TP Engineer Doesn't Convince Jury He Found A Loophole

The Observer
Further Moderator

TP Engineer Doesn't Convince Jury He Found A Loophole

Post by The Observer »

The Omaha World-Herald is reporting on the failure of Chet West in US Federal Court to convince the jury in his tax evasion trial to be his "champion." Mr. West had pursued the usual idiotic TP ploys in trying to prove he didn't owe income tax: He sent a letter to his employer explaining why he was exempt from income, sent another letter to the government explaining why the tax laws didn't apply to him, didn't pay over $52,000 in income tax over 3 years, and then cast doubt on the sincerity of his beliefs by constructively trying to hide his money through phony corporations.

Mr. West is now facing up to 15 years for his actions. Not a bright future when you are already 59 years old.
"I could be dead wrong on this" - Irwin Schiff

"Do you realize I may even be delusional with respect to my income tax beliefs? " - Irwin Schiff
Hyrion
Admiral of the Quatloosian Seas
Admiral of the Quatloosian Seas

Re: TP Engineer Doesn't Convince Jury He Found A Loophole

Post by Hyrion »

Article wrote:West, who acted as his own attorney, called on the jury to be his champion and protect him from the United States government.
I wonder at what point he'll realize the bulk of Society - while perhaps sharing his views they don't like paying taxes - does not share his views with regards anyone including him being exempt from them.
Famspear
Knight Templar of the Sacred Tax

Post by Famspear »

From the article:
The problem for West is the truth got him convicted.

U.S. District Judge Laurie Smith Camp refused on Tuesday to let West remain on pretrial release out of fear he might try to disappear. The judge said she also worried about West’s comments during the trial about having disdain for the U.S. government and claiming he was “the biggest can of whoop-ass around.”
I'd say he's a "big can" of something, but what is in his "can" is pretty smelly, and it definitely ain't "whoop-ass."

:twisted:
"My greatest fear is that the audience will beat me to the punch line." -- David Mamet
Pottapaug1938
Supreme Prophet (Junior Division)

Post by Pottapaug1938 »

He's more "jackass" than "whoop-ass".
"We've been attacked by the intelligent, educated segment of the culture." -- Pastor Ray Mummert, Dover, PA, during an attempt to introduce creationism -- er, "intelligent design", into the Dover Public Schools
The Observer
Further Moderator

Post by The Observer »

Pottapaug1938 wrote:He's more "jackass" than "whoop-ass".
Especially considering that he handed his head on a platter to the prosecutors:
West...tried to get jurors on his side by explaining how he manages to evade taxes, a move that backfired and gave the prosecutors even more evidence.
Either he had no idea what he was doing, or else he thought he could get jury sympathy by showing them how to cheat on their taxes. Either way, he turned himself into toast.
"I could be dead wrong on this" - Irwin Schiff

"Do you realize I may even be delusional with respect to my income tax beliefs? " - Irwin Schiff