49%
MORE TROLL ALE ::HIC::
49%

Total votes: 61

The Observer
Further Moderator

Re: In Jail By Consent?

Post by The Observer »

Pottapaug1938 wrote:On the other hand, I like what the people up in New Brunswick used to do. They'd buy old rum barrels, pour boiling water into them, and let the residual alcohol leach out. The result was less than perfect; but it was cheap and you could then reuse the barrels for whatever fit your fancy.
During my visit to The Glen Livet distillery in Scotland, one of the things pointed out was the fact that they recycled old French wine barrels made out of American oak.
"I could be dead wrong on this" - Irwin Schiff

"Do you realize I may even be delusional with respect to my income tax beliefs? " - Irwin Schiff
JamesVincent
A Councilor of the Kabosh

Post by JamesVincent »

Pantherphil wrote:The enlightened discussion of sippin' whisky sure beats troll ale. James Vincent, have you been following the legislative maneuvering between George Dickel and Jack Daniels over the right to be called Tennessee whisky? If you can't beat 'em on taste, you can define them away. Seems like in order to be the Genuine Article the whisky needs to be kept in new white oak casks, all nicely charred. No reused casks permitted. Sounds like good news for the cooperage in your neck of the woods.
I honestly stopped paying attention to anything Jack Daniel's did after they sued Popcorn Sutton's over the shape of their bottle, covered here viewtopic.php?f=16&t=9620. Would not surprise me at all but there are several other whiskey makers out there that call themselves Tennessee whiskey so would be interesting.
Disciple of the cross and champion in suffering
Immerse yourself into the kingdom of redemption
Pardon your mind through the chains of the divine
Make way, the shepherd of fire

Avenged Sevenfold "Shepherd of Fire"
JamesVincent

Post by JamesVincent »

The Observer wrote: During my visit to The Glen Livet distillery in Scotland, one of the things pointed out was the fact that they recycled old French wine barrels made out of American oak.
Seems that I recall some of the better whiskeys and bourbons use used barrels that were originally used for something different first.

Dr. Caligari
J.D., Miskatonic University School of Crickets

Post by Dr. Caligari »

rumpelstilzchen wrote:
ngupowered wrote:
Rumpel, Really? So you believe everybody that signed up read the agreement before clicking 'I consent' or whatever.
Surely a self-proclaimed expert in law, such as yourself, would not need to ask that question?
Would it not be foolish to enter into an agreement without even knowing the terms?
Who on earth would give their consent without knowing what they are consenting to? Only an idiot would do that wouldn't they?
Q.E.D.
Dr. Caligari
(Du musst Caligari werden!)
AndyK
Illuminatian Revenue Supremo Emeritus

Post by AndyK »

One of the local South Carolina breweries used 'experienced' bourbon barrels to age their Winter Ale.

IMO, the results were NOT favorable. Beer should not taste oaky and should not have the residue sweet charcoal taste.
Taxes are the price we pay for a free society and to cover the responsibilities of the evaders
Pottapaug1938
Supreme Prophet (Junior Division)

Post by Pottapaug1938 »

AndyK wrote:One of the local South Carolina breweries used 'experienced' bourbon barrels to age their Winter Ale.

IMO, the results were NOT favorable. Beer should not taste oaky and should not have the residue sweet charcoal taste.
I haven't been impressed with similar efforts up here; but then, I'm biased in favor of India Pale Ales -- West Coast style. At any rate, I figure that Troll Ale probably tastes pretty nasty, so I'll be better off with just about anything else instead.
Last edited by Pottapaug1938 on Tue Mar 25, 2014 8:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"We've been attacked by the intelligent, educated segment of the culture." -- Pastor Ray Mummert, Dover, PA, during an attempt to introduce creationism -- er, "intelligent design", into the Dover Public Schools
ngupowered
Scalawag
Scalawag

Post by ngupowered »

ROFL, my party is being crashed by a bunch of paper-bag-whiskey-hobos.
Time perhaps for the moderators to lay off the ale - 16, that many? - and start moderating - your job!
Rumpel, what does me being a law expert have to do with veracity of the answer to my question?
Caligari, why'd you want to demonstrate the truthfulness of a question rather than a statement?
If this was my last post, you'd know I was inappropriately banned
You know I'm right you're wrong I'm wrong you know I'm right ...
I consent to ban other users and moderate their posts.
AndyK

Post by AndyK »

How 'bout them 'Skins?
Taxes are the price we pay for a free society and to cover the responsibilities of the evaders
The Observer
Further Moderator

Post by The Observer »

ngupowered wrote:ROFL, my party is being crashed by a bunch of paper-bag-whiskey-hobos.
Yes, and all due to the fact that you consented to your party being crashed. Why did you do that for?
Time perhaps for the moderators to lay off the ale - 16, that many? - and start moderating - your job!
We are moderating. If you hadn't consented to your thread being crashed, this never would have happened. But it is pretty clear that the poll question has been answered. It is troll ale that gives one man authority over another man. Next time you start a thread, you should check and make sure you haven't consented to anyone entering the thread under the influence of troll ale.
"I could be dead wrong on this" - Irwin Schiff

"Do you realize I may even be delusional with respect to my income tax beliefs? " - Irwin Schiff
rumpelstilzchen
Admiral of the Quatloosian Seas

Post by rumpelstilzchen »

ngupowered wrote:Rumpel, what does me being a law expert have to do with veracity of the answer to my question?
I would have thought that is obvious. A law expert would know that other law experts (when entering into an agreement) would fully understand and agree to the terms of the agreement.
It kind of goes with the territory.
BHF wrote:
It shows your mentality to think someone would make the effort to post something on the internet that was untrue.
Dark Optimist
Scalawag
Scalawag

Post by Dark Optimist »

Gnu - if you want moderator rights, you can start your own website.

As for the poll, I saw that I could vote for two options - I wanted to vote for Troll Ale twice.

For reused barrels, I believe some bourbon makers use old port wine casks for aging.

For troll ale, I think you would need a billy goat and a bridge to age it properly, if I remember correctly...
ngupowered
Scalawag
Scalawag

Post by ngupowered »

Hmm, seems to me the moderator wasn't very smart. She could have added two ale options for the two votes of the poll. I mean, a toper would rather have two than one right?
If this was my last post, you'd know I was inappropriately banned
You know I'm right you're wrong I'm wrong you know I'm right ...
I consent to ban other users and moderate their posts.
AndyK

Post by AndyK »

Webhick not smart :?:

It's time to get out of the line of fire - preferably into one of the nuclear-resistant bunkers.
webhick
Illuminati Obfuscation: Black Ops Div

Post by webhick »

ngupowered wrote:She could have added two ale options for the two votes of the poll.
I not only consent to that, I totaly just did it.
When chosen for jury duty, tell the judge "fortune cookie says guilty" - A fortune cookie
AndyK

Post by AndyK »

I may be mistaken, but it appears thet previous votes may have been accidentally purged.

If that's the case, I suggest that everyone go back and vote early and often -- Chicago style.
rumpelstilzchen

Post by rumpelstilzchen »

AndyK wrote:I suggest that everyone go back and vote early and often -- Chicago style.
I just did...hic.....
BHF wrote:
It shows your mentality to think someone would make the effort to post something on the internet that was untrue.
Dark Optimist
Scalawag
Scalawag

Post by Dark Optimist »

rumpelstilzchen wrote:
AndyK wrote:I suggest that everyone go back and vote early and often -- Chicago style.
I just did...hic.....
And being in the Chicago area, I have done what I can to get out the early and often vote. Thank you for your support.
erwalkerca
Scalawag
Scalawag

Post by erwalkerca »

My Dad once use a whiskey barrel to age his red zinfandel. Obtained the barrel from the Park & Tilford Distillery when my Mom worked there. Managed to get a full cup of Crown Royal from it plus some swish. Soaked it for weeks but still ended up with whiskey-flavoured wine. Some 45 gallons of it.
JamesVincent

Post by JamesVincent »

We need to seriously get this thread back on track.

Hey Web, can you tell me why when I open Q on my 'Droid with Chrome it makes seemingly random posts a smaller font?

Thule
Tragedian of Sovereign Mythology

Post by Thule »

Pottapaug1938 wrote:
AndyK wrote:One of the local South Carolina breweries used 'experienced' bourbon barrels to age their Winter Ale.

I haven't been impressed with similar efforts up here; but then, I'm biased in favor of India Pale Ales -- West Coast style. At any rate, I figure that Troll Ale probably tastes pretty nasty, so I'll be better off with just about anything else instead.
A couple of distilleries uses different barrels to age whiskey, I can recommend the Balvenie Madeira Cask.

BTW, I am really glad Gnu consented to this derailing, it really spiced up the discussion.
Survivor of the Dark Agenda Whistleblower Award, August 2012.