Elaine Brown Apologizes - Sort Of

AndyK
Illuminatian Revenue Supremo Emeritus

Re: Elaine Brown Apologizes - Sort Of

Post by AndyK »

Irrespective of the crimes committed (for which punishment has been duly meted out) this is still quite sad
Edward Lewis Brown
Age at release date: 102 -- unlikely he will survive
Signs of remorse / acceptance of responsibility / etc: None -- still publishing screeds

Elaine Alice Brown
Age at release date: 101 -- unlikely she will survive
Signs of remorse / acceptance of responsibility / etc: But silly apology letter

Jason Gerhard
Age at release date: 39

Cirino Gonzalez
Age at release date: 37

Daniel Riley
Age at release date: 67
So, six people were incarcerated (two, effectively for life) and society is no better off except for getting them off the streets for a few years.

After we've supported them for years, we're going to welcome them back into society unchanged except for probably being much more bitter and angry -- still lacking in skills to support themselves.
Taxes are the price we pay for a free society and to cover the responsibilities of the evaders
JamesVincent
A Councilor of the Kabosh

Post by JamesVincent »

So what else did you want to do with people who threatened to murder people?
Disciple of the cross and champion in suffering
Immerse yourself into the kingdom of redemption
Pardon your mind through the chains of the divine
Make way, the shepherd of fire

Avenged Sevenfold "Shepherd of Fire"
Pirate Purveyor of the Last Word

Post by . »

Reading a bit more about Ed's dream house, "hideous monstrosity" was entirely accurate. This thing is 3.5 stories of badly assembled concrete crap. I'd love to see the inside, but nobody is allowed in the house (or even onto the property at all) by the feds.

For a pic of the Ed's "castle," see:
http://www.foxnews.com/us/2014/08/15/au ... ds-at-bay/

Not unlike what some kid with Legos or Tinker Toys might construct, except in concrete. Note that the misaligned and improperly installed concrete chunks of the facade hang over the stone steps (which look nice) at the base by about a foot. Always good to have a plan and follow it, eh, Ed? Off by a couple of feet? Close enough for TP-nut-case work.

The yawning joint-gaps in the (supposedly exterior, but it might well be structural, ugh) concrete have been patched in some places but not others. I wonder if the Plainfield building department requires structural engineers to sign off on any of this stuff. Are there any inspectors? Wouldn't seem so. But, don't expect me to buy slapped-together, structurally-insufficient crap.

Never mind my postulated net negative values for the property from the house demolition cost and hazard mitigation cost on the land, the delinquent property taxes alone are 191.3K.

http://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory/tax- ... f-24991776

Holy cow. 191K! How long has Ed not been paying property taxes? They were first indicted 8 years ago, but even at (a ridiculous) 10K/year (on a (supposed) 250K property) that's only 80K. Unless that property tax lien is somehow extinguished, it'll never, ever sell, even for a dollar.

At some point, maybe Plainfield and the feds will release all liens and bulldoze it. With the object of selling the 100 acres for something and splitting it.

Good job of minimizing value, Ed. Your wife was probably at least a minimally competent dentist and you could have quietly mooched off of her for decades in a serene retirement in your ramshackle, concrete dream house/castle while running seminars for your idiot followers.

How about 4 days/3 nights, meals included for 2K per head? You had plenty of extra bedrooms. You coulda been a TP star. Just lay off the bombs.

Instead, you drove the value of everything you touched to zilch and got both of you imprisoned for life. Victory!
All the States incorporated daughter corporations for transaction of business in the 1960s or so. - Some voice in Van Pelt's head, circa 2006.
notorial dissent
A Balthazar of Quatloosian Truth

Post by notorial dissent »

We have one essentially wasted life that destroyed the lives of five others, one completely, and three pretty well. Of the other three, they hadn't amounted to much to begin with, and this pretty well ended any possibilities they might have managed. Truly pathetic.
The fact that you sincerely and wholeheartedly believe that the “Law of Gravity” is unconstitutional and a violation of your sovereign rights, does not absolve you of adherence to it.
JamesVincent

Post by JamesVincent »

The acreage would be worth it to a developer. Bulldoze everything in sight and build 500 homes.

Pirate Purveyor of the Last Word

Post by . »

JamesVincent wrote:The acreage would be worth it to a developer. Bulldoze everything in sight and build 500 homes.
Not that simple. As the ABC article above said:
ABC wrote:"The Plainfield property is a bit of a mongrel," he said. "It's 100 acres with no road frontage." Access to the property is through a right-of-way, town officials say, which means it can't be subdivided.
Beyond building access road(s) it also probably needs rezoning. After it's certified to be clear of any and all hazards. All very expensive. Ultimately, it may happen, but not likely soon.

Local developers were no doubt just as aware, if not more aware than the average reader on Q of the auction, yet there were no bids. From anyone.
All the States incorporated daughter corporations for transaction of business in the 1960s or so. - Some voice in Van Pelt's head, circa 2006.
The Observer
Further Moderator

Post by The Observer »

Looking at the overhead on a Google Map, you get an even better sense of how much of an isolationist Ed was. You might think that red dot is where the house should be, but it isn't. That just indicates the dirt road that leads to the Fortress of Solitude. Scan north for a bit. The house sits in a clearing in the middle of his Hundred Acre Wood, a good 1/4 mile or more off the paved road.

Given that one of the articles state that this property is on a hilltop, it probably explains why more clearing has not been done and why the likelihood of an access road and subdividing has not happened. It is probably not worth the cost of terraforming the area so that it would appeal to real estate development.

Notice how Ed's neighbors properties are developed: next to the road (or nearby). There isn't one single home in that immediate area that are as deep into the woods like Ed's. There are some properties about 2/3 of a mile to the west that are pretty far back - but they are on paved access road. Either they bought the best properties with access or they just had more sense than Ed on how to develop their land.

I suspect that any booby trapping of Ed's land only occurred in the immediate area of the house. I think Ed was probably a mite lazy if it meant that he had to wade through all that forest to lay a boobytrap that no one else would bother wandering out to. No certainty of that, of course, so it will be put a damper on securing interested bidders.
"I could be dead wrong on this" - Irwin Schiff

"Do you realize I may even be delusional with respect to my income tax beliefs? " - Irwin Schiff
Number Six
Hereditary Margrave of Mooloosia

Post by Number Six »

There would be enough bottom feeders bidding on the Brown land and dental office if priced right, NH has plenty of those. If there were some type of certification of land clean of land mines that would also help get a reasonable price, those who bid on his precious metals didn't give a rat's a$$ about the origin of it. I knew a property where the son killed all the female members of his family inside, and it still commanded market value, with the help of the right "Borgia realty" company, you can always find a realtor willing to promote the most questionable property, heck maybe the Brown connection would attract some nuts with money. But doubtful the government needed the money that much, the publicity of properties being supposedly unsaleable due to criminal connections or only at fire sale prices may be a deterrent to others.
'There are two kinds of injustice: the first is found in those who do an injury, the second in those who fail to protect another from injury when they can.' (Roman. Cicero, De Off. I. vii)

'Choose loss rather than shameful gains.' (Chilon Fr. 10. Diels)
notorial dissent
A Balthazar of Quatloosian Truth

Post by notorial dissent »

Not knowing what land prices are like in NH it is kind of hard to guess about the listing. My suspicion though since there weren't any bids, is that either the house is that awful and would cost more to tear down than it is really worth, or that it would cost more to do anything with the property than they could hope to get back. The one thing I do know is that they can't subdivide and it has limited controlled access. So those are two pretty major obstacles to anyone who doesn't want to just live there. Since we also know that Ed "built" the place himself, I'm not betting on his having stuck anywhere near close to code and the actual safety and integrity of the house may be a major factor as in have to bring it in compliance to be habitable. I think the whole unexploded bomb thing could also be a factor, although not as big as the others. There may also be other factors that haven't really been discussed or come out since my understanding, that unlike a regular real estate transaction, it really is "as is" and the gov't is making no warranties. As in, you buy, it is your problem whatever it is.
The fact that you sincerely and wholeheartedly believe that the “Law of Gravity” is unconstitutional and a violation of your sovereign rights, does not absolve you of adherence to it.
The Observer
Further Moderator

Post by The Observer »

Number Six wrote:There would be enough bottom feeders bidding on the Brown land and dental office if priced right, NH has plenty of those.
But "priced right" never enters into the calculation of a government auction. The government has to follow certain rules to ensure that the owner's interest (in this case the Browns) is protected to the degree that a realistic minimum bid is set. The government cannot simply sell the property for a dollar unless it can show that the Brown's equity in the property is approximating that amount. Otherwise it would open the government up to a suit by the Browns.

Complicating the problem are the encumbrances on the property that are senior to the government's lien interests. They are not extinguished when an government auction concludes; the buyer still has to make arrangement with the senior creditors to satisfy their liens or notes against the property. As pointed out earlier, there are sizeable tax assessments on the property, in the amount of $191K and growing. How many buyers are going to be willing to take on a debt that large in addition to pay their winning bid the property? And that doesn't take into account the other creditors that surely exist, such as the lender(s) who financed Ed's nightmare.

If you peruse the Zillow link above, you find out some other amazing things about this site. Now I will be the first to point out that Zillow data is notoriously bad and vague. But you still have to gasp when you see that the structure is estimated to be at over 8800 sq ft. But you only get 3 bedrooms and baths for that kind of footage. Either Ed loved really big rooms, or he put up the walls first and was planning to add one room at a time from all the savings he was realizing from not paying his taxes.

According to Zillow, the building was erected in 1991. There is no sales history, but the assessor's office placed a value on the property at $571K in 2007. Zillow places a FMV of $850k or so on the property. Assessor values are typically behind the market trend and Zillow overprices everything. Safer to say that the property falls some where in the 650K to 700K range. But that is before we have to subtract the 191K in property taxes and whatever the Browns had left unpaid on their mortgages. Those property taxes that the Browns weren't paying? The bill ranged from $14k to $16K, according to Zillow, starting in 2007 to the present. It supposedly was in 2007 that Ed decided to stop paying the property and school taxes. So the 191K figure looks legit.

Oh, and the 191K figure is only for the residence. The Browns owe over 211K (as of last year, sure to be more now with interest accruing) to the city of Lebanon for the business property. Another priority interest that has to be dealt with. So add 250K to that the bid of 507K for the business property. I don't know if there is a perception that the business site was booby-trapped, but that could be playing into the fact that it did not attract buyers.

I'll assume that Ed was grudgingly paying the mortgage on the property. I don't recall any lender complaining about getting rubber-stamped debt cancellation notices from the Browns. But I am sure Ed has not been rendering payment since going to prison. So why haven't the lenders foreclosed and gotten this mess off their hands? Perhaps because they know they can't sell this travesty for any amount and are hoping the feds find a sucker. They aren't wasting time and money to push a foreclosure action on this. Oh, and one article pointed out that the surrounding area has problems with storm damaged trees and natural debris. Another headache for developers.

Did Ed and Elaine owe the state? Probably did. If they didn't pay the fed on S1.3 million in income (earned since 1996), I would be shocked if Ed didn't come up with a reason why they didn't have to pay the state. Hey, I just looked it up, they ran up over 343K in state income and payroll taxes. One newspaper is putting the total amount owed on the state/fed bill with penalties and interest at over 3 million.

At some point in time,the city will foreclose on the properties and can attempt to auction them off since the federal and state tax liens will be extinguished from interest in the property, thus making the bid a bit lower. Not sure if the lender will be in the picture at that time or not.

"Do you realize I may even be delusional with respect to my income tax beliefs? " - Irwin Schiff
Pottapaug1938
Supreme Prophet (Junior Division)

Post by Pottapaug1938 »

Maybe someone will offer the government the purchase price in dinars.... :D :D :D
"We've been attacked by the intelligent, educated segment of the culture." -- Pastor Ray Mummert, Dover, PA, during an attempt to introduce creationism -- er, "intelligent design", into the Dover Public Schools
LaVidaRoja
Basileus Quatlooseus

Post by LaVidaRoja »

Cold, Pottapaug1938, cold
Little boys who tell lies grow up to be weathermen.
The Observer
Further Moderator

Post by The Observer »

And by the way, here is the link to the assessor's office for Elaine's commercial building. Note the owner's current address.

Burnaby49
Quatloosian Ambassador to the CaliCanadians
Quatloosian Ambassador to the CaliCanadians

Post by Burnaby49 »

Nice looking little town. Too bad she'll never see it again.
"Yes Burnaby49, I do in fact believe all process servers are peace officers. I've good reason to believe so." Robert Menard in his May 28, 2015 video "Process Servers".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XeI-J2PhdGs
Number Six
Hereditary Margrave of Mooloosia

Post by Number Six »

Maybe she could work off some of her sentence with free dental care? Many people I see are needing dental work they cannot afford. Plus, if either of the Browns G-d forbid died in prison would that change how the land gets sold off? Sometimes the only escape clause is an untimely demise. http://i.imgur.com/rMNoDyU.jpg
'There are two kinds of injustice: the first is found in those who do an injury, the second in those who fail to protect another from injury when they can.' (Roman. Cicero, De Off. I. vii)

'Choose loss rather than shameful gains.' (Chilon Fr. 10. Diels)
Famspear
Knight Templar of the Sacred Tax

Post by Famspear »

According to the Federal Bureau of Prisons, Cirino Gonzalez was released on August 29, 2014, two days ahead of schedule.
"My greatest fear is that the audience will beat me to the punch line." -- David Mamet
JamesVincent

Post by JamesVincent »

Slightly off topic: Who was the one involved with the Browns that we had someone posting on here about? I remember it being a friend of someone involved but can't remember who or in which thread they showed up.

grixit
Recycler of Paytriot Fantasies

Post by grixit »

Van Meter. Her attempts at pathos inspired me to build a Van Meter to measure them.
Three cheers for the Lesser Evil!

10 . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 2
. . . . . . Dr Pepper
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . .. . . 4
The Observer
Further Moderator

Post by The Observer »

I believe Van Meter was (or is) Cirino's girlfriend.