Peter Balogh - Poriskyite Holistic Dentist

Moderator: Burnaby49

Burnaby49
Quatloosian Ambassador to the CaliCanadians

Re: Peter Balogh - Poriskyite Holistic Dentist

Post by Burnaby49 »

I've written in other discussions that Michael Millar was the last of my Poriskyites. He'd dragged proceedings on for so long that he ended up the last man standing amongst the rubble of the Paradigm tax evasion scheme. After his tax evasion trial was concluded I wrote that I'd probably attended my last court hearing because the Canadian freeman movement was now almost totally dead and the Porisky tax evasion trials were now all finished.

Well I was wrong. I'd totally forgotten about Dr. Peter Balogh, a Burnaby Dentist, operating in my home municipality;

https://www.vccid.com/about-us/meet-dr-balogh/

Balogh has had his ups and downs.

Up - Years of cheating the taxman and keeping all of his very substantial income.
Down - Charged with income tax evasion and convicted but . . . .
Up - Charges stayed because of delay which meant he was a free man.
Down - Delay decision reversed on crown's appeal and conviction reinstated.
Up - Granted permission to appeal the crown's successful appeal.

That last one might seem a bit confusing. How can you appeal a decision by the British Columbia Court of Appeal at the same court? I wrote about this in a prior posting;
A bit of explanation needed on that one. We have three levels of court in British Columbia that can be involved in tax evasion cases, the Provincial Court of British Columbia, the Supreme Court of British Columbia, and the British Columbia Court of Appeal. The Provincial and Supreme courts are the trial courts. The Supreme Court is the higher court. The BCCA hears appeals from both. However appeals of summary conviction decisions from trials at the Provincial Court (as this one was) are first heard by a single judge of the Provincial Court. My previous posting was about the Crown's appeal of Balogh's trial decision heard by the single judge. Balogh had the right to appeal this decision to the BCCA and he has just filed an application for leave to appeal to the Court of Appeal.

You can read the judgment allowing him to appeal here;

https://www.canlii.org/en/bc/bcca/doc/2 ... ca367.html

The judgment noted that;
[4] In order to obtain leave to appeal to this court from an order of a summary conviction appeal judge pursuant to s. 839 of the Criminal Code, R.S.C. 1985, c. C 46, the applicant must establish that:

a) the grounds of appeal raise an issue of law alone;
b) the issue is one of importance; and
c) there is sufficient merit to the appeal to warrant leave being granted.

So Balogh's lawyer made sure to clear the first hurdle by appealing only on law. The second was also easy because the main issue related to a significant delay caused by the unavailability of defense counsel, a legal issue that was both uncertain and important. The rules on undue delay in Canadian trials are very much in flux at the moment because of Jordan, a Supreme Court of Canada case. Jordan threw out all of the old rules and set up a new batch but with great uncertainty as to how they would be applied. Canadian courts have been grappling with Jordan implications ever since and Balogh's appeal became one of them. I have analyzed Jordan extensively in other postings in this discussion. For the purpose of this post it is sufficient to say that defense delay touched on an aspect of Jordan not yet fully considered in prior court decisions.

When I made my last post on this discussion on March 27, 2018 Balogh had been granted the right to appeal the delay decision. Finally, Two years later, the appeal has been heard and Balogh lost, so definitely a 'down' to add to the above list. This means his conviction for tax evasion stands. In my opinion this is the correct outcome, I thought the trial judge's decision to stay charges because of delay was clearly in error. The decision came down to the allocation of a seven month trial delay which had been caused entirely by Balogh. He'd represented himself initially using sovereign gibberish. When this got nowhere and with trial looming he finally decided to retain a lawyer. The specific lawyer he chose (who eventually represented him at trial and on appeal) wasn't currently available because he was fully engaged in other litigation so Balogh asked the court for an adjournment until the lawyer was free to represent him. The crown did not contest the adjournment request and it was granted. Balogh's counsel then argued at trial that the resulting seven month delay until he (the lawyer) was available was attributable to the crown rather than his client on the grounds that the crown hadn't contested Balogh's request for an adjournment. As I wrote at the time;
That didn't make any sense at all to me because, if it worked, every defence lawyer would be dragging his heals running out the clock then demanding that charges be stayed because of delay. If the court, aware of this, refused the adjournments it would leave defense a potential appeal on the grounds that they were not allowed the time to properly prepare their case.

In the recent decision the Court of Appeal agreed with my assessment. The decision stated, in part;
[35] The approach contended for by Mr. Balogh is, in my view, contrary to both the letter and the spirit of Jordan. It is contrary to the letter because Jordan applies to all cases in the system subject to the two transitional exceptional circumstances described above. It is contrary to the spirit of Jordan because the case calls on all participants in the justice system to work in concert to achieve speedier trials: para. 116. Each side is to be held accountable for the circumstances within their control. The defence is not to be allowed to benefit from its own delay causing conduct (Jordan at para. 60), and the Crown will not be held accountable for circumstances that cause the ceiling to be breached that are genuinely outside of its control: Jordan at para. 112.

[36] It is in this light that the busy trial calendar of Mr. Balogh’s counsel must be considered. Defence counsel, of course, cannot be faulted for not always being available when the court and the Crown are ready to set a date. But under Jordan, attribution of delay is not about blame—it is about creating “incentives for both sides … to enhance accountability by fostering proactive, preventative problem solving”: Jordan at para. 112. In the present case, neither the Crown nor the court before whom Mr. Balogh was tried had an ability to mitigate delay caused by Mr. Balogh’s choice of counsel or that counsel’s schedule.

[37] A judge’s task on a s. 11(b) application is to determine whether the state has failed to provide an accused with a trial within a reasonable time as guaranteed by the Charter. A stay of proceedings under s. 11(b) is a rebuke to state action, and the state should not be rebuked because defence counsel is unavailable: R. v. Pelletier, 2016 BCSC 2496.

[38] It is convenient to address here Mr. Balogh’s argument that the determining factor, even under the Jordan analysis, is the cause of the adjournment, with the party causing the adjournment to be responsible for all delay until a new date is set. In my view, the premise is unsound because it fails to distinguish between the cause of the adjournment and the cause of the delay, which will not always coincide. Although it was the unavailability of the judge which caused the adjournment of the third trial date, the state was prepared to set a date within a few months and should only be held responsible for the delay between the third trial date and October 2015, when the court and Crown were ready to proceed to trial but defence counsel was not. Thereafter it was only the unavailability of defence counsel that precluded the trial from proceeding.

[39] Mr. Balogh was entitled to retain the counsel of his choice, but he cannot use his counsel’s unavailability to argue that the state has breached his right to be tried within a reasonable time.

R. v. Balogh
2020 BCCA 96
http://canlii.ca/t/j5zj3

So, barring an appeal to the Supreme Court of Canada, that's that. Balogh's conviction stands and next up is his sentencing hearing where the court will determine sentence after a lot of mitigating and aggravating circumstances analysis. I'm assuming he won't get jail time, that would be unusual for a first offender without any (at the moment) significant aggravating circumstances but that's up to the judge. As I understand it he can't appeal his conviction since he's already done that however he can appeal his sentence. Both Lawson and Millar appealed their sentences but they both received significant jail time. Balogh may chose to just let it go if he receives a conditional sentence which would allow him to continue to practice dentistry while serving out his time.
"Yes Burnaby49, I do in fact believe all process servers are peace officers. I've good reason to believe so." Robert Menard in his May 28, 2015 video "Process Servers".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XeI-J2PhdGs
The Observer
Further Moderator

Post by The Observer »

Burnaby49 wrote: Sat May 02, 2020 3:22 am Balogh has had his ups and downs.

Up - Years of cheating the taxman and keeping all of his very substantial income.
A few questions:

1) I am assuming that Balogh is providing general oral care and his services are not covered by Canadian national health insurance. Is that how he was able to avoid paying and not having tax payments deducted off his paycheck?

2) You said he would probably avoid jail time since there were no "...significant aggravating circumstances..." present in his case. Years of tax evasion are not considered to be aggravating circumstances?
"I could be dead wrong on this" - Irwin Schiff

"Do you realize I may even be delusional with respect to my income tax beliefs? " - Irwin Schiff
Burnaby49

Post by Burnaby49 »

1 - It is all in my postings, but yes, dental care is not covered by the Canada's publicly funded health care system so dentists are really no different than any other small businessmen. They are paid by the patient or (as in my case) the patient's insurance-backed dental plan. This is a reason so many dentists were able to participate in the Paradigm scheme. Since they were not government funded they could, and did, hide their income from the CRA. From what I can recall Balogh's scheme was extremely simple. He paid out all of the profits of his practice to himself as a claimed independent contractor so the practice had no net income then did not file personal income tax returns declaring his contracting fees.

2 - Cheating on taxes is not considered an aggravating circumstance, it's the crime he was convicted of committing. If the crime was an aggravating circumstance every convicted criminal would have a negative mark against him on sentencing. There is a sentencing range for crimes and aggravating circumstances are factors, apart from committing the crime, that the judge considers in fitting the sentence within that range. For example compare Balogh, who has no criminal history, to someone who has been convicted of tax evasion for the third time. Since being a repeat offender is an aggravating circumstance our hypothetical offender would generally get a substantially heavier sentence than Balogh. For whatever reason lack of remorse is considered an aggravating circumstance. This counted against Keith Lawson who refused to admit, or even believe, that he'd committed any crime, even after conviction.
"Yes Burnaby49, I do in fact believe all process servers are peace officers. I've good reason to believe so." Robert Menard in his May 28, 2015 video "Process Servers".

friendofafriend
Swabby
Swabby

Re: Peter Balogh - Dentist professional misconduct complaint

Post by friendofafriend »

For what it's worth, it's my understanding that a professional misconduct complaint has been filed with the BC College of Dental Surgeons as a result of Balogh's tax evasion convictions now that they've been upheld at the BC Court of Appeal.

Below are the values and ethics that BC dentists are required to uphold:

https://www.cdsbc.org/CDSBCPublicLibrar ... Ethics.pdf
Core Values:
Integrity - Be truthful; behave with honour and decency while upholding professional standards.

Principles
Code of Ethics
3. Be truthful and obey all applicable laws.
Burnaby49

Post by Burnaby49 »

Maybe that's why he's been fighting so hard, his livelihood might be at stake. That wasn't the case for Keith Lawson or Michael Millar but they had their own problems with both facing jail terms.

TBL
Admiral of the Quatloosian Seas
Admiral of the Quatloosian Seas

Post by TBL »

It seems to me that he may have seen the light. Perhaps a reprimand, but I don't know that he should lose his license.
Burnaby49

Post by Burnaby49 »

I agree, there's no point in taking away his livelihood. I'm not saying that he will lose his license but that he has quite legitimate reasons for concern about a professional misconduct complaint in respect to his criminal conviction.

Eva Sydel, another Vancouver Paradigm follower, was a dentist who lost her license. But she was an extreme case, so obsessed and confrontational that she forced the court to sentence her to jail and it's not clear whether she had her license revoked or whether her practice just collapsed while she was fighting charges and serving her time.

Burnaby49

Post by Burnaby49 »

Dr. Balogh's been in a bit of an accident;

https://www.gulfislandsdriftwood.com/ne ... newspaper/

An interesting aircraft.

eric
Trivial Observer of Great War

Post by eric »

I actually found this part of the article more interesting:
Family members of the airplane’s pilot, Gabor Balogh, attempted to either buy up all the papers or have them removed from sales points. Readers, advertisers, community groups promoting activities and even islanders placing obituaries for loved ones were all impacted while Driftwood staff fought to keep the newspapers on the shelves.
Maybe it wasn't just an attempt to preserve family privacy after screwing up a landing and doing a ground loop. I checked on google and you would be damn hard pressed and require perfect conditions to land on that airstrip.
According to specifications provided at http://lakeamphibclub.com/performance-specs/ the plane requires 600 feet for a land takeoff, and 475 feet for a landing. The Transportation Safety Board is investigating the accident, as it does with all incidents involving privately registered aircraft.
More important is the take off/landing roll over 50' - the distance required to clear an obstacle over 50' high which is 1050/950 for that aircraft - barely enough room on that strip.
Burnaby49

Post by Burnaby49 »

It's a private grass airstrip on his property so probably not in the best of shape and, as you've noted, probably just long enough under good conditions to use safely. I have no idea about the level of his piloting skills but he'd need to be damn good to handle an airstrip like that consistently, there's probably no margin for error.

Burnaby49

Post by Burnaby49 »

I’ve been guilt tripped by LordEd, virtually forced against my will to write this posting. What blatant coercion, what gun did he put to my head to force me, very reluctantly, to pull myself out of my heat wave induced somnambulance?

He PM’d me this link;

https://www.google.com/amp/s/beta.ctvne ... 04350.html

It’s a newspaper report about a recent sentencing hearing for Dr. Balogh, the subject of this thread,
VANCOUVER -- A West Vancouver dentist has been fined more than half a million dollars and ordered to pay taxes on more than $2 million worth of income that he failed to report over a period of five years.

According to the Canada Revenue Agency, Dr. Peter Balogh was sentenced in provincial court earlier this week in a case that dates back more than a decade.

The court ordered Balogh to pay a fine of $578,885, a total equivalent to the amount of tax he evaded during the 2005 to 2009 tax years, according to the CRA. Balogh is also required to pay the taxes he owes, plus any accumulated fines and interest, the CRA said.

The agency said Balogh was also given an 18-month conditional sentence in the case.
Once I could arouse myself to check I found numerous media reports, all seemingly based on the same CRA news release;

https://www.vancouverisawesome.com/bc-n ... on-3944457

https://www.oralhealthgroup.com/news/we ... 003960727/

https://www.northshoredailypost.com/wes ... x-evasion/

This one was a bit more pointed;
They say nothing is certain in life except death and taxes.
One Burnaby dentist tried to cheat the latter and got nailed in the process.
Good.

All told, the dentist failed to report $2.177 million in taxable income. What makes things even worse, in my mind, is that he was even warned by his own accountant not to do this and he did it anyways. That's some arrogance.

Look, we all hate to pay taxes. Well, most of us. I appreciate the need to pay taxes because they pay for vital services, such as universal health care, road maintenance and, well, the list goes on and on.
It’s ridiculous and offensive to see people who can easily afford to pay taxes, like dentists, try and cheat the system because they don’t think the laws apply to them. I bet this dentist benefits from all sorts of services that are paid for by our taxes. And yet, he’s trying to avoid them.
https://www.burnabynow.com/opinion/opin ... ce-3945984

And this is the Canada Revenue News Release;

https://www.canada.ca/en/revenue-agency ... ntist.html

So why does this induce guilt at my own indolence? I already knew all of this, I was there. I attended Balogh’s sentencing hearing a week ago, took my normal incomprehensible notes, but was just too damn lazy to bother writing it up until LordEd nagged me. So fine LordEd, here it is. Happy now? HAPPY NOW? However, true to my new slack-ass worldview, I'm breaking this entry into two parts. Next part tomorrow, maybe, eventually . . . . .

I’d been anticipating Balogh’s sentencing hearing for months, I'd had it marked on my kitchen calendar hoping that covid rules would be relaxed enough by early July to allow attendance at court hearings. On the morning of July 7th it was still unclear, at least to me. I couldn’t get any certainty from the Provincial Court website, so I decided to go on spec. If nothing else a good chance to see what covid protocols were still in effect. I’m as covid-proof as I’m going to get, two shots of Pfizer and masks at almost all times.

The first change I ran into was on public transit. Masks were mandatory last time I took transit but are now only recommended but not required. My personal rule is that if I run into this stipulation I wear a mask, so mask on. Most people on the bus and Skytrain wore them anyhow with relatively few choosing not to. Interestingly the non-maskers seemed to be largely young women. I’ve got no theory on why that is. I had to answer a covid checklist given by a police officer at the entrance to the courthouse but even here masks are recommended but not required with a significant exception, they are still required in courtrooms. That became a bit of an issue at our hearing.

Seating was limited. While there were five double rows of benches for spectators covid rules allowed only one person per row. When it was time for the hearing to start we had a fair turnout, two Crown attorneys, a small group of what seemed to be legal students, and me but Balogh and Ken Beatch, his lawyer were not in the courtroom. I knew Balogh was in the courthouse because I’d seen him and his wife walking by the courtroom just prior to the hearing so when the court clerk asked if he was in attendance I said he was somewhere in the building. He came in about five minutes late with his wife and lawyer. The lawyer was late because of traffic. This had happened at trial too. His practice is located in Abbotsford, way up in the Fraser Valley, and he has to take Highway 1 into town, a notorious bottleneck. It used to be far, far worse because traffic on the entire highway system in and out of Vancouver to the east has to cross the Port Mann bridge. The original bridge, built in 1968 was totally inadequate almost as soon as it was built. It has been replaced by a new bridge, I've read it's the widest bridge in the world, along with major improvements to Highway 1, but traffic still constantly clogs up.

Balogh’s wife was wearing a mask but Balogh and Beatch were not. Beatch started arguing with the court clerk that he shouldn’t be required to wear one because the rules are confusing and it was his understanding it was discretionary. He was told to tell the judge, it was his decision, but until then they had to wear masks and the clerk gave them a mask each. When the judge entered the courtroom he was wearing a mask and Beatch chose not to bring the issue up so it was time to start.

At this point a bit of back-story is in order, all previously reported here. The trial ended almost five years ago but been trapped in appeals hell ever since. Balogh was found guilty of tax evasion but charges were stayed for excessive delay. This meant that while the judge found Balogh guilty it was not formally entered as a verdict and instead the trial was just stopped.

I was astounded by the decision. During the trial Balogh had requested, and was granted, an indefinite adjournment until his counsel of choice was free to represent him. It took seven months before Mr. Beatch was available for the trial. This seven months seemed, at least to me, to be obviously a delay attributable to Balogh. However the judge, for reasons that made little sense to me, attributed it to the Crown’s accumulated delay. This took Balogh over the top for excessive delay resulting in proceedings being stayed. I just couldn’t see how an adjournment requested by the defendant could be counted against the Crown. As I wrote at the time;
That didn't make any sense at all to me because, if it worked, every defence lawyer would be dragging his heals running out the clock then demanding that charges be stayed because of delay. If the court, aware of this, refused the adjournments it would leave defense a potential appeal on the grounds that they were not allowed the time to properly prepare their case.
Two levels of appeal reviews agreed with me and reversed the judge’s decision on delay, reinstated the guilty conviction, and sent the case back to the original trial judge for sentencing. And so there we were in courtroom 102 of the Provincial court of British Columbia, part of the courthouse complex at Robson Square, Vancouver. I’ll note the usual problem of the judge speaking quickly from a prepared text and a couple of unusual covid-related ones. The judge wore a mask somewhat muffling his speech and my mask kept making my glasses steam up. So I tried for the gist of what he was saying rather than a faithful draft.

He first noted that his decision regarding delay had been reversed on appeal and the case sent back to him for sentencing. Then he was off on a history of the file. Some highlights;

1 – In 2005 Balogh became a student of the Paradigm group. He instructed his accountant to record him as a contractor and skimmed funds as contractor expenses but didn’t pay personal taxes on them.

2 – He evaded paying $578,855 in taxes and now owes over $1,500,000. He’s 59 years old and there are only 10 dentists like himself in British Columbia. He has a successful practice with 15 employees. Judge ran through a bit of history of his dental work outside of his practice. Largely teaching courses in Implantology. This is how Balogh describes what he does;
Dr. Peter Balogh has been providing general dental care in the Vancouver area since 1992.
Educated in Canada, and a practicing family dentist for over 25 years, Dr. Balogh has a special interest in and focus on cosmetic and implant dentistry, having accumulated 2000 hours of continuing education in the field of dental implants alone, as well as hundreds of additional hours in related fields. Since 1992, Dr. Balogh has been providing all phases of implant dentistry, including bone grafting, surgical placement and prosthetic reconstruction.

Dr. Balogh has a full-time private practice, the Vancouver Centre for Cosmetic and Implant Dentistry, based in Burnaby, BC. He currently is a part-time surgical instructor, mentor and facilitator at the UBC Faculty of Dentistry in association with the AAID Vancouver Maxicourse, a comprehensive implant surgical training program for dentists

Previously he has been an Apex mentor for the University of Boston School of Dental Medicine and a past mentor/instructor to dentists for the Kavo Dental Laser. Dr. Balogh has lectured and hosted seminars for dentists and denturists on the prosthetic and surgical placement of implants.
https://www.vccid.com/about-us/meet-dr-balogh/

The link also included a long dissertation on his religious beliefs, something the judge brought up in court in a review of the letters of support. Some letters were from other British Columbia dental practitioners praising his skills and dedication to the profession. Other letters were from members of his Baptist church commending him on his faith and biblical wisdom. His religious beliefs may have resulted from the stress of his tax problems. As he himself wrote;
Many times in the past I had been exposed to “religion” but for me there was no deeper meaning or truth to the words. However, in searching for understanding during my time of difficulty, I picked up a bible (which my wife had given me) and for the very first time the words and their hidden meaning came to life. I still doubted and questioned but did so with an open mind and heart that maybe, just maybe, some things do indeed exist that are currently way beyond my understanding.
All that done the judge got down to business.

friendofafriend
Swabby
Swabby

Balogh - the Dentists show CRA how it's done

Post by friendofafriend »

The College of Dental Surgeons of British Columbia schools the Canada Revenue Agency on how to deal with their members who are scofflaws and defraud their fellow citizens by not paying hundreds of thousands of dollars in taxes - YOU REPRIMAND THEM! AND, YOU MAKE THEM TAKE AN ETHICS COURSE - AT THEIR OWN EXPENSE EVEN!!!

---
https://www.cdsbc.org/Public-Protection ... ter-balogh

Admissions
Dr. Balogh has admitted to professional misconduct and unprofessional conduct in that he was criminally convicted of one count of making a false tax return and five counts of failing to report taxable income for offences that took place between 2005 and 2009, contrary to sections 239(1)(a) and 239(1)(d) of the Income Tax Act.

Resolution
A panel of the Inquiry Committee received and considered Dr. Balogh's proposal. In accepting his proposal, the Inquiry Committee issued a discipline order (PDF)​ on July 8 under section 39(2)​ of the Health Professions Act. The order states that Dr. Balogh:

- ​​is reprimanded
- must successfully complete, at his own cost, a multi-day ethics and professionalism course​​
---

I bet that'll learn him! Plea bargains for professional misconduct never looked so good. Here is the agreed statement of facts:

https://www.cdsbc.org/Documents/Notices ... -Order.pdf

The interesting thing in here is paragraph 5.2 where Peter Balogh commits to comply with any Court order as part of his criminal sentencing and will Pay Unto Caesar (CRA) all back taxes and penalties owing at the conclusion of any appeals.
Burnaby49

Post by Burnaby49 »

I don't want him to lose his job, he has 15 staff and a lot of taxes to pay. I'd be satisfied with him paying off his taxes, penalties and interest. However, as you'll see from my comments in part 2, I'm not particularly optimistic. While the judge did not say whether or not Balogh has made any payments on his outstanding balance since his conviction five years ago his current debt, even ignoring the latest fine, seems to indicate that he's paid off little or nothing. As far as I can tell all of the taxes assessed against him as a result of his criminal evasion are still outstanding. Part 3.5 of the Admissions that friendofafriend provided states that he is currently appealing the amount of the taxes owing. Taxpayers are not required to make any payments on outstanding taxes while an appeal is in process so he may be sheltered from any repayment requirements for quite a while yet. The judge was extremely generous in his payment requirement for the new $578,885 fine so that probably won't be repaid anytime soon either.

The Observer
Further Moderator

Post by The Observer »

Burnaby49 wrote: Thu Jul 15, 2021 5:12 am Taxpayers are not required to make any payments on outstanding taxes while an appeal is in process so he may be sheltered from any repayment requirements for quite a while yet. The judge was extremely generous in his payment requirement for the new $578,885 fine so that probably won't be repaid anytime soon either.
Yes, the generosity of judicial systems seem to undermine their own rulings. And does Balogh have other remedies after he loses his appeal(s), such as filing for bankruptcy, that would allow him to postpone or otherwise avoid completely paying the taxes back? I am not sure what the rules covering unpaid taxes work under Canadian bankruptcy.

Here in the US you generally have to wait 3 years, depending on the timeliness of filing a return and assessment, before being able to file a bankruptcy petition in a Chapter 7 that would allow for discharge of some or all of the taxes. And there were changes in the bankruptcy code that tightened up the ability for someone to get into a Chapter 7. While a Chapter 13 repayment plan may allow for some discharge of taxes, that is all dependent on how the judge structures the repayment plan on a 3 or 5 year plan.

"Do you realize I may even be delusional with respect to my income tax beliefs? " - Irwin Schiff
notorial dissent
A Balthazar of Quatloosian Truth

Post by notorial dissent »

If Balogh had any ethics to begin with he would be in his current predicament. I guess one of the thing I don't understand is that when someone has an ongoing thriving business and owes those kind of taxes that they don't put them under essentially a bankruptcy trustee until the demand is paid off and so that they can't cheat while paying off the taxes.
The fact that you sincerely and wholeheartedly believe that the “Law of Gravity” is unconstitutional and a violation of your sovereign rights, does not absolve you of adherence to it.
The Observer
Further Moderator

Post by The Observer »

notorial dissent wrote: Thu Jul 15, 2021 3:30 pm I guess one of the thing I don't understand is that when someone has an ongoing thriving business and owes those kind of taxes that they don't put them under essentially a bankruptcy trustee until the demand is paid off and so that they can't cheat while paying off the taxes.
I can't speak for Canada, but in the US the government has the option to go into court and request some sort of an injunction that requires the taxpayer to file and pay their payroll taxes every month. But that is typically a case where the government has to show that everything else that could have been accomplished administratively has been attempted and failed to bring the taxpayer into compliance. The bottom line is that federal judges do not want to be in the position of putting a taxpayer out of business and unable to support themselves. Thus the reason for the extreme burden of proof required before the court will intervene. Even the monthly plan doesn't always work out and courts have been known to tell the IRS to work something else out with the taxpayer since the judge doesn't have another alternative resolution.

But that is for payroll taxes, and I have never heard of an injunction being granted against taxpayers who are are serial non-payers. In cases where a criminal conviction is present, evaders do have a requirement to make an honest effort to pay their past due taxes once they are released. Federal probation officers in these cases will make contact with the IRS to ensure that that that taxpayer is currently filing returns and making good on the back taxes. If the IRS has determined that the taxpayer is unable to currently pay (usually due to the taxpayer unable to secure meaningful employment due to their federal conviction) then that will not result in a probation violation.

Burnaby49

Post by Burnaby49 »

Yes, the generosity of judicial systems seem to undermine their own rulings. And does Balogh have other remedies after he loses his appeal(s), such as filing for bankruptcy, that would allow him to postpone or otherwise avoid completely paying the taxes back? I am not sure what the rules covering unpaid taxes work under Canadian bankruptcy.

Here in the US you generally have to wait 3 years, depending on the timeliness of filing a return and assessment, before being able to file a bankruptcy petition in a Chapter 7 that would allow for discharge of some or all of the taxes. And there were changes in the bankruptcy code that tightened up the ability for someone to get into a Chapter 7. While a Chapter 13 repayment plan may allow for some discharge of taxes, that is all dependent on how the judge structures the repayment plan on a 3 or 5 year plan.
I've been so long retired that I've forgotten the rules regarding tax bankruptcy. As an auditor I had access to a service provided by an accounting firm that included links to all income tax jurisprudence including appeals, criminal matters, and bankruptcies. Even then I didn't pay a lot of attention to bankruptcy issues, not my area. However I recall that there were quite a few 'tax bankruptcies' where the CRA was the only creditor. Sometimes, when it was apparent that the taxpayer had assets but was actively evading payment, bankruptcy would be denied. However it was generally approved at a far less required payment than the taxes owing, often just a token amount.

I'm assuming that Balogh hasn't paid much, if anything, of his outstanding tax debts but I could easily be wrong. He initially owed about $580,000 in unpaid tax from the 2005-2009 period. Unpaid taxes start accruing interest immediately so he’d be assessed interest accumulating from each tax year evaded as soon as he should have paid the tax. I’m assuming he was hit with a very significant civil penalty for gross negligence in addition to his recent criminal penalty, at least that’s how I recall the penalties work. In addition he’ll have been assessed for taxes from 2010 to present and I assume that the CRA has been on top of collecting that. he'll also have paid some serious fees to defend himself and his business income may have suffered from the years of distraction of fighting criminal charges. As a result of all this I don’t doubt that he’s having very significant financial problems. As an ex-CRA auditor my position would be the self-evident comment that he could have avoided all these problems by not participating in Russ Porisky’s demented tax evasion scheme but that’s all water under the bridge. So even if he is doing his best to pay off the debt he may have great difficulty doing so.

His appeal of his 2005-2009 reassessments, while an opportunity to delay payment on the assessments, could be entirely valid, a legitimate disagreement on taxes assessed. However, from the facts I know, the calculation should be very simple. During the years that Balogh was evading his personal income tax his dental business filed legitimate tax returns reporting all income and deducting all business related expenses, the same as they’d done in prior years. However it did not report any taxable income. This was quite legitimate because all of the practice’s income in excess of expenses was taken by Balogh and recorded on the practice’s financial statements as contractor’s fees. Previous to this he’d taken remuneration as salary and, I believe, dividends. However Balogh, as the supposed ‘contractor’ receiving these fees, was taxable on them but he didn’t file personal income tax returns declaring them.

I said ‘supposed’ contractor because I’m assuming that the CRA ignored the claimed contractor arrangement and reassessed Balogh on the basis that his relationship with the business was no different than it had been in prior years when he was identified as the owner and an employee. A legitimate arm’s length contractor may have been able to deduct some otherwise personal expenses, deductions denied to employees, but if Balogh had tried to claim such expenses after being investigated by the CRA they would have probably been denied on the basis that he wasn’t a contractor. That may be the basis of his appeals. I doubt it relates to the amount of income he received since the funds he withdrew from the business, however you characterize them, should be easy to verify.

notorial dissent
A Balthazar of Quatloosian Truth

Post by notorial dissent »

I was thinking more along the lines of a trustee being put in place to make sure that all the taxes were being properly and timely filed and that the employees were getting paid and their taxes paid as well, not actually putting them in bankruptcy but just more as an ongoing monitor to keep them honest until all the taxes were paid.
The fact that you sincerely and wholeheartedly believe that the “Law of Gravity” is unconstitutional and a violation of your sovereign rights, does not absolve you of adherence to it.
Arthur Rubin
Tupa-O-Quatloosia

Post by Arthur Rubin »

My recollection is that, in most cases in the US the owner cannot also be an employee.
I could easily be wrong.
Arthur Rubin, unemployed tax preparer and aerospace engineer
ImageJoin the Blue Ribbon Online Free Speech Campaign!

Butterflies are free. T-shirts are $19.95 $24.95 $29.95
Burnaby49

Post by Burnaby49 »

Arthur Rubin wrote: Fri Jul 16, 2021 7:58 am My recollection is that, in most cases in the US the owner cannot also be an employee.
I could easily be wrong.
Right or wrong that's the US. Perhaps you are thinking about proprietorships. Balogh's dental business was legally a professional corporation. The only ways an individual can get remuneration from a corporation for work done on the company's behalf (apart from illegal skimming) are through salaries and benefits as an employee, fees as a contractor, or dividends which are really a return on investment, not wages. Had Balogh, after converting to paradigm's teachings, remained as an employee he would have been in the CRA's crosshairs almost immediately because they have computer programs checking claimed employee expenses against T4 forms filed. The T4 is a mandatory form employers must file with the CRA for each employee giving all salary and deduction details. Every year every employee in Canada gets a T4 slip to file with his tax return giving all payroll details, gross wages, deductions, taxable benefits, and this forms the basis of tax filings. The company sends copies of them all to the CRA and these are computer checked to see if the numbers filed by the company match the totals reported by the individual employees. If not they have auditors check it out.

The CRA is very serious, very pro-active, about doing payroll audits (a specialized function as opposed to normal tax audits which I once did). They audit payroll records to make sure all employees are in the system and source deductions (income tax, Canada Pension Plan etc) are being correctly calculated. This is why Balogh changed his status from an employee to a contractor. Contractors fees are not part of payroll audit's mandate, they are the responsibility of regular tax auditors. Payroll audit is relentless, regular audit is much more hit and miss so taking money as a contractor means far less chance of CRA checking you out. I think Balogh was found out as most of the Paradigm tax evaders were found out, through information found on Russ Porisky's computer after the CRA seized it.