Contacting people from high school?!

"Buy 1 for yourself and get the chance to sell your friends and family 5 and get your downline started!" We examine the multi-level marketing industry, where only the people who come up with the ideas make any money, and everybody else is left unhappy, broke, and tired of reading scripts and selling overpriced vitamins and similarly worthless products. Includes Global Prosperity, Pinnacle Quest International, IRS Codebusters, Stratia, and other new Global Prosperity scams.

Moderator: wserra

starfaith

Contacting people from high school?!

Post by starfaith »

I wasn't popular in high school, in fact I was the kid that other kids were embarassed to be seen talking to. I ate alone in the cafeteria (usually) and wasn't picked for teams in PE class. Now 20 years later these people I went to school with are contacting me via social networking sites and hey, I don't hold grudges, so I accept their friend request. But it turns out 9 out of 10 of them are contacting me about recruiting me into their business, which is - you guessed it: Multi-level Marketing. This latest one is Mary Kay cosmetics. Now I have one thing to say: if you didn't like me then, you shouldn't like me now. I am not the person you should be recruiting. I can accept being a "reject", but I think people at least need to be consistent about it. Again, if you didn't want my company before, you should not want it now. And I thank God that even though I may have been a social outcast at one point in my life, at LEAST I was never freaking dumb enough to get into any network marketing business.

Thanks, rant over.
Good bye.
Kestrel
Endangerer of Stupid Species

Re: Contacting people from high school?!

Post by Kestrel »

Welcome to Quatloos, Starfaith.

Your experience is a good barometer for just exactly how barren the multi-level marketing business model really is. If there was even a shred of genuine reward potential, buyers would be beating a path to their doors. Instead all you find is desperate sellers making futile attempts to sell and recruit.

The word is getting out.

You mentioned Mary Kay. Have you checked out the anti-Mary Kay, anti-MLM website at www.pinktruth.com?
"Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes your time and annoys the pig." - Robert Heinlein
starfaith

Re: Contacting people from high school?!

Post by starfaith »

I have learned about Mary Kay over the past 15 years or so and read various sites about their business. I was recently invited to one of their sales parties. I am not attending, of course. Every single person I've known who sold Mary Kay has lost money in it. Most of them quit after 3 months or so.