Frank Bertucci - Another Freeman Tax Court Failure

Moderator: Burnaby49

Burnaby49
Quatloosian Ambassador to the CaliCanadians
Quatloosian Ambassador to the CaliCanadians

Frank Bertucci - Another Freeman Tax Court Failure

Post by Burnaby49 »

The Tax Court of Canada is getting a tidal wave of Freemen tax protester. As I reported here;

viewtopic.php?f=50&t=9488

they are getting very efficient at disposing of them, almost getting to be an assembly line operation. Next up for review Frank Joseph Bertucci;

http://decision.tcc-cci.gc.ca/tcc-cci/d ... 7/index.do

This decision is a bit longer than the current standard Tax Court Freeman dismissal because there were factual issues to review. The issue under appeal was Bertucci's refusal to file his 2001 and 2002 income tax returns. This apparently took until 2014 to get to Tax Court because he had a prior appeal on whether he was an employee or independant contractor of a company he owned. This did not get resoved until 2007 when the Tax Court determined him to be an independant contractor;

http://decision.tcc-cci.gc.ca/tcc-cci/d ... Y2kAAAAAAQ

There was no rush as far as the Canada Revenue Agency was concerned. The CRA has three years from the date a tax return is filed to reassess, after that, absent fraud or gross negligence, it can't be touched. However, since Bertucci had never filed the returns, there was no limit on how long the CRA could wait before assessing him.

Bertucci tried to convince the court that he wasn't refusing to pay his taxes because of any unseemly self-interest but because he was bravely fighting for the "little people";
5] At the beginning of the hearing, the Appellant stated that he did not intend to be adversarial; he was in court to represent the “little people” by finding ways to minimize his taxes. It was his position that in 2001 and 2002 he was engaged as an independent contractor and the ITA (note - Income Tax Act) did not apply to independent contractors. He also argued that the ITA is incomprehensible to the common person and it should not apply.
The court's analysis of Bertonni's Freeman arguments (although he disavowed being one!) deserves to be quoted in full;
[6] Although the Appellant stated that he did not belong to a particular group, he used the concepts and terminology associated with the Organized Pseudolegal Commercial Argument (“OPCA”) litigant who was described by J.D. Rooke A.C.J.Q.B. in Meads v Meads, 2012 ABQB 571. The Appellant relied on a plethora of legislation (none of which was relevant except the ITA); legal maxims; definitions from the Canadian Law Dictionary; forms and letters from the CRA; and forms from various departments in the Ontario government. He stated that the forms from the CRA were not clear whereas the forms from the Ontario government were unambiguous; he questioned whether the T1 form with the General Income Tax and Benefit Guide was “legitimate”; and, whether the CRA represents the Minister of National Revenue. It appeared to me that the essence of his argument was that the definition of “person” in the ITA did not clearly state that it applied to him as a “human being, a private individual” and an independent contractor.

[7] It is my view that the Appellant, like most litigants who use the tactics of saying that the ITA does not apply to them, did not really misunderstand the ITA. In the present case, the Appellant did not misunderstand the definition of “person” in the ITA. His actions and letters to the CRA indicated a “conscious intention to disobey”. See Meads (supra) at paragraph 561. The Appellant was not trying to minimize his taxes but was avoiding the payment of any taxes. There was absolutely no merit to any of his arguments.

[8] In conclusion, the Appellant was a “person” resident in Ontario, Canada in 2001 and 2002 and the income he received in those years is taxable. There was never a dispute that he received income of $16,221 and $31,764 in 2001 and 2002 respectively and that he did not file his income tax returns for those years. Late filing penalties were correctly assessed against the Appellant. The appeal is dismissed.
Meads v. Meads is shaping up to be the most cited case in the history of Canadian jurisprudence. Bertucci's argument that he is not a person as defined in the Canadian Income Tax Act is classic Freeman. It has been consistantly rejected by the courts, including most of the trials I've covered in my first-hand reports, but these guys still dredge it up and try it yet again.
"Yes Burnaby49, I do in fact believe all process servers are peace officers. I've good reason to believe so." Robert Menard in his May 28, 2015 video "Process Servers".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XeI-J2PhdGs
Dr. Caligari
J.D., Miskatonic University School of Crickets

Re: Frank Bertucci - Another Freeman Tax Court Failure

Post by Dr. Caligari »

Bertucci's argument that he is not a person as defined in the Canadian Income Tax Act is classic Freeman.
One of my fellow Quatloosians (I believe it was Judge Bean) suggested that, any time a litigant argues "I am not a person," the judge should immediately call the Animal Control Officers and have him taken to the dog pound.
Dr. Caligari
(Du musst Caligari werden!)
grixit
Recycler of Paytriot Fantasies

Post by grixit »

Time for Canada to adopt its own frivpens and warning lists.
Three cheers for the Lesser Evil!

10 . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 2
. . . . . . Dr Pepper
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . .. . . 4
Pottapaug1938
Supreme Prophet (Junior Division)

Post by Pottapaug1938 »

Dr. Caligari wrote:
Bertucci's argument that he is not a person as defined in the Canadian Income Tax Act is classic Freeman.
One of my fellow Quatloosians (I believe it was Judge Bean) suggested that, any time a litigant argues "I am not a person," the judge should immediately call the Animal Control Officers and have him taken to the dog pound.
Since these idjits are fond of invoking maritime law, especially if gold-fringed flags are found in their courtroom, and/or claiming that they are a "vessel in commerce" (or something like that), I suggest taking these people to the nearest Coast Guard secure facility and lashing them securely to the nearest pier.
"We've been attacked by the intelligent, educated segment of the culture." -- Pastor Ray Mummert, Dover, PA, during an attempt to introduce creationism -- er, "intelligent design", into the Dover Public Schools
LaVidaRoja
Basileus Quatlooseus

Post by LaVidaRoja »

Why not revive keel-hauling? Especially effective on aircraft carriers!
Little boys who tell lies grow up to be weathermen.
The Observer
Further Moderator

Post by The Observer »

And when they argue that they are not a "citizen" of the country in question, then the court should rule in favor of that argument and have them deported immediately to Somalia, North Korea or the new "caliphate" of ISIL.
"I could be dead wrong on this" - Irwin Schiff

"Do you realize I may even be delusional with respect to my income tax beliefs? " - Irwin Schiff