The Joys of Living "off the grid"

Moderators: Prof, Judge Roy Bean

Cathulhu
Order of the Quatloos, Brevet First Class

The Joys of Living "off the grid"

Post by Cathulhu »

Ran into this article recently:

http://www.mlive.com/news/jackson/index ... oy.html#/7

Looks like Sovrun dad sure started his kids out to do well in life, provided it's your life ambition to live in a box under the bridge or hitting people up for couch space. We're not likely to see this bunch here on the net, as it would appear reading is a problem.
Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to. T. Pratchett
Always be a moving target. L.M. Bujold
JamesVincent
A Councilor of the Kabosh

Re: The Joys of Living "off the grid"

Post by JamesVincent »

That is pretty sad. I know very well you can be off the grid but it doesn't take much to at least teach your kids the necessary things in life to survive. I know plenty of families that home school and their kids go to college. And not having a birthday is really sad. I know kids that don't have birthday parties, but not having a birthday at all. I didn't see where the Brooklyn connection was. Family?
Disciple of the cross and champion in suffering
Immerse yourself into the kingdom of redemption
Pardon your mind through the chains of the divine
Make way, the shepherd of fire

Avenged Sevenfold "Shepherd of Fire"
notorial dissent
A Balthazar of Quatloosian Truth

Post by notorial dissent »

The truly sad part is to what extent the kids are actually messed up at this point, and whether they will ever really be able to function at some level. Aside from the acculturation, how badly screwed up are they psychologically as a result of this caring and nurturing environment? Precedent in this is not good.
The fact that you sincerely and wholeheartedly believe that the “Law of Gravity” is unconstitutional and a violation of your sovereign rights, does not absolve you of adherence to it.
LPC
Trusted Keeper of the All True FAQ

Post by LPC »

The sins of the father are normally visited upon the third and fourth generations. Maybe in this case we can skip a couple of generations.
Dan Evans
Foreman of the Unified Citizens' Grand Jury for Pennsylvania
(And author of the Tax Protester FAQ: evans-legal.com/dan/tpfaq.html)
"Nothing is more terrible than ignorance in action." Johann Wolfgang von Goethe.
notorial dissent
A Balthazar of Quatloosian Truth

Post by notorial dissent »

Personally, I think the sins of the father ought to be visited on the father who committed them, and leave the innocents alone, they certainly did nothing other than have the misfortune of being born to such a waste.
The fact that you sincerely and wholeheartedly believe that the “Law of Gravity” is unconstitutional and a violation of your sovereign rights, does not absolve you of adherence to it.
Gregg
Conde de Quatloo

Post by Gregg »

As a non-profit organization, the Reading Writing Connection relies on donations and grants to purchase materials and pay instructors. A committee of people not employed by the organization also awards scholarships. Noah’s lessons, which cost about $2,800 a year, have been covered by scholarship for one year.

His scholarship, however, runs out in July and Robinson said there is a need to allocate funds that have been going toward Noah’s lessons to younger students on a waiting list. She, Noah and his instructor Lyn Sawicki hope caring people and community organizations will be willing to donate to the Reading Writing Connection to keep Noah’s lessons going.
Who'd like to join me to raise enough to fund him another year?

I'll go $100 if there's any interest. (I'll go $100 anyway, but it would be nice to make it a group thing). Or, as there may be some local donations and may not be enough interest here, even if 10 of us could go $140 to pay half? Lemme know.
Supreme Commander of The Imperial Illuminati Air Force
Your concern is duly noted, filed, folded, stamped, sealed with wax and affixed with a thumbprint in red ink, forgotten, recalled, considered, reconsidered, appealed, denied and quietly ignored.
Demosthenes
Grand Exalted Keeper of Esoterica

Post by Demosthenes »

Gregg wrote:
As a non-profit organization, the Reading Writing Connection relies on donations and grants to purchase materials and pay instructors. A committee of people not employed by the organization also awards scholarships. Noah’s lessons, which cost about $2,800 a year, have been covered by scholarship for one year.

His scholarship, however, runs out in July and Robinson said there is a need to allocate funds that have been going toward Noah’s lessons to younger students on a waiting list. She, Noah and his instructor Lyn Sawicki hope caring people and community organizations will be willing to donate to the Reading Writing Connection to keep Noah’s lessons going.
Who'd like to join me to raise enough to fund him another year?

I'll go $100 if there's any interest. (I'll go $100 anyway, but it would be nice to make it a group thing). Or, as there may be some local donations and may not be enough interest here, even if 10 of us could go $140 to pay half? Lemme know.
I'll match your $100.
Demo.
The Observer
Further Moderator

Post by The Observer »

I will go for the $100 match or if we only get 10 to sponsor, will match your $140.
"I could be dead wrong on this" - Irwin Schiff

"Do you realize I may even be delusional with respect to my income tax beliefs? " - Irwin Schiff
Gregg
Conde de Quatloo

Post by Gregg »

So does someone want to volunteer to take up a collection?
Your concern is duly noted, filed, folded, stamped, sealed with wax and affixed with a thumbprint in red ink, forgotten, recalled, considered, reconsidered, appealed, denied and quietly ignored.
Gregg
Conde de Quatloo

Post by Gregg »

Never mind, I didn't see that in the story they had a link for donations. I sent my donation and put a note in the paypal comments section (you have to click the "send special instructions to seller" button). I invited them to come and let us know how he's doing, too.

http://www.readingwritingconnection.org/ the "donate" link is at the bottom of the home page
LightinDarkness
Admiral of the Quatloosian Seas
Admiral of the Quatloosian Seas

Post by LightinDarkness »

I cant do $100 (PhD stipend + no scheduled arbitration cases = ramen for me!) but I am going to do $50, not much but hopefully every little bit helps! They are doing great work.
Cathulhu
Order of the Quatloos, Brevet First Class

Post by Cathulhu »

I just gave $350 to a starving student I know; I also just committed to pay $1500 for a sculpture for a dear artist friend who needs the money for heart doctoring. (The piece is worth $300, but we go way back and I want him to keep his pride.) I'll do what I can, and I cannot say how proud I am to be a Quatloosian. Damn, I'm misting up!
Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to. T. Pratchett
Always be a moving target. L.M. Bujold
JamesVincent
A Councilor of the Kabosh

Post by JamesVincent »

I'm going to try to match LightinDarkness's $50 in the next few weeks. Will also pass this on to some others who always help out.
Disciple of the cross and champion in suffering
Immerse yourself into the kingdom of redemption
Pardon your mind through the chains of the divine
Make way, the shepherd of fire

Avenged Sevenfold "Shepherd of Fire"
Demosthenes
Grand Exalted Keeper of Esoterica

Post by Demosthenes »

Donation sent.
Demo.
Gregg
Conde de Quatloo

Post by Gregg »

I got a very nice thank you note from Noah today.