Fake CRA Scam Taken to new, Frightening Limits

Moderator: Burnaby49

Burnaby49
Quatloosian Ambassador to the CaliCanadians

Fake CRA Scam Taken to new, Frightening Limits

Post by Burnaby49 »

And I'm not proud that the ceiling for CRA scammers was broken in my home town. But, in a way, logical. Vancouver is overwhelmed by drug users desperate for money to feed their habits. And, when there are drug users, there are suppliers and criminal gangs exploiting them. So greater Vancouver (the term covers a lot of municipalities including Burnaby) is infested by drug addict crimes and criminal gangs supplying drugs. Not that the con below is necessarily related to anything I've just written but it's entirely possible.

As I've noted before in Quatloos we Vancouverites, and no doubt Canadians all across the country, are plagued by phone calls from scammers claiming to be CRA agents. They bark away how criminal charges have been laid against me for "tax fraud" and how I can only evade jail by paying up now. Generally laughable in their ineptitude. Some even clearly from Indian boiler-rooms. Indian accent, chatter and noise in background from other boiler-room scammers. But that's my biased assessment as a life-long CRA employee. Unsophisticated, less skeptical people panic and continue fall for it. If you do they apparently tell you to send them money via Western Union. This one went further, much further;
A 58-year-old woman received a call from an individual who claimed to be with the CRA.

She was told there was a warrant for her arrest due to a balance owing from her taxes.

The woman was then put on the phone with a different person who claimed to be a Mountie. That person prodded her into providing her personal information — and her location.

Then, two men showed up in what appeared to be short-sleeved RCMP shirts, blue pants with yellow stripes down the sides and police duty belts — and what looked like firearms.

The suspects handcuffed her and put her in the back of an “older-model sedan,” police said.

She was then pressured to take out $6,000 at a bank at Cambie Street and King Edward.

The woman was then driven to Surrey where she deposited the money in a Bitcoin machine.

The suspects then left the scene without the woman.

One suspect was described as a Caucasian man in his 30s, five-feet-11-inches tall, with an average build, light-brown hair and a trimmed, full beard.

The other suspect was also described as a Caucasian man, 25 to 27 years old, with short brown hair and clean-shaven.

They drove a black, older-model, four-door vehicle that had worn out seats, Vancouver police said.

“This incident has taken the CRA scam to a new level,” said VPD Const. Jason Doucette. “Taking physical control of someone like this can be considered kidnapping.”
https://globalnews.ca/news/4289676/cra- ... vancouver/
"Yes Burnaby49, I do in fact believe all process servers are peace officers. I've good reason to believe so." Robert Menard in his May 28, 2015 video "Process Servers".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XeI-J2PhdGs
fortinbras
Princeps Wooloosia

Re: Fake CRA Scam Taken to new, Frightening Limits

Post by fortinbras »

This is one giant step further than a scam that was in vogue in the US about two years ago. Householder would get a phone call from a pretended IRS agent that he/she would be arrested that very day unless a very substantial tax debt was paid in cash. Cash was paid to someone who showed up at the front door. I didn't hear of actual abductions.

There were accounts of very separate crimes of taking someone captive (usually someone who had gotten himself into a compromising situation away from his home, but there were exceptions) and keeping them for more than one day, driving them to a bank machine every night to withdraw the machine daily limit of $500.

I would caution people receiving such phone calls not to be tempted to play Junior G-Man by themselves. These people come to the door expecting the victim to have cash; they may be armed and inclined to bullying. Best to have real policeman waiting for them.
Burnaby49

Post by Burnaby49 »

Time to revise the story. The woman was victimized and lost $6,000 to the scammers but she was lying about the fake police coming and arresting her. Why? Because she's an idiot who thought dramatizing the story would make her look less stupid.
Detectives confirmed Friday morning that the victim was embarrassed for falling for the scam and panicked, so she decided to exaggerate her claims to include fake police.
http://vancouversun.com/news/local-news ... rrests-vpd
"Yes Burnaby49, I do in fact believe all process servers are peace officers. I've good reason to believe so." Robert Menard in his May 28, 2015 video "Process Servers".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XeI-J2PhdGs
bmxninja357
Admiral of the Quatloosian Seas
Admiral of the Quatloosian Seas

Post by bmxninja357 »

In my area the scammers are spoofing the RCMP phone number when they call.

https://edmonton.ctvnews.ca/mobile/frau ... -1.3983541

Peace
Ninj
whoever said laughter is the best medicine never had gonorrhea....