Swami Juice (Zrii)

"Buy 1 for yourself and get the chance to sell your friends and family 5 and get your downline started!" We examine the multi-level marketing industry, where only the people who come up with the ideas make any money, and everybody else is left unhappy, broke, and tired of reading scripts and selling overpriced vitamins and similarly worthless products. Includes Global Prosperity, Pinnacle Quest International, IRS Codebusters, Stratia, and other new Global Prosperity scams.

Moderator: wserra

wserra
Quatloosian Federal Witness

Re: Swami Juice (Zrii)

Post by wserra »

A couple of other stories report the Zrii connection, one of them characterizing Zrii in a somewhat, well, unflattering manner:

Fort Worth Star-Telegram.

Houston Chronicle ("a questionable nutrition supplement sold via a pyramid-marketing structure").

"Pyramid-marketing". I like that.
"A wise man proportions belief to the evidence."
- David Hume
Doc Bunkum
Scamologist General (MLM Division)

Post by Doc Bunkum »

wserra wrote: "According to the defense, the main ingredient in Zrii is white grape juice and it sells for around $40 a bottle".
Well, we know that's not quite true.

Everyone knows the main ingredient in Zrii is Indian Gooseberries - the central fruit in Ayurveda, a 5000 year-old medical system from India.

That's why the Indian population enjoys such robust health and are know for their longevity.

And besides that, Zrii is endorsed by Dr. Deepak Chopra over at The Chopra Center.

So it must be good.

I just suppose John Cook IV didn't want to mention this in court because it would have taken too long to explain it all to the jury.

So he just said "grape juice".

That's something everyone can relate to and doesn't bog the trial down with unnecessary details.
Doc Bunkum

Post by Doc Bunkum »

And I see "Dr." Rolando Arafiles has quite an interesting background.
He graduated from medical school in the Phillipines in 1977. In 1994, he did an internship at Harbor Hospital in Baltimore. Two years later, he finished a residency in Family Medicine at SUNY Buffalo - but I can find no indication that he has ever been board certified in FP or any other specialty. In 2007, the Texas Medical Board restricted him from supervising physician's assistants because he had failed to properly supervise (pdf) a PA at a weight-loss clinic he worked for, and had failed to ensure that the clinic protocols met standards of care.

At the trial yesterday, Arafiles reportedly had difficulty even defining "standard of care". He said that diabetics heal as easily as anyone else. He was questioned about a number of medical errors he's made, and he explained that contrary to reports, he had not in fact intentionally sewn part of a suture kit to a patients finger, but had instead done so accidentally. According to the hospital administrator, Arafiles has been reprimanded for mistakes a number of times since he was hired in 2008, which was confirmed by a surprise state inspection.

On top of all that, Dr. Arafiles does not seem to have ever seen a non-traditional remedy that he didn't like. He's been selling alkalized water and colloidal silver on his website. He testified yesterday that he - and his buddy the sheriff - have been selling the Chopra Center-endorsed supplement beverage Zrii - a 25 ounce energy drink that seems to mostly consist of grape juice, and which retails on Amazon at a little over $50 per bottle. According to woo-megasite educate-yourself.org, Arafiles was offering IV Hydrogen Peroxide and Bioluminescence Therapy in 2002. More recently - as in Christmas, 2009 - Arafiles posted something on the "no-forced-vaccination" Yahoo! group asking when he would receive materials for a homeopathy class he was interested in.

At this point, the picture is fairly clear. Arafiles looks to be a minimally qualified medical doctor, with conventional clinical skills that are, at best, barely adequate. He also has an enormous interest in non-conventional therapies. This does not surprise me. It's easy to become an expert in a field that doesn't really exist.
The Texas Nurse Trial - How Did We Get Here?
Blup

Post by Blup »

I'm thrilled that a national spotlight has been turned on this situation. Yet another insular backwoods town serving up injustice to those who deserve better. Reminds me of the justice of the peace back in Louisiana who wouldn't marry interracial couples or some such. I just despair for all the good folks who've been screwed in ways such as this with no recourse. Probably happens all the time. :cry:
wserra

Post by wserra »

Doc Bunkum wrote:
wserra wrote: According to the defense, the main ingredient in Zrii is white grape juice and it sells for around $40 a bottle.
Well, we know that's not quite true.
I realize that you were writing tongue-in-cheek, Doc, but you're right - it's not true.

The main ingredient is water. Don't believe me? Well, here's the label. Ingredients must be listed on a label in accordance with the percentage of the product, in descending order. So white grape juice is the second largest ingredient. In fact, one can read the label - one should read the label - as saying that the seven listed exotic ingredients are present in lesser amounts than any other ingredient except xanthan gum.

For $40/bottle. Yummy.
- David Hume
Doc Bunkum

Post by Doc Bunkum »

You're right, of course.

Now, it would have been funny if the prosecution had pointed that fact out - that no, the main ingredient in Zrii wasn't white grape juice, it's water and it sells for around $40 a bottle. Can you explain why water is so expensive?

On a side note related to the case, I see the Association of American Physicians and Surgeons, refered to by ScienceBlogs as "that crank organization of medical crank organizations", rallied to the defense of the doctor in question.
The blogosphere is filled with rants against the doctor, Rolando G. Arafiles, Jr., M.D.; the prosecutor; and West Texas itself. The doctor has dark skin, a foreign accent, and some unconventional ideas.
By that description, I think they should have called Deeppockets in as a witness. No, Arafiles isn't Indian, but the description sure fits Chopra as well. He might have liked to put in a good word or two for Arafiles.
wserra

Post by wserra »

I think a certain Zrii distributor wasn't listening closely enough during the latest Zrii revival meeting.

The site bills itself as "Your direct source for fine organic herbal products". However, its featured product is something called "Red Line Synthetic Automatic Transmission Fluid". Now, it's hard to miss the "organic" craze, but organic herbal transmission fluid is a new one on me.

Down at the bottom of the page, the fine print talks about Zrii:
Zrii - Unilevel Dynamically Compressed 9 levels with 3 Legs, NO breakage, herbs for erectile dysfunction due to Dynamic Compression.... Zrii is affiliated with BMW and has a program for their Distributors to acquire.
I take it that the first point is something about how you can get it on better if you know that your downline is "Unilevel Dynamically Compressed 9 levels with 3 Legs". More than that, I'm not gonna even try to guess.

And the second point - well, next time you go to your local BMW dealership, pick up some Zrii. Drink it, pour it in the transmission, your choice. It's not just a very expensive tonic, it's also a very expensive lubricant.

Hey - maybe that's the sexual connection.
- David Hume
littleroundman

Post by littleroundman »

Geez,

it makes my eyes water to even contemplate what sort of erectile dysfunction is being caused by "dynamic compression" never mind whether or not a herbal concoction can fix it.
Doc Bunkum

Post by Doc Bunkum »

Anybody heard from the faker, uh, excuse me, the fakir lately?

Any idea what he's up to?

Any interesting transcendental meditation classes? Any magical mystery tours coming up?
wserra

Post by wserra »

wserra wrote:Man, I would take that federal civil suit in a heartbeat.
As reported in today's Times, the two nurses settled the federal civil lawsuit for $750K, split between them. While to a jaded New Yorker that doesn't sound like enough, I'm sure it's a lot for Winkler County, TX.

In addition, the State Health Dept disciplined the hospital, and disciplinary charges are pending against the doctor. Note how that happens only after the national hue and cry. Beforehand, they couldn't even get anyone's attention.
- David Hume
Doc Bunkum

Post by Doc Bunkum »

In other legal news...

MonaVie alleges Zrii copied its pay plan
The Salt Lake Tribune Jun 18, 2010 10:48PM
MonaVie, the highly successful purveyor of nutritional fruit drinks, is suing Zrii, alleging the competitor ripped off its copyrighted plan for compensating independent distributors.
Interesting that a comp plan can be copyrighted.
Arthur Rubin
Tupa-O-Quatloosia

Post by Arthur Rubin »

Doc Bunkum wrote:In other legal news...

MonaVie alleges Zrii copied its pay plan
The Salt Lake Tribune Jun 18, 2010 10:48PM
MonaVie, the highly successful purveyor of nutritional fruit drinks, is suing Zrii, alleging the competitor ripped off its copyrighted plan for compensating independent distributors.
Interesting that a comp plan can be copyrighted.
I would think that patent or trade secret protection would be more appropriate.
Arthur Rubin, unemployed tax preparer and aerospace engineer
ImageJoin the Blue Ribbon Online Free Speech Campaign!

Butterflies are free. T-shirts are $19.95 $24.95 $29.95
ashlynne39
Illuminated Legate of Illustrious Legs

Post by ashlynne39 »

According to the Times story, the Prosecutor was apparently the doctor's personal lawyer.
wserra

Post by wserra »

There are certain hazards to using a bot to throw up a website just to attract search engines:
What does Zrii mean? Apparently, that it means light, lustre, hiilgus and welfare Sanskrit. If the company is not a scam is legitimate. Their main product is a foundation of ugg boots classic fruit being omanimeline is Amalaki. Okay, next peenemaid details. . . . These products appear to be good, but it’s something that strikes my socks off.
Hey, something that means "hiilgus" and is made from "omanimeline", "peenemaid" and ugg boots would strike my socks off too. And "If the company is not a scam is legitimate" - the wisdom of the East. Must come from Deepockets.
- David Hume
Doc Bunkum

Post by Doc Bunkum »

That Dan Maltais shyster I started a seperate thread about appears to have been a top honcho in ZRII, reaching the level of 7 Star Zrii Independent Distributor (whatever 7 stars indicate in the overall scheme of things).

In an e-mail to former Elur and Synaura reps he scammed out of their money owing, Maltais blows about what a wonderful opportunity Xowii is and his past successes:
We were 100K Premiers in Xango. We did that in 7 months. We built the largest group with Zrii and we did that in 90 days. We built an organization of tens of thousands in Monavie and we are doing it again with Xowii.

No wonder network marketing has such a bad rap with con artists like Maltais running rampant.

Wonder how many of those "tens of thousands" that joined Monavie are still happily working the business and are eagerly looking forward to receiving their monthly autoshit?

Or do you think possibly they're bad mouthing MLM to any of their friends they have left and telling them about their less than favorable experience with the business?

Just wondering. :whistle:
wserra

Post by wserra »

The other shoe is finally dropping in the saga of the incompetent, Zrii-distributing MD and his little buddies in west Texas.

According to an article in yesterday's Austin Statesman, earlier this year Greg Abbott, the Texas AG, indicted several of the major participants in the sordid saga for various offenses related to abuse of office - the doctor (Arafiles), sheriff (Roberts), county attorney (Tidwell) and hospital administrator (Wiley). In March, Wiley pleaded guilty and agreed to cooperate in the prosecution of the others. A few days ago, after less than two hours of deliberation, a jury convicted the sheriff on all counts. He was sentenced to time in his own jail, and will be removed from office due to the conviction. The doctor and county attorney face an upcoming trial.

It's the Zrii, I tell you.
- David Hume
Doc Bunkum

Post by Doc Bunkum »

The latest offering from Bill Farley, (and with the stamp of approval from Deepak Chopra), is NutriiVeda Achieve - a rather pricey all natural "weight loss" product with 22 bio-available vitamins and minerals, amino rich pure whey protein isolates, soluble fiber, gluten/casein free and no synthetic ingredients.

The List Price is $107.00, but they're willing to sell it to you for $80 Per Case - Contains: 1 pouch (30 day supply).

The NutriiVeda program promises to improve digestion, cleanse the tissues, lighten the body (and your wallet), create clarity in the mind, and revitalize your energetic core.

There are three distinct phases to the program, which spans 12 weeks. So that means then you need a 90 day supply of the stuff and that's going to set you back $240. (Shipping charges ranges between $13 - $19 U.S. dollars for U.S. customers and $35 - $65 international, so do the math).
The first phase, Incorporation and Detoxification, lasts for two weeks and involves a gradual undoing of lifelong dietary and lifestyle habits that work against health rather than promote it.

The second phase, Creating Balance, builds upon the first phase and places more of an emphasis on eating according to your dosha, an Ayurvedic term for your constitution. The program includes a questionnaire to help you determine your doshic make-up. The Creating Balance phase lasts until you reach your weight loss goal.

The third and final phase, the Maintaining the Lifestyle phase, is intended to be carried onward in order to sustain the improvements you have made in your health during the first two phases and continue to work towards a balanced life.

Each phase includes adhering to the five key principles to body transformation: The regular consumption of the NutriiVeda shake, a special kind of shake comprised of Indian herbs that promote digestion and overall wellness, dietary guidelines, exercise guidelines, mind-body practices,wellness journaling and self-reflection.
Personally, I think I'll just skip to the 2nd phase and start eating according to my doshic make-up and save myself $300.
Doc Bunkum

Post by Doc Bunkum »

Dr. K. Stiln provides an honest assessment of the NutriiVeda Achieve "weight loss" plan:
This product is just as useless as decades of fitness drinks before it. DEEPAK CHOPRA is their major advocate. This is like having L. Ron Hubbard endorse a sports drink cult. The people who sell this product are straight from Stepford and ALL have the same schtick of false positivity. Zrii is a network marketing group that lures people who are down on their financial luck into thinking they have a great product to sling to folks. What they have, though, is a VERY expensive, processed juice beverage that does not chemically compare to what your body needs to sustain healthy balance.

Has anyone been approached by these Zrii pyramid salespeople? I have yet to see one who looks fit or as if they are really reaping benefits from this product that would justify the price. Would you go to a doctor who was smoking crack? Why would you buy a health loss product from an unfit person or someone who has obviously not met BMI goals (but who is trying to tell you how fantastic this product is)? Think about it.

This is not a health loss miracle. It is a get-rich-quick scheme in disguise.

Weight loss is much more about willpower and psychological reconditioning. Many, many studies over a century of research have proven that those seeking weight loss need to commit to a healthy, balanced diet of foods courtesy of nature and an exercise plan that is incrementally adjusted to serve your individual needs.

Save your money. Hire a nutritionist for an initial consultation and purchase a fitness membership or piece of home fitness equipment. Visit your local farmers' market for fresh foods that you can cheaply make nutritional meals with.

Retrain your brain. Your body will follow. Lazily drinking stuff like this Zrii does nothing for your brain or body but put your system in temporary diet shock. The results will be impermanent and do nothing to redirect your overall fitness.
Uh, yeah.

Couldn't have said it any better myself! :o