Hendrickson CtC scam forum re-opened

The Observer
Further Moderator

Re: Hendrickson CtC scam forum re-opened

Post by The Observer »

Am I wrong in thinking that an SSN is being shown on that check? If so, Hendrickson really messed up by not redacting that check; and what liability would CNN or the advertiser have for publishing it?
"I could be dead wrong on this" - Irwin Schiff

"Do you realize I may even be delusional with respect to my income tax beliefs? " - Irwin Schiff
Dark Optimist
Scalawag
Scalawag

Post by Dark Optimist »

And the date looks like its from 2004 - have there been no "winners" more recently than that?
KickahaOta
Admiral of the Quatloosian Seas

Post by KickahaOta »

None of the numbers on the check look like an SSN. The one in the upper right corner has eight digits, not nine.
notorial dissent
A Balthazar of Quatloosian Truth

Post by notorial dissent »

KickahaOta wrote: Wed Jan 08, 2020 12:33 am None of the numbers on the check look like an SSN. The one in the upper right corner has eight digits, not nine.
They don't put SSN's on checks.
The fact that you sincerely and wholeheartedly believe that the “Law of Gravity” is unconstitutional and a violation of your sovereign rights, does not absolve you of adherence to it.
The Observer
Further Moderator

Post by The Observer »

KickahaOta wrote: Wed Jan 08, 2020 12:33 am None of the numbers on the check look like an SSN. The one in the upper right corner has eight digits, not nine.
I wasn't looking at the numbers in the upper right corner. I am looking at an entirely different set of numbers that would have the proper amount of digits.
They don't put SSN's on checks.
The date of the check is from 2004, which was long before the identity theft crisis blew up. I believe that SSNs were included on refund checks at that time.

"Do you realize I may even be delusional with respect to my income tax beliefs? " - Irwin Schiff
KickahaOta

Post by KickahaOta »

Oh, you mean the nine-digit number at the top of the check? I can't find any documentation of what that is; but there are oodles of images of Treasury checks on the net, many with personal information heavily redacted, and I could only find one (out of hundreds) that blocked out that number. So either a huge number of people are profoundly stupid, or that number isn't an SSN. As a person who is sometimes accused of being profoundly stupid, I make no claims as to which is true.

But I digress.
The Observer
Further Moderator

Post by The Observer »

KickahaOta wrote: Wed Jan 08, 2020 10:28 pm Oh, you mean the nine-digit number at the top of the check?
No, that series of numbers has commas, which would be a strange way of rendering an SSN. I am looking at another set of numbers.

KickahaOta

Post by KickahaOta »

The Observer wrote: Thu Jan 09, 2020 1:19 am No, that series of numbers has commas, which would be a strange way of rendering an SSN. I am looking at another set of numbers.
Hmm. Well, this is a digression from the topic anyway, so I'm going to stop staring at checks and go get myself mildly drunk.
Famspear
Knight Templar of the Sacred Tax

Post by Famspear »

I have a document showing Hendrickson's SSN, because his number was inadvertently published years ago. None of the numbers on the check are his SSN.
"My greatest fear is that the audience will beat me to the punch line." -- David Mamet
The Observer
Further Moderator

Post by The Observer »

Ok, thanks for verifying that, Famspear. I was aware of his SSN being exposed before, but I did not retain that information. I was thinking the check above might have been that particular culprit.