself the militia leader’s “counsel before God.” Next, Cox attempted to serve the judge with a bundle of paperwork. “You’re now being treated as a criminal engaged in criminal activity, and you’re being served in that manner,” Cox told District Court Judge Patrick Hammers.
http://www.anchoragepress.com/news/infr ... 0f16e.html

He claims that a team of six hitmen were trying to assassinate him. I think he's just as crazy as E&E.
Demo.
Famspear

Post by Famspear »

notorial dissent wrote:....Do I think he is as crazy as Ed and Elaine, no, but I think he has been drooling out of the same sippy cup......
We'll have a better idea how crazy Schaeffer Cox is if, once he's in prison a while and has time to kill, he starts producing the same kind of creepy drawings that we saw coming from Ed:

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=6906
notorial dissent

I should have qualified my statement to say that I don't think Cox is senile crazy the way E&E are, but I think he is definitely way out there, and I do think in the scheme of things he is whole measures of magnitude more dangerous both potentially and really than they ever were.

I didn't know about the incident with him trying to serve papers on the judge, not that I am surprised, but I know he has been whining about the ebil gummint conspiracy against him, and the cover up about what really happened, and that they wouldn't let him present his "proof" before the jury, so I would say it is a pretty fair conclusion that he will get further out there as time moves along.
Famspear

Post by Famspear »

From the Fairbanks Daily News-Miner (excerpt):
The criminal charges against him are false, but they might be God’s punishment for being too prideful, Fairbanks militia leader Schaeffer Cox wrote in a letter from jail that is being circulated among Cox’s friends and supporters in anticipation of a sentencing hearing next month.

[ . . . ]

His letter, which is addressed to his friends and family, was sent out Friday as an email news bulletin to members of University Baptist Church, where Cox’s father is the pastor.

[ . . . ]

The letter takes the form of a spiritual confession and apology.

“To be passionate and full of zeal is good, but I was foolish and full of pride,” Cox wrote. “In my foolish pride, I got on my soapbox to wag my finger at the government for every little thing they did wrong. I taunted them until they had enough and manufactured a case against me. While the criminal charges that were brought by man are lies, the spiritual charges brought before God are true,” he said.
--from Sam Friedman, Aug. 4, 2012, "Fairbanks militial leader Schaeffer Cox sends out letter from jail," Fairbanks Daily News-Miner, at

http://newsminer.com/bookmark/19686208- ... -from-jail
ArthurWankspittle

Having had time to think some more about this, I suspect people are correct in that he, deep down, is into all the sovereign voodoo. I've been concentrating too much on the "little Napoleon" part of Cox, but the sovereign "paper terrorist" stuff is all there. Now it's all he has left and we could well be in for a series of hire and fire of lawyers until Cox finds one who is stupid enough to try filing his sovereign BS. Of course, that then won't work so we will then be into a series of hiring and firing stupid / naive lawyers willing to file a different brand of sovereign BS, trying to find the magic words that will work and exonerate Cox. This is going to be like a bad TV soap with episodes broadcast a few times a year (and directed by David Lynch?)
notorial dissent

Considering that he is now going for the religious angle, yeah, I think it is a pretty good bet of what is yet to come. Sweet innocent widdle didn't do anyfing wong, it was da mean nasty ole gubbmint taking revenge for him having said anyfing bad about them. I can just see him doing his sweet innocent aw shucks little boy routine. And we still get back to the "he didn't do anything wrong" routine by the end of it, which pretty much tells you where it will go.
Famspear

Post by Famspear »

Sentencing for Francis Schaeffer Cox is currently scheduled for November 13, 2012.

See docket entry 470, Aug. 9, 2012, United States v. Cox, case no. 3:11-cr-00022-RJB, U.S. District Court for the District of Alaska (Anchorage Div.).