Alternative Senator

Moderators: Prof, Judge Roy Bean

grixit
Recycler of Paytriot Fantasies

Alternative Senator

Post by grixit »

Iowa City Patch wrote: GOP Candidate Quits Iowa Senate Race to Become Senator of Alternative Government

Iowa City's Randi Shannon, who was the official Republican candidate on the ballot for Iowa Senate District 34, thanked her fellow Ron Paul supporters in announcing she's left the race to become a senator with the "original government."

By Scott Raynor, July 13, 2012
http://iowacity.patch.com/articles/iowa ... o-10654685
Three cheers for the Lesser Evil!

10 . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 2
. . . . . . Dr Pepper
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . .. . . 4
fortinbras
Princeps Wooloosia

Re: Alternative Senator

Post by fortinbras »

Geez, shades of Emperor Norton. Well, this brings the Restore the Republic crowd to the attention of the general public, at least briefly. A serious question: If she bails out of the election at this point, what happens to her campaign fund?

Something about "Alternative Senator". About twenty years ago the District of Columbia govt decided that it wanted to double down on its dream of getting voting representation in Congress, so it created an office for lobbying Congress for that purpose and called it "the Shadow Senator". And, lo and behold, Jesse Jackson came down from Chicago to run for that office against a handful of local activists, and, being Jesse Jackson, he won in a walk. It was the first and only time he actually ran for something other than President and the only time he ever won, and he didn't even finish out his term. He seemed not to understand that the title of Shadow Senator was sort of a local joke; he actually tried to get onto the floor of the Senate to make speeches, he thought he and his automobile were immune to traffic and parking tickets, and he complained when Congressional employees did not do his bidding. Actual progress of DC representation in Congress: zero. He seemed to have quit his post and gone back to Chicago without bothering to notify anyone in the DC govt.
grixit
Recycler of Paytriot Fantasies

Post by grixit »

Sad. But "shadow senator" would be a decent title for someone lobbying for the cause.

Personally, i don't want DC to be a state, but i'd like to see Columbia County, Md, with an oversized federal plaza at its core.

As for Jesse Jackson, back when he was exposed for adultery and embezzlement, i figured that he had finally proven to doubters that he should be taken seriously as a real politician who could get votes.
Three cheers for the Lesser Evil!

10 . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 2
. . . . . . Dr Pepper
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . .. . . 4
notorial dissent
A Balthazar of Quatloosian Truth

Post by notorial dissent »

Well, the GOP was by that much spared the embarrassment of having something like that running around pretending to be a Republican, although I guess if they can survive Paul, they might weather this one as well, but I really don't think they need to provide that much unintended comedy on a local level when things are so tight in IA. The fact that she swallowed the "Republic for" crap hook, line, and sinker does not speak well for her in the brights department either. I'd just love to see one of their "constitutional enforcement officers" sticking their noses into something local, more free, unintended comedy.
The fact that you sincerely and wholeheartedly believe that the “Law of Gravity” is unconstitutional and a violation of your sovereign rights, does not absolve you of adherence to it.
Kestrel
Endangerer of Stupid Species

Post by Kestrel »

She'd get more support if she tried to join Ministry of Magic and sought a position in the Department of Mysteries or the Office of Misinformation.

At least a few sane people believe that's real.
"Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes your time and annoys the pig." - Robert Heinlein
Gregg
Conde de Quatloo

Post by Gregg »

fortinbras wrote:Geez, shades of Emperor Norton. Well, this brings the Restore the Republic crowd to the attention of the general public, at least briefly. A serious question: If she bails out of the election at this point, what happens to her campaign fund?

Something about "Alternative Senator". About twenty years ago the District of Columbia govt decided that it wanted to double down on its dream of getting voting representation in Congress, so it created an office for lobbying Congress for that purpose and called it "the Shadow Senator". And, lo and behold, Jesse Jackson came down from Chicago to run for that office against a handful of local activists, and, being Jesse Jackson, he won in a walk. It was the first and only time he actually ran for something other than President and the only time he ever won, and he didn't even finish out his term. He seemed not to understand that the title of Shadow Senator was sort of a local joke; he actually tried to get onto the floor of the Senate to make speeches, he thought he and his automobile were immune to traffic and parking tickets, and he complained when Congressional employees did not do his bidding. Actual progress of DC representation in Congress: zero. He seemed to have quit his post and gone back to Chicago without bothering to notify anyone in the DC govt.
For some reason I thought Jesse Jackson, Jr. was the DC delegate to the House of Representatives? Am I wrong on that?
And if I am, doesn't DC have a non-voting member of Congress?
Supreme Commander of The Imperial Illuminati Air Force
Your concern is duly noted, filed, folded, stamped, sealed with wax and affixed with a thumbprint in red ink, forgotten, recalled, considered, reconsidered, appealed, denied and quietly ignored.
Gregg
Conde de Quatloo

Post by Gregg »

Okay, a little Google and I have found that Jesse Jr is a real congressman from Illinois, and is

wait for it....

under some suspicion right now for disappearing off the face of the earth and being treated for a "mood disorder". I'm sure there's an interesting story there, and equally sure we'll never find out what it is.
Your concern is duly noted, filed, folded, stamped, sealed with wax and affixed with a thumbprint in red ink, forgotten, recalled, considered, reconsidered, appealed, denied and quietly ignored.
fortinbras
Princeps Wooloosia

Post by fortinbras »

Gregg wrote: Something about "Alternative Senator". About twenty years ago the District of Columbia govt decided that it wanted to double down on its dream of getting voting representation in
For some reason I thought Jesse Jackson, Jr. was the DC delegate to the House of Representatives? Am I wrong on that?
And if I am, doesn't DC have a non-voting member of Congress?

DC has a non-voting delegate in the House, I believe presently it's Eleanor Holmes Norton, who is very good at it. The lobbying position created by the DC Govt which they (the DC govt) called "Shadow Senator" was taken by Jesse Jackson [Sr.], the sometime candidate for President, sometime friend of Farrakhan, whose support of Obama's candidacy in 2008 was lukewarm because Ol' Jesse had wanted to be the First Black President himself. His son, Jesse Jr., was elected to a real seat in the US House as Representative (for the Chicago area) and it appears that the stress is taking its toll on him.
Gregg
Conde de Quatloo

Post by Gregg »

I did a little more digging, did you know Jesse was so good at being the DC lobbyist that Congress passed a law forbidding the local government from spending money on lobbyists.

Also, Jesse Jr is generally credited with being the best congressman his district has had in quite some time, which is nice and also not saying much, the one he replaced in a special election was removed following a criminal conviction and expulsion by the house. (someone tell me if he is possibly the only Illinois politician who has not been convicted of a felony?)
Famspear
Knight Templar of the Sacred Tax

Post by Famspear »

Fox News has picked up the story. An excerpt:
An Iowa Republican has caused a stir after ending her run for state legislature, and then becoming a "senator" for a de facto shadow government known as the Republic for the United States of America.

The former candidate, Randi Shannon, defended the bizarre decision in an interview with FoxNews.com on Monday, and did her best to explain her reasons for doing so.

"I am one of many people so disgusted with the options out there," she said. "But the government we have has to go."

Organizers say the Republic for the United States of America was the original government in this country, before it was replaced 225 years ago by the "de facto corporation known as the United States."

Shannon told FoxNews.com the Republic is a bona-fide group, which appointed her to the temporary position of senator. She explained that the Republic was replaced in 1871 by a government given "carte blanche to fleece 'We the people.'".....
http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2012/07 ... decisions/
"My greatest fear is that the audience will beat me to the punch line." -- David Mamet
Kestrel
Endangerer of Stupid Species

Post by Kestrel »

Another flyspeck on the windshield of politics. Good riddance.

Her alternative government status isn't going to stop her from owing taxes to the real government.
"Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes your time and annoys the pig." - Robert Heinlein
notorial dissent

No, but if she's swallowed enough of the koolaid, and it sounds like she has drunk deep, I am betting we'll eventually hear more of her unintended comedy before we're too very much older.
The fact that you sincerely and wholeheartedly believe that the “Law of Gravity” is unconstitutional and a violation of your sovereign rights, does not absolve you of adherence to it.
Demosthenes
Grand Exalted Keeper of Esoterica

Post by Demosthenes »

Randi Shannon has been drinking the Koolaid for at least a year or two. Hard-core birther, 911 conspiracies, MLM marketer, yadda yadda yadda. She was seeking info from scammers Fred and Nina four months ago, and commenting on Alfred Adask video more than a year ago.

Bottom line, the Rebublican Party needs to vet their candidates.
Demo.
notorial dissent

Well, either than or just admit they have quit trying to field serious candidates and hand the elections to the opposition.
tracer
Order of the Llama - Senior Division

Post by tracer »

There is now a radio interview of her available on YouTube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RO3NjmyRj0o
tracer
Order of the Llama - Senior Division

Post by tracer »

From the Fox News story:
An Iowa Republican has caused a stir after ending her run for state legislature, and then becoming a "senator" for a de facto shadow government known as the Republic for the United States of America.
I object!

No U.S.-government-is-a-sham believer would ever spell the name of the True Government with the word "united" capitalized!