Pete & Doreen Hendrickson in Tax Court

Famspear
Knight Templar of the Sacred Tax

Re: Pete & Doreen Hendrickson in Tax Court

Post by Famspear »

Wednesday, August 19 - The Court granted the government's motion for "continuance of trial generally."
"My greatest fear is that the audience will beat me to the punch line." -- David Mamet
Dr. Caligari
J.D., Miskatonic University School of Crickets

Post by Dr. Caligari »

Famspear wrote:Wednesday, August 19 - The Court granted the government's motion for "continuance of trial generally."
A "general continuance," in Tax Court-speak, means an indefinite postponement of the trial, not an adjournment to a new date. It's almost never done, unless there is some reason to think the case is never going to trial. I wonder what reasons the Government gave.
Dr. Caligari
(Du musst Caligari werden!)
LPC
Trusted Keeper of the All True FAQ

Post by LPC »

Dr. Caligari wrote:A "general continuance," in Tax Court-speak, means an indefinite postponement of the trial, not an adjournment to a new date.
I've seen other courts use the same terminology, with the same meaning.
Dan Evans
Foreman of the Unified Citizens' Grand Jury for Pennsylvania
(And author of the Tax Protester FAQ: evans-legal.com/dan/tpfaq.html)
"Nothing is more terrible than ignorance in action." Johann Wolfgang von Goethe.
operabuff
Pirate
Pirate

Post by operabuff »

The likely reason for the continuance is Doreen's unavailability. She doesn't get out until September 2016, as I recall, and the Tax Court doesn't usually determine its calendars that far in advance. So the court doesn't now know when it will be sitting in Detroit in late 2016 - early 2017.

If you look at the Tax Court's docket list for the case, you'll see that the IRS moved for a general continuance in May, shortly after Doreen began serving her sentence. The court granted the continuance generally, but then in June, probably when the Fall 2015 calendars were established, calendared the case for November. I guess we'll now see whether they put it on the next Detroit calendar, or wait until after her scheduled release date.
Dr. Caligari
J.D., Miskatonic University School of Crickets

Post by Dr. Caligari »

The likely reason for the continuance is Doreen's unavailability. She doesn't get out until September 2016, as I recall, and the Tax Court doesn't usually determine its calendars that far in advance. So the court doesn't now know when it will be sitting in Detroit in late 2016 - early 2017.
That makes sense.
Dr. Caligari
(Du musst Caligari werden!)
Famspear

Post by Famspear »

B-b-b-b-but, why do they need Doreen to be there? In a court of law, Pete is incompetent enough to do, on behalf of Doreen, whatever she would surely otherwise do herself......

:Axe:
"My greatest fear is that the audience will beat me to the punch line." -- David Mamet
Famspear

Post by Famspear »

Wait a minute! I've figured it out!

Doreen deliberately got herself indicted, convicted and thrown into prison -- as a way of delaying her Tax Court case! The longer that Tax Court case drags on, the longer she can delay paying the taxes!

How nefarious! And I wonder if Pete put her up to this! Another Cracking the Code victory!

:whistle:
NYGman
Admiral of the Quatloosian Seas
Admiral of the Quatloosian Seas

Post by NYGman »

Famspear wrote:Wait a minute! I've figured it out!

Doreen deliberately got herself indicted, convicted and thrown into prison -- as a way of delaying her Tax Court case! The longer that Tax Court case drags on, the longer she can delay paying the taxes!

How nefarious! And I wonder if Pete put her up to this! Another Cracking the Code victory!

:whistle:
Give him a few days, and I am sure this will be touted as another victory for CtC...
The Hardest Thing in the World to Understand is Income Taxes -Albert Einstein

Freedom's just another word for nothing left to lose - As sung by Janis Joplin (and others) Written by Kris Kristofferson and Fred Foster.
jcolvin2
Grand Master Consul of Quatloosia

Post by jcolvin2 »

operabuff wrote:The likely reason for the continuance is Doreen's unavailability. She doesn't get out until September 2016, as I recall, and the Tax Court doesn't usually determine its calendars that far in advance. So the court doesn't now know when it will be sitting in Detroit in late 2016 - early 2017.

If you look at the Tax Court's docket list for the case, you'll see that the IRS moved for a general continuance in May, shortly after Doreen began serving her sentence. The court granted the continuance generally, but then in June, probably when the Fall 2015 calendars were established, calendared the case for November. I guess we'll now see whether they put it on the next Detroit calendar, or wait until after her scheduled release date.
I would bet dollars to doughnuts that "continued generally" will result in the case being thrown back in the hopper and appearing on the next Detroit calendar. If the Tax Court's intent were otherwise (e.g. to wait until Doreen was available), it would probably have put the case on a status reporting track.
operabuff
Pirate
Pirate

Post by operabuff »

I agree that an indefinite continuance is often accompanied by an order for status reports and this one isn't (at least so far). On the other hand, the next calendar in Detroit is already set for February 1, 2016, so if the intent was just to continue to the next Detroit calendar - why not say it's continued until February 1? And it's not like there's much to include in a status report - unless her appeal succeeds, she won't be available until September 2016. And unless she finds some way to further screw her life up, (further contempt, jail break, I suppose the possibilities are endless. . .) she will be available then.

Since her chances of being released after a successful appeal seem about as likely as hell freezing over in a blue moon, we should expect to see a trial in this case no sooner than November 2016, the likely first Detroit calendar after Doreen's release.
Famspear

Post by Famspear »

The Tax Court trial has been re-scheduled for June 6, 2016, in Detroit.
Famspear

Post by Famspear »

The Tax Court has granted a government motion for yet another general continuance.
Famspear

Post by Famspear »

So far, there is nothing new on the Tax Court docket since the general continuance was granted. Now that Doreen Hendrickson has been officially released from the Federal Bureau of Prisons custody, I wonder how long it will take for the next development in this Tax Court case.
jcolvin2
Grand Master Consul of Quatloosia

Post by jcolvin2 »

Famspear wrote:So far, there is nothing new on the Tax Court docket since the general continuance was granted. Now that Doreen Hendrickson has been officially released from the Federal Bureau of Prisons custody, I wonder how long it will take for the next development in this Tax Court case.
It is possible the case could be placed on the March 27, 2017 calendar in Detroit.
notorial dissent
A Balthazar of Quatloosian Truth

Post by notorial dissent »

So, in essence, what is going to happen come March, aren't we/they kind of back to square one at this point? This has drug on far too long in my opinion.
The fact that you sincerely and wholeheartedly believe that the “Law of Gravity” is unconstitutional and a violation of your sovereign rights, does not absolve you of adherence to it.
AndyK
Illuminatian Revenue Supremo Emeritus

Post by AndyK »

I was just browsing the Tax Court web site.

Interestingly, the ONLY reference to P&D in the Court'a docket list, Orders, and Opinions revolves around the current case.

Could this possibly be their FIRST foray into Tax Court?
Taxes are the price we pay for a free society and to cover the responsibilities of the evaders
Famspear

Post by Famspear »

AndyK wrote:I was just browsing the Tax Court web site.

Interestingly, the ONLY reference to P&D in the Court'a docket list, Orders, and Opinions revolves around the current case.

I believe that's right.
The Observer
Further Moderator

Post by The Observer »

Famspear wrote:
AndyK wrote:I was just browsing the Tax Court web site.

I believe that's right.
:sarcasmon: Wait a minute...I bet this is this part of Pete's master plan! He will finally have the government right where he wants them - in Tax Court!
"I could be dead wrong on this" - Irwin Schiff

"Do you realize I may even be delusional with respect to my income tax beliefs? " - Irwin Schiff
notorial dissent
A Balthazar of Quatloosian Truth

Post by notorial dissent »

And look how well it's worked for him/them so far.
The fact that you sincerely and wholeheartedly believe that the “Law of Gravity” is unconstitutional and a violation of your sovereign rights, does not absolve you of adherence to it.
The Observer
Further Moderator

Post by The Observer »

notorial dissent wrote:And look how well it's worked for him/them so far.
I don't think Pete worries about how well the plan has worked. All that matters is that he is in the limelight again. It's one of those Charlie Sheeen "...Winning!" moments.
"I could be dead wrong on this" - Irwin Schiff

"Do you realize I may even be delusional with respect to my income tax beliefs? " - Irwin Schiff