Sovrun Claims Homes as His

Moderators: Prof, Judge Roy Bean

AFTP
The Voice of a Free Quatloosia

Sovrun Claims Homes as His

Post by AFTP »

Whenever you hear a man speak of his love for his Country, it is a sign he expects to be paid for it. – H. L. Mencken

Death and Taxes. Ya Think?
Unidyne
Admiral of the Quatloosian Seas
Admiral of the Quatloosian Seas

Re: Sovrun Claims Homes as His

Post by Unidyne »

Doesn't anyone at the county courts double-check claims like this?
Irony: The Ayn Rand® Institute (ARI) is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization.
davids
Farting Cow Emeritus

Post by davids »

Of course, he's doing it all for freedom! And real estate, mind you, but primarily freedom...my first thought is that if the true owners of the house think their legal challenges are a "hard" battle then they must be talking about the lawyer's fees, because this sounds like a very easy case to win.
Kestrel
Endangerer of Stupid Species

Post by Kestrel »

'When you abandon a property and don't want anything to do with it, somebody can come in and take it,'' Carr said.
Let's see... What evidence does he have that the family didn't want anything to do with their home any more? I guess they also didn't want their furniture, clothes, computers, TV sets, jewelry, food, dishes, photographs, wedding silver, toiletries, lawn mower, car, books, financial records, and other important documents (including tax returns, car title, and documentation of serial numbers on high ticket items they owned until Robert Carr arrived).

I wonder how much money Carr got for their stuff when he emptied the house. If he pawned the stuff or shoved it in a storage shed it's probably recoverable. If he sold it on CraigsList recovering it is not so easy. Anything he dumped at Goodwill or into the trash is likely gone forever.

And then there's his "team of people" who certainly helped him empty the house and claimed a share of the booty. We're talking some serious felony convictions when this is all finished.

But there's a bright side to this, using Robert Carr logic. When he left this house and went to one of "his" other ten houses, that must mean he abandoned it and the family can claim their home back, right?

Lynching is to good for this creep. Immurement is much more appropriate.
"Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes your time and annoys the pig." - Robert Heinlein
grixit
Recycler of Paytriot Fantasies

Post by grixit »

So you want Poe etic justice?
Three cheers for the Lesser Evil!

10 . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 2
. . . . . . Dr Pepper
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . .. . . 4
Kestrel

Post by Kestrel »

grixit wrote:So you want Poe etic justice?
I'm sure we can find some Amontillado in the Illuminati cellars to toast his inevitable demise.
"Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes your time and annoys the pig." - Robert Heinlein
The Observer
Further Moderator

Post by The Observer »

Another article on this situation.
"I could be dead wrong on this" - Irwin Schiff

"Do you realize I may even be delusional with respect to my income tax beliefs? " - Irwin Schiff
LPC
Trusted Keeper of the All True FAQ

Post by LPC »

Kestrel wrote:
'When you abandon a property and don't want anything to do with it, somebody can come in and take it,'' Carr said.
Let's see... What evidence does he have that the family didn't want anything to do with their home any more? I guess they also didn't want their furniture, clothes, computers, TV sets, jewelry, food, dishes, photographs, wedding silver, toiletries, lawn mower, car, books, financial records, and other important documents (including tax returns, car title, and documentation of serial numbers on high ticket items they owned until Robert Carr arrived).
I wonder how long Carr has to wait before deciding someone has "abandoned" a property. A month? A week? Two days? An hour?

For those who might not know, "quiet title" actions are routinely filed (not "obscure") to eliminate questions or possible defects in a chain of title. And it's a court proceeding, which means there has to be notice to parties who might have an interest in the property, and a hearing if there are factual disputes. You can't just file a "quiet title" with the recorder of deeds, change the locks, and move in.

What's bizarre about this case is that Carr is a complete stranger to the property. I thought at first he was some unhappy homeowner try to repossess a house that was foreclosed on, but he's just some guy walking down the street and deciding that he can take possession of any house that looks empty.

The fact that there are legal proceedings to get him out of the house is also bizarre. It's like having to go to court to get an order of ejectment against a burglar.

This seems to be another demonstration of the fact that courts (and other government officials) really don't handle crazy very well.
Dan Evans
Foreman of the Unified Citizens' Grand Jury for Pennsylvania
(And author of the Tax Protester FAQ: evans-legal.com/dan/tpfaq.html)
"Nothing is more terrible than ignorance in action." Johann Wolfgang von Goethe.
Dezcad
Khedive Ismail Quatoosia

Post by Dezcad »

He's been arrested.
A WLWT investigation uncovered a dozen cases linked to the same guy, and Wednesday, Robert Carr was arrested.

Less than a week after WLWT introduced our investigation, both Springdale and Forest Park police have filed criminal charges against Carr for breaking and entering and theft.

“When you abandon something, you forfeit all your rights and title to it, and title is not a piece of paper, title is when you grab it and say 'Mine,'” Carr said.

The game of finders-keepers could be over for Carr.

He's now charged with three counts of breaking and entering and three counts of theft involving a few houses, two in Springdale and one in Forest Park.

One of the homes related to his arrest is the one we focused on in our investigation.
Carr is being held on more than $40,000 bond.
The Observer
Further Moderator

Post by The Observer »

Kestrel wrote:Immurement is much more appropriate.
I still prefer them being declared outlaws and deported to Somalia. It solves a couple of problems:

(1) It leaves the sovrun in a country that has little in the way of laws being enforced. It is pretty much every man for himself, which seems to sum up the creed of the sovrun. So it should be their idea of paradise and freedom for which they keep agitating.

(2) We will run very little risk of the sovrun making it back to the US.
"I could be dead wrong on this" - Irwin Schiff

"Do you realize I may even be delusional with respect to my income tax beliefs? " - Irwin Schiff
AFTP
The Voice of a Free Quatloosia

Post by AFTP »

From the article:
Imagine going out of town to visit a dying relative only to come home and find a complete stranger living in your house; and worse, that stranger now says he legally owns that house.
Then imagine the look on said strangers face when you pull out a .45!
This guy is bound to get his ass kicked or shot dead. :snicker:
Whenever you hear a man speak of his love for his Country, it is a sign he expects to be paid for it. – H. L. Mencken

Death and Taxes. Ya Think?
Lambkin
Warder of the Quatloosian Gibbet

Post by Lambkin »

http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2013/12/06/g ... -11-homes/
A grand jury indicted an Ohio “sovereign citizen” who tried to steal 11 homes by moving in and filing a “quiet title” to claim ownership.
LPC
Trusted Keeper of the All True FAQ

Post by LPC »

Carr cited a decree handed down by Henry III, who was king of England between 1216 and 1272, that property rights required proper and continual use to prevent titles from being worthless scraps of paper.
My guess is that the "decree" (if it exists) was intended to give Henry III greater control over feudal lands, in order to strip lords of lands that were not being used and increase his power of feudal patronage, rather than legalizing breaking and entering in Ohio.

But that's just my guess.
Dan Evans
Foreman of the Unified Citizens' Grand Jury for Pennsylvania
(And author of the Tax Protester FAQ: evans-legal.com/dan/tpfaq.html)
"Nothing is more terrible than ignorance in action." Johann Wolfgang von Goethe.
Famspear
Knight Templar of the Sacred Tax

Post by Famspear »

From the article:
Imagine going out of town to visit a dying relative only to come home and find a complete stranger living in your house; and worse, that stranger now says he legally owns that house.
Dear squatters/sovereign citizens/nutjobs: Please do not try this stunt in Texas.

:|
"My greatest fear is that the audience will beat me to the punch line." -- David Mamet
AndyK
Illuminatian Revenue Supremo Emeritus

Post by AndyK »

Not his first sovereignoramus run-in with the courts. Hopefully the article is still available or someone can copy it to a text repository.

It appears to be something in March 2013 related to a traffic stop. But the interesting thing is that the defense attorney requested a competency hearing.

In addition, there's a video 1/2 hour interview with the nut ball.

His ramblings are fascinating -- as are the questions, preparation, and poise of the reporter.
Taxes are the price we pay for a free society and to cover the responsibilities of the evaders
ArthurWankspittle
Slavering Minister of Auto-erotic Insinuation

Post by ArthurWankspittle »

LPC wrote:My guess is that the "decree" (if it exists) was intended to give Henry III greater control over feudal lands, in order to strip lords of lands that were not being used and increase his power of feudal patronage, rather than legalizing breaking and entering in Ohio.

But that's just my guess.
There is some basis somewhere in English law for this. However, the original idea also had a practical use as well as a power trip reason behind it. It kept fertile land in use when the owners disappeared. Think about it, some decent strip of land suddenly gets left untended and no one knows where the owner went. It is a nonsense to leave a decent piece of land to go to waste for years until someone eventually claims it. Much better to get it in use asap.
"There is something about true madness that goes beyond mere eccentricity." Will Self
Kestrel

Post by Kestrel »

Well, If I had to guess, I'd say the guy who looked for free housing is going to get free housing. He'll get free meals, too. Maybe even a free attorney.

But that'll be the only thing "free" he'll have for a very, very long time.
Judge Roy Bean
Judge for the District of Quatloosia
Judge for the District of Quatloosia

Post by Judge Roy Bean »

Famspear wrote:From the article:
Dear squatters/sovereign citizens/nutjobs: Please do not try this stunt in Texas.

:|
No, please do. :snicker: :twisted:
The Honorable Judge Roy Bean
The world is a car and you're a crash-test dummy.
The Devil Makes Three
Lambkin
Warder of the Quatloosian Gibbet

Post by Lambkin »

In the end, it didn't work.
http://www.wlwt.com/news/local-news/ham ... y/24776884
Robert Carr was indicted on three counts of breaking and entering and three counts of theft in December.

On Monday, Carr pleaded guilty to one count of breaking and entering. The other charges were dismissed.
AndyK
Illuminatian Revenue Supremo Emeritus

Post by AndyK »

What if a Sovrun does all of the above to the home / double-wide of another sovrun :?:

Does the matter go to the local Denny's Common Law Grand Jury? Who enforces the decision -- the Constitutional Rangers?

The mind boggles at the possibilities.
Taxes are the price we pay for a free society and to cover the responsibilities of the evaders