Wanna buy a house? (It only gets worse)

Judge Roy Bean
Judge for the District of Quatloosia

Wanna buy a house? (It only gets worse)

Post by Judge Roy Bean »

Pricey, possibly bomb-laden property no easy sell
After an auction to empty chairs in August, marshals in New Hampshire are attempting to regroup and hire a professional auctioneer and the officials in the two towns owed substantial back taxes on the properties are more frustrated than ever.
http://www.washingtonpost.com/national/ ... story.html
The Honorable Judge Roy Bean
The world is a car and you're a crash-test dummy.
The Devil Makes Three
Famspear
Knight Templar of the Sacred Tax

Re: Wanna buy a house? (It only gets worse)

Post by Famspear »

I hope they're not having to run yet another version of this story of this unsold property -- in the year 2042 -- when Elaine is scheduled to be released from prison --at the age of 102.

:|
"My greatest fear is that the audience will beat me to the punch line." -- David Mamet
arayder
Banned (Permanently)
Banned (Permanently)

Post by arayder »

I remember the Browns.

If I recall Ed had a history of going to the local court house, messing with the clerks and officials and then bragging about it on internet forums.

They also had a following of sovcit/tax protesters who did everything they could to amp up the situation around the Brown compound. If I recall the crew made a speciality out of developing phony controversies around the house and making themselves into victims.

I had forgotten that the marshals arrested the Browns by imbedding themselves in the crowd, eventually walking right up to the two and arresting them, if I recall correctly.
Jeffrey
Admiral of the Quatloosian Seas

Post by Jeffrey »

Looks like a very beautiful house.
arayder
Banned (Permanently)
Banned (Permanently)

Post by arayder »

AFTP
The Voice of a Free Quatloosia

Post by AFTP »

Whenever you hear a man speak of his love for his Country, it is a sign he expects to be paid for it. – H. L. Mencken

Death and Taxes. Ya Think?
Judge Roy Bean

Post by Judge Roy Bean »

Jeffrey wrote:Looks like a very beautiful house.
If memory serves, people who had actually seen it indicated portions of it were poorly constructed. Apparently the concrete work for the tall "defense tower" at the front was particularly shoddy.

The single biggest problem I see isn't the potential for explosives on the grounds; it's the back taxes. They are far more than the value of the property and improvements. Given the local government's absurdly unrealistic approach to "solving" their revenue problem, I doubt they'll get any more interest than they did in their earlier auction.
The Devil Makes Three
arayder
Banned (Permanently)
Banned (Permanently)

Post by arayder »

Sounds like one of the homes they put on those house flipping shows.

You know the ones where the flipper buys the house for a song and the rest of the show is about the reconstruction/remodeling crew finding mold, bad wiring and sagging foundations before the house is finally re-sold for a tidy profit.

Except this one would have segments where the flipper bemoans, "$20,000 to rework the concrete wall! $5,000 to remove the second bomb! None of that's in my budget!"
Jeffrey

Post by Jeffrey »

Well the outside looks good anyways.
The Observer
Further Moderator

Post by The Observer »

Earlier, I had provided an explanation of why the property would be difficult to sell for any number of reasons.

So add this to the many stigmas that tax protestors bring with them: the ability to render property and assets worthless.
"I could be dead wrong on this" - Irwin Schiff

"Do you realize I may even be delusional with respect to my income tax beliefs? " - Irwin Schiff
notorial dissent
A Balthazar of Quatloosian Truth

Post by notorial dissent »

The Observer wrote:So add this to the many stigmas that tax protestors bring with them: the ability to render property and assets worthless.
Too true, all too true. They can certainly bring down property values at any rate.

My suspicion is that if Ed was as adherent to the building codes, or even realistic building requirements as he was to everything else, I wouldn't bet on the house being even remotely structurally sound. My personal suspicion is that anyone buying the place would have to demo the house, or at least most of it to start with, and somehow I just can't see an underwriter signing off on the whole possible UXD's on the property thing, I just see that as a real deal breaker, so I see this as a strictly cash only deal. I think the county is going to go whistling for their back taxes, and I think the Fed's have a genuine white elephant.

The fact that you sincerely and wholeheartedly believe that the “Law of Gravity” is unconstitutional and a violation of your sovereign rights, does not absolve you of adherence to it.
morrand

Post by morrand »

Judge Roy Bean wrote:
Jeffrey wrote:Looks like a very beautiful house.
If memory serves, people who had actually seen it indicated portions of it were poorly constructed. Apparently the concrete work for the tall "defense tower" at the front was particularly shoddy.
I am not a structural engineer, and if I were, I wouldn't presume to evaluate a structure simply from one photograph posted to a BBS.

However, there seem to be an awful lot of seams going on around that tower, don't there? It gives the house an appearance of being built out of cardboard boxes. Not the most encouraging sign; I hope it's just a sign that the walls have been armor plated somehow—though, now that I think of it, that would probably put some, uh, unusual loads onto the load-bearing walls.
---
Morrand
JamesVincent
A Councilor of the Kabosh

Post by JamesVincent »

morrand wrote: However, there seem to be an awful lot of seams going on around that tower, don't there? It gives the house an appearance of being built out of cardboard boxes. Not the most encouraging sign; I hope it's just a sign that the walls have been armor plated somehow—though, now that I think of it, that would probably put some, uh, unusual loads onto the load-bearing walls.
The house was made out of pre-poured concrete blocks. The seams you are seeing are the joints between the blocks. Great idea, if it's done correctly, and a lot of more modern structures are done in this way. However; I am also not a structural engineer but it would appear that several of the blocks visible are not in alignment. When I can see shadows in between the joints and see missing chinking, even in a crappy photo, then I would hesitate to even look at the house in real life or even consider it. In a structure like this there really aren't any load bearing walls, the entire outer structure takes the weight and the interior is kinda hung off of it. Again, great idea but, considering the readily visible faults I listed above, even less then thrilled at the prospect of looking at the house.
Disciple of the cross and champion in suffering
Immerse yourself into the kingdom of redemption
Pardon your mind through the chains of the divine
Make way, the shepherd of fire

Avenged Sevenfold "Shepherd of Fire"
Famspear
Knight Templar of the Sacred Tax

Post by Famspear »

JamesVincent wrote:....it would appear that several of the blocks visible are not in alignment. When I can see shadows in between the joints and see missing chinking.....
I think that was also a problem with mental processes of the prior owners, Ed and Elaine Brown: some stuff was not in alignment, and there was some "missing chinking" as well....

:|
"My greatest fear is that the audience will beat me to the punch line." -- David Mamet
grixit
Recycler of Paytriot Fantasies

Post by grixit »

Forget it. Evacuate a 5 mile radius and drop small concussion bombs over the property. Then let the local national guard unit get some practice running over the rubble with their heavy vehicles. Charge it off to the army training budget.
Three cheers for the Lesser Evil!

10 . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 2
. . . . . . Dr Pepper
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . .. . . 4
notorial dissent
A Balthazar of Quatloosian Truth

Post by notorial dissent »

Agreed, kind of a similar idea I palyed with at one point to have some good bomb disposal training program use it as a test sight for their refresher course, about the only way I can thing of making sure it has been properly cleared.

Even then I'm still betting the house isn't really safe and up to code.
The fact that you sincerely and wholeheartedly believe that the “Law of Gravity” is unconstitutional and a violation of your sovereign rights, does not absolve you of adherence to it.
The Observer
Further Moderator

Post by The Observer »

The only idea I could come up with was starting a controlled burn over the entire property as a way of exploding or otherwise destroying any devices that Ed may have left behind. But I am sure the neighbors would not be happy with that approach, being concerned, and justifiably so, with the possibility that a fire could spread to their own property.

My dark side is considering recommending that the government turn it into a campground for tax protesters and Sovrun citizens.
"I could be dead wrong on this" - Irwin Schiff

"Do you realize I may even be delusional with respect to my income tax beliefs? " - Irwin Schiff
wserra
Quatloosian Federal Witness
Quatloosian Federal Witness

Post by wserra »

The Observer wrote:My dark side
Do you have a non-dark side? If so, I think we need a new Coordinator.
"A wise man proportions belief to the evidence."
- David Hume
arayder
Banned (Permanently)
Banned (Permanently)

Post by arayder »

I have from time to time commented on the almost nonexistent sense of community demonstrated in the case of some freemen/sovs.

Most of us could not conceive of putting up a substandard building in the middle of our neighborhood and then leaving booby traps around for the neighbor's kids to find when they sneak onto the lot like Atticus Finch's kids trying to get a look at Boo Radley.

This lack of community awareness is also demonstrated in the sov's unwillingness to follow even the most simple and sensible of society's rules.
Judge Roy Bean

Post by Judge Roy Bean »

grixit wrote:Forget it. Evacuate a 5 mile radius and drop small concussion bombs over the property. Then let the local national guard unit get some practice running over the rubble with their heavy vehicles. Charge it off to the army training budget.
How about a couple of days with one of these?:

The Devil Makes Three