Elaine Brown has seen the light and wants to Divorce Ed

ErsatzAnarchist
Tourist to Quatloosia
Tourist to Quatloosia

Elaine Brown has seen the light and wants to Divorce Ed

Post by ErsatzAnarchist »

I wonder if this is sincere remorse of just opportunistic in light of her upcoming re-sentencing.

BTW, I could not figure out how to log into my old account (it has been Many Years) and no longer have access to whatever ancient e-mail I used back them, but my prior username was ErsatzAnatchist or something like that.

From the Concord Monitor:
Imprisoned N.H. tax evader ashamed, wants divorce

By KATHY McCORMACK
Associated Press
Published: 1/17/2020 1:40:05 PM
Modified: 1/17/2020 1:39:10 PM
A lawyer for a woman awaiting re-sentencing with her husband for holding U.S. marshals at bay from their fortress-like home in 2007 says she is ashamed of her actions and is seeking a divorce.

Elaine Brown, now 78, was sentenced to 35 years in prison after the standoff at the couple’s 100-acre property in Plainfield. Her husband, Edward Brown, received a 37-year sentence. The couple were holed up for nine months after they stopped showing up in court in the middle of their trial on tax evasion charges.

“She deeply regrets that, after a lifetime of professionalism, honesty, and hard work, she chose to follow her husband down a rabbit hole of extremism, disobedience, and ultimately, criminality,” her lawyer wrote in a federal court motion filed Thursday.

Elaine Brown, a dentist, and Edward Brown, an exterminator, were initially convicted of failing to pay taxes on $1.9 million of income over eight years. The couple said the federal income tax is unconstitutional. Their argument, repeatedly rejected by courts, was that no law authorizes the federal income tax and that the 1913 constitutional amendment permitting it was never properly ratified.

The Browns were sentenced in absentia to five years in prison. Anti-tax crusaders and out-of-state militia groups rallied to their cause before U.S. marshals posing as supporters gained entry to their home and discovered weapons, explosives and booby traps.

The couple were sentenced on the new charges in 2009. One charge against them, carrying and possessing a destructive device in connection with a crime of violence, carried a mandatory minimum sentence of 30 years. It was vacated in light of a U.S. Supreme Court decision last year that found the “crime of violence” term unconstitutionally vague. The Browns are scheduled for re-sentencing on their remaining counts at separate hearings on Jan. 31.

Elaine Brown’s lawyer, Jeffrey Levin, is asking that she be released and supervised following the more than 12 years she’s already served. But she could still be imprisoned for at least another decade, according to sentencing guidelines. The government hasn’t responded yet, and Edward Brown’s lawyer hasn’t filed paperwork on a revised sentence request yet.

Levin wrote that Elaine Brown’s years in prison have “chastened and humbled her.” She apologized publicly in a letter to her home paper in 2014. She has been a library clerk, volunteer and student who recently completed an 18-month multi-faith-based program for spiritual growth. She also suffers from COPD and other ailments.

Levin wrote that Elaine Brown kept in contact with Edward for many years via email, but has recently initiated divorce proceedings and “wants nothing to do with him.” Elaine Brown has declined to appear in court, while Edward Brown requested to be brought in from prison.

Elaine Brown hopes to live a quiet life with her grown children from a prior marriage. Levin wrote, “at the time she thought it was her Christian duty to stand by her husband, but understands now that she was wrong and that her loyalty to Edward was badly misplaced.”

Her children, in recent interviews with investigators, described Edward as controlling and manipulative. “Elaine was easy to sponge off of and Edward stopped working shortly after he moved in with her,” an investigator wrote, quoting Elaine’s daughter. “Elaine came from an environment where a woman is a wife and mother first. Edward took advantage of that mentality.”

A lawyer for Edward Brown said he couldn’t comment.
notorial dissent
A Balthazar of Quatloosian Truth

Re: Elaine Brown has seen the light and wants to Divorce Ed

Post by notorial dissent »

I suspect her change of heart is true. Being out from under Ed's thumb has to finally have had some effect, eventually. My impression is that she has always been easily lead and has limited will of her own. Not that it excuses her not knowing right from wrong.
The fact that you sincerely and wholeheartedly believe that the “Law of Gravity” is unconstitutional and a violation of your sovereign rights, does not absolve you of adherence to it.
Jeffrey
Admiral of the Quatloosian Seas

Post by Jeffrey »

Good for her.
Number Six
Hereditary Margrave of Mooloosia

Post by Number Six »

I've heard people say that even one day in prison is unforgettable, with ptsd and other conditions that develop after a while. I watched an interview of Jimmy Hoffa by Dick Cavet from the early 70s recently where tough guy Hoffa was crying out for prison reform. Waves of prison reform have gone through for years, but they are still very tough places that tend to make criminals better in their cunning when they get out, more hardened.

Elaine no doubt wants to get out of the intense pain she has been in for now 15 plus years right? What gives a person self-esteem and value? Work, meaningful relationships, positive activities on a daily basis. I don't know how Ed went down the road he did, probably he had deep trauma from his early childhood of some nature that caused him to rebel against all authority. Most people turn away from the cliff, instead of driving over recklessly abandoning real hope. His type of absolutist is not all that common, but the prisons have their share.
'There are two kinds of injustice: the first is found in those who do an injury, the second in those who fail to protect another from injury when they can.' (Roman. Cicero, De Off. I. vii)

'Choose loss rather than shameful gains.' (Chilon Fr. 10. Diels)
The Observer
Further Moderator

Post by The Observer »

notorial dissent wrote: Fri Jan 17, 2020 7:18 pm I suspect her change of heart is true. Being out from under Ed's thumb has to finally have had some effect, eventually. My impression is that she has always been easily lead and has limited will of her own. Not that it excuses her not knowing right from wrong.
While I agree with your conclusions, I have to consider how much impact the re-sentencing requirement had in influencing Elaine to make this move. My cynical side suggests that announcing a divorce request is an attempt to convince the judge that he should let her out.
"I could be dead wrong on this" - Irwin Schiff

"Do you realize I may even be delusional with respect to my income tax beliefs? " - Irwin Schiff
notorial dissent

Oh, I agree, entirely a possibility, just not one that would have happened around Ed and under Ed's dominion. I 'm also just not convinced she has that type of mind, she just doesn't strike me as the think it through type to me, she married Ed if there is any question. I 'm more interested to see what the recs are come sentencing.
The fact that you sincerely and wholeheartedly believe that the “Law of Gravity” is unconstitutional and a violation of your sovereign rights, does not absolve you of adherence to it.
GlimDropper

Post by GlimDropper »

Elaine's Motion on Resentencing: [Link]

One excerpt:
Elaine takes full responsibility for her offenses of conviction. She is ashamed and
embarrassed of what she has done, and has tried in her way to make amends. She deeply regrets
that, after a lifetime of professionalism, honesty, and hard work, she chose to follow her husband
down a rabbit hole of extremism, disobedience, and, ultimately, criminality. Elaine is now in the
process of obtaining a divorce, having concluded over time that her loyalty to her husband was
badly misplaced. Elaine hopes that the Court will see that she has changed, and allow her to
spend her remaining years in the community, with her brother and his wife and with her two
adult children, both of whom are loving and supportive.

Hat tip to Paths of the Sea for the file.
Number Six
Hereditary Margrave of Mooloosia

Post by Number Six »

"The couple were sentenced on the new charges in 2009. One charge against them, carrying and possessing a destructive device in connection with a crime of violence, carried a mandatory minimum sentence of 30 years. It was vacated in light of a U.S. Supreme Court decision last year that found the “crime of violence” term unconstitutionally vague'.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_St ... vis_(2019)
'There are two kinds of injustice: the first is found in those who do an injury, the second in those who fail to protect another from injury when they can.' (Roman. Cicero, De Off. I. vii)

'Choose loss rather than shameful gains.' (Chilon Fr. 10. Diels)
GlimDropper

Post by GlimDropper »

Boston dot com link:
Woman who was in armed standoff over tax evasion to be freed

CONCORD, N.H. (AP) — Elaine Brown, who took part in a months long armed standoff against U.S. marshals in 2007 to protest a tax evasion conviction, can be released after serving over 12 years in prison, a federal judge ruled Friday.

Brown, 78, was re-sentenced in federal court in New Hampshire after a U.S. Supreme Court decision last year affected her case. One charge that carried a mandatory minimum 30-year sentence was vacated. She is scheduled to be released Feb. 28.

When Brown, who appeared by video from a prison medical center in Texas, heard the decision, she put her hands to her mouth and began to cry. So did her daughter, who pleaded for her mother’s release.

“Her true self has come out,” Bethany Hatch said in court before her mother was resentenced. “She’s apologized profusely to my family. … It takes a lot of courage to realize when you have done something wrong, and how many people it has affected.”
If she's had a genuine change of heart I'm glad for her. Let's see if she'll still divorce the bastard now that she'll be free.
notorial dissent

Well color me shocked, hopefully it will be new and a good start for her.
The Observer
Further Moderator

Post by The Observer »

GlimDropper wrote: Fri Jan 31, 2020 9:03 pm Let's see if she'll still divorce the bastard now that she'll be free.
That is a good standard to judge her apparent remorse, but my cynicism reminds me that even divorcees can still end up going back to their former spouses. It is has been my opinion that Elaine got involved with Ed due to her lack of self-esteem and the desire to have a spouse, regardless of the cost. I have seen that issue motivate people, women particularly, to keep going back to the abuser time and time again.

In the meantime, it appears that justice has been served and Elaine can get out. I certainly hope that Ed does not get the same result; it will just mean that he will be crowing about how "right" he really was and stir up another mess of trouble.

"Do you realize I may even be delusional with respect to my income tax beliefs? " - Irwin Schiff
Frater I*I
Devilish Hyena

Post by Frater I*I »

The Observer wrote: Sat Feb 01, 2020 2:15 pm
GlimDropper wrote: Fri Jan 31, 2020 9:03 pm Let's see if she'll still divorce the bastard now that she'll be free.
That is a good standard to judge her apparent remorse, but my cynicism reminds me that even divorcees can still end up going back to their former spouses. It is has been my opinion that Elaine got involved with Ed due to her lack of self-esteem and the desire to have a spouse, regardless of the cost. I have seen that issue motivate people, women particularly, to keep going back to the abuser time and time again.

In the meantime, it appears that justice has been served and Elaine can get out. I certainly hope that Ed does not get the same result; it will just mean that he will be crowing about how "right" he really was and stir up another mess of trouble.
He will, his other co-conspirators, Jason Gerhard and Daniel Riley were released on 30JAN20.
Gazer Into the SovCit Abyss
Jeffrey

Post by Jeffrey »

Isn’t Ed the leader? Don’t they usually get extra time?
grixit
Recycler of Paytriot Fantasies

Post by grixit »

Frater I*I wrote: Sat Feb 01, 2020 5:26 pm
The Observer wrote: Sat Feb 01, 2020 2:15 pm

He will, his other co-conspirators, Jason Gerhard and Daniel Riley were released on 30JAN20.
They were? I missed that.

I guess Elaine will live with her sister. I hope she settles for Social Security and doesn't try to get back into dentistry, it would just waste more of her time.

As for the others, cross fingers, but i can see them going on the sovcit lecture circuit.
Three cheers for the Lesser Evil!

10 . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 2
. . . . . . Dr Pepper
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . .. . . 4
The Observer
Further Moderator

Post by The Observer »

Well, here is a fan page for the whole crew: https://yearofjubile.com/edelaine. Even has paintings that the Dogwalker supposedly did in prison.

Pottapaug1938
Supreme Prophet (Junior Division)

Post by Pottapaug1938 »

I can understand why Elaine was released; but I will be willing to bet that Ed will remain in prison, for the rest of his life, upon resentencing.
"We've been attacked by the intelligent, educated segment of the culture." -- Pastor Ray Mummert, Dover, PA, during an attempt to introduce creationism -- er, "intelligent design", into the Dover Public Schools
Frater I*I
Devilish Hyena

Post by Frater I*I »

Pottapaug1938 wrote: Mon Feb 03, 2020 3:11 pm I can understand why Elaine was released; but I will be willing to bet that Ed will remain in prison, for the rest of his life, upon resentencing.
Going to be difficult, the remain charges that Brown has he's already served the max time for. The US Attorney is asking for all the sentences to now run consecutive, but that's going to be a hard sell. Personally I want to see Brown in prison for the rest of his life, but I have doubts that's going to happen. Yet it's still heartwarming to know that you can't keep a SovCit down, and inevitably Brown, Gerhard, & Riley will end up back in the loving care of a jail house somewhere.

Gerhard's the one I really worry about.
Pottapaug1938
Supreme Prophet (Junior Division)

Post by Pottapaug1938 »

Frater I*I wrote: Mon Feb 03, 2020 11:20 pm
Pottapaug1938 wrote: Mon Feb 03, 2020 3:11 pm I can understand why Elaine was released; but I will be willing to bet that Ed will remain in prison, for the rest of his life, upon resentencing.
Going to be difficult, the remain charges that Brown has he's already served the max time for. The US Attorney is asking for all the sentences to now run consecutive, but that's going to be a hard sell. Personally I want to see Brown in prison for the rest of his life, but I have doubts that's going to happen. Yet it's still heartwarming to know that you can't keep a SovCit down, and inevitably Brown, Gerhard, & Riley will end up back in the loving care of a jail house somewhere.

Gerhard's the one I really worry about.
Please correct me if I'm wrong; but didn't Ed simply win a resentencing, and not an acquittal or shortening of the sentence on the main charges?
"We've been attacked by the intelligent, educated segment of the culture." -- Pastor Ray Mummert, Dover, PA, during an attempt to introduce creationism -- er, "intelligent design", into the Dover Public Schools
grixit
Recycler of Paytriot Fantasies

Post by grixit »

Not too bad. I think Riley could actually make a living. But Dogwalker Illustrations just doesn't sound as cool as Dogwalker: Vindication.
Three cheers for the Lesser Evil!

10 . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 2
. . . . . . Dr Pepper
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . .. . . 4
Frater I*I
Devilish Hyena

Post by Frater I*I »

Seems like LoneDummy1776 got to record Brown from a NH jail house, it's 20 mins, and I haven't listened to it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dKXNdPD4XYI&t=1s