ABA Journal: ‘Sovereign citizens’ plaster courts with bogus

Moderators: Prof, Judge Roy Bean

cynicalflyer
Admiral of the Quatloosian Seas

ABA Journal: ‘Sovereign citizens’ plaster courts with bogus

Post by cynicalflyer »

http://www.abajournal.com/magazine/arti ... l_filings/
What all of these cases have in common is that they are part of a movement of "sovereign citizens," according to law enforcement officials. Sovereigns—also called "freemen on the land" or "organic citizens"—believe that an illegitimate, usurper federal government has taken over, and that they don't have to pay taxes, pull over their cars for police or obey any other law they don't like.
Nor are officers of the court immune, says J.J. MacNab, a Bethesda, Md., insurance analyst and litigation consultant who has tracked the sovereign movement for years.
"Where there is no law, but every man does what is right in his own eyes, there is the least of real liberty." -- General Henry M. Robert author, Robert's Rules of Order
LightinDarkness

Re: ABA Journal: ‘Sovereign citizens’ plaster courts with bo

Post by LightinDarkness »

This is a really good article. Some of the stories are just...wow, hilarious and tragic:
D. Loren Washburn, a former tax prosecutor in Utah, recalls a woman who was subpoenaed to testify in an investigation of her father for tax evasion. (Sovereigns have a lot of overlap with tax defiers, so tax prosecutors are familiar with the ideology.) She declined to answer questions, he says.

"We said, 'Are you in any way related to him?' " recalls Washburn, now a shareholder at Clyde Snow & Sessions in Salt Lake City and a member of the ABA Section of Taxation's Civil and Criminal Tax Penalties Subcommittee. "She said, 'They say he's my father, but there's never been a paternity test.' "

The woman was prosecuted for obstruction of justice, but when she got to court, she refused to admit she was the person named in the indictment. The judge jailed her for contempt of court, believing, Washburn says, that an afternoon in jail would convince her to comply. Instead, it took about three months.

"The judge was eager to let her out, but at the same time wasn't eager to encourage or indulge in any way this crazy fiction of 'I'm not that person because you spelled my name with [capital] letters,' " says Washburn. "And as a result, she stayed in jail for months and months, and she was the mother of five kids. … The calls from her father said, 'Don't let them bully you; you'd rather die in jail a martyr to the United States of America than give in to this tyranny.' Then you'd hear a phone call from her husband saying, 'Your father's an idiot.' "
I mean, sov'runs are nuts, but this is a whole new level of crazy - 3 months in jail for contempt, with 5 kids?
notorial dissent
A Balthazar of Quatloosian Truth

Post by notorial dissent »

There is a difference between nuts and stupid, and I think I'll have to go with stupid on this one, I just can't see it, but some people just aren't wired right, and she sounds like one of them,
The fact that you sincerely and wholeheartedly believe that the “Law of Gravity” is unconstitutional and a violation of your sovereign rights, does not absolve you of adherence to it.
grixit
Recycler of Paytriot Fantasies

Post by grixit »

At least her father didn't advise her to become a suicide bomber.
Three cheers for the Lesser Evil!

10 . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 2
. . . . . . Dr Pepper
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . .. . . 4