Sovrun Cattle - The Sagebrush Saga of Cliven Bundy

Moderators: Prof, Judge Roy Bean

The Observer
Further Moderator

Re: Sovrun Cattle - The Sagebrush Saga of Cliven Bundy

Post by The Observer »

Famspear wrote:As someone who was born and reared in the Deep South, as someone who actually picked cotton when I was a kid, in a field near the old farm house in which my mother was born, and which was my first home, I must say that I am -- momentarily -- at a loss for words.
My relatives grew up in the South as well, picking cotton as sharecroppers. None of them saw this as an ideal career and the only lesson they learned from it was to find something that was more financially rewarding. Maybe Bundy needs to spend some time picking cotton and thinking about what he has said.
"I could be dead wrong on this" - Irwin Schiff

"Do you realize I may even be delusional with respect to my income tax beliefs? " - Irwin Schiff
Kestrel
Endangerer of Stupid Species

Post by Kestrel »

That's about what I'd expect from a Mormon with roots in old-school theology. Prior to 1978 the Mormon church believed God made it easy for us to identify corrupt people by marking them with dark skin.
Brigham Young wrote: "The Lord had cursed Cain’s seed with blackness and prohibited them the Priesthood."
"You see some classes of the human family that are black, uncouth, uncomely, disagreeable and low in their habits, wild, and seemingly deprived of nearly all the blessings of the intelligence that is generally bestowed upon mankind...Cain slew his brother. Cain might have been killed, and that would have put a termination to that line of human beings. This was not to be, and the Lord put a mark upon him, which is the flat nose and black skin. Trace mankind down to after the flood, and then another curse is pronounced upon the same race—that they should be the ‘servant of servants’; and they will be, until that curse is removed; and the Abolitionists cannot help it, nor in the least alter that decree."
It wasn't until 1978 that church president Spencer W. Kimball received a "divine revelation" declaring that black people were suddenly worthy of full church membership. It seems the Mormons were trying to build a base in Brazil, but couldn't find enough men eligible to join the priesthood because nearly everyone there has some degree of black ancestry. American civil rights laws were causing problems for the church too.

Today, even though the church is officially race-neutral, many Mormons still cling to the belief that black skin = unrighteous. Cliven Bundy appears to be one of those who have not embraced this theological reversal.
"Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes your time and annoys the pig." - Robert Heinlein
The Observer
Further Moderator

Post by The Observer »

And the politicians and commentators who came out in support of Bundy are now backing away, at least in regards to his racist comments.

"Do you realize I may even be delusional with respect to my income tax beliefs? " - Irwin Schiff
fortinbras
Princeps Wooloosia

Post by fortinbras »

I have been trying to say something profound about this latest Bundyism but I can only say that I am stunned that someone in this day and age .....

http://www.nationaljournal.com/politics ... e-20140424
Last edited by fortinbras on Thu Apr 24, 2014 6:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Observer
Further Moderator

Post by The Observer »

And Bundy, in the midst of this exploding controversy and in typical sovrun style, doubles down...

AndyK
Illuminatian Revenue Supremo Emeritus

Post by AndyK »

The Republic for the USA has TOTALLY embraced Bundy:
April 24, 2014

SPECIAL BROADCAST

EXCLUSIVE INTERVIEW WITH
NEVADA RANCHER
CLIVEN BUNDY
For those who desire to explode their brains:
Thursdays: 6:00pm Pacific / 7:00pm Mountain / 8:00pm Central / 9:00pm Eastern
Conference Number: 712-432-0075 Code 594637# - Playback # 712-432-1085
Taxes are the price we pay for a free society and to cover the responsibilities of the evaders
Pottapaug1938
Supreme Prophet (Junior Division)

Post by Pottapaug1938 »

AndyK wrote:The Republic for the USA has TOTALLY embraced Bundy:
April 24, 2014

SPECIAL BROADCAST

EXCLUSIVE INTERVIEW WITH
NEVADA RANCHER
CLIVEN BUNDY
I've got to wash my hair, that night, and then go outside and trim the grass with my nail clippers.
"We've been attacked by the intelligent, educated segment of the culture." -- Pastor Ray Mummert, Dover, PA, during an attempt to introduce creationism -- er, "intelligent design", into the Dover Public Schools
LPC
Trusted Keeper of the All True FAQ

Post by LPC »

wserra wrote:The nice thing about quotes like this is that they only require a three-word comment:

What an asshole.
Yes, but he's a patriotic asshole. He loves this country.

Now, it's true he hates its government and most of the people who live in it.

Doesn't have much use for the native animals or plants, either.

So what's left? The rocks. He loves this country's rocks.

Probably because he's got so much in common with them. Unthinking, very common, and mostly worthless.
Dan Evans
Foreman of the Unified Citizens' Grand Jury for Pennsylvania
(And author of the Tax Protester FAQ: evans-legal.com/dan/tpfaq.html)
"Nothing is more terrible than ignorance in action." Johann Wolfgang von Goethe.
AndyK
Illuminatian Revenue Supremo Emeritus

Post by AndyK »

LPC wrote:[
The rocks. He loves this country's rocks.

Would it be too much to ask for him to go crawl back under the one from whence he emerged?
Taxes are the price we pay for a free society and to cover the responsibilities of the evaders
The Observer
Further Moderator

Post by The Observer »

LPC wrote:Probably because he's got so much in common with them. Unthinking, very common, and mostly worthless.
I'm sorry but I have to point out that this is an unfair comparison. Rocks have far more worth than Bundy.

Demosthenes
Grand Exalted Keeper of Esoterica

Post by Demosthenes »

The Observer wrote:Any evidence that the Bundy family was involved in any of the polygamous groups that broke off from the LDS church? I know some of these groups have extreme beliefs in regards to women and minorities.
Not in the last 100 years. The family is Mormon, not Mormon Fundamentalist.
Demo.
Arthur Rubin
Tupa-O-Quatloosia

Post by Arthur Rubin »

AndyK wrote:The Republic for the USA has TOTALLY embraced Bundy:
April 24, 2014

SPECIAL BROADCAST

EXCLUSIVE INTERVIEW WITH
NEVADA RANCHER
CLIVEN BUNDY
I'm going to listen to another character.

William Shatner. (See http://www.fathomevents.com/event/shatners-world )
Arthur Rubin, unemployed tax preparer and aerospace engineer
ImageJoin the Blue Ribbon Online Free Speech Campaign!

Butterflies are free. T-shirts are $19.95 $24.95 $29.95
Kestrel

Post by Kestrel »

Demosthenes wrote:Bundy's father did purchase the water rights attached to his 160 acres but there are other vested water rights in play here.

I took a look through the water rights database. As best as I can tell, Cliven's neighbor Keith Nay either sold or gave 11 vested water rights to Cliven in October of 1997. Nay passed away less than a month later.

The BLM had already canceled Bundy's grazing permit in 1994.
I really appreciate the research you're doing. Bit by bit it just erodes Bundy's entire case.

Were you able to find out where these vested water rights were located, whether on federal or private land?
"Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes your time and annoys the pig." - Robert Heinlein
LPC

Post by LPC »

LPC wrote:Now, it's true he hates its government and most of the people who live in it.
I take it back.

I figured that, like most idiots, his racism was fairly indiscriminate, and that he doesn't have much use for anyone who's not white and not like him.

But it turns out he's rather respectful towards Hispanics, even ones who are here illegally.

Who'd a thunk it?
Dan Evans
"Nothing is more terrible than ignorance in action." Johann Wolfgang von Goethe.
Jeffrey
Admiral of the Quatloosian Seas

Post by Jeffrey »

Kestrel

Post by Kestrel »

LPC wrote:I figured that, like most idiots, his racism was fairly indiscriminate, and that he doesn't have much use for anyone who's not white and not like him.

But it turns out he's rather respectful towards Hispanics, even ones who are here illegally.

Who'd a thunk it?
I've never known Mormon theology to have anything against Hispanics. There's no "mark of Cain" on illegal immigrants. Just Blacks - until 1978, that is, when the "curse" was lifted.
notorial dissent
A Balthazar of Quatloosian Truth

Post by notorial dissent »

Just to add further humor in to the festivities, KKKlayman has now inserted himself in to the game. He was making announcements late this afternoon, hard to tell what will become of it since he isn't licensed in NV, and probably can't get pro hoc anywhere at this point considering his current standing with the assorted bars.
The fact that you sincerely and wholeheartedly believe that the “Law of Gravity” is unconstitutional and a violation of your sovereign rights, does not absolve you of adherence to it.
Jeffrey

Post by Jeffrey »

I don't think this link is too political for the board but tonights Rachel Maddow had a 22 minute segment on Bundy and Sovereign Citizens, tying Bundy's beliefs all the way back to posse comitatus and post-civil war white supremacist movements; including an indirect mention of the migration of sovcits to Canada.

http://www.msnbc.com/rachel-maddow-show ... 6481603620
fortinbras
Princeps Wooloosia

Post by fortinbras »

It turns out that Bundy's Representative in Congress is black .... and has expressed himself on Bundy:

http://www.msnbc.com/rachel-maddow-show ... 6458563703
LPC

Post by LPC »

Jeffrey wrote:I don't think this link is too political for the board but tonights Rachel Maddow had a 22 minute segment on Bundy and Sovereign Citizens, tying Bundy's beliefs all the way back to posse comitatus and post-civil war white supremacist movements; including an indirect mention of the migration of sovcits to Canada.

http://www.msnbc.com/rachel-maddow-show ... 6481603620
Rachel's primary point was that, given the racist origins of the sovereign citizen movement, nobody should have been surprised by Bundy's racist comments, and those who were surprised weren't paying attention.
Dan Evans