Cherron Marie Phillips indicted

Moderators: Prof, Judge Roy Bean

Burnaby49
Quatloosian Ambassador to the CaliCanadians
Quatloosian Ambassador to the CaliCanadians

Re: Cherron Marie Phillips indicted

Post by Burnaby49 »

Finally. I get to sit back and read a court report by a fellow Quartloosian! Well done Morrand, keep it up; the possibility for bizzare antics by the defendant are endless and we need someone on the spot to relate them.
"Yes Burnaby49, I do in fact believe all process servers are peace officers. I've good reason to believe so." Robert Menard in his May 28, 2015 video "Process Servers".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XeI-J2PhdGs
notorial dissent
A Balthazar of Quatloosian Truth

Post by notorial dissent »

Yes, this has been very enjoyable, clear and concise, and definitely conveys the flavor of the experience. Sorry about the headache, can well imagine.

I am quite sure she has every intention of disrupting these proceedings just like she has all the previous ones, but it doesn't sound like this judge is in the mood to play and has short circuited most of her obvious antics, and she is pouting as a result. She has no intention of cooperating, knows exactly what she is doing, and has every intention of derailing if at all possible. I think the fact that she has appointed counsel whether she likes it or not, and has been told in no uncertain terms, "NO, YOU'RE NOT", has put a severe kink in her plans. I'm actually surprised she showed up today, maybe even is dimly realizing that she isn't going to get any latitude this time and maybe had better behave, although I really doubt it. She has plenty of time to sink her case yet, and I am rather sure she'll find a way to do it before it is all over with.
The fact that you sincerely and wholeheartedly believe that the “Law of Gravity” is unconstitutional and a violation of your sovereign rights, does not absolve you of adherence to it.
LightinDarkness
Admiral of the Quatloosian Seas

Post by LightinDarkness »

Does anyone know what sort of jail time she is facing for this? I am curious to see what the range is and what she ends up with (the maximum, I would suppose).
wserra
Quatloosian Federal Witness
Quatloosian Federal Witness

Post by wserra »

Thanks, morrand, for the account. It is typical. I sat through one of these at counsel table (as legal advisor) and saw pieces of a couple of others (as an observer).

The same defendant who was a legal Rambo on paper frequently becomes a mouse in front of the jury. All that may change tomorrow, because these folks aren't wrapped too tight. But about now it starts to sink in to all but the densest brains that the Court isn't kidding.
"A wise man proportions belief to the evidence."
- David Hume
notorial dissent

Well, at least one would hope so, if only for her sake, but the stupid on some of these is impenetrable. She hasn't shown much in the way of sense so far, so not an auspicious start.
The fact that you sincerely and wholeheartedly believe that the “Law of Gravity” is unconstitutional and a violation of your sovereign rights, does not absolve you of adherence to it.
cynicalflyer

Post by cynicalflyer »

Cherron Phillips, the follower of the anti-government sovereign citizen movement on trial in federal court in Chicago, declined to testify in her own defense this morning, telling the judge, “I have not consented to this legal process.”
http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/loca ... 4124.story
"Where there is no law, but every man does what is right in his own eyes, there is the least of real liberty." -- General Henry M. Robert author, Robert's Rules of Order
AndyK
Illuminatian Revenue Supremo Emeritus

Post by AndyK »

The only remaining question:

Will the jurors hold out for lunch / dinner OR return a quick verdict to get back home?
Taxes are the price we pay for a free society and to cover the responsibilities of the evaders
Cathulhu
Order of the Quatloos, Brevet First Class

Post by Cathulhu »

After suffering two days of this, I think they deserve dinner. Pity it doesn't extend to cocktails, but I can see that would be potentially detrimental to the justice process.
Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to. T. Pratchett
Always be a moving target. L.M. Bujold
AndyK

Post by AndyK »

What a phenomenal idea to shorten jury deliberations.

Guarantee the jurors an open-bar cocktail party AFTER they return a verdict -- the length of the party inversely proportional to the amount of time they spend deliberating.
Taxes are the price we pay for a free society and to cover the responsibilities of the evaders
Cathulhu

Post by Cathulhu »

Hey, I like it! Sure would have shortened any of the four or five juries I've been on.

Funny story, sorta. In 1986 I was impaneled into a two month trial for sexual harassment. The brightest spot (aside from nicknaming everyone when we were sequestered) was the judge, a kind and personable man. I liked him so much that when the trial was over, I asked him to marry me--to my now spouse. The ceremony was in the same courtroom, and my mom sat in my chair in the jury box. Delightful man, that judge. A real sweetheart.
notorial dissent

What a delightful story, congratulations. Probably the best and happiest ending out of the whole sorry mess.
The Observer
Further Moderator

Post by The Observer »

Cathulhu wrote:I liked him so much that when the trial was over, I asked him to marry me--to my now spouse.
Let me get this straight. You found the guy guilty of sexual harassment, then married him?
"I could be dead wrong on this" - Irwin Schiff

"Do you realize I may even be delusional with respect to my income tax beliefs? " - Irwin Schiff
LPC
Trusted Keeper of the All True FAQ

Post by LPC »

Cherron Phillips, the follower of the anti-government sovereign citizen movement on trial in federal court in Chicago, declined to testify in her own defense this morning, telling the judge, “I have not consented to this legal process.”
Reading that, I'm reminded that there are good reasons for that kind of stuff to take place out of the presence of the jury.

But I'm pretty sure that Phillips doesn't understand those reasons, and probably thinks the judge is trying to hush something up. Which he is, but it's for her benefit.

One other comment: The defense lawyer's cross-examinations to show that the liens that were filed did no harm were probably all that he could do, but "harm" is not an element of the crime. Filing false liens is like discharging a weapon, or setting off an explosion. In the interests of public safety and order, the government can punish doing something that is dangerous or malicious regardless of whether or not anyone is harmed. (Notwithstanding the rants of Marc Stevens to the contrary.)
Dan Evans
Foreman of the Unified Citizens' Grand Jury for Pennsylvania
(And author of the Tax Protester FAQ: evans-legal.com/dan/tpfaq.html)
"Nothing is more terrible than ignorance in action." Johann Wolfgang von Goethe.
Cathulhu

Post by Cathulhu »

Obs, you're way off base. I was a jury member, engaged to a radio broadcaster, and stuck on a trial where A was suing B for sexual harassment. We found B guilty. Then when it was all over and we could actually speak with the lawyers and judge and clerks, I told the dear judge that my fiance and I were looking to get married without a damn dog and pony show, so did he do marriages? He smiled endearingly and agreed to marry me and my now-spouse (27 years and counting) who had nothing whatsoever to do with the trial or harassment. What on earth made you think my sweet baboo was the frickin' defendant?

Without the dog and pony show, our main wedding cost was for cases of champagne. Hey, I didn't say we didn't have a party. We actually had three.
AndyK

Post by AndyK »

Observer, either accidentally or intentionally, omitted :sarcasmon:
Cathulhu

Post by Cathulhu »

I'm sorry, but I did expect confusion from someone who defends Fox News.
Dr. Caligari
J.D., Miskatonic University School of Crickets

Post by Dr. Caligari »

Will the jurors hold out for lunch / dinner OR return a quick verdict to get back home?
According to the article linked above, they deliberated for two and a half hours and found her guilty.
Dr. Caligari
(Du musst Caligari werden!)
notorial dissent

Well, color me surprised. NOT!!!! I suspect the only real question left is for how long and what stupid thing she'll do next.
webhick
Illuminati Obfuscation: Black Ops Div

Post by webhick »

Cathulhu wrote:I'm sorry, but I did expect confusion from someone who defends Fox News.
The politics behind that comment has no place on this forum.
When chosen for jury duty, tell the judge "fortune cookie says guilty" - A fortune cookie
LightinDarkness

Post by LightinDarkness »

From the Chicago Tribune article:
On Wednesday, the years of frivolous court motions and often bizarre behavior caught up with Phillips as a federal jury convicted her of 10 counts of retaliation against a federal official by filing false claims.

Following the verdict, U.S. District Judge Michael Reagan ordered Phillips taken into custody, calling her “a paper terrorist” who “will continue on her misguided bent” if he allowed her to remain free until her sentencing in October.
VICTORY! After 2 years of trying every sov'run gibberish incantation in the book, a guilty verdict. And on top of it all, she gets to sit in custody until sentencing due to her antics.