Sovrun Cattle - The Sagebrush Saga of Cliven Bundy

Moderators: Prof, Judge Roy Bean

Jeffrey
Admiral of the Quatloosian Seas

Re: Sovrun Cattle - The Sagebrush Saga of Cliven Bundy

Post by Jeffrey »

http://www.oregonlive.com/today/index.s ... enter.html
LAS VEGAS — Jailed Nevada rancher Cliven Bundy refused Thursday to acknowledge federal authority and declined to enter a plea to federal charges that he led an armed standoff against a round-up of cattle two years ago.
Lambkin
Warder of the Quatloosian Gibbet

Post by Lambkin »

A letter to the editor of the Idaho Statesman
http://www.idahostatesman.com/opinion/l ... 30502.html
Recently the IRS seized and sold former Idaho Rep. Phil Hart’s vacation home for nonpayment of taxes. I think now that Cliven Bundy is in jail in Oregon pending trial, the federal government should seize his ranch for more than 20 years of nonpayment of more than $1 million in grazing fees.

To do otherwise, I believe, is an affront to all the honest ranchers nationwide that have faithfully paid their grazing fees each year as they have agreed.
I'd like to see him convicted first, but it's the thought that counts.
Lambkin
Warder of the Quatloosian Gibbet

Post by Lambkin »

Prosecutors like Cliven Bundy in jail and are opposed to another hearing on his detention.
http://www.reviewjournal.com/news/las-v ... g-canceled
Federal prosecutors want to call off Thursday’s detention hearing for rancher Cliven Bundy on charges stemming from the April 2014 armed standoff with law enforcement near Bunkerville.

First Assistant U.S. Attorney Steven Myhre said in court papers filed late Tuesday that Bundy already had a detention hearing in Portland, Ore., following his arrest there and does not deserve another one.
notorial dissent
A Balthazar of Quatloosian Truth

Post by notorial dissent »

I think the letter writer got it partially wrong, I think the house Hart lost was actually his primary home, but no real matter.

I also think it is a foregone conclusion that Bundy Acres will be bye bye when the dust is settled, one way or another. I do think it would be nice to get the trial and conviction stuff out of the way first though, niceties of the law and all, and I suspect a civil trial will be needed on the money he actually owes the gov't along those lines, unless that has happened and I missed it, and always assuming they don't just seize it as being part of an ongoing criminal enterprise. I do think the BLM would like to get their money out of it as well as their expenses so they might oppose an outright forfeiture.

Gonna be interesting times in NV for the next couple of years I would suspect. I just don't see ANY of the Bundys coming out of this with skin intact.
The fact that you sincerely and wholeheartedly believe that the “Law of Gravity” is unconstitutional and a violation of your sovereign rights, does not absolve you of adherence to it.
The Observer
Further Moderator

Post by The Observer »

notorial dissent wrote:Gonna be interesting times in NV for the next couple of years I would suspect. I just don't see ANY of the Bundys coming out of this with skin intact.
Yes, and in particular the females in the family who will face losing their homes, assets and income due to the jackass behavior of the male Bundys. Of course, the women will be partially to blame since they probably adopted the "stand-by-your-man" position when their men first stuck their heads into the kool-ade barrel.
"I could be dead wrong on this" - Irwin Schiff

"Do you realize I may even be delusional with respect to my income tax beliefs? " - Irwin Schiff
notorial dissent

Unfortunately I am afraid you are right. Stupid and self destructive doesn't run in that family, it gallops. Bundy Prime owes the gov't so much money that the only way they will get even a bit of it is to seize everything he owns, and I'm not willing to bet it will come even close to covering what he owes. Bundy the lesser used the website for his business to solicit funds for his little camp out, so I expect he will lose everything that the bank owns up there before it is all over and done with. I also suspect that a tax audit of the business will not bode well either.
The fact that you sincerely and wholeheartedly believe that the “Law of Gravity” is unconstitutional and a violation of your sovereign rights, does not absolve you of adherence to it.
The Observer
Further Moderator

Post by The Observer »

And the standoff is continuing to impact politics.

"Do you realize I may even be delusional with respect to my income tax beliefs? " - Irwin Schiff
JamesVincent
A Councilor of the Kabosh

Post by JamesVincent »

http://koin.com/2016/03/23/first-look-h ... ur-refuge/
BURNS, Ore. (KOIN) — For the first time since the occupation of the Malheur National Wildlife Refuge ended onFebruary 11, the media was allowed into the area to see the remnants of the occupiers.

The U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service provided a tour for media and released photos of the way the occupiers left the refuge.
Disciple of the cross and champion in suffering
Immerse yourself into the kingdom of redemption
Pardon your mind through the chains of the divine
Make way, the shepherd of fire

Avenged Sevenfold "Shepherd of Fire"
notorial dissent

They aren't done yet, but estimates of the damage resulting from the "occupation" are now around $6M, and could go up. The pigs left things in a deplorable condition, although the head pig's lawyer is attempting to claim otherwise.
Dr. Caligari
J.D., Miskatonic University School of Crickets

Post by Dr. Caligari »

the head pig's lawyer
Shouldn't that be "the head pig's pig-headed lawyer"?
Dr. Caligari
(Du musst Caligari werden!)
notorial dissent

Whatever works.
jcolvin2
Grand Master Consul of Quatloosia

Post by jcolvin2 »

Person named as alternate delegate for Trump in New Hampshire extradited to Nevada to face federal charges in the Bundy affair.

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-nevad ... SKCN0WQ1RI
Dick Dastardly
Gunners Mate
Gunners Mate

Post by Dick Dastardly »

When I opened my Sunday paper this morning I see old friend Larry Klayman has been barred from jumping aboard the Cliven Bundy bandwagon.
http://www.reviewjournal.com/crime/judg ... iven-bundy
By JEFF GERMAN
LAS VEGAS REVIEW-JOURNAL
Nevada’s chief federal judge has refused to let nationally known conservative lawyer Larry Klayman join Cliven Bundy’s defense team.

In a three-page order, Gloria Navarro questioned Klayman’s candidness with her about the outcome of professional disciplinary proceedings against him in Washington, D.C.

She said his disclosure in court papers that no disciplinary action has been taken and the proceedings were likely to be resolved in his favor was “misleading and incomplete.”

Klayman can reapply to represent Bundy if he submits documents related to those proceedings, as well as disciplinary proceedings against him in Florida and clashes he had years ago with two federal judges who banned him from their courtrooms, Navarro said.

Late Friday, Klayman insisted there has been no final resolution to the case.

“There’s no imposed discipline in D.C.,” he said. “The proceedings are ongoing, and I said that in the application.”

Then, he added, “We’re going to obey the judge’s order. Whatever information she’d like is not a problem.”

Klayman, the founder of the Washington-based public interest groups Judicial Watch and Freedom Watch, is known for his tenacious pursuit of litigation, mostly in support of a wide range of conservative and libertarian issues.

His troubles with the Washington bar stemmed from three separate alleged conflicts of interest in litigation involving Judicial Watch after he left the organization as its legal counsel, according to court documents.

Klayman agreed to a public censure in the disciplinary case in June 2014, but Navarro said he did not give her a copy of the “petition for negotiated discipline” and an accompanying affidavit he signed.

“These documents were not provided by counsel, and they are admissions of three separate incidents of stipulated misconduct that were not clearly disclosed in Klayman’s petition,” Navarro wrote.

Last week, Klayman told the Las Vegas Review-Journal that the Bundy family had asked for his legal help. Bundy, 69, who is in federal custody, is facing criminal charges stemming from the April 12, 2014, armed standoff with law enforcement near his ranch in Bunkerville.

Bundy is now represented by Las Vegas attorney Joel Hansen, who is active in the ultraconservative Independent American Party of Nevada.

Hansen filed court documents Thursday urging Navarro to let Klayman participate in Bundy’s defense.

The case is “proceeding on a fast pace” and Bundy “wants and needs” Klayman on his defense team to avoid harming his constitutional rights, Hansen wrote.

The Bundy family has been trying to raise money to pay Hansen and Klayman.
notorial dissent

The judge in the Bundy case denying KKKlayman's petition and saying that it was “misleading and incomplete”, is an exercise in understatement that is near mind boggling and masterful, short of coming right and and saying he lied through his teeth at any rate.

Almost as funny as the conditions she set for him to refile. It will be interesting to see what further errors an d omissions his "associates" make in their next filing.
The Observer
Further Moderator

Post by The Observer »

Apparently the disaster of the Bundy standoff is not causing other sovrun ranchers to rethink their philosophy.

notorial dissent

The stupidity and greed are congenital, I don't think there is a cure.
Chaos

Post by Chaos »

I note the visible lack of firearms in that pic.
The Observer
Further Moderator

Post by The Observer »

It appears that the original problem of the Bundy cattle illegally occupying BLM lands may be resolving itself in a cruel way: the herd is reported as starving.

The Observer
Further Moderator

Post by The Observer »

Oh, and in a quick test of our irony meters, Ammon Bundy is claiming that he is being starved in prison.

eric
Trivial Observer of Great War

Post by eric »

The Observer wrote:It appears that the original problem of the Bundy cattle illegally occupying BLM lands may be resolving itself in a cruel way: the herd is reported as starving.
I'm probably representative of most large animal farmers and we all take these sort of reports with a grain of salt. These are not your family pets, there will always be a certain percentage of sick animals in your herd, it's your job to keep that percentage of non-productive animals to the minimum since they're costing you money. There are plenty of people with an ax to grind who can take a video of a sick beast and claim you have poor animal welfare. I'll believe the report when I can see a vet give an analysis of the whole herd health. I'm not going to say yea or nay until I see some factual data.