Sovrun Cattle - The Sagebrush Saga of Cliven Bundy

Moderators: Prof, Judge Roy Bean

Famspear
Knight Templar of the Sacred Tax

Re: Sovrun Cattle - The Sagebrush Saga of Cliven Bundy

Post by Famspear »

Hanslune wrote:Absolutely I read and write material that is based in the 1830's and it's sometimes hard to understand what is implied because the words then had different meanings - which were clear to everyone then but shadowy to us now.
That's a good point.

We often say that a particular word "means" a certain thing. But, what we really "mean" when we say this is that a person means or intends a certain thing when that person uses that word. Words do not define themselves. People define words.

The meanings of at least some words change over a long period of time -- because people start using the words to signify something different from what was formerly signified.

Take the word "awful." One of the most common meanings of that word today is "extremely disagreeable or objectionable". Webster's New Collegiate Dictionary, p. 79, G.&C. Merriam Co. (8th ed. 1976). But, I understand that a long time ago, the word "awful" was used to mean what we would today describe as "awesome", in the sense of "deserving of reverence or admiration" -- as in "Hey, that performance was totally awesome, dude!".
"My greatest fear is that the audience will beat me to the punch line." -- David Mamet
notorial dissent
A Balthazar of Quatloosian Truth

Post by notorial dissent »

Yes, quite true, and there are a lot of words that the meaning has totally changed on or have simply disappeared altogether from modern vocabulary. The other problem is that the writing of the day tended to be, at least in my opinion, rather more florid and hyperbolic than we are sued to today, and people who aren't familiar with the time period have a real hard time separating that out from the meat of the issue. Since I have a feeling that most of the sovcit crowd would have troubles with the sixth grade reader I was bored with, it has to be immeasurably harder for them, as all their inane cockamamie ideas that they get from it prove.
The fact that you sincerely and wholeheartedly believe that the “Law of Gravity” is unconstitutional and a violation of your sovereign rights, does not absolve you of adherence to it.
Hanslune
Admiral of the Quatloosian Seas

Post by Hanslune »

Famspear wrote:
Hanslune wrote:Absolutely I read and write material that is based in the 1830's and it's sometimes hard to understand what is implied because the words then had different meanings - which were clear to everyone then but shadowy to us now.
That's a good point.

We often say that a particular word "means" a certain thing. But, what we really "mean" when we say this is that a person means or intends a certain thing when that person uses that word. Words do not define themselves. People define words.

The meanings of at least some words change over a long period of time -- because people start using the words to signify something different from what was formerly signified.

Take the word "awful." One of the most common meanings of that word today is "extremely disagreeable or objectionable". Webster's New Collegiate Dictionary, p. 79, G.&C. Merriam Co. (8th ed. 1976). But, I understand that a long time ago, the word "awful" was used to mean what we would today describe as "awesome", in the sense of "deserving of reverence or admiration" -- as in "Hey, that performance was totally awesome, dude!".
Other examples I've run across:

Unique meant unusual not one of kind
Literally should be replaced by the word figuratively in our use of the language today
Talented meant a characteristic feature, aptitude, or disposition of a person or animal and didn't existed at all until the 1850s
rogfulton
Caveat Venditor
Location: No longer behind the satellite dish, second door along - in fact, not even in the same building.

Post by rogfulton »

"No man is above the law and no man is below it; nor do we ask any man's permission when we require him to obey it. Obedience to the law is demanded as a right; not asked as a favor."
- President Theodore Roosevelt
rogfulton
Caveat Venditor
Location: No longer behind the satellite dish, second door along - in fact, not even in the same building.

Post by rogfulton »

"No man is above the law and no man is below it; nor do we ask any man's permission when we require him to obey it. Obedience to the law is demanded as a right; not asked as a favor."
arayder
Banned (Permanently)
Banned (Permanently)

Post by arayder »

Wake Up! Productions wrote:FBI Releases Oregon Shooting Video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6B1IfchTMkM
Here's another take on the Oregon shooting from one of my favorite Youtube presenters, Yankee Marshal: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qcbVplSbPBA
rogfulton
Caveat Venditor

Post by rogfulton »

rogfulton
Caveat Venditor

Post by rogfulton »

Facepalm time
"Patriot" questions whether locals asking group to go home are paid actors.
notorial dissent

Yeah, they can't believe that the locals wouldn't welcome with open arms. I suspect the locals want the furriners to go the hell away and quit making a spectacle of them and want nothing to do with them.
The fact that you sincerely and wholeheartedly believe that the “Law of Gravity” is unconstitutional and a violation of your sovereign rights, does not absolve you of adherence to it.
The Observer
Further Moderator

Post by The Observer »

notorial dissent wrote:Yeah, they can't believe that the locals wouldn't welcome with open arms. I suspect the locals want the furriners to go the hell away and quit making a spectacle of them and want nothing to do with them.
Well, it mus' be a goldurned conspeerasy! Them eveel gubmint a-gents mus' have sprayed a mind-control drug out of their black UN copters that made those poor folk turn agin us!
"I could be dead wrong on this" - Irwin Schiff

"Do you realize I may even be delusional with respect to my income tax beliefs? " - Irwin Schiff
wanglepin

Post by wanglepin »

Breaking: Lavoy Finicum Tased By OSP Implicates Murder By The Feds
He believes he was tasered!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qup47XJGIl4
ArthurWankspittle
Slavering Minister of Auto-erotic Insinuation

Post by ArthurWankspittle »

wanglepin wrote:Breaking: Lavoy Finicum Tased By OSP Implicates Murder By The Feds
He believes he was tasered!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qup47XJGIl4
I can actually believe he was tasered. However, even if this guy's opinions were viable I see several immediate issues:
The cop fires a taser left handed but shoots a gun right handed? (how about he's reaching for handcuffs ? how about he realised the situation, used a taser and never pulled out a firearm because he saw the dangers of using one? Further, he moves out of the line(s) of fire because someone fired, probably his colleague to the front but he might not know in that moment whether it was his colleague or Finicum or both.)
There is no proof Finicum was shot nine times
The opinion takes no account of the other officer in the left foreground as shooting (and he can see 1 - Finicum reaching for a weapon and 2 - has a clean shot at him )
The purported shooters to the right would all have to have fired only nine shots all of which hit Finicum. (and Finicum's private autopsy would show he was shot nine times mainly if not entirely while he was lying down, something I doubt his supporters would have kept quiet about.)
Even though the first officer is in line of fire of the officers around the trucks, self preservation or a decision on the balance of the situation could still leave the officer on the left "taking a chance" (and that's not really the right description) on shooting Finicum as Finicum is obviously drawing a gun.

If you want an interesting speculative theory, how about Finicum shot himself while being tasered?
"There is something about true madness that goes beyond mere eccentricity." Will Self
Chaos

Post by Chaos »

ArthurWankspittle wrote:(and Finicum's private autopsy would show he was shot nine times mainly if not entirely while he was lying down, something I doubt his supporters would have kept quiet about.)
I think cox tried floating that balloon but has since changed her story.
Burnaby49
Quatloosian Ambassador to the CaliCanadians
Quatloosian Ambassador to the CaliCanadians

Post by Burnaby49 »

So much for the demands of the remaining four that they be allowed to leave without any legal consequences. From today's Wall Street Journal;
But the indictment unsealed Thursday revealed that federal prosecutors are also pressing forward with charges against the four people who remain inside the refuge, who have tried to negotiate a resolution with the Federal Bureau of Investigation that didn’t involve charges for at least some of the occupiers.
So I guess they'll be hanging around for a while waiting for the uprising of patriotic Americans to free them.
"Yes Burnaby49, I do in fact believe all process servers are peace officers. I've good reason to believe so." Robert Menard in his May 28, 2015 video "Process Servers".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XeI-J2PhdGs
notorial dissent

Burnaby49 wrote:So I guess they'll be hanging around for a while waiting for the uprising of patriotic Americans to free them.
I think they'll either freeze to death or run out of pot first before the armchair faketriots get around to not doing anything further.
The Observer
Further Moderator

Post by The Observer »

I was hoping that it would be a case of cannibalism.

"Do you realize I may even be delusional with respect to my income tax beliefs? " - Irwin Schiff
ArthurWankspittle
Slavering Minister of Auto-erotic Insinuation

Post by ArthurWankspittle »

Burnaby49 wrote:So I guess they'll be hanging around for a while waiting for the uprising of patriotic Americans to free them.
http://www.pacificpatriotsnetwork.com/
Not this weekend though....
In light of recent events that took place today and conversations with the FBI and people at the refuge, we have decided to stand down our PPN Call to Action.

The event Saturday is cancelled. For those that are on the road to assist, we will hold a memorial service for Lavoy Finicum at the site outside of Burns on hwy 395 at 1pm on Saturday.
Question for the lawyer types - could you get a RICO charge to stick against this lot?
"There is something about true madness that goes beyond mere eccentricity." Will Self
rogfulton
Caveat Venditor

Post by rogfulton »

And now, word that Cliven has a third son in custody, but not for what you might think.
rogfulton
Caveat Venditor

Post by rogfulton »

And now....epicaricacy*

*schadenfreude
The Observer
Further Moderator

Post by The Observer »

I doubt that this bill will actually get passed, in that most of the legislators are going to take issue with the feds being made responsible for what the Bundys did.