My own experience with a "Sovrun"

Moderators: Prof, Judge Roy Bean

Unidyne
Admiral of the Quatloosian Seas

My own experience with a "Sovrun"

Post by Unidyne »

I'm not a lawyer, but I did have a run-in with a Sovereign back in 1994. It was my introduction to the 'logic" these folks have, and inspired me to do some research on these folks.

In 1994, I was looking for work and got a gig through a temp agency. A man, let's call him "Sovereign Sam", was working in the warehouse permamantly where I was temping, and his conversations were loaded with all sorts of conspiracy theories and the like. The slightest reference to anything he had "inside knowledge" of, he would start weaving a rug about how the (Illuminati/Rothchilds/et al) was behind it.

After three weeks, my stint ended, and I was sent to a few other appointments. Finally, I was sent to a firm with several other temps and, lo and behold, there was "Sovereign Sam" himself! I didn't ask why the warehouse let him go, since I was certain that he'd find some conspiracy to blame it on.

Part of the job involved taking glass panels and using a belt sander to remove the sharp edges, which involves wearing gloves, a respirator mask and goggles. As I was sweeping the floor on the other side of the room, I saw Sam at the belt sander, sans goggles and respirator. I dashed over, shut off the belt sander, and told him to get his safety gear on before the Department Manager saw him. He smiled and said he didn't need them because he was (his term) "government exempt".

How being a Sovereign Citizen was going to keep glass dust out of your eyes and lungs went beyond me, so I just waited for the Manager to show up...but he never did.

The next week, I was mopping the floor in the breakroom, right next to the Manager's office. The walls were so badly insulated (if they are at all) that I could easily hear what went on in his office. It was the manager, giving a talking-to to Sovereign Sam. It appeared that Sam had been caught NOT doing a few things because he was "government exempt", but he was being called on the carpet for not doing something else...which he said he didn't HAVE to do because...brace yourselves..."it (wasn't) White man's work".

The boss fired Sam there and then, but not before Sam warned his boss that if he fired him, he could "file a common-law suit" against him.

That was the last I ever saw or heard from Sam. As for me, I'm still working at the plant, having been moved from Glazier to Shipping Clerk/Janitor. I later asked the Department Manager (who has since gone to a competing firm) why I was hired and not the other temps. His answer: "You were the only one who didn't try to steal anything."

Well, have a happy holiday of your choosing and a happy new year.
Irony: The Ayn Rand® Institute (ARI) is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization.
Famspear
Knight Templar of the Sacred Tax

Re: My own experience with a "Sovrun"

Post by Famspear »

Darn good story, well told.
"My greatest fear is that the audience will beat me to the punch line." -- David Mamet
Unidyne

Post by Unidyne »

Famspear wrote:Darn good story, well told.
<bows>
Irony: The Ayn Rand® Institute (ARI) is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization.
gatsby
Pirates Mate
Pirates Mate

Post by gatsby »

Great story! The "white man's work" part, for me, was an unexpected plot twist.
fortinbras
Princeps Wooloosia

Post by fortinbras »

Heard one of those internet radio programs earlier this week (honestly not sure what radio station or which program) in which some sovrun type was running his mouth, very confidently, bragging how he was presently in a court case with the IRS and how he was mopping up the floor with them because HE was setting the rules about how quickly they had to respond and so forth. Obviously so soon after the beginning of the lawsuit that the judge hadn't yet stomped on his scheme, and presumably his first lawsuit or he'd know better.
Last edited by fortinbras on Sat Dec 22, 2012 5:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
notorial dissent
A Balthazar of Quatloosian Truth

Post by notorial dissent »

fortinbras wrote:... and presumably his first lawsuit or he's know better.
Assuming facts not in evidence, some of them never learn. PH prime example.

I think plain, old garden variety, idiot is a better/safer descriptor.
The fact that you sincerely and wholeheartedly believe that the “Law of Gravity” is unconstitutional and a violation of your sovereign rights, does not absolve you of adherence to it.